Event Power
55F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 04m 42s
Overall Rank = 224/401
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 35/57
Pre-race routine:

I got up a lot earlier than I planned on and couldn't fall back to sleep. One thing I learned is that sharing a bed with my 2.5 year old daughter is really not easy. I got out of bed at 4:20 (planned on 4:45) and headed out right away as I didn't want to make too much noise and wake my wife or daughter.

I was the third person at the transition area which was kind of weird, but at least I got a good spot and I got to take my time setting everything up. The morning started off great. It was cool and looked like the weathermen would be right (they had been forecasting 62 and sunny for two weeks now. That would change.

I spent some time talking to Charlie and Bobby and a friend of Bobby's (I think his name was Mike) The three of us went out to dinner with our families the night before which was great. It was nice for us to be able to get the families and our kids together. I started getting my wetsuit on at about 6:15 and listened to the race orientation. They do a nice job at this race and although it's small, you kind of get the feeling of one of the big-time races.
Event warmup:

None except set a goal for 6 hours... ten minutes faster than last year.
Swim
  • 38m
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

Awesome swim. I was a bit faster than last year, but considering the conditions (it was still a bit dark when we started and it was difficult to sight) I think it went very well. Sighting was an issue at times but it definitely helped that I had done this race last year. My form was better, I think, than ever.

I got caught up on the first buoy and had some issues with the guy behind me who kept slapping my feet. I mean, doesn't it cross your mind that after 5 or 6 times you should pick another line... not this guy, very annoying.

My swim was very good which I was a little concerned about seeing as how I have spent far less time in the pool this year than last... but for some reason I'm a faster swimmer now than ever. My form has definitely improved.
What would you do differently?:

Try to be better at sighting, but, not much.
Transition 1
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

Really good T1.

I had to wrestle with my long sleeve shirt for a minute but that was well worth it as the weather was about to get really bad. Got on the bike at about 39:00 into the race... well on my way to a sub-six hour HIM!!! NOT!
Bike
  • 2h 57m 19s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.95 mile/hr
Comments:

Great ride considering it started to rain A LOT during the ride... so much for the forecast. The weather made cornering an adventure but once again, I think my MTB background pays pff as I have pretty good handling skills.

I really put it all out there on the ride and didn't "rest" at all. I was still thinking that a sub-6 hour HIM was well within my grasp today and I pushed the entire ride. I did a really good job climbing and cranked it on the descents topping out at 35+mph a few times.

Did I overwork myself on the bike? not sure. I am well aware of the fact that I am simply not a runner! And I knew that the only chance I had of reaching my goal would have been to give myself a lot of time for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

Fast T2

On the run course at about 3:39 into the race... still in good position
Run
  • 2h 25m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

Very difficult run. I was doing great and feeling great for the first 6 miles or so. The rain was coming down hard during most of the run and my shoes were like cinder blocks. I am not making excuses though.

So, I was doing well at a little past the half way point and then I started to lose it. I was running on empty. My legs got very tired and I had a hard time concentrating. The thought crosse my mind that I should hand in my number because I was shivering and totally uncomfortable at about 8 miles in.

I got over that though and told myself that if I could just average 10:30 miles the rest of the way, I would finish in my goal time... that didn't happen. I tried reaching down for something deep inside, but there was nothing there. I have done 3 half-marathons and I have to say that this course is by far the most difficult.

I'm going to say that my overall run was average, considering the conditions.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to where Cindy was with Madison and Charlie's wife and kids and waited for him to come in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm a slow runner.

I think overall, I have to be happy with my performance today even though I didn't reach my goal I still cut 5+ minutes off of last year. I am very proud of that and I think I should be. Again, I found myself running around with these people in a group with me towards the end of the race and I was marveling at what great athletes they look like... and, once again, I though, "wow, I am right there with these people." That makes me feel good.

I am not sure if I would ever set up a season like this again. I have the NYC marathon in 4 weeks and a few times, in the back of my head, I thought about how I should take it easy a bit because I have a long run planned for next weekend. I also think that training for the two of them at the same time has made it difficult to focus on the HIM, which is the race that is really my top priority.

Next year, I am going to do an early season marathon which may help me focus on building up my running more than I did this year.

But, again, I can't be upset with cutting minutes off of my time from last year. I think I have matured as a triathlete as well because I trained less this year than last... but, I hav trained smarter.

Last updated: 2008-04-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:00 | 2112 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/57
Overall: 163/401
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Triangle swim in Fort Pond.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:09
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:57:19 | 56 miles | 18.95 mile/hr
Overall: 152/401
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Once again, this is a beautiful course all over montauk, past the lighthouse and through the DEC area. I am not totally happy with the conditions of the roads. There were lots of potholes, ruts and seams in the road which got annoying and I swear that they take something out of your legs. Carbon seat and chainstays would be great. Maybe I'll get a carbon seatpost (not sure if that would help)
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:25:23 | 13.1 miles | 11m 06s  min/mile
Overall: 326/401
Performance: Average
Course: 2 loops with some crazy hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-10-06 10:05 AM

Expert
Miller Place, Long Island
Subject: MightyMan Montauk

2008-10-06 10:29 AM
in reply to: #1720562

User image

Subject: RE: MightyMan Montauk

Mike, you had an excellent race.  Had it been sunny and 62 (like the hapless weathermen predicted) you would've been right there.  Running in soggy shoes does suck.  Biking on soggy roads didn't help either.  But the bottomline is: with less desirable weather conditions, you shaved off a chunk of time from last year's race. 

I'm with you, next year it's about less races and more focused, quality training on specific big races.  Maintain your swim, we'll continue training together on the bike (we'll book a few centuries to ride instead of tri races), continue to work on the run, and next year you will hit your goal.   And the same for me.  And next year me, you and Charlie are going stag.  We need to be 100% rested and focused.  I love my wife and kids - dearly, but next year I want rest, no distractions, eye solely on the prize.  And it'll be a helluva lot cheaper   I already spoke with Charlie and he's all for it.   

It was a pleasure meeting your wife and daughter and I hope all three families can get together soon.

Edited by Dream Chaser 2008-10-06 10:31 AM
2008-10-06 12:27 PM
in reply to: #1720562

User image

Expert
Long Island, NY
Subject: RE: MightyMan Montauk
Hell of a race, Mike. The weather definitely added some time to everyone's clock. Hold on to that thought that you were hanging with people you'd consider good athletes. That makes you one, too, competing at the same level.

As Bobby said, it was a pleasure meeting Cindy and Madison. Having everyone there made for a really nice weekend for everyone, despite the monsoon.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MightyMan Montauk Rss Feed