United States
DRCsports
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 26m 45s
Overall Rank = 20/
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/
Pre-race routine:

Marvarnett and I drove down to Amelia Island the day before. We crashed in a hotel with a few of this friends. We made it down to transition sometime around 6, checked the bike and set up things.

Breakfast-banana, clif bar
Event warmup:

Not much. I rode the bike a few blocks and ran for about five minutes.
Swim
  • 27m 59s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

We started on the beach and ran into the water. You had to wade nearly 50' before you could swim. Before the start, we watched the earlier waves go off and you could see that the current was pushing the waves left really hard (I think the whole first wave missed the first buoy). My plan was to sit on Marvarnett's feet as long as I can and site about 30' to the right of the turn buoys.

First few minutes were good. I was on his hip for the first 200m. Then he began pulling way so I got on his feet. We both were drifting left quickly. He finally pulled away between the second and final buoy. I rounded the turn buoy just fine but realized I couldn't see anything. I had no clue about the course layout. I tried to find feet but everyone was so spread out. I found the second turn buoy and headed home

Here is where I made a mistake. I forgot to take into account the current pushing me on the return. I was a good 20' off course. And there were NO feet anywhere. So I had to fight the current to make it back in. Then you had to wade the final 50' again. That really sucked.
What would you do differently?:

Understand the course layout. I know better.

The times were slow for the swim. They all seem about 2 minutes off so I can't complain too much.
Transition 1
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

The run from the beach to the parking lot was a good 150 yards. I could tell how winded I was when I got to my bike. I was the first in my row to get there. I got the wetsuit off without a problem. Due to the way I have my powermeter configured (for Sunday's ride), I decided to wear my garmin on as a watch. I fumbled through putting it on. Then I grabbed the bike but struggle to slide it under the really low racking bars

Not much. I pushed it enough that my garmin said I was in z6 when I got to it. The really low racking bars were horrible. If I had run rear hydration and an aerobottle then it would have been a real struggle for me to get the bike out.
Bike
  • 1h 07m 22s
  • 24.7 miles
  • 22.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I came out of transition with 3-4 guys and got up to speed quickly. The race was run concurrently with a HIM so they too were transitioning to the bike. My plan was to push it hard as long as I can in order to build up a lead for the run. The best part was that I was passing people as if they were standing still. One guy caught me and I decided not to chase. I sat right outside the draft zone waiting for him to falter. He began to fatigue and I took off.

As I was approaching the turnaround, I began counting the number of people coming back. I was in 18th place and knew I could make up a few more sports. So I put down the hammer on the way back. I was pushing LT nearly the whole time and gaining on everyone. The funny part was that I was in no man's land most the race. If I passed someone, then I dropped them quick and there wasn't anyone to catch for a few more minutes.

Even in the final 3 miles, I caught another 3 guys and soared past them. I knew I had just put together a kickass bike

Not much, I executed what I wanted to do. I would have liked a bit more infinite.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Great transition. I came out of my shoes unbelievably well. I had yet performed a dismount with the xlab on the back so I was really concerned about not clearing it. I came in with a good amount of speed and hopped right off. It was definitely the smoothest I have ever done. In one move, I hoisted the bike and I was off (many oohhhss and ahhhhs).

I was the first back to the rack so reracking wasn't that difficult.

nada
Run
  • 48m 8s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Due to the injury, I was under explicit instructions to not push the run. If needed, I was to switch to a 9/1 style in an effort to keep the knee from getting irritated. I came out of transition feeling a bit rough. I felt like I was just shuffling along. My HR was in check so I just kept moving. Imagine my surprise when I hit mile 1 at 7:48. Uh-oh WAY too fast.

And for the first time in a while I had a HORRIBLE side stitch. I can't recall the last time I developed one of those. And it wasn't going away. In fact it was slowing my down. I had to bypass the water station despite feeling parched.

I kept plugging along until I was passed by a guy in my age group. Grrr. I knew with the side stitch and bum knee that I couldn't go with him. I made a deal with myself that I was going to continue pushing the pace until the 2nd guy passed me in my AG. (I had a really good feeling where I stood).

Around mile 3 the side stitch subsided. And more importantly the knee was still engaged. At the turnaround I saw some hungry wolves coming my way about 200m back. I settled into a very comfortable sub 8 pace and kept moving.

Around the final 1.5 miles, my HR started to go up. I could hear footsteps behind me. I pushed a bit harder and said hello to z4. I was passed with right at mile 5 but there were 2 more behind me. So I picked it up a bit more. I put a bit more distance between us. At this point I knew I was going to pr and was having a really good race. I made the final turn and had about 50' on a guy.

Despite it being a race, I really didn't want to blow it out over the final 100m but he came barreling toward the finish line and I had to pick it up. And I'll be damned if he doesn't pass me IN the chute. I look at his calf. It says 26. I am devastated.

I really wouldn't change much. In theory I would have sprinted the final 100m but I still think I made the right decision. The run was spectacular for me. The knee never irritated me and I ran much quicker than I ever imagined given my training.
Post race
Warm down:

Well I was pissed because I knew that guy had just cost me hardware. I found Arnett who informed me that he took overall. We grabbed some fluids and hung out waiting for others to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of run training? It was a great race for me. .

Event comments:

DRC put on a great race. It was the inaugural race and run concurrently with the HIM. I think they realized that they bit off more than they can chew. Running two different races on slightly different courses proved challenging for them. But the RD was really cool and took in a lot of feedback. I give him props for dealing with some of the headaches.

Last updated: 2008-09-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:59 | 1640 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 31/
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca Evo
Course: Sorta triangular with lefthand turns
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:19
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:07:22 | 24.7 miles | 22.00 mile/hr
Overall: 10/
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back on some flat flat roads
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 93
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:48:08 | 06.2 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Overall: 31/
Performance: Good
Mile 1-7:48 Mile 2-8:13 Mile 3-8:14 Mile 4-7:58 Mile 5-7:54 Mile 6-7:40
Course: Out and back into a state park
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-10-06 7:35 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Subject: Ameliaman Olympic Triathlon

2008-10-06 11:54 AM
in reply to: #1720222

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
Subject: RE: Ameliaman Olympic Triathlon
Great race - great RR!  So cool that your knee held up.  There is hope!
2008-10-06 11:57 AM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Who cares if you got #4 in AG when you are always #1 to me. lol...Great job, babe! You are my hero.
2008-10-06 6:57 PM

New user
Why devastated? The top 5 in each AG got awards, not 3...
2008-10-06 7:59 PM
in reply to: #1722211

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA
Great race and great job on the AG place.  I have only been to Amelia Island once, but I really liked it.  I may look into this race next year.
2008-10-07 7:23 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Fast all the way around! Looks like a great day..

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ameliaman Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed