United States
Peregrine Charities
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 06m 44s
Overall Rank = 10/107
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

hello reader. this will be a long one because i feel like it. i am not going to apologize, because there is nothing saying you have to read it (but thank you for doing so!)

one last hurrah. one last tri this summer, one last race in the 25-29 age group, one last time to leave it all on the course. this summer has not been the most disciplined. with the birth of my second daughter in april, many workouts were sacrificed for the good of my family. but this race will bring that to a close and usher in the winter season. one last race.

this was the first year for the race, so i didn't know what to expect. packet pickup and bike drop off was the day before, which was really cool. i felt like i was in a big time race here. the swag bag was awesome and there was a free meal too! additionally, they would be giving out cash each victor of the age group, which truthfully, made me nervous. what kind of talent would be showing up here? athletes who put time into trainning? could i pull this off? would i be disappointed if i didn't? man, i'm rambling in my own mind.

also, did i mention that this race is being held basically on my training grounds? i practiced ows in the lake, road on the bike route, and trained for my first marathon not to mention did several running races on the run course. home field advantge to noz!

in the morning i had my pre-race clif bar + peanut butter and chocolate milk, and went down to the race when transistion opened.

ran into neal and was talking to him a bit. the guy just got into triathlons this year and also decided to sign up for the twin cities marathon. he is having a great rookie season and next year will be one crafty vet! it's always nice to meet new people, especially from bt.
Event warmup:

well, transistion closes at 0645 and the first wave doesn't start until 0730, so i can't run and then get in my wetsuit. i could swim and warm up, but it's kinda cold and i'm not in that great of shape. yeah, screw warm up.
Swim
  • 23m 31s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

they started us on the boat dock because the beach got slaughtered from the floods in june. i saw a guy that i played water polo with, he said he was on a relay and was only doing the swim. i said, "see that fourth buoy? yeah, that's where you're gonna drop me."

they started us (and when i say us, i mean male 19-35 and teams) so it was hard to know who i had to keep my eye on. two swimmers, including my friend, took off like a shot and i figured they were on teams competeing for the top fish award.

this is going to sound weird, but i never know how fast i'm going in the water. i have no wall to flip or look at, so i can't tell if i'm going at 75% or 70%, you know?

my shoulders felt weak also. i hope it's not the wetsuit. you are supposed to be helping me out here mr. wetsuit. maybe i just didn't have it all the way up. perhaps i should have warmed up....

rounded the buoy and just began stroking again. it didn't feel great, but i wasn't dying, so i keep on keeping on. i had a drafter who stayed with me almost the entire way. he would have been closer had i not shaved him off using a swimmer from the previous heat ;)

stopped the watch as i got out, 23:27, huh, what do you know? i almost guessed it to the second!
What would you do differently?:

race wise, nothing. i think it was just fine with my current fitness level.
Transition 1
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

short, very short run to t1 and i was fiddling with my suit to get it off. as i was running over the timing pad some volunteers were shouting, "what's your number?" now i don't race with my wedding ring on for fear that i will lose it in the bottom of a lake, but i don't have time to be hit on by..huh? what's that? oh, you mean my..i see...um, 68.

got my suit off and my helmet on and i reached for my running shoes...no! not yet dummy! get on your bike and go!

jumped on the bike and immediately winced from a wicked cramp i had in my right calf. what the h is that from?

focus.
Bike
  • 1h 00m 32s
  • 22 miles
  • 21.81 mile/hr
Comments:

doris was having issues jumping up to the big cog the day before. the guys at bike tech were taking a look at it trying some things. the usat offical jumped all over me about not wearing a helmet. yeah, just doing his job, i think he was bored.

i wanted to be a little more aggressive on this bike since the course was flatter and i didn't have to save as much as i did at the whale. we still had a turn around at the bottom of a hill. ptttthhhbbb.

they had an aid station and a bottle drop zone! the last aid station i had on the bike was a guy handing out dixie cups.

i knew the course pretty well so there were really no surprises for me here. i told the boss when i would be at a certain corner (two blocks from my in-laws) and i was there within two minutes. she was there with the girls and a tiger cut out. nice to have fans ;)

i was secretly hoping to break 22 mph on the ride, but with the lack of training, i guess i should be happy with what i got.

the 300 calorie bottle with the elixir did great! i did take a extra water bottle and a gel for three miles to go. that may be the only way to travel from here on out!

again, not much. i went after it a little bit but i didn't kill myself. course was nice if you like biking around an airport. oh, and lamas! i saw lamas!
Transition 2
  • 00m 28s
Comments:

t2 went fine, the race belt got tangled up but i was fixing it on the run.

i, perhaps, got out of the shoes a shade too early.
Run
  • 41m 18s
  • 6 miles
  • 06m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

hello run! let's see if we can finish strong on this one, kay?

started out nice and controlled. the first mile had a slight decline making it easier to ease up on the effort. saw the elite at mile 1 on his way to winning $1000.

the first two miles were to be nice and controlled, and then we go from there. they felt good, pace was good, legs felt tired but not exausted. they did say there would be hammer gel on the course and i thought about not bringing mine, good thing i did bring them.

got to the turn around and started to pick it up more looking for those behind me. i saw the next guy a ways behind me, but i didn't want to relax and blow the lead, so i kept on going.

with mile 1 being decline on an out and back course, mile 6 is a slight incline, which is a lot of fun. i checked back over my shoulder a few times and didn't see anyone.

my girls made it to the course just before the finish. princess #1 yelled, "daddy! wait for me!" as i went past. threw myself over the finish line and was greeting by an army of volunteers.

not much at all. i did what i had planned on doing, i finished agressively, and i was very happy. i had left it all on the course and that is just fine by me.
Post race
Warm down:

chased my three year old around everything trying to get her to sit still. stuck around for awards that were delayed a bit and walked out with first in the age group. my first ever cash prize!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

genetics.

Event comments:

for the first year of this race, they did an exceptional job. volunteers were everywhere! the pre-race drop off and activities the day before were great. the race ran smoothly, the location was great. i had a lot of fun at this one and should be on everyone's calendar for next year!

Last updated: 2008-09-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:31 | 1760 yards | 01m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 5/107
Performance: Average
Suit: pro-motion sleeveless
Course: out and back course, follow the buoys!
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:21
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:00:32 | 22 miles | 21.81 mile/hr
Overall: 15/107
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: a bit of a circle around the waterloo airport. a few rollers between miles 5 and 10, otherwise the course is pretty flat. a few rough patches here and there, but pretty nice for the most part.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:18 | 06 miles | 06m 53s  min/mile
Overall: 16/107
Performance: Good
Course: out and back course along the park roads and paved trails.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-30 12:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
Subject: Peregrine Charities Triathlon

2008-09-30 1:51 PM
in reply to: #1706382

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Peregrine Charities Triathlon
Great report.  Always entertaining to read what goes on inside the mind of a madman  Amazing times, scary to think how good you could actually get at this crazy sport.
2008-09-30 6:25 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Cha-Ching! Cash prize! Excellent race man!  Again, it was great to meet ya.  Nice to know I won't have to worry about you in my age group next year
2008-09-30 10:00 PM

User image

Davenport, IA
Wow, that's an awesome race...Congratulations!  See you there next year for sure, and definitely get in touch with me when you guys head out to ride the course for Pigman.
2008-10-01 4:14 PM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Dude, you race fast...you've got a mild competitive streak in you...

Congrats on the season closer...

...oh, and btw...it's LLAMA! (pronounced yama in South America...no I DIDN'T say yo'mama...)...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Peregrine Charities Triathlon Rss Feed