General Discussion Triathlon Talk » biking vs. lifting fo swimming stregth Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-02-22 10:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN
Subject: biking vs. lifting fo swimming stregth
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.... 

I have been experimenting with the 3x3 and Swim Focused 20 week olympic training plans for the last month or so... My official 20 week begin 1st week of March to met my first triathlon on July 16th.   So here is my question or discussion points..

How does anyone find the time to put in these kind of hours... holy crap man...  The biking is especially bothersome..  When I travel half-weeks it makes it almost impossible to keep up... allthough I have winged it pretty good so far.....

Does the biking really need to be double the time of swimming and running?  Why so much biking?  I understand the olympic is 25 miles but it seems like over kill to train 300 (5 hours) of biking per week..

The other big issue is the bordem factor with biking inside (its cold and icy in MN!) so outdoor biking is not possible at the moment.  I have been cutting my biking down to 45-60 minutes at most and devoting more time to weight lifting... which consequently seems to have the biggest impact on my swimming ... 

Anyone have recommendations for a good weight lifting regimine for a tall lanky swimmer?  I am definitly into doing more lifting to improve upper back and upper body stregth to improve that part of my swimming challenge..  with my long arms it gets pretty tiring doing laps  (SL is 19-20 right now per 25 meters).... 

I think I bottled up several possible discusssion points into this one trilog.. but any comments on any of it is appreciated.  Regards....

2005-02-23 7:25 AM
in reply to: #121269

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT
Subject: RE: biking vs. lifting fo swimming stregth

I believe the reason there is so much biking is because that's where you will spend the majority of your time during the race.  If you look at each distance as an overall percentage of the total race distance, biking is by far adn away the highest percentage, and even if you went my time spent on each discpline, I think you'll find that the bike is where you'll spend the most time. 

Chris

2005-02-23 9:38 AM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
I think some lifting is good but you should be able to get all you need in 2 45min sessions per week. Stick with basic compound moves that work your chest, shoulders, back, and core. A simple workout might look like this:

Pull-ups - 5x12 (if you can't make 12 reps do as many as you can then finish the set with negatives)
DB or BB bent-over rows - 3x12-15
DB or BB chest press - 5x12-15 (I prefer dumbells for the additional range of motion)
DB or BB shoulder press 3x12-15 (again dbs extend the range but military presses with a bb are good too)
DB or cable lateral raises 3X15 (light weight here...focus on form)
Abs - I alternate between heavy intense exercises like incline crunches with 30lb DBs (5X10-12) one week and high volume exercises like leg raises (3X30) and side bridges the next.

The weights are kept relatively light so you don't need lots of time for recovery between sets (15-30seconds) or exercises (1-2 min). Carry a water bottle with you so you don't have to waste time running to the cooler every 5min. So we're talking ~25 sets total at about 30seconds each with 30seconds rest plus 2min break between each exercise...you should be able to get through this in under an hour. I typically put a 60-75 min Z2 run either before or after my lifting sessions.

On another note, if you are tall and lanky then I would expect you could easily get your stroke count donw to ~15-16 per 25m. I'd be willing to bet that you can significantly improve your efficiency in the pool and as a result your arms won't get nearly as tired.

As for biking indoors...pick up a Spinervals DVD. I've been using the Aero Base Builder II lately and it keeps me focused for a good 70-80min workout. You really need to shoot for a minimum of 60min on the bike at a time to develop the base necessary to build power later in the training cycle. Also keep in mind that biking on the trainer isn't the same as being out on the road. 60min on the trainer is like 75-80min outside since you can't coast or take advantage of hills. As long as you are on the trainer I'd focus on time rather than distance. Figure an hour on the trainer for every 20 miles you are supposed to ride outside...or 45 min on the trainer for every 60min outside.

Edited by TH3_FRB 2005-02-23 9:41 AM
2005-02-23 11:32 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Once again, I'll endorse the lifting program I've been doing since December, which is 2 body parts every morning, 4 sets 12 reps each. I use home weights, or do lunges or uses a swiss ball. it takes less than 10 minutes, works each body part once a week. I do it first thing in the morning. (get up, shower, drink 8 oz, lift, drink 8 oz, eat a good breafast, go to work). THat way I don't have to find an extra 45 minute chunk of time during the week.

Mon Chest & Back Extensions
Tue Shoulders & Abs
Wed Bi & Tri
Thrs Hams & Quads
Frid GLuts & Calves
Sat. inner & outer thighs.

If I miss one day, I'll double up the next day. It's been working great for me, I start the day off right, boost my metabolism first thing in the morning and can forget about it the rest of the day.
2005-02-23 12:11 PM

Master
portland, or
Most training plans will emphasize biking for the following reasons: it's the longest leg of the race; the recovery costs are typically less; most people can ride much longer then they can swim or run, so there's greater aerobic endurance gains to be had; run times in a triathlon are strongly influenced by bike fitness (if you're dead when you get off the bike, you aren't going to be able to put together a strong run).

As for the strength training for swimming. I tend to be a bit of a broken record on this but, the best strength training for swimming is done in the pool. Swim often. Find public pools or YMCA's in the areas that you travel to and swim while your traveling. You can add "strength training" by incorporating head-up swim sets (yes your feet will drop, that's the idea, you want this to be hard), and/or pulling with paddles, a pull buoy, and a strap around your ankles.

There is a benefit to some strength training as a method of injury prevention for swimming. Abduction, adduction, rotation, side lifts, front lifts, curls, and shoulder press. But I would (and do) use extremely light dumbells or stretch cords.

my $0.02

scott
2005-02-23 6:07 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
Many triathletes think they need more strength in the water, when most actually need better technique and balance. If this is the case with you, switch to doing more of your swim workouts drill-focused. However, there are some great strength training exercises on land that can help you in the water, mainly core exercises. Performing certain exercises on a swiss ball is a great way to build some core strength. I have a strength program in my guide, but you can get free info around the web about core exercises for swimming as well.

Good luck!
Kevin

2005-03-01 2:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN
thank you so much for the pointers... I am going to do more biking most certainly... but I am probably going to not do as much until it get s a tad bit warmer... the weight lifting advice was exactly what I was looking for.... 

Regards,
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » biking vs. lifting fo swimming stregth Rss Feed