Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Any REAL football fans here? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 74

2014-04-21 2:37 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Subject: RE: Any REAL football fans here?

And I'm now even MORE nervous about the remaining 3 games.  UGH!

On a different note, Moyes appears to be out after the 2-0 thrashing by Everton yesterday.

2014-04-21 3:59 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

I thought you might be posting today, Crowny.  What a great weekend for your boys. I watched the Chelsea/Sunderland game--what a shocker! And it was decided on a very questionable penalty. At first watch, I agreed with to commentators that it was a good call. But then you see some other angles, probably not so much. Just a good example of how hard it is to make that judgement.

I kind of feel bad for Moyes, talk about a pressure cooker job.

2014-04-21 4:15 PM
in reply to: zed707

User image

Champion

Originally posted by zed707

I thought you might be posting today, Crowny.  What a great weekend for your boys. I watched the Chelsea/Sunderland game--what a shocker! And it was decided on a very questionable penalty. At first watch, I agreed with to commentators that it was a good call. But then you see some other angles, probably not so much. Just a good example of how hard it is to make that judgement.

I kind of feel bad for Moyes, talk about a pressure cooker job.

Unfortunately, I think we still need to win out to win.  however, if we beat Chelsea and Man City drop any points in their remaining fixtures, it might not matter what we do in the last two game.  Which is what I hope happens.  I don't know if I can take this kind of stress much longer.  My heart was in my throat at the end of the last two matches.  

As much as I hate ManUre, I feel bad for him too, but I would rather him get bounced out then do well there.  So.... as was said earlier, bye, bye, NEXT.

2014-04-23 4:59 PM

User image

Expert
Parker, Co
Its the most entertaining Manure news I have had in years....their smugness every year about their "stability" and Ferguson and how other teams just manager hop for success all comes out as hypocrisy. Underneath they are no better than the other clubs who are run by large financial backing....Man City, Chelski etc

I also have no sympathy for Moyes - he could never beat the big clubs while at Everton because he always set up to not get beaten...a losing managers perspective...Martinez, even at Wigan, would at least have a go with an inferior team at the Big 4 venues and would succeed on occasion
Deploying the "dont get beat" mentality at Manure ruined their mystique and made them very beatable...just for tearing down the decades of perceived invincibility that surrounded Manure he deserves to make the walk of shame..

However, he gets to walk away with $15M...not bad for 10 months work and complete failure!
2014-04-24 8:36 AM
in reply to: Bcozican

User image

Expert
Woohooo cannot wait for the world cup
2014-04-24 9:09 AM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Bcozican Its the most entertaining Manure news I have had in years....their smugness every year about their "stability" and Ferguson and how other teams just manager hop for success all comes out as hypocrisy. Underneath they are no better than the other clubs who are run by large financial backing....Man City, Chelski etc I also have no sympathy for Moyes - he could never beat the big clubs while at Everton because he always set up to not get beaten...a losing managers perspective...Martinez, even at Wigan, would at least have a go with an inferior team at the Big 4 venues and would succeed on occasion Deploying the "dont get beat" mentality at Manure ruined their mystique and made them very beatable...just for tearing down the decades of perceived invincibility that surrounded Manure he deserves to make the walk of shame.. However, he gets to walk away with $15M...not bad for 10 months work and complete failure!

Yeah.  He's not going to be going for another job any time soon with that kind of payout.

2014-04-27 11:07 AM
in reply to: #4975250

User image

Champion
2014-04-28 11:41 AM

User image

Expert
Parker, Co
Yep - i hate Moanhinho but his tactics worked out for him - he isnt the "great one" he's the freaking "lucky one"

Must be heartbreaking for Stevie G to be the villain in this case

Two games to go - still hope
2014-04-28 12:30 PM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Bcozican Yep - i hate Moanhinho but his tactics worked out for him - he isnt the "great one" he's the freaking "lucky one" Must be heartbreaking for Stevie G to be the villain in this case Two games to go - still hope

I was heartbroken for him.  For that to happen to him, of all people, against them, of all teams.

And I find it ironic that "The Special One" was griping about "Football from the 1800's" and complaining about "parking the bus" when that is exactly what he did.  11 players in the box.  

2014-05-05 4:15 PM

User image

Expert
Parker, Co
2014-05-05 4:29 PM
in reply to: #4987664

User image

Champion
Yep. We don't deserve the title after that performance. Our back line is horrible and for some reason we always fall apart in the second half.

I'm gutted.

2014-05-07 2:02 PM
in reply to: #4991918

User image

Champion
Today I am a Villa fan!!!

2014-05-12 9:01 AM

User image

Champion

It was a hellovarun.  Who would have thought that they would be 2nd this year?  I'm still proud of what they did.  Sad it ended the way it did, but proud of them.  100+ goals, moved from 7th last year to 2nd this year, two of the highest scoring players in the EPL, barely missed setting other individual records.  I would say this year was a huge success.

And now, I guess I should resurrect the WC thread.  Time for a little National Pride!!!  

2014-05-12 3:19 PM

User image

Expert
Parker, Co
Unfortunately you only get one shot to sneak up on someone - i think this was that year for Liverpool - now everyone will be on their game when they play Pool. Its much easier being the hunter than the hunted. Top 4 next year would be a great achievement since Champions league + EPL in the same week is no easy task and requires a deeper squad

WC squads are being announced - good to see Hodgson stay with his MO...and cut some fat and add some more exciting new younger players....still dont think we'll get too far...
2014-05-13 8:54 AM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Bcozican Unfortunately you only get one shot to sneak up on someone - i think this was that year for Liverpool - now everyone will be on their game when they play Pool. Its much easier being the hunter than the hunted. Top 4 next year would be a great achievement since Champions league + EPL in the same week is no easy task and requires a deeper squad WC squads are being announced - good to see Hodgson stay with his MO...and cut some fat and add some more exciting new younger players....still dont think we'll get too far...

Don't I know it.  And frankly, the league was starting to get it by the end of the season.  And I agree, Top 4 next year will be another good result.  Closest we have come in 25 years. And yes, we will DEFINITELY need to deepen the squad.  We had the luxury of not playing as many games which helped tremendously.

Hodgson really is laying it on the line, isn't he.  It will be tough for both of our teams to make it out of the group stage and IF we do it will be even harder to make it past the next game.  It is going to be quite the WC.  Looking forward to it.

2014-05-22 9:37 AM

User image

Expert
Parker, Co
Fabulous article on the business of Football....Nike vs Adidas duel for supremacy

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-05-15/2014-world-cup-nike...

Its also laced with facts even the largest neanderthal NFL / Baseball fan cannot deny!

2014-05-22 12:29 PM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Bcozican Fabulous article on the business of Football....Nike vs Adidas duel for supremacy http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-05-15/2014-world-cup-nike... Its also laced with facts even the largest neanderthal NFL / Baseball fan cannot deny!

Nice article.  Thanks for that. 

2014-05-23 4:14 PM

User image

Expert
Parker, Co
No Donovan - what say the BT soccer aficionado's?
Personally i think its the wrong decision - there are 5 players on the roster that wont see the field for a minute - yet you cannot take the most experienced and capped player in USMNT history? Poor choice.

However, I do like that this is being covered everywhere - shows how far Soccer has come in this country
2014-05-27 8:51 AM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Bcozican No Donovan - what say the BT soccer aficionado's? Personally i think its the wrong decision - there are 5 players on the roster that wont see the field for a minute - yet you cannot take the most experienced and capped player in USMNT history? Poor choice. However, I do like that this is being covered everywhere - shows how far Soccer has come in this country

I'm not entirely surprised.  Landon admitted that he can't give it his all every practice and every game a week or two ago.  He said his body just doesn't respond anymore.  And I was thinking about it over the weekend some more.

JK has said he really wants Clint to step up in a leadership role.  So you can't have 2 leaders on the team.  So maybe LD would have spent the entire time on the bench almost as a player coach.  But then I thought, maybe JK is trying to see what other players will step up and be a leader for the future.  Sure he is trying to get the best result out of 2014, but with the draw it will be difficult.  Maybe he is already looking forward to 2018?  Will USMNT keep him on if we get bounced out of the first round?  

Depending on our results, it will either come off looking like a mad genius or a clueless idiot.  

I'm hoping it is the former and not the latter.

2014-05-27 11:23 AM

User image

Expert
Parker, Co
As you know I am not a Dempsey fan - I dont see his leadership on the field and watching the US behind the scene documentaries I dont see it there either.
Donovan could provide counsel to the younger players, has game changing potential if you need it too....I dont see this as a 2018 warm up - JK cannot afford to treat Brazil that way given the more intense media visibility on the World Cup these days

Champions League final - disappointing....and hated to see RM win so late....
2014-05-27 11:40 AM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Bcozican As you know I am not a Dempsey fan - I dont see his leadership on the field and watching the US behind the scene documentaries I dont see it there either. Donovan could provide counsel to the younger players, has game changing potential if you need it too....I dont see this as a 2018 warm up - JK cannot afford to treat Brazil that way given the more intense media visibility on the World Cup these days Champions League final - disappointing....and hated to see RM win so late....

I'm with you on the leadership of Clint.  And maybe JK is trying to force it where it won't ever be with him.  No idea.  

Listen to this rant by Ray Hudson.  http://www.sportsgrid.com/soccer/by-cutting-donovan-jurgen-klinsmann-just-told-the-entire-usmnt-hes-not-messing-around/ 

2014-05-27 1:03 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I know about 20 guys on Atletico will have nightmares for the rest of their lives.  Wow.

2014-05-27 3:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Kido

I know about 20 guys on Atletico will have nightmares for the rest of their lives.  Wow.

Yep.

ETA: The coverage was horrible.  Wynalda and Johnson are really bad.

Edited by crowny2 2014-05-27 3:31 PM
2014-05-27 4:23 PM

User image

Expert
Parker, Co
Originally posted by crowny2

Originally posted by Kido

Yep.

ETA: The coverage was horrible.  Wynalda and Johnson are really bad.

Glad you mentioned the commentators - twitter was on fire slating Johnson..he is so poor, he does not know the game and the endless quoting of wikipedia stats is not what true fans want to hear or care to.....he is a fish out of water. Screaming the name of a player when he shoots ruins the game

Wynalda is clueless - surprising for someone who has played at the highest level. His color commentary is based on the obvious and he is usually wrong. I would rather have McBride do it.

BEIN sport is bad too - Ian Joy takes the 'joy out of the games and I know some like Hudson but he seems to be over the top these days

I hope that the powers that be at FOX/BEIN and NBC choose their commentary teams more carefully because it could kill the momentum the sport is gaining here in the US
'
2014-05-27 5:09 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I found it odd myself.  Despite is Messi man crush, Ray Hudson is fun to listen to.  In fact, I like a lot of the Bein talent.  Ross Dyer, Phil Schoen, etc.  It's weird they did most of the season announcing...  I forget who had the championship game on so if it was different networks, I guess I understand the different talent.

BTW, I'm not too quick to change the channel when Terri Leigh or Ana Cobos shows up (even if I can't understand her).

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Any REAL football fans here? Rss Feed  

of 74