General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 25m 2s
Overall Rank = 413/1929
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 66/225
Pre-race routine:

Arrived in Austin Thur morning. This was my first HIM and I am training for IMKY 2009, so I decided to treat this race as a dry run for my IM. I arrived before I could check into my hotel or pickup my bike, so I mad the short drive to the race site. They were just starting to setup the site so there was not much to see. Flying in from Va Beach, where the only hill is a bridge, I figured I would kill time and drive the bike course. The hills were not bad, but I took notice that there were numerous cracks in the road and quite a few sharp turns. I also took note of two large bumps in the road that claimed a few water bottles during the race. After driving the course twice, I know I am a little OCD, I went to pick up my bike. I had my bike shipped to Jack and Adams bike and picked up up Thur afternoon. They were very helpful and chatted for awhile. I headed for my hotel and called it a day. Fri morn headed back to the race site, I rode 30 miles on the bike to check everything out, (first time I shipped it). The ride was good and figured I was ready for that part of the race. I decided to check out this hill on the run called "quadzilla" to see what that was all about, OCD again. I ran the dirt part of the course (3 miles), and the QZ was not too much, I ran Boston last year, so I guess I was expecting more. Fri afternoon I headed to get my race packet, I arrived early and was able to pickup a t-shirt and sticker before to crowd. I stood inline for 30 min before they opened. I was in and out in 5 minutes and waited around for the athletes meeting. It was the first one I have attended and seemed OK. Another day done 1 more until race day. Sat morn after the pancake breakfast, I went early to rack my bike and did a warm up swim in the lake, swimming as you can see by my time is not my best event. The water seemed warm to me and I swam for 30 minutes. When I got out of the water a USAT official was telling others that wetsuits were legal. I asked what the water temp was? 77 he said, oh well, my wetsuit was still in Va so too bad for me. I kept telling myself I can't wear one at IMKY so I should get used to not having it anyway. The transition area opened so I racked my bike and checked out the bike and run exits before I left.
Event warmup:

Got up at 430, showered, grabbed my water bottles from the fridge and headed out. I had a bagel w/ pb and an ensure on the drive to the race. I arrived at the bus pickup at 515 and a good line was already formed. Somehow the line I was in went right away, so there was little wait, not sure what the system was, but it took some a while to get to the start. Set up my stuff and waited for the start. I had a banana and a gu 45 min prior to race start. I figured I would be racing for 6 hours so why waste energy warming up. The more people I saw with wetsuits, the more bummed I was mine was at home. After a short delay the race was on.
Swim
  • 36m 10s
  • 2000 meters
  • 01m 49s / 100 meters
Comments:

I know I am slow so I just tried to stay out of the way. I did good until the first turn. After that I stopped seeing my groups swim cap color and the group behind started passing. the rest of the swim I relaxed I was just kept going to the finish. When I exited the water and looked at my watch I thought I must have stopped the timer somehow. 36 min is slow, but I expected to see 45 min. Anyway I was real happy and knew a 6 hour HIM was still possible.
What would you do differently?:

Always bring your wetsuit, you never know. Last week the temp was min 80's and race day 77. My bad, won't happen again. I put avg for time, because for me it was avg.
Transition 1
  • 04m 30s
Comments:

Could have been faster, but was I was doing what I will do at IMKY, so I put on a bike jersey, gloves, drank an ensure before heading out.

nothing
Bike
  • 2h 47m 15s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.09 mile/hr
Comments:

I went as hard as I felt I could and still run 13.1 after. This is the end of my first year doing triathlon, so it's not like I have lots of experience. I was tired at the end so I am glad I did not push it more. My biggest concern was hydration and cramps so I drank plenty. I went through 6 24 oz bottle on the bike. 2 Accelerade, 2 Infinit, 2 Nuun. A salt pill every 30 min (6 total) and a GU every 45 min (4). I know it sounds like alot but I did not cramp on the bike or run si it worked for me.

nothing ... OK I need to learn how to draft behind the cars and trucks that were on the course as some of the others were doing.
Transition 2
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

Again I was a little slow because I changed into a running shirt.

Nada
Run
  • 1h 54m 37s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

Started fine 8:10 pace for about 4 miles, when I hit the quadzilla hill the first time I knew the rest of the run would suck. I slowed to a 9:45 pace for 2 miles and picked it up to 9-9:15 the rest of the way. It got warm and windy, but there was plenty of water and cold towels and sponges on the course and they really helped. I was never so glad to see the finish line. I have run over 20 marathons and that last mile was as hard as any I have run. Not real sure how I could finish a full IM after that.

Not much, do longer brick workouts to get ready for the run when you are tired
Post race
Warm down:

I had 2 of those ices (one of each flavor) passed on the burrito (I would have puked) and tried the pickle juice (bad idea) should have opted for a coke. Left the food area dropped my bike at the Jack & Adams tent and went for a swim back in the lake for a cool down. I would have gone by the BT tent, but being new to this site I did not know there was one. Next time.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

really happy with my first HIM time, I wanted to finish in 6 hours and did it in 5:25 so who am I to complain.

Event comments:

Loved every bit of it, the training is so worth it when you have a great race. Now I'm bummed because my next race is not until March. After my first year doing tri I am hooked and look forward to many more races next year. See you BTers at Eagleman & IMKY Aug 09.

Last updated: 2008-06-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:10 | 2000 meters | 01m 49s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/225
Overall: 1518/1929
Performance: Average
Suit: NO
Course: Counterclockwise Triangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:30
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:47:15 | 56 miles | 20.09 mile/hr
Overall: 477/1929
Performance: Good
HR on bike was Avg 149 max 174, 88 avg cadence, ascent 3337' avg speed 20.1 and max speed 41.2 (Garmin 305)
Wind: Some
Course: Good course, I was glad I drove it prior to race, it gave me confidence and I felt I knew where the trouble spots were. One turn was after a downhill so you had to slow way up. I knew after the turn it was straight uphill. I was already in a high gear so I was ready. Saw more than 1 throw a chain or get caught in the wrong gear. I did hit a bump in the road and my Garmin 305 popped off my bike, I thought oh s..., do I go back or not. In my mind I could hear my wife saying, "so you just left a $300.00 watch on the road and you want a new one", so I stopped, went back and found it in the road still working. Put it back on and I was on my way, it only cost 2 min, so that was worth it. Next time I will tape it down. My onlt advice to someone new to this like myself, ride the course if you can, if not drive it until you get a feel for the course. It really helped me knowing what was ahead.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:26
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:54:37 | 13.1 miles | 08m 45s  min/mile
Overall: 302/1929
Performance: Good
HR avg 159 max 185 (quadzilla) avg speed 6.4 max 8.3 (8:45 pace) ascent 1484
Course: 2/3 paved 1/3 dirt trail, 2 lap course. I ran it on Fri so I knew what to expect.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-10-06 9:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Va Beach
Subject: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron

2008-10-07 9:40 AM
in reply to: #1722804

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Subject: RE: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron
Congratulations on a good race and enjoyed reading the report
2008-10-07 4:54 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Congrats on your first HIM!  That's FAST!

Your OCD comments made me laugh.

2008-10-08 7:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Va Beach
2008-10-10 9:11 AM

User image

Veteran
The Colony, TX
Holy crap, you're first HIM was a 5:25? Wow, great race and good luck with your training for year 2 and IMKY.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed