General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can't Keep Up with the Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-27 12:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Can't Keep Up with the Training
I've done a sprint tri and am trying to build a solid base to compete in a Half next fall. I've got to be honest, between strength trianing 4 days a week, swimming 3 days, running 3, and biking 3...I am dead! None of my workouts last much longer than an hour currently, but I'm really running out of steam fast. Am I doing something wrong or possibly overtraining? I just don't feel like I am recovering very well.

2008-09-27 12:13 AM
in reply to: #1700371

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-09-27 3:15 AM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Can't Keep Up with the Training

Thanks for the reply. My current log is here: http://www.buckeyeoutdoors.com/cgi-bin/training/traininglog?guest=n... although I wasn't as accurate early on in the log as I am now.

I used to be heavily into bodybuilding, so it is hard for me to break those roots. Right now I do typical split routines in the gym: chest/tri, back, shoulder/bi, legs etc.

I think I'm just trying to do too much too fast...overreaching like you said. I might have to go to 3 days in the gym per week crosstraining instead of the normal routine.

2008-09-27 5:06 AM

Are you following a training plan that's already been proven or are you trying to make one up as you go along?

If you're making it up as you go along, you might want to take a look at the plans available on this site instead.
2008-09-27 5:57 AM

Master
Canton, Michigan
I like lifting too, but your doing a lot of weight training along with endurance workouts which sounds like a little much. If you want to get better at training and racing Tri's, you need to S, B and R. All around lifting sessions a 2 or 3 times a week is fine, but it sounds like your doing major lifting workout with your split routines. The first thing I dropped when my half iron training got tough or I had time issues was the weights and just fit it in when I could.

Some here don't lift at all and are against any weight training.

Edited by rottieguy 2008-09-27 5:58 AM
2008-09-27 7:00 AM

Elite
I'm not against lifting.  But, it is the first thing that would go for me when the volume goes up.  I'll start to lift a little again in the off season.  Mostly core work and some shoulder work for swimming.  Other than that the lifting disappears once my regular training plan kicks in again.  Just not enough time in the day.

2008-09-27 12:15 PM
in reply to: #1700446

Champion
South Jersey
Drop the weight training. Also, if you're not following a plan, I echo the sentiments of those above and suggest you look into one.
2008-09-27 12:42 PM

Regular
Florence, Arizona
Silver member

I let strength training go for a few months so I could fit in all of the swim bike run training towards the end.  

For vanity's sake, however, the swimming will keep some really nice tone in your arms & shoulders. I got  a nice compliment in a fitness class the other day about my shoulders...thanx I said...but this is the first time I've picked up a weight in two months???

Now I'm easing back into strength training again...I found I didn't lose that much strength over the summer so all is good!

2008-09-28 6:29 AM

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for all of the advice. I will say that dropping weights is simply not an option...for me.

I am following a plan to the best of my ability, but right now I'm just building up a base for next spring at which point I'll start some more speed work, etc.

Thanks again.

2008-09-28 6:00 PM

Expert
central Iowa

I have a few questions for you:

1) You said that you can't drop the strength training, would it be possible to reduce it, say to twice a week, while you bring your s/b/r up a bit?

2) What kind of s/b/r background do you have?  Do you have year's of base in one or two of the discplines?

3) How long have you been on your current workout regimen?  Is this a plan you've been on all summer or did you just take up this level of training recent? 

3) Have you considered one of the winter maintenance plans here or elsewhere? 

We know where you want to go, but it would help us help you, if we could find out where you are and where you've been. 

2008-09-29 11:59 AM
in reply to: #1702035

Extreme Veteran
cami bee - 2008-09-28 7:00 PM

I have a few questions for you:

1) You said that you can't drop the strength training, would it be possible to reduce it, say to twice a week, while you bring your s/b/r up a bit?

2) What kind of s/b/r background do you have?  Do you have year's of base in one or two of the discplines?

3) How long have you been on your current workout regimen?  Is this a plan you've been on all summer or did you just take up this level of training recent? 

3) Have you considered one of the winter maintenance plans here or elsewhere? 

We know where you want to go, but it would help us help you, if we could find out where you are and where you've been. 

1. I've thought a lot about that, and I think the best thing for me to do would be to reduce to 3 times a week doing more circuit training rather than bodybuilding. I think that is a valid point.
  2. I have a year or two of a running base (this year I did a 5k, 5 10k's, a half marathon, and a sprint tri. I would say biking is my weakest right now and I'm waiting for my wife to ship me my bike so I can get on the trainer (I'm deployed till next year). I used to be a swimmer, but before this year I hadn't done much in several years.
  3. I've looked at some of the free plans, but none of them really fit where I was at in my training. However, I'm more than willing to look at a better plan. I haven't looked very hard yet, so that may be a good idea. Right now I am able to swim a mile or so in about 40-45 minutes, I can run at a 7:15 pace up to 8 miles or so, and biking I'm really not sure about because I only have access to a bike in the gym currently.

2008-09-30 12:55 PM

Regular
Winchester, MA
I'm snooping over here as I'm planning for my first 1/2 IM distance in '09 after 2 years of Oly's. I'd echo what others have said - it's likely that you are feeling the effects of training to such an extent because you are doing too much - too much of the wrong thing (which is actually a good answer, because fixing this will likely solve your problems and you'll be fine with the right workouts!).

I LOVE LOVE LOVE weight training, and I miss it, honestly. But there is simply NO WAY I could keep up with my otherwise ideal lifting schedule (3-4x/week split routine) and adequately S/B/R - and that's for Oly distance training. As it is, I only swim 2x/week and I'm pretty much at my limit (I can easily imagine stepping up to appropriate 1/2 IM loads, but again, not with a challenging lifting schedule tossed in the mix).

Why do you want to compete in a 1/2 IM? It might come down to a decision - you can't train as you want to and adequately build your base to 1/2 IM levels, at which point you'll have to decide which is more important - the 1/2, or the weights? If the answer is the weights, you can still have fun with the sprint distance, and perhaps be able to compete in Oly's as well. But it may be a decision you'll have to make.....
2008-09-30 2:56 PM

Master
Tiger's Den
^^^^ I second what she said.
2008-10-03 9:14 AM

Extreme Veteran

I'm in it to win it...

currently swimming a mile in 40 minutes, running a 10k in 44 and biking about 3 min miles. I'm getting there and I want to prove that you don't have to give up weights to be a stud in this sport.

2008-10-03 10:11 AM
in reply to: #1715026

Extreme Veteran
Lewisville
nhangen - 2008-10-03 9:14 AM

I'm in it to win it...

currently swimming a mile in 40 minutes, running a 10k in 44 and biking about 3 min miles. I'm getting there and I want to prove that you don't have to give up weights to be a stud in this sport.

My answer to you would be "go for it." Your original question was around the fact that you can't keep up. If you are asking advice about how to keep up, I think the general consensus is that you'll have to give up something. Since you have to increase your S/B/R time to complete a HIM (let alone win it), it will only get more time intensive.

I'd venture to guess that I love lifting as much as you... but I had to choose to give up a lot of it in order to just be able to finish my HIM last month. 

2008-10-08 12:24 PM

Just read all the posts, here's what I would do.  Pick a date for your HIM.  Pick a 20-week training plan.  Before the training plan commences, lift as much as you'd like.  After you've completed your HIM, go back to lifting as much as you'd like.  But during the training plan make the HIM Training Plan the priority -- follow it exactly -- and with whatever energy/time you have left over lift.  If you have a full-time career, kids, family life, personal life, social life, etc... and you don't want to get burnt out , it is simply impossible to concentrate on traithlon training (swimming, biking, running, nutrition and recovery) to the best of your ability and include training for a second sport.

2008-10-08 12:37 PM

Champion
Dallas, TX
Well, here's what I read... I want to be good at tri's... but you also want to still lift weights as much as you use to and be just as good at that.

Then you say:
I've got to be honest, between strength training 4 days a week, swimming 3 days, running 3, and biking 3...I am dead!

Do you really think you can keep lifting weights 4 days a week and train for a HIM?

Something has to given it's up to you to decide what is more important.

If you want to be COMPETITIVE in a HIM, you need to do it in under 5 hours. That's fast and it takes serious training to get that point. And that kind of training doesn't lend itself to you lifting weights 4 days a week. Sure, maybe a couple of days... but not 4.

Finally, you say:
I'm getting there and I want to prove that you don't have to give up weights to be a stud in this sport.

Well, it's obviously already too much for you (based on the first comment I quoted) and you are only training for a sprint? Do you think it gets any easier when you go up in distances?

I don't know, it seems like you came on here more to make a statement versus getting useful feedback from people who are knowledgeable on this topic. But maybe I'm wrong.

Edited by KSH 2008-10-08 12:39 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can't Keep Up with the Training Rss Feed