General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A few questions from a Newbie Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-25 12:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: A few questions from a Newbie

Howdy new Peer types!

So I have been wanting to do a Triathlon for a long time and I am finally at a point in my life where I can start training and planning for it. I have not spent a long time browsing these forums but I have seen a few posts and it looks like most people are friendly around here. So here go!

1. I am a Bike commuter. I have a great Trek Hybrid, decent midline components and I take great care of it. Due to the placement of bus lines in my area and the fact that I proudly don't own a car my only way to get to work is said Bike. Does anyone else have experience incorporating bike commuting into their workouts? (for me it's 11-12 miles each way and due to Seattles aversion to the word "flat" there are a lot of hills).

2. I have signed up for swim lessons because even though I am comfortable around water and have spent a lot of time swimming at lakes and such my stroke stinks. when practicing in the pool should I always wear my race oriented gear or just wear what is comfortable?

3. I have spent time running in my past but not with any intensity lately. I do have bad knees (minor damage to cartilage) and notice this when running. Are there any regulations for races regarding knee braces (which in the past alleviated any problems I had)? Does anyone else train with a brace?

4. winter workouts without a gym...is this going to hamper me or not? (considering I still bike commute unless there is ice on the ground.)

Thanks for your answers and I look forward to my first Triathlon in July. I am aiming for the Seafair sprint Triathlon then and hopefully an olympic distance one either later in July or in August. A little history from me is that I graduated from College in 2006 but was a 4 year varsity rower while in college. I might not be in quite that good of shape right now but due to biking to work almost every day for more than a year I am not in bad shape either. Any thoughts, ideas, or happy opinions are more than welcome. Thanks!

Happy Tri-ing!

2008-09-25 12:40 PM
in reply to: #1696016

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim
Subject: RE: A few questions from a Newbie
bel83 - 2008-09-25 10:05 AM

Howdy new Peer types!

So I have been wanting to do a Triathlon for a long time and I am finally at a point in my life where I can start training and planning for it. I have not spent a long time browsing these forums but I have seen a few posts and it looks like most people are friendly around here. So here go!

1. I am a Bike commuter. I have a great Trek Hybrid, decent midline components and I take great care of it. Due to the placement of bus lines in my area and the fact that I proudly don't own a car my only way to get to work is said Bike. Does anyone else have experience incorporating bike commuting into their workouts? (for me it's 11-12 miles each way and due to Seattles aversion to the word "flat" there are a lot of hills).

2. I have signed up for swim lessons because even though I am comfortable around water and have spent a lot of time swimming at lakes and such my stroke stinks. when practicing in the pool should I always wear my race oriented gear or just wear what is comfortable?

3. I have spent time running in my past but not with any intensity lately. I do have bad knees (minor damage to cartilage) and notice this when running. Are there any regulations for races regarding knee braces (which in the past alleviated any problems I had)? Does anyone else train with a brace?

4. winter workouts without a gym...is this going to hamper me or not? (considering I still bike commute unless there is ice on the ground.)

Thanks for your answers and I look forward to my first Triathlon in July. I am aiming for the Seafair sprint Triathlon then and hopefully an olympic distance one either later in July or in August. A little history from me is that I graduated from College in 2006 but was a 4 year varsity rower while in college. I might not be in quite that good of shape right now but due to biking to work almost every day for more than a year I am not in bad shape either. Any thoughts, ideas, or happy opinions are more than welcome. Thanks!

Happy Tri-ing!

1) Yes, plenty of folks incorporate a commute as training. The heart of your question, I'm guessing is the potential benefit? That would depend on what the rest of your trianing is looking like. A short hilly ride can be used for high intenity or easy recovery. You don't want to sabotage a run by going to hard on the bike, but at the same time if every ride is moderately paced you will plateau quickly.

2) You need to be comfortable in your race gear and make sure that it works. SO you do want to swim in your race gear before racing in it. That being said, there is no reason not have a separate training and racing gear. Some tri-specific clothing is not recommended for chlorine anyway. Baggy clthing will slow you down.

I am assuming that your "gear' is a swimsuit and goggles, and not scuba or something?

3) You can go to the USAT website and print out the regulations. I've seen lots of racers use compression style braces. I don't know about a traction brace.

4) If you don't train during the winter then you will see a decline in fitness.

2008-09-25 12:42 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Welcome to BT!!

For winter work, there is no reason you cannot take care of it all without a gym.

I go to the pool to get my swims in.  I run year round regardless of weather.  And I'll ride my trainer indoors for the bike.

2008-09-25 1:08 PM

User image

Expert
Burnaby, BC

Usually training in the pool is done in Jammers.  Tight long swim trunks that hold up pretty well to chlorine and can be had for cheap.  Check them occassionally to make sure they have not become see through.  Racing stuff gets expensive and doesn't usually last as long.

You can train without a gym all you want.  Weights are not mandatory, but they help.  Living in Seattle, you should be able to run outside all year round and the constant rain helps with the smelly running gear!  Pools are always available for swimming and like you said, you have the bike covered.  If you want to get into it, you could pick up a trainer for indoor rides when the weather is icy for a prolonged period.

2008-09-25 1:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
bel83 - 2008-09-25 1:05 PM

2. I have signed up for swim lessons

Excellent!  I'm a Total Immersion (TI) follower.  Search the threads and become enlightened Smile

Best way to protect those knees from injury is don't overdo the runs (start easy, build gradually over time in intensity and distance), and allow for recovery days in between.  Also, avoid hitting the pavement with your heels - aim for using the balls of your feet, your knees will be grateful.

You'll find over time your knees will get stronger.

2008-09-25 1:42 PM

Extreme Veteran
Bluffton, SC
Hi,
Answers:

1) Nah I dont just because 12 miles is too light for my training

2) Speedo

3) I have seen them

4) Gym, treadmill, spinning class, stairs, navy SEAL workout DVD, get creative, never stop training for too long.

2008-09-25 2:05 PM

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river

I tore my MCL last winter and have had to wear a donjoy defience III ever since for snowboarding, contact sports, mt biking, golf and anything that might tweek my knee.

knee brace pic

I started training with it for the run, bike and swim b/c I thought I would need it for tri's. 
I emailed USAT regarding rules and reg for braces.  They are fine and can be used.  The only issue would be during the swim.  Because it is hard, it needs to be covered like it would need to be for any contact sport via a sleeve or under your wet suit.  For the bike and run, it doesnt need to be covered since there shouldnt be any contact (unlike the swim)

2008-09-25 4:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the replys everyone. Most of my swim gear right now is just the long shorts spandex/lycra speedo (someone named it earlier but I don't know the jargon that well yet) and googles. Eventually I will be getting a wetsuit but I want to see how my swimming is after classes before I decide what style I want/need. As far as bike commuting is concerned I have many ways that I can work it in as a workout my problem is finding a way to get home/to work on my bike without it being to much of a work out. I have at least 2-3 (going or coming) steep hills on my route that are .5 miles long or longer, not to mention all the rollers and long gentle hills I climb. So I am wondering if having a hard ride 2 times a day 5 days a week will hamper my other training (legs to tired etc...) or if I will get used to it.

I also have a book that lays out for me how to structure my training schedule and about how much time I should allocate per event and unfortunately...bike commuting is way more than is recommended. I am also going to see my doctor soon (he has a strong interest in sport medicine which is why I choose him) to make sure doing all of this wont kill me. Again thanks for all of the answers and feel free to leave more information!

2008-09-26 8:16 AM
in reply to: #1697006

User image

Motor City USA
The commuting is only going help you especially at this early stage.

you only need to pay so much attention to the books. Basically trian you weakness and race your strength. Spend time in the pool so you are not done before the race really starts. Think about taking the long way home frome work a couple nights a week to get used to longer rides. Run when you can, but be careful not to hurt yourself. you will need to un regularly if you want to 'race', just be sure to bring your mileage and speed up very slowly to avoid injury.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A few questions from a Newbie Rss Feed