Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Any REAL football fans here? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 74

2014-01-16 9:45 AM
in reply to: crowny2

New user
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Subject: RE: Any REAL football fans here?
Very important question for the group - will Yaya Toure (midfielder for Man City) be in the lineup for this Saturday's game or will his back injury see him sit it out?

I need to decide whether to keep him in my fantasy team lineup for this week, or sub him out.. I have until early Saturday morning to make my final starting lineup for the week. Thoughts?

2014-01-16 10:29 AM
in reply to: hgoudreau

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by hgoudreau Very important question for the group - will Yaya Toure (midfielder for Man City) be in the lineup for this Saturday's game or will his back injury see him sit it out? I need to decide whether to keep him in my fantasy team lineup for this week, or sub him out.. I have until early Saturday morning to make my final starting lineup for the week. Thoughts?

Excellent question.  I also have him starting.  Right now it doesn't sound good.  I'm going to put him on my bench as I'm not confident he will be ready.  Even with the rest he got in the FA cup. 

2014-01-16 11:01 AM

User image

Expert
Parker, Co
Who is your alternative to put in instead? Never could keep up with the Fantasy stuff...
2014-01-16 11:19 AM
in reply to: 0

New user
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Originally posted by Bcozican

Who is your alternative to put in instead? Never could keep up with the Fantasy stuff...

Well, that's part of my issue. one of my other mids is also likely out, which means Yaya Toure would be replaced by a defender (Lovren - for Southhampton). The EPL fantasy league gives players points just for playing (i.e. they get 2 points if they play the full 90 minutes), so I would rather have a lineup that is entirely in a game rather than have a player who may not play at all, even though that player would likely get extra points if they do play. Make sense?

This is my first year trying the fantasy league (some friends of mine are running a sub-league and invited me to join). It's been a bit of a learning curve, but fun; although each week is now becoming an internal struggle of hoping my team (Villa) wins while also hoping my fantasy players do well (even if they are playing against Villa).

Edited by hgoudreau 2014-01-16 11:26 AM
2014-01-16 11:48 AM

User image

Expert
Parker, Co
..and thats my dilemma with fantasy sports..i spent too much time looking at my team rather than just the game...Lovrens is a good defender...ithey play Sunderland a weaker team so he could score and they could get a shut out so might be a good choice

Edited by Bcozican 2014-01-16 11:58 AM
2014-01-16 1:57 PM
in reply to: Bcozican

User image

Sensei
Sin City

There is fantasy soccer?  (of COURSE there is.  If you can have fantasy golf, you can have fantasy soccer).

Can you give me a rundown on how it scores?  Do you pick new players every week?

2014-01-16 2:23 PM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Kido

There is fantasy soccer?  (of COURSE there is.  If you can have fantasy golf, you can have fantasy soccer).

Can you give me a rundown on how it scores?  Do you pick new players every week?

The one I use is on ESPN.  Don't know how good it is compared to others.  Essentially you have a budget to pick your starting players as well as 1 substitute per main area (GK, Defender, Midfield, Striker).  You also get a set number of transfers for the section of the season (they split first 1/2 from second 1/2).  Scoring depends on the position, time played, scoring, Captain gets 2X, etc. 

For me it is a set it and forget it.  I'll check each week to see how they performed but I don't put a hell of a lot of time into it.  I love the game too much. 

http://games.espn.go.com/premier-fantasy/2014/en_gb/game 

Edited by crowny2 2014-01-16 2:24 PM
2014-01-21 2:54 PM

User image

Champion

On a completely different note, I honestly thought that this year the average score per game was up.  It just felt like it, especially with all of the really high scoring games.  That is not the case.  According to (http://www.soccerstats.com/latest.asp?league=england_2013) the numbers are running down slightly. 

'13-'14 = 2.7

'12-'13 = 2.80

'11-'12 = 2.81

'10-'11 = 2.80

'09-'10 = 2.77

'08-'09 = 2.48

I haven't drilled down to see if there are just a few more "BIG" scores and just a lot of average 1.5per game scores.  Just looking at other leagues for this year only. Based on these numbers, Germany is the most exciting and the US scores more than Brazil.  Who'da thunkit?  LOL!  I know, I know, stats, stats, stats.  Maybe I'll play with these further and see if I can come up with a pretty table for a great discussion.

Spain = 2.88
Italy = 2.77
Germany =  3.2
Brazil = 2.44
USA = 2.62
Mexico = 1.85 (this is second leg that started recently)

2014-01-23 10:47 AM

User image

Expert
Parker, Co
As Manure struggles..and we all smile....the financial impact is startling - these are pounds so multiply by 1.5

1. £10m loss in broadcasting revenues due to finishing 7th vs. 1st last year in the PL.

2. £30m loss in broadcasting revenues from not being in the Champions League

3. £14m loss in match day revenues from on average 5 less home CL games.

4. Likely increase in expenses of between £10-£20m due to signing higher contracts to retain existing players and attract top-quality players to return to Champions League next year.
2014-01-23 11:12 AM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Bcozican As Manure struggles..and we all smile....the financial impact is startling - these are pounds so multiply by 1.5 1. £10m loss in broadcasting revenues due to finishing 7th vs. 1st last year in the PL. 2. £30m loss in broadcasting revenues from not being in the Champions League 3. £14m loss in match day revenues from on average 5 less home CL games. 4. Likely increase in expenses of between £10-£20m due to signing higher contracts to retain existing players and attract top-quality players to return to Champions League next year.

Stunning.  Keep in mind the impact those loses will have on the "Financial Fair Play" side of things.  Will they actually be able to justify the increase in expenses next year?  They may not. 

2014-02-04 11:13 AM

User image

Champion

Just watched the Ronaldo red card from yesterday.  Deserved?  I'm not convinced.  

2014-02-04 11:27 AM

User image

Expert
Parker, Co
He deserves everything he gets for all his acting over the years....still think Messi is the worlds best player...
2014-02-04 11:51 AM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Bcozican He deserves everything he gets for all his acting over the years....still think Messi is the worlds best player...

LOL!  I agree about Messi.

2014-02-10 12:16 PM

User image

Champion

And another interesting week or two in the BPL.  Is it possible that it will come down to the last weekend to see who will win the whole shebang?

BTW, did you see Messi's 2 goals this weekend.  Unreal!

2014-02-10 12:21 PM

User image

Expert
Parker, Co
You have to be on cloud 9
Great play from Pool - abysmal defending from Arse - the BFG was awful, to the point I kept showing my 15 yo daughter how not to defend using him as the example. Love the fact Rogers has molded this team into what they are....so many nay sayers and instant gratification fans wanted him gone....I am sure he is the next messiah now..

And then on the flip side I was able to show her what practice and skill can do - the two messi goals were outstanding in poor conditions...

I see Man City and Chelski running away at this point....the other 2 CL places will be up for grabs for a while...
2014-02-10 2:53 PM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Bcozican You have to be on cloud 9 Great play from Pool - abysmal defending from Arse - the BFG was awful, to the point I kept showing my 15 yo daughter how not to defend using him as the example. Love the fact Rogers has molded this team into what they are....so many nay sayers and instant gratification fans wanted him gone....I am sure he is the next messiah now.. And then on the flip side I was able to show her what practice and skill can do - the two messi goals were outstanding in poor conditions... I see Man City and Chelski running away at this point....the other 2 CL places will be up for grabs for a while...

You are probably right.  That being said, the only hard away game Liverpool have left are at ManUre.  Every other hard game (Chavski and ManCity) are at home and the rest of the fixtures are against teams they SHOULD beat.  Of course, that is a HUGE should.  They had a tough 1st half away from home and a much more favorable home stand in the second half.

Messi is a wonder to watch.  I now we have said it time and time again but I really can't get over just how good he is.  

2014-02-10 3:35 PM

New user
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Originally posted by Bcozican

He deserves everything he gets for all his acting over the years....still think Messi is the worlds best player...

YES! I can't stand Ronaldo - never could. Messi makes everyone around him better, which to me is the true sign of a legendary athlete.
2014-02-21 9:49 AM
in reply to: hgoudreau

User image

Champion

My boys are finally coming to Chicago to play Olympiakos.  Rumor has it that they will be practicing at UIC which is about a 20 minute walk from my building.  And a colleague of mine here is close friends with the UIC soccer coach so HOPEFULLY I can get some passes to see practice. 

2014-03-12 4:00 PM

User image

Champion

So the season is starting to wind down and get REALLY interesting.  Not just EPL but Barca is NOT having a good year either making La Liga an interesting race.

And just in time for the WC to start heating up.  Anyone interested in doing a BT WC bracket on ESPN for fun?  Happy to set up a group.

2014-03-12 5:13 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Originally posted by crowny2

So the season is starting to wind down and get REALLY interesting.  Not just EPL but Barca is NOT having a good year either making La Liga an interesting race.

And just in time for the WC to start heating up.  Anyone interested in doing a BT WC bracket on ESPN for fun?  Happy to set up a group.

Yes, definitely getting interesting. Your boys have a little match coming up this weekend, don't they?

I'd be in for the WC bracket! You'd want to post in your WC thread to drum up some additional interest.

2014-03-12 5:26 PM
in reply to: zed707

User image

Expert
Parker, Co
Winding down? Arent you an MLS guy....Chicago Fire right? Just getting going for you!
Some cracks in the European powers for sure this year but they are replaced by familiar names....swings and roundabouts.

On another note - Arjen Robben....what a complete and utter oxygen thief - Arsenal needed an enforcer, like Ice Hockey, to send on and just kick the living crap out of him..get the red card and receive a standing O as he walked off...ref could have given 2 yellows for diving and sent him off...instead he gives him a penalty......

In for the WC bracket

2014-03-13 10:44 AM
in reply to: zed707

User image

Champion

Originally posted by zed707

Yes, definitely getting interesting. Your boys have a little match coming up this weekend, don't they?

I'd be in for the WC bracket! You'd want to post in your WC thread to drum up some additional interest.

What do you think?  New WC thread or resurrect the old one?

2014-03-13 10:46 AM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Bcozican Winding down? Arent you an MLS guy....Chicago Fire right? Just getting going for you! Some cracks in the European powers for sure this year but they are replaced by familiar names....swings and roundabouts. On another note - Arjen Robben....what a complete and utter oxygen thief - Arsenal needed an enforcer, like Ice Hockey, to send on and just kick the living crap out of him..get the red card and receive a standing O as he walked off...ref could have given 2 yellows for diving and sent him off...instead he gives him a penalty...... In for the WC bracket

This is true.  However, because of work, I'm not able to justify buying season tickets this year.  My travel has increased so much that I was only able to make a total of 3 matches last year.  Disappointed.  Doesn't mean I won't stop following them. And hopefully, with Frank Yallop at the helm this year we will actually perform a bit better.  Only time will tell.

And I couldn't agree more about Robben.

2014-03-13 10:54 AM

New user
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I'm in on a WC bracket!
2014-03-13 3:26 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Originally posted by zed707

What do you think?  New WC thread or resurrect the old one?

I think it would be interesting to revive the old one, but I couldn't find it. I searched "World Cup" and "soccer" and got nothing. Either way I'm looking forward to it.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Any REAL football fans here? Rss Feed  

of 74