Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Any REAL football fans here? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 74

2014-01-03 8:55 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Subject: RE: Any REAL football fans here?

Originally posted by Kido

Originally posted by crowny2

Well, my be joining the thread...

My passion for football as been renewed a bit.  Played a bit in HS and LOVED IT back then.  Watched "Soccer Made in Germany" religiously.  Even indoor when STL had the Steamers...  

I have found more and more to watch on NBC sports network which is cool... and even playing a bit of FIFA 14.

I guess I default to MU as "my team" without any real reason other than popularity.  I'm sure I will figure out who I like more that I watch.  Right now?  I just like watching games - any games - without much favoritism.

ManUre?!?!?!?!  That's like cheering for the Yankees (patooey!). 

Well, I could have taken the easy route and just pick the team with the best record and go with them!  MU is stinky this year...  much like the Yankees will be, I suppose.

Heh.  True enough. 

Maybe this will help you chose (http://www.nbcsports.com/joe-posnanski/how-pick-premier-league-club)

Or this (http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/08/your-guide-to-picking-a-favorite-premier-league-team/)

2014-01-09 9:57 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Expert
Parker, Co
Hearing Bradley may be headed to Toronto with Defoe....that would be a very bad move for him and the US soccer scene in general. Defoe i can see although there is a dirth of good english strikers so he could still find a home in the EPL I would think.

Bradley is the beacon of hope for US players - he is the shining star on the international scene....he should learn from Dempsey - it wont be a good move in terms of international visibility and it would end his European options...

Big fish in a little pond may fill his bank account but wont help his career or US soccer overall
2014-01-09 11:04 AM
in reply to: Bcozican

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Watched Barcelona play a couple games this week.  (forgive my newbieness).  Man, those guys are as good as their EA FIFA 14 counterpart....  Yikes.

2014-01-09 11:08 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Another super newbie question...

So, in my limited introduction, is Qatar trying to buy their way into football?

I only ask since they sponsor one of the best teams in the world (if not the best) and they are that way because they have a huge payroll...  AND they are getting the world cup in 2022?  Did they promise state of the art infrastructure and stadiums for that?

Also, is there a salary cap on teams like American sports or can you just spend like crazy and get the world's best and buy a championship?

2014-01-09 12:20 PM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Bcozican Hearing Bradley may be headed to Toronto with Defoe....that would be a very bad move for him and the US soccer scene in general. Defoe i can see although there is a dirth of good english strikers so he could still find a home in the EPL I would think. Bradley is the beacon of hope for US players - he is the shining star on the international scene....he should learn from Dempsey - it wont be a good move in terms of international visibility and it would end his European options... Big fish in a little pond may fill his bank account but wont help his career or US soccer overall

I saw that too and was super disappointed.  Problem is, he has only played about 11 our of 18 games this year and only started in I think 5.  I'm wondering if it is a play time worry for him and not being fit for the WC.  My concern is yours though.  I think it is a bad move.  The US has now had two relatively high profile players abandon European competition to come home.  It is a step in the wrong direction.

2014-01-09 12:21 PM

User image

Champion

Watched Barcelona play a couple games this week.  (forgive my newbieness).  Man, those guys are as good as their EA FIFA 14 counterpart....  Yikes.

Messi is absolutely unreal.  I LOVE watching him play and had the pleasure of doing so in Barca last March at a match.  He is, BY FAR, one of the best players ever to play the game.

2014-01-09 12:25 PM

User image

Champion

Another super newbie question...

So, in my limited introduction, is Qatar trying to buy their way into football?

I only ask since they sponsor one of the best teams in the world (if not the best) and they are that way because they have a huge payroll...  AND they are getting the world cup in 2022?  Did they promise state of the art infrastructure and stadiums for that?

Also, is there a salary cap on teams like American sports or can you just spend like crazy and get the world's best and buy a championship?

My understanding is that they promised air conditioned, open air stadiums to deal with the heat.  Now it appears they may not be able to come through on that promise.  So now there is word that they will move the competition from the Summer to the Winter which would royally screw with every professional league on the planet EXCEPT the US.  There was also quite a bit of controversy over their winning it as it was the same year the US was trying to win. 

As to the salary cap question no there isn't, at least not like we have hear.  However, there has been a relatively new rule implemented about financial fair play. It has to do with how much money the club can actually lose each year in an attempt to level the playing field.  It is also quite controversial as many argue that it really won't help those outside of the top 8-10 teams compete.   

2014-01-10 12:56 AM

User image

windsor, Ontario
Just noticed this thread. Huge Chelsea supporter here.
2014-01-10 8:09 AM
in reply to: GregDufour

User image

Champion

Originally posted by GregDufour Just noticed this thread. Huge Chelsea supporter here.

We won't hold that against you. 

Welcome.  Hopefully we can get more to join in on the fun.

2014-01-13 9:24 AM

User image

Champion

Another weekend of footy has come and gone.  And more interestingly, we are that much closer to the crowning of the Ballon D'or.  Some think it is a happless task.

2014-01-13 9:50 AM

Just saw this thread too. Aston Villa fan here....I assume I'm probably the only one here, right?

2014-01-13 10:02 AM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

New user
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Originally posted by LarchmontTri

Just saw this thread too. Aston Villa fan here....I assume I'm probably the only one here, right?

Nope. I'm lurking here too. I'm relieved that this season looks like it will be less of a nail-biter than last year.
2014-01-13 10:13 AM
in reply to: hgoudreau

Originally posted by hgoudreau

Nope. I'm lurking here too. I'm relieved that this season looks like it will be less of a nail-biter than last year.

Glad to see that there is another Villain here! Today's match against Arsenal...we could really use a point, or three. Agree that this season should be less nail biting than last year, but Bentenke has to find his touch again, and we need to strengthen our midfield before the January window closes.

UTV!

2014-01-13 11:15 AM

User image

Expert
Parker, Co
The heir apparent to the Ballon D'Or missed an open goal this weekend... Suarez looks better than Ronaldo these days
2014-01-13 11:26 AM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Bcozican The heir apparent to the Ballon D'Or missed an open goal this weekend... Suarez looks better than Ronaldo these days

He is remarkable, isn't he?  Before this weekend, he was scoring a goal every 67 minutes.  I have no idea what the goals yesterday did to that rate.  It is unreal.  Just unreal.  22 goals in 16 games  is a rate of 1.375 goals per game and that is missing 6 of the first games of the season.  Still hate what he did last year to the reputation to the club but good god, that is untouchable.

2014-01-13 11:28 AM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Champion

Originally posted by LarchmontTri Just saw this thread too. Aston Villa fan here....I assume I'm probably the only one here, right?
Glad to see that there is another Villain here! Today's match against Arsenal...we could really use a point, or three. Agree that this season should be less nail biting than last year, but Bentenke has to find his touch again, and we need to strengthen our midfield before the January window closes. UTV!

See if you can steal a win from those Gunners please.  I would like my boys in red to stay in 4th. 

2014-01-13 11:40 AM
in reply to: hgoudreau

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Originally posted by LarchmontTri Just saw this thread too. Aston Villa fan here....I assume I'm probably the only one here, right?

Welcome to the footy thread you two! It's great to see this thread on the front page so often these days!

2014-01-13 1:08 PM
in reply to: zed707

Originally posted by zed707

Welcome to the footy thread you two! It's great to see this thread on the front page so often these days!

My mood will def get better and I'll contribute more if Villa start to play better! All joking aside, glad to see their are some proper football fans around here.

2014-01-13 3:51 PM

User image

Champion

Hey stranger!!!  I'm happy to see some fresh blood here. 

Thinking come late May or early June I'll start a WC only thread like we did last time.  Although this year it will be different because the games won't be at such wonky hours. 

2014-01-13 11:03 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Originally posted by crowny2

Hey stranger!!!  I'm happy to see some fresh blood here. 

Thinking come late May or early June I'll start a WC only thread like we did last time.  Although this year it will be different because the games won't be at such wonky hours. 

Hey Crowny! Yeah, I've been mostly just lurking around recently but have enjoyed reading yours and Bcozican's posts. I hope he sticks around, I've learned a lot from you guys.

I watched the ManU game this weekend vs. Swansea City. It's interesting to see the panic and discontent. I know that doesn't hurt your feelings. LOL.

Good job on your guys this year, I watch them when they come up too.

And yes, I like the idea of another WC thread.

Long live the footy thread!

2014-01-15 12:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Ok, topic that's frequently discussed.  The FLOP.

I just know it's part of the culture and I explain it that way to people.  I also know they are trying to clean it up.  But man, it STILL get's to me.  Some guy goes down and writhes around in pain holding their leg or face and the slow motion replay clearly shows small or no contact on occasions.  Also, the NBA is good for it too.

I played throughout grade school and high school and never saw anyone go down like that unless it was obviously something pretty nasty.

What's good (but still looks silly) is that now refs are letting it go - so the guy is rolling around like a baby expecting something that will never come...  I guess if you are going to take a dive, then you better play it out and not just "recover" or they might think you are crying wolf every time.

End rant.

Edited by Kido 2014-01-15 12:25 PM

2014-01-15 2:52 PM

User image

Expert
Parker, Co
Its in American football too - wide receivers flop to get a PI call, linemen fall over to stop the momentum of a no huddle offense etc....its permeated beyond our Football...and its not a good thing....but at least they cannot single our beautiful game out any more - we have infected the other sports
2014-01-15 3:30 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

In my opinion, I often think that the problem is over-exaggerated by the haters that are looking for a way to ridicule a globally popular sport that they don't enjoy or understand. I know that you're raising the issue as a fan, Kido, and I understand that. But for me I just accept it as a small part of the beautiful game. I've watched a lot of games in which I didn't see a single obvious flop. Football is a very physical game and IMO the majority, or vast majority, of the time that players go to the ground it's not a flop.

2014-01-15 3:44 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I'm not hating on the game.  Like I said.  Played it for 8 years myself.  But as a sports fan, don't like it.  Don't like it in the NBA or any sport.  I know most of the time it's legitimate, but far too many times it's contrived.

Shoot, it's gamesmanship to try and draw a foul - I don't mind that or the "flop".  I get that.  But if that doesn't work, get up and start playing.  I often wonder if they put their team at a disadvantage if they are rolling around in fake pain instead of marking a man.  Rolling around like you have a broken leg, then getting up and running without even a limp?  Weird.  The guy who JUST got stretchered off, sprints back onto the pitch.  LOL.

Part of the game but it's also a distraction.  I find myself look at the guy rolling around in the corner of the screen wondering if they are going to do something rather than the game play.

2014-01-16 8:29 AM

User image

Champion

In my opinion, I often think that the problem is over-exaggerated by the haters that are looking for a way to ridicule a globally popular sport that they don't enjoy or understand. I know that you're raising the issue as a fan, Kido, and I understand that. But for me I just accept it as a small part of the beautiful game. I've watched a lot of games in which I didn't see a single obvious flop. Football is a very physical game and IMO the majority, or vast majority, of the time that players go to the ground it's not a flop.

Of course it is over exagerated by those that dislike the game.  They can't think of anything better to go after.   

At the same time, the excessive flopping (Cole, Suarez, many others) is hated by football fans too.  All that being said, I think this year seems to have been a bit better in that regard.  Or at least how the officiating crew is handling it seems to be better.  At least the games I've watched it seems to have been better.  Over all.  But that is anecdotally.  I'm wondering if there are any stats to back it up.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Any REAL football fans here? Rss Feed  

of 74