General Discussion Race Reports! » Everyone Runs Fleet Feet TMC Catalina State Park "Reverse the Course" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Everyone Runs Fleet Feet TMC Catalina State Park "Reverse the Course" - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tucson, Arizona
United States
Everyone Runs
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 35m
Overall Rank = 157/179
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 22/22
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:45 to eat some Cheerio's and get ready to head over. There is no one up at 5am on a Saturday.
Event warmup:

Stretched out and jogged around the parking lot a little bit. Watched people who looked much faster than me. :( Visited the port-a-potties several times.
Run
  • 1h 14m 18s
  • 5.5 miles
  • 13m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first trail run, and my first run at this distance. I did run walk and stayed pretty true to it. There was one point where I skipped the run (heading up the hill to the Nature Trail) and I took an extra walk before the end so that I didn't end on a walk. Who walks through the finish line??? I also decided to forgo taking any water with me because there was 3 aid stations on the course. This worked out ok for me in most respects. A couple times I wished I would have had something with me, but I lived. Took some sharkies for some energy. Lots of the trail was loose sand which really slowed me down. Must learn to run through sand!

Usually I start to get a little worn out and have to mentally push myself when I'm just down doing training runs. I didn't really feel the need to give myself pep talks. I did start to wonder where the freakin turn-around was on the Bridal trails, but I stayed pretty pumped the whole time.
What would you do differently?:

Spend more time on trails. This race was supposed to be an event to just get me prepped for the PBR in a couple weeks. Real trails differ just a little bit than running through the gas pipeline by our house.
Post race
Warm down:

Through the parking lot and into the breakfast and smoothie line!

Event comments:

Haha, I still managed to come in last in my AG. Amazing.

Last updated: 2008-09-27 12:00 AM
Running
01:14:18 | 05.5 miles | 13m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/22
Overall: 0/179
Performance: Average
Course: Started on the road and then turned onto the trail headed to an out/back to Montrose Pools. Heads back in and a quick right onto the Canyon Loop trail. DOWN the 92 Stairs and along the wash before heading back towards the parking lot. Then up to the Nature Trail (clockwise), down the semi-steep hill to an out/back on the Bridal Trails. Finish up running down the park road.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-28 11:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson
Subject: Everyone Runs Fleet Feet TMC Catalina State Park "Reverse the Course"
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Everyone Runs Fleet Feet TMC Catalina State Park "Reverse the Course" Rss Feed