General Discussion Race Reports! » Douglasville Last Chance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Douglasville Last Chance Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Douglasville, Georgia
United States
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 20s
Overall Rank = 17/167
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/13
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 0530. Stayed in bed until 0550, then crawled out of bed, and ate oatmeal. Woke up the kids, packed up, and headed out the door. Arrived the event site around 0710, got body-marked, then set up transition.
Event warmup:

For a warmup, I just jogged to the car once, then stretched a little, and mostly jogged in place. It was pretty cold at the site on an early October morning.

My nephew was pretty psyched for the event. This was his first tri and he was just soaking it all in. I was excited for him!
Swim
  • 04m 25s
  • 175 meters
  • 02m 31s / 100 meters
Comments:

APPROXIMATE TIME: 5 MINS - RESULTS DIDN'T HAVE SPLITS

This swim had good and bad. The swim was the last event. During T2 (bike to swim), I couldn't find where my rack position was, so I just racked the bike anywhere and just headed to the pool....WITH NO GOGGLES!!!! That was my first mistake. I realized that my goggles were with my other things, but just decided to foregoe them b/c the swim was short. It turned out to not be so bad b/c I just closed my eyes and concentrated on swimming.

My second mistake came when I jumped into the pool and sank all the way to the bottom! I didn't realize it was so deep! I had to swim back up and then push off! That cost me a few seconds!

As I was swimming, I felt really strong the first 2 laps, but then really started feeling tired...beyond tired, after that! I had used that energy on the bike...I just kept on kicking and trying to go. I got passed by one guy. If he was in my AG, then that's where I lost 3rd place. :(
What would you do differently?:

Not forget goggles, not jump in feet first and sink all the way to the bottow, and swim harder. Maybe more conditioning?
Transition 1
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

T1 was great! I was 4th overall coming into T1 and left in 3rd! I just grabbed my bike, slapped on the helmet and glasses, and was sprinting out!

Nothing. I had a great T1. I don't think we're going to have T1 times, though. We were not wearing chips. I'd say I was in T1 less than a minute...I'd say around 45 seconds.
Bike
  • 45m 15s
  • 12 miles
  • 15.91 mile/hr
Comments:

APPROXIMATE TIME: 45:15 - RESULTS DIDN'T HAVE SPLITS

One word: PAIN. The course had two huge hills, one at mile 1 and one at mile 8. At the beginning of every leg, there was a hill that caused you some grief. Leading up to the first big hill, you had a moderate climb. Then...BAM! You had to make a right turn onto Oak Hill and it was WAY STEEP. I almost jumped off my bike at this point. I was really hurting on this hill. I got passed by two ppl here, but was still Top 5. I kept at it, and at this point decided I needed to bite into my power gel crap. It was SOOO hard to swallow. I kept at it, really struggling up that first hill, feeling the burn in the quads. I tried standing and pedaling, that worked well for a while.

After Oak Hill, you had to turn onto Chapel Hill (all these roads end with Hill, and rightfully so), and that was the start of another climb. Long, but not too steep. I got passed at this point by a girl. NOOOO. Hehe, i tried keeping up with her, and I did (nice view) for a while, but she eventually pulled away. The start of Aneewakee road was uphill, but that was nothing compared to the hills you'd have to climb towards the end. At the end of Aneewakee, the hill was STEEP and long. I tried everything...zig zag, dropped gears, etc. It was rough, but I got up. I got passed by a few others, but still top 10, I kept thinking...

As I was ending Aneewakee, a JERK in a pickup towing some yard stuff in a trailer started honking maybe 10 seconds back...he got really close to me and honked the whole time. REAL JERK. I heard a few other racers talk about him. I should have gotten his license plate #. I'd like to punch him in the nose.

The last leg of the bike had some slight climbs, then....FREEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOM! Big downhill. I was going as fast as I could, pedaling downhill as fast as my 24th MTB gear would go. I could see some cyclists behind me (maybe 1/2) a mile back, on road bikes, trying to catch me. At this point (less than 2 miles to go), I was still top 10 and didn't want to get passed by anyone else. I figured that any chance of placing in my AG was going to be determined here. If they passed me, I wouldn't place...I pedaled SO hard, and got as aero as I could. At on time, I tried getting into the aero position by placing my forearms on handlebars. I almost wrecked going downhill...That rattled me a bit, but I didn't slow down.

As I neared T2, I didn't slow down until I absolutely had to. I almost bit it at the end, almost not having enough road to make the turn. I then went hard as I could until I hit the dismount area and then sprinted into T2.

Train more for hilly terrain. Man, that was rough!
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

T2 was a FIASCO.

I couldn't find my setup/rack point, so I decided I was going to just rack my bike anywhere. I took off my shirt, shoes, and ran to the pool...wait, no goggles!!! At this point, I decided to just go without them. I didn't want to run back. I think I saved 15 seconds by not going back...

Not forget where my area is and not forget goggles!!!!
Run
  • 19m 30s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where you will win the race on a Run Bike Swim triathlon.

My nephew and I nudged our way to the front of the race and got ready. The race started and it was a sprint through rough grass/terrain to the trail head. A bunch of guys started out way too hard. I was about 20 back from the lead guy (whom, btw, would not relinquish the lead for the whole race). I started my breathing rythem and just ran comfortably.

Once we ran the 1/4 mile to the trail head start, the sprinters started to fall back. I started to pick them off 1 by 1. They fell back easily. At this point I was top 5, then top 4. I saw a runner ahead of me and pulled ahead of him at the 1.5 mile mark. I heard him grunt "no way" and caught me again. We talked a little about the "pro", who was about 1/4 mile ahead of us. We were running hard, but not flat out sprint. He was a 20-24AG, so I didn't really feel pressure. I'll call him Red (after his red pants). Then he said that PRO was his AG and he was going to try and catch him. I told him to be my guest. At this point, I still thought I could catch Pro, too. Not. I felt strong running at my pace, but any harder and I'd risk the bike. Anyways, Red kicked it a little and was soon ahead of me, and pulling away. I figured I'd catch him in the last 1/2 mile.

There were a lot of turns and I kept losing Red around corners. I'd catch glimpses through openings in the woods, or see him at the end of long, straight stretches. I think that the furthest he got ahead of me was about 1/4 mile, but I was closing the gap...

The last half mile I started to really push it. Trail runs are hard b/c you can't exactly sprint like on a road or track. Too many roots, too many holes, bridges, turns, etc. I could see Red ahead of me as he exited the trail head. Crap! I started to run harder and by the time I exited the trail head, he was 3/4 of the way to the entrance to T1. I sprinted in, fourth overall at this point, and ran to my bike.

As I mentioned earlier, I left the transition before Red did. I think he had to change shoes and stuff...Since I was on my MTB, I just needed a helmet, sunglasses, and that's pretty much it...

This was a really good run. I know I could have run harder, but I was worried about the hills coming up for the bike...

I should have run harder, and pushed a low 6 minute mile pace...I wonder if I should have stayed with Red. I could have, I think.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. Got out of the pool and then went to find my shirt and pants. Had some drinks and food, and hung out with my family while waiting for the awards. I really thought I had at least placed 3rd in my AG. NOPE. I was FOURTH...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

MTB!

No goggles!

Event comments:

I really enjoyed this race and will probably make it a yearly event. I really, really hope that they get timing chips for next year. The award ceremony ran late (about 20 mins late), but it was fine, as the weather was pleasant, there were Red Bull chicks handing out their product, and fruit and other goodies to eat.

I was a little disappointed in the goody bag, but this being a first time event, I'm guessing it'll get much better.

Last updated: 2008-08-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:25 | 175 meters | 02m 31s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 0/167
Performance: Average
Suit: DeSoto Tri Shorts
Course: The pool distance was reduced from 400 to 200 b/c there were a bunch of first timers. The RD was concerned that ppl would collide if they had to return up the same lane. In a way, I was both glad and disappointed about that decision. It meant I could use more energy for the bike!
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:45
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:45:15 | 12 miles | 15.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/13
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Very hilly. Two big hills at mile 1 and 8, then a big downhill at mile 10.5. Most of the course was uphill, with some rolling hills halfway through.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:19:30 | 03.1 miles | 06m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/13
Performance: Good
Course: Nice trail, few roots, some dips here and there, primarily flat...
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-10-06 10:47 AM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: Douglasville Last Chance Triathlon

2008-10-06 11:15 AM
in reply to: #1720712

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: Douglasville Last Chance Triathlon

Hey d00d,

Nice report and great job on getting 4th AG, 17 overall.  You are in a tough AG - 1:10 was a great time for this course, especially with a MTB.  You must be a bad- runner!  Also very cool to get your nephew involved.  

MM

2008-10-09 3:29 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
Nice race.  You are getting the hang of this tri thing  aren't you? 
2008-10-15 10:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Congrats on the finish! That was a fun race with it being a reverse tri and you were right about the hills on the bike, wow!.  I was skeptical about the swim part and my arms felt like bricks, just like the legs normally do after the bike part.  Timing chips or split times would have been nice to have.  Definately a nice end of the season race for the inaugural race, looking forward to next year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Douglasville Last Chance Triathlon Rss Feed