Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Any REAL football fans here? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 74

2014-05-27 6:45 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Any REAL football fans here?

Ugh! I felt kicked in the berries for Atletico, Just the immensity of the moment, them never having won it, and it's snatched away with mere minutes left. You just knew it was over before they even played the OT.

I'm very disappointed about the LD decision. You would think that he deserves the spot based on his contribution to the program.

2014-05-28 12:50 PM
in reply to: Bcozican

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by Bcozican
Originally posted by crowny2

Originally posted by Kido

I know about 20 guys on Atletico will have nightmares for the rest of their lives.  Wow.

Yep.

ETA: The coverage was horrible.  Wynalda and Johnson are really bad.

Glad you mentioned the commentators - twitter was on fire slating Johnson..he is so poor, he does not know the game and the endless quoting of wikipedia stats is not what true fans want to hear or care to.....he is a fish out of water. Screaming the name of a player when he shoots ruins the game Wynalda is clueless - surprising for someone who has played at the highest level. His color commentary is based on the obvious and he is usually wrong. I would rather have McBride do it. BEIN sport is bad too - Ian Joy takes the 'joy out of the games and I know some like Hudson but he seems to be over the top these days I hope that the powers that be at FOX/BEIN and NBC choose their commentary teams more carefully because it could kill the momentum the sport is gaining here in the US '

Yeah, those two are beyond horrible.

I do like Hudson.  And he does actually do a decent job of talking about what is going on and why.  

Darke is still my favorite.  

2014-05-29 8:41 AM

User image

Champion

And this is why Messi is better than CR7.  

http://blog.foxsoccer.com/post/87152937022/cristiano-ronaldo-didnt-celebrate-sergio-ramos-epic 

CR7 may be a better player this year but Messi is a better person.

2014-05-29 9:56 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Parker, Co
He's a self centered #4$$% - and thats why he will never be the best player in the world voted by his peers....he was no where in this game and hasnt produced a performance in a meaningful game for club or country in a while....he hates others getting the accolades even on his own team - I would imagine that the relationship with Bale at training is a little frosty....
I hope he fails miserably at the WC so everyone can see what a t@t he is!

i guess you'll have to fill inthe blanks as my free speech is being filtered! :-)

Edited by Bcozican 2014-05-29 10:02 AM
2014-05-29 12:55 PM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Bcozican He's a self centered #4$$% - and thats why he will never be the best player in the world voted by his peers....he was no where in this game and hasnt produced a performance in a meaningful game for club or country in a while....he hates others getting the accolades even on his own team - I would imagine that the relationship with Bale at training is a little frosty.... I hope he fails miserably at the WC so everyone can see what a t@t he is! i guess you'll have to fill inthe blanks as my free speech is being filtered! :-)

I couldn't have put it better myself.  I can't stand him.  Never have.  Never will.  I admire his skill but not his character.  

I hope we completely shut him down and obliterate them in our opening round.

2014-06-03 9:22 AM

User image

Expert
Parker, Co
Couple of musings -

USMNT vs Turkey....having watched the behind the scenes programmes and hearing the "diamond" idea it was interesting to see it in use. For background, our Girls HS coach tried this with disastrous effect....and the same can be said for Jurgen!
It gives too much space to the outside players on the opposing team which causes issues with marking, uneven numbered situations at the back - and that's just without the ball!!
With the ball you have no wide outlet until the FB gets up with play...slows the transition and puts more pressure on the central two midfield players to hold the ball. Unless you counter quickly you end up losing the ball...

In 30 years of coaching I have never seen or used this science experiement - though i would love to play AGAINST it!!

Second half they went more conventional 4-4-2 and it looked better....

Toulon U21tournament - this was on BEIN sports - the final had France vs Brazil....in the first half it was 3-2 Brazil....2 penalties both of which were blatant dives and created by the forward...nice to see the youth adopting the senior player tactics....its a shame this has permeated the lower age groups....looks like it will be with us for a long time.

2014-07-18 9:31 AM

User image

Champion

Now that the WC is over, let's pick up where we left off.

Everyone ready for the season to start soon?

Any predictions?

Any trade thoughts (now that "The Cannibal" has been sent to Barca)?

2014-07-18 10:28 AM

User image

Expert
Parker, Co

Haven't really kept up but lots of good players coming into the top 4....the first few real warm ups should tell the tale...

It would seem the Top 5 have improved - not sure on Spurs yet....so the usual suspects will reign again

2014-07-21 3:56 PM

User image

Champion

Haven't really kept up but lots of good players coming into the top 4....the first few real warm ups should tell the tale...

It would seem the Top 5 have improved - not sure on Spurs yet....so the usual suspects will reign again

The transfers have been coming quick and I haven't kept up on many.  While you say the Top 5 have improved, I'm not certain if the same can be said for Liverpool.  Only time will tell if the sheer creative genius will be missed in The Cannibal.  I just don't see Sterling replacing that creativity.  That being said, it is possible that the replacements (Lallana and Lambert) might help?  

Just saw Evra went to Juventas.  Interesting move.

Drobga is being linked back to Chelsea where Diego Costa and Fabregas has already moved.

Everton is looking at the Columbian Bacca.

Alex Sanchez to Arsenal.

Sagna went from Arsenal to Man City.

Those are the ones I could find with a VERY quick search.  And they worry me.

2014-07-25 4:17 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

So Fat Frank signs for NYC--any thoughts? It seems like he's approaching the end of his career, but should be interesting.

2014-07-25 5:14 PM
in reply to: #1689143

User image

Champion
And supposedly Kaka is going to Orlando when they form. Next year I think.

He is still a good player and like others coming over can make an impact for a team. At least as it relates to play. But eventually we need to make our own good players. The league cannot survive in the retirees forever.

2014-07-25 5:39 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

I hadn't heard about Kaka, that's news.

I agree that the league can't survive on retirees, but these are a couple of marquee names that will generate more interest I believe.

2014-07-28 9:19 AM
in reply to: zed707

User image

Champion

Originally posted by zed707

I hadn't heard about Kaka, that's news.

I agree that the league can't survive on retirees, but these are a couple of marquee names that will generate more interest I believe.

Nice thing is that it isn't just those from other leagues that are coming here, Demarcus Beasley was picked up by Houston.  That will be a nice boost for them, I hope, based on his USMNT performance.

And now Yedlin from Seattle is being linked with Roma.  Which would be nice.  Don't know if he can cut it or not, but I hope we can continue to send guys over to compete at the highest levels.

Also, Julian Green supposedly got a spot on the first team at Bayern.  

2014-07-28 12:53 PM

User image

Expert
Parker, Co

it was pretty obvious that Yedlin was going to get picked up by someone...he has some great qualities and it will be good for his progress to go to Roma.

I was at the Manure Roma game here in Denver, it was funny to hear the crowd boo Ashley Cole on every touch....bet he didnt expect that.

I wasnt impressed with the new look ManUre - they were flattered by playing the Second string Roma team with their First team...but they didnt dominate by any means!

2014-07-28 2:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion

it was pretty obvious that Yedlin was going to get picked up by someone...he has some great qualities and it will be good for his progress to go to Roma.

I was at the Manure Roma game here in Denver, it was funny to hear the crowd boo Ashley Cole on every touch....bet he didnt expect that.

I wasnt impressed with the new look ManUre - they were flattered by playing the Second string Roma team with their First team...but they didnt dominate by any means!

And Van Gaal ripped them afterwards too.  How about that 50-60 yarder strike by Roma to pull one back?  HA!  Loved it.

I was at the 'Pool v Olympiacos match yesterday.  I was pleased with only the first 10-15 minutes of play.  They put some crazy pressure on the Greeks with the three-pronged attack of Sterling, Sturridge and now Markovic.  He is not bad.  And there were some opportunities for Lambert to show promise in the second half, but overall it was a lack luster friendly.  Although it did get a little chippy and there were quite a few yellow's shown.  

Edited by crowny2 2014-07-28 2:25 PM
2014-07-29 2:53 PM

User image

Champion

Impact of Financial Fair Play (FFP).  I think bcozian was the one that talked about the potential impact it would have.  Here is the fruits of that policy it appears.

http://www.espnfc.us/blog/espn-fc-united-blog/68/post/1964442/southampton-exodus-simply-and-sadly-shows-submission-to-footballs-hierarchy 

2014-08-11 7:44 AM
in reply to: #1689143

User image

Champion
Men in Blazers are moving to NBC!
2014-08-11 10:22 AM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Originally posted by crowny2 Men in Blazers are moving to NBC!

Cool! I have to admit that I haven't seen their show, but it looks great. America loves their sports talk shows, so hopefully this does well on NBC. I'll be watching.

2014-08-11 12:22 PM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by crowny2 Men in Blazers are moving to NBC!

Cool! I have to admit that I haven't seen their show, but it looks great. America loves their sports talk shows, so hopefully this does well on NBC. I'll be watching.

I've been listening to their podcast ever since bcozian recommended it a few years ago.  They are so flipping funny.  I hope they can still do the pods, cause I love them.  Very insightful but in a VERY irreverent way.

2014-08-14 4:03 PM

User image

Champion

And so it begins this weekend.  Everybody ready?

2014-08-15 12:36 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

I know, it's hard to believe it's time already! Definitely looking forward to the EPL and the Sounders are having a really good season as well.

2014-08-15 12:47 PM

User image

Champion

I know, it's hard to believe it's time already! Definitely looking forward to the EPL and the Sounders are having a really good season as well.

Yeah, they embarrassed the hell out of Chicago in the Open cup earlier this week.  I think it might actually be a record defeat for us.

2014-08-15 2:41 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

In the spirit of good sportsmanship, I chose not to mention that

2014-08-15 3:40 PM

User image

Champion

In the spirit of good sportsmanship, I chose not to mention that

Thanks.  

2014-08-19 9:13 AM

User image

Expert
Parker, Co

Week 1 in the books - i wasnt that impressed with the Big 4 teams this weekend, City/Pool and Arsenal all were fortunate to get a win and didnt look substantially better with their new players. Its always interesting in the first few weeks where the middle or lower pack teams are fresh, rested and rejuvenated enough to put in a cohesive performance against so called superior teams. i attribute that to the fact that the Top teams have generally had players at a major World or European tournament and a pre-season tour somewhere in the world so players are still mentally and physically fatigued and the they have not had the time to integrate the one or two new signings from the summer....

This usually dissipates as the season draws on and the lower teams face injuries and fatigue that then shows them drop in form.That said - i was happy to see Southampton play so well....it was amusing to watch Rodgers reaction to the Sturridge winner.....he showed the pressure that is now on him vs the relaxed demeanor of someone with lower expectations - easier to be the hunter than the hunted.

The other interesting point was the fact that new players emerge who were either cast off by larger clubs or brought in from lower leagues domestic or abroad....Newcastle player Cabelllas impressed as did Tasic for Southampton...i still maintain the belief that there are many bargains out there if the top teams just cast their net a lot further and have faith.

And finally......the wife was not ecstatic to see the EPL return....sshhh....La Liga and Serie A are still to come!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Any REAL football fans here? Rss Feed  

of 74