TriCatSports
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 56m 3s
Overall Rank = 27/79
Age Group = M 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Picked up packet the day prior and checked out the bike race course. Clean Aero drink container, fill drink containers, pack.

Race morning - usual whole wheat bagel with raspberries and almond butter, protein shake (Ensure), coffee.
Event warmup:

Short swim in the lake to test the water and attempt to warm up arms.
Swim
  • 34m 52s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

No overall rankings. Now the race isn�t USAT-sanctioned, so wetsuits are optional. Supposedly the water temp is 80 degrees but we�re not really buying this. Ken goes for his john. I brought mine but if it�s warm enough, I think I�ll be okay without it. It�s a tough decision for me. Do I gain a bit in the swim only to lose it in transition? I decided to test the water and it felt okay to me though it didn�t feel like 80 degrees. I go for a short test swim and am quickly engulfed in water plants/seaweed. Yup, just near the shore only but they did get around my legs and arms as I�m trying to move forward. After this, I decide not to go with the wetsuit, though I think later that I probably should�ve. After making my way again through the seaweed on the first part of the swim, I�m actually doing okay and fairly relaxed. I round the first buoy before a good group of the folks in my wave and this motivates me to press on. But, for some strange reason, my insides are complaining a bit. Maybe the Clif Block I ate. I ignore this as the feeling isn�t too bad. And then, the unexpected happens - FOG! Shades of last year�s Savageman! I�m attempting sight and the fog has engulfed most of us. A good number of heads are bobbing looking for any clue as to where we�re supposed to be going, mine included. And remember the sighting buoy - it was white! So it blended in just fine with the fog. Well, nothing to do but hope folks know where they�re going and keep them in sight. Unfortunately, I kept crossing paths with several of the people nearby and this slowed me down in addition to the sighting problems. Tried to catch feet here and there but folks slowed to see where they were and this didn�t work too well. Passed the white buoy - yea! The fog seems to be lifting a little as in the distance I can start to make out the second red turn buoy. So, I head for it trying not to stop if I don�t have to. Round the second buoy and�.where�s the shore? Can barely make out the tree line but there�s no indication of where the finish area is. Finally, one of the kayakers start whistling to provide us a direction of where to go (found out this was actually the race director). So I just start heading in that direction. While sighting, saw 2 guys going back as they were completely turned around and off course. Finally see the shore and the finish and put effort now into getting there so I can complete this interesting swim. Jogged up a slight hill to transition with one of the guys who got turned around and he was making comments about that and shaking his head about just how much he got so screwed up.

What would you do differently?:

Probably should've worn my wetsuit and cut down on the time a bit more at the sacrifice of a bit of T1 time.
Transition 1
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

headband, number (had to wear numbers on the bike), sunglasses, and helmet on. Then got into shoes, no socks on Olympic distances. Grabbed my bike and proceeded to the mount area. Still not getting in the shoes after I get on the bike and this is something for next year. I pause just to mount my bike and I�m off. A few other guys were having problems, one rolling into the grass. This is a decent time for me, though slower than North East. Must�ve taken longer to get in my shoes.

Have to practice having my shoes on the pedals next season. If not, I have to have the shoes open so I get in them faster. I actually did this quite well at North East with my best T1 time of 1:23 there.
Bike
  • 1h 27m 30s
  • 27 miles
  • 18.51 mile/hr
Comments:

No overall rankings. First, I�m having some problem with clearing my helmet visor as the fog and temperature have created a light coating. So I have to deal with this a bit on the first loop. Finally clears a bit later. Now, even being armed with the knowledge of the first hill has not really prepared me for it. The first downhill is very nice but you pay for this with this first hill. I think perhaps I can stay seated for part of it but I have to stand even with the 26 on. And the effort takes its toll as I get over the top and roll back downhill to the next turn. I�m sure the heart rate is up there but I�m able to recover somewhat on the next downhill and try to get my composure back. After the next turn, the second longer hill starts. This time, I�m able to use the 26 on the back and my small chainring. I�m still putting forth effort but it�s not as bad. I�m rewarded with some rollers and the nice downhill to the next turn. After that, there�s a screaming downhill where I�m spinning in my large chainring and 11 on the back! What a rush! Max speed - 41.8 mph during one of those. A couple of more hills where I can spin on the 26 with some minor downhills and I�ve completed the first loop. The crowd goes wild as I pass! � Okay, well, the small group of folks by the entrance to the park clapped as I went by.

The next two loops are pretty much the same. A few folks pass me and I pass others, some like they weren�t moving on that screaming downhill while in the 53-11. I pass one woman on the long uphill and I remark about not liking the hills. She says, �but you look like you�re doing this so easily�. I reply - �this is not easy!� But, this is what I train on so these really aren�t quite as bad.

The last loop arrives and I�m thinking about the last time I have to do this hill. It is very tough this time and I�m panting as I�m standing going up it. The cadence meter is reading in the 50s! And I am huffing as I near the top! �I think I can, I think I can�� Gads, I really dislike that feeling. But, finally I�m over it and know that I only have this last longer climb to tackle before essentially being home free on the bike.

The steep hill was a real speed killer for me as normally I�m in the 19-20 mph on average. Looks like I either have to drop weight or practice more hills or both.

Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

The field is small but even so, I don�t see too many bikes in T2. After what I thought was a pretty lousy swim and tough bike, this gives me a boost of confidence. And since I�m already out of my shoes, T2 should go a bit faster. I decide though to go with socks and this takes just a little bit of time. Still, it�s well worth not getting a blister on the 10K. Race number�s already on, so after getting my shoes on, I grab everything else and get started on the run. I had purposely placed my bike near the �Bike In� entrance as I thought getting my legs running through transition as the �Run Out� was on the opposite side and getting them warmed up that way might work better for a faster run.

T2 time: 1:13, which for me with putting on socks is a good time, 50 sec faster than at Musselman.

Practice getting socks on and then running shoes.
Run
  • 50m 52s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

No overall rankings. I had hoped after talking to Tim Thompson (a tri club member) that this was a flat course. At least it was shaded and this proved to be a good thing as the sun started to come out during the late morning and the heat/humidity started to come in. Well, after the 3 loops on the bike with the two hills, my legs were feeling a bit wobbly, especially on the downhills. Still, I was moving and not doing too badly. I caught up to this guy Chris Lubold who came out of T2 just before me. Turns out looking at the results that we were pretty evenly matched. I thought about passing him at first, but then decided that I wouldn�t mind company here on the run. So, I stayed with Chris through the first loop and we chatted trying to forget about the run. We also paced off of each other pretty well. Kept me going though my legs complained a bit here and there.

On the backside of the run, probably 2.5 miles, there was a short steep hill. Egads, didn�t we leave this party on the bike? Now, just before this, I could�ve sworn a guy in my age group passed me going up this hill. Kept him in sight for a while and as we come up to completing the first loop of the run, I see this guy finishing. I think hopefully that I can still perhaps go home with something as they were going 3 deep in awards. But, still need to concentrate on this second run loop. We pass by the race clock and I think I remember seeing 2:25 something. Chris says we�re doing 8 something, which isn�t exactly what I wanted to hear as I was hoping for sub-8s. Doesn�t look like that�s going to be today. But, I then start pulling ahead of Chris on this second loop and decide that I need to push on a bit faster. So I slowly pull ahead and leave Chris behind me (though he�s not far back there and probably using me to as motivation to keep going). Again, tackle this steep hill again and going very slowly up it while again panting (like I said, didn�t I just go through this on the bike??). BTW, several folks ended up walking this. But, that�s the last difficult part. Coming onto the road, it�s time to kick to the finish and I start turning on what I have left in me. At the last straightaway, I�m able to sprint to the finish! The race clock says 2:56:[something] as I sprint past it and finish this inaugural event! A nice volunteer hands me a bottle of cold water and takes my timing chip. I offer thanks and walk off that final effort on down the road. Time to get food and I head down to the racers� refreshment area.

Considering the hill on the run and my legs were a bit wobbly, I did better than I thought I was going to. Probably need to do more scheduled brick work next season to improve.
Post race
Warm down:

Refreshments were fairly decent with bottled water, Vitamin Water, bagels, oranges, and bananas. At least that’s all I took. Might’ve been something else but I didn’t take it. I did, though, suggest to the race director about having Gatorade or electrolyte replacement drink. Vitamin Water has sugar and potassium but no sodium. He said that the aid station nearby did have Accelerade and the idea was to use that. But, I said that I didn’t even think about that as the refreshment area is what I gravitated towards. I wouldn’t have thought about the aid station as it was for the folks running. And I wouldn’t want to bother the aid folks while they’re trying to help the folks still out on the course. The race director agreed that they’ll see about having an electrolyte drink next year. The Vitamin Water was donated and they wanted to use it here. As it had gotten very warm and humid with folks still racing, they really did need something other than the Vitamin Water. Fortunately, there were vending machines nearby and I did end up getting a Gatorade there a bit later.

Initially, I was a little disappointed with my finishing time as that’s kind of a slow time for me in an Olympic. Still, the swim and bike are a bit longer than Olympic distances and it was a tough course. The top finisher had a time of 2:19:43, so I think that says something about how the course conditions were as usually there’s someone finishing a bit closer to 2 hours, if not just under.

Anyway, what comes next is quite a surprise. I’m looking at the overall results and there’s “1″ by my name. This indicates I took my age group! I think “No, that’s not right” as I thought that one guy in my AG lapped me on the run. I talked to the race director and he said he’ll ask around. But, if no one comes forward, then the award is mine. And it stays that way! No one comes forward to contest and I’m called during the awards to accept the First Place Men 45-49 award! Wohoo! …Now, I probably shouldn’t say this, but as it turns out, I was the only person in my age group. Still, looking at the other age groups, I put many a 20 to 30 year old to shame as they came in with times over 3 hours.

So, a nice surprise to a somewhat shaky start and for a race I just decided to do after I heard about it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The hills on the bike and run. Heavier than normal backwheel, only a 26 tooth cog on the back.

Event comments:

Since this was the event’s inaugural race, a few thoughts on this race for improvement which I passed to the race director:

- Perhaps a few more sighting buoys on the second swim leg. Nothing they could have done about the fog. if you could put like 3 yellow buoys in between the reds and then maybe 1 yellow on the finish to get back to shore, that would probably help folks a bit more. It was unfortunate that the middle buoy was white as it blended nicely in the fog. If you keep this a near Fall event, the chances of morning fog are going to be there.

(RD agreed that 5 buoys would be good)

- Larger drink cups on the run. They were just above small Dixie cups and folks needed just a bit more there.

(RD agreed to this)

- I didn’t have a problem with 1 aide station on the run as I carry my own drinks, but I usually see 3 on a 10K run with an Olympic. Perhaps 1 right after the finish area (oh, I think I did see that being set up as I passed the first time, but no one was there after I finished).

(RD said there was one in transition as well, so two total. I said this is enough but I only saw folks there after my first lap and not at the finish)

- Maybe one aide station on the bike loop.

(RD replied that he was supposed to have a volunteer on the backside of the bike but he went MIA and so no one got water replacement on the bike. Last time they have that volunteer)

- I greatly appreciated all the snacks afterwards! But, maybe have a better recovery electrolyte drink like Gatorade Endurance. I was looking at Vitamin Water and while most of the flavors have potassium, none have any sodium (I checked the listing). My friend was having a problem with the heat/humidity after he finished and he felt much better once he had a Gatorade from the vending machines.

(RD agreed after some discussion on this subject)

So overall, I give this event high marks. A challenging course to be sure but not overly so to have the terrain lessen the enjoyment and satisfaction of overcoming it, both on the bike and the run. The loop courses worked fine for a small field and I would say they may want to limit the number of folks if it grows so it doesn’t get too crowded on the bike. Decent refreshments afterwards and 3 deep awards in age groups was good too so many folks have a chance to take home something. Entry fee included a nice T-shirt, several snacks, and brochures. In addition, you could buy raffle tickets for $25/ 5 for $100 for some sweet prize such as a bike and a new wetsuit from DeSoto. I didn’t have enough money on me to buy a ticket though (darn).

Last updated: 2008-09-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:52 | 1760 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 0/79
Performance: Average
Suit: tri suit
Course: The swim course is 1 mile inverted triangle. But looking out over the calm lake, we only see 3 buoys: 2 red turn buoys and 1 white sighting buoy. That would�ve probably have been okay except for what happens during the swim.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:36
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:27:30 | 27 miles | 18.51 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: 9-mile loop, 3 laps for a total of 27 miles.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:50:52 | 06.21 miles | 08m 11s  min/mile
Course: 3.1 trail loop run around the park area, 2 laps
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-25 8:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Subject: Pinchot Olympic

2008-09-25 3:52 PM
in reply to: #1695253

User image

Regular
Gettysburg, PA
Subject: RE: Pinchot Olympic

Nice Race Dave. 

I've never heard of anybody stealing aid station supplies. That's pretty funny. 

Good luck the rest of the season. 

2008-10-14 11:05 PM
in reply to: #1695253

New user

Subject: RE: Pinchot Olympic
Dave, This is Chris.  By some blind impulse, I googled myself for kicks and found your string on this site.  So.... I signed up to say. "Darn right I was using you at the end to motivate myself. " After running 4 1/2 miles together I couldn't let you get too far ahead.  Not That I had enough left to even think about reeling you in  but I did feel the need to keep you in sight. Anyway, I agree. very nice race.  I plan on jacking it up a notch for next year by signing up for the musselman half iron. End goal in site is an iron distance for my 45th birthday present to myself. We'll see.  That is a tremendous time committment.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pinchot Olympic Rss Feed