General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training plan question.. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-02-24 12:40 AM

User image

Expert
Jackson, Mississippi
Subject: Training plan question..
Ok,
So I've been looking through the beginner sprint training programs and trying to fit one of them to my personality, habits and schedule..

There is a sprint on june 25th which is just over 20 weeks away so i've chosen one of the 5 month programs.

Here are two versions of month one of the run focused program that I hacked up for me.

http://waskelton.net/tri/workout.php

Here are the reasons why they ended up being the two options..

1. I needed to have a run on my two-a-days because I figure running is the easiest of the three to do in the morning (I"m NOT a morning person.. yet :)) swim and bike have to be at the gym since I don't own a bike yet
2. Thursday evenings are taken with music practice
3. Friday and Saturday could be switched but when I get a bike i'd like to reserve my long rides for the weekend.

Here are my concerns..
With option 1 i'm running back to back on Sunday and Monday..

With option 2 all my swimming is early in the week

Right now i'm leaning towards option 2 because it seems to be the safest.. or is it even a problem at all?

edit: oh.. one more thing.. I'd also like to incorporate weight training in hopes to help prevent injury as well as to try and drop this excess weight i'm carrying around.. nothing to bulk up.. just to help increase calorie burning muscle. Maybe on Monday and Wednesday before the swim? thoughts?

Any input is greatly appreciated..

I"m gonna do this!
Will

P.S. This is the Tri i'm going for..
http://tri4god.com

Edited by waskelton 2005-02-24 12:56 AM

2005-02-24 12:57 AM
in reply to: #121780

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Subject: RE: Training plan question..
Running back to back doesn't have to be a problem depending on how much you run, how fast and how long you've been running.

I run 4 days a week: Sun, Mon, Tues, and Thurs. My Monday evening run is short and slow.

I've found some helpful info on this site: http://www.davidhays.net/running/buildingbase.html

Funny you say running would be the easiest in the morning. No way would I be able to get up, get dressed and get myself out the door for a run. And don't even mention swimming. But I can thrown on some shorts and sit on the bike trainer while watching Good Morning America.

I suppose if I were in your position, though, a run would be the better option.

Having all your swimming be early in the week is OK too. My swims are on Monday and Wednesday. I suppose I could figure out a way to get another one in later in the week, but I'd rather go running.

Congrats on setting this goal! More power to you!

PS. I used to have some very good friends in Jackson. My Daddy's people are from Brookhaven.
2005-02-24 3:25 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
I like doing my longer workouts on the weekends. Long swim on Saturday and bike/bricks on Sunday, then off on Monday. I also like it that way because it coordinates my preparation better with the actual weekend races.
The only suggestion I would offer would be to do your 2x day on Wed before your off day.
Also, living in the real world, expect to have conflicts and have to miss workouts and switch things around at times.

Good luck with your program.
Mark
2005-02-24 6:47 AM

User image

Expert
White House, TN
Regarding weight training, I just do old-fashioned, Army style calesthenics. I (try to) do push-ups and sit-ups three times a week, usually before I go to bed. The reason I chose these over weights is that I'm hoping to increase my repetitions and, therefore, my endurance. Plus, I didn't want another time commitment that I had to go to the gym for.
2005-02-24 8:56 AM
in reply to: #121785

New user

PS. I used to have some very good friends in Jackson. My Daddy's people are from Brookhaven.

I'm originally from MS as well. I grew up in Ocean Springs, and graduated from Miss. State. My wife is from around the Columbus area. Live in west-central Arkansas now.
2005-02-24 9:47 AM

User image

Expert
Jackson, Mississippi
Thanks for the replies everyone..

By RedCorvette...
Also, living in the real world, expect to have conflicts and have to miss workouts and switch things around at times.

No doubt.. Thats one of the reasons that I hacked up the original workout.. so I would have the best chance at making as many days as possible..

By madkat
Running back to back doesn't have to be a problem depending on how much you run, how fast and how long you've been running.

Yeah.. I don't run much.. and I have some weight to loose.. Also.. I did a back-to-back not long ago and my right knee ended up being rather sore at the end of my second days run.. Maybe once i become a stronger runner I'll be able to look at my schedule again..

By Hawkeye...
Regarding weight training, I just do old-fashioned, Army style calesthenics. I (try to) do push-ups and sit-ups three times a week,

I've been doing some also.. but I really would like to get a better overall strength workout. Maybe some of those workout bands would give me this without another trip to the gym.. although.. currently I have my lifting days on the same days as my swims so i'm already at the gym.

Has anyone had experience with those "power bands" or resistance bands or whatever they are called? Maybe that would be a good way to go..

By BenDog...I grew up in Ocean Springs, and graduated from Miss. State.

Go Bulldogs!! I graduated from State as well!

Thanks for all of the input everyone!

Will

2005-02-24 10:18 AM

User image

Expert
Jackson, Mississippi
OOPS...

ok.. so I found another problem

I totally messed up my time calculations and should actually be in week 3 of my plan and I don't think that I can do the times for the run and maybe not the swim either.. Continuously that is..

Looking at what is left ahead of me.. Is it too much to fast and will I be ready?

Is it possible to tell by just looking at the plan and not really knowing me?

Thanks again
Will
2005-02-24 11:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northeast Ohio

Will,

I wouldn't worry about being not beinig able to run or swim continuosly for the times in your training.  As a matter of fact, Jeff Galway encourages walking breaks even for marathon training.  So this week if you have 24 minute runs and swims, just make your total workout for 24 minutes.  Pay attention that you're not pushing your body too hard.  This season you really want to focus on endurance; speed will come later.

In November I started using a heart rate monitor and like so many people here have posted, it forced me to slow WAY down (as a matter of fact one day there was a walker up ahead of me and I prayed that I would be able to pass him!)  Some people use RPE (rate of perceived exertion) to figure how hard they should be working.  Basically, if you couldn't carry on a conversation, you're pushing too hard.  When I first started using the heart rate monitor I was found myself thinking, "oh man, this is really slow, but I feel like I could go at this pace forever".

For the swim workout I think it's actually encouraged that you break your swim into sets.  Instead of seeing how far you can swim in 24 minutes, you may want to swim a 100 warm up and then sets of 50 with a rest inbetween each set.  You count your rest time as part of your workout, so you spend 24 minutes total in the pool, hopefully most of it swimming and some of it resting.

I think you'll be surprised at how quickly your endurance will build.

Debi

2005-02-24 11:20 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I can identify with your questions. I am in week 3 of a 16 week program for a tri on may 21. my work schedule is schizophrenic, so I'm always shuffling the days. As long as I have at least one day between the same activities, and one day completely off, I've been OK so far. If I have to take 2 or 3 days off in the week due to 14 hour days for example, I'll double up the shorter workouts, like a short swim & run at the gym. I still can't run more than 5 minutes continuously, but I can do several sets of 5 minutes with 1-2 minute walking breaks.

As far as weights go, I lift every morning, 2 body parts, 4 sets, 12 reps, 1 day off a week. It takes less than 10 minutes and is part of my morning routine. (wake up, drink 8 oz water, lift, drink 8 oz water, shower, breakfast) That way I do not have to find a big chunk of time to get to the gym. I use dumbells, a swiss ball, and do lunges & stuff for my legs. I can get a decent workout with just my bodyweight for the legs, using the ball for some back extension, hamstring stuff & 10 pound dumbells for shoudlers & bicep curls. I do pushups usually for my chest, since I don't have a bench or heavier dumbells at home. It's been workign out great. Every part gets done once a week.

M Chest & back extensions
T Shoulders & abs
W Biceps & Triceps
H Quads & Hams
F GLuts & Calves
S inner & outer thighs
S rest

Each week I'll do a slightly different variation, or maybe 2 variations in one workout to total 4 sets (i.e. front raise & shoulder press for shoulder day, or table top dips & overhead extensions for tri day, etc).

GOod luck, you sound determined, you'll find a way to do it!
2005-02-24 11:23 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
One other thing, that's worked for me...if you really want to drop weight, adding muscle mass helps a lot even just a little muscle as it increases your basal rate. But the single biggest factor is calorie intake, You can cram the calories in much, much faster than you can exercise them off! So for losing weight and being active, you really need to make a committment to high quality foods going in with nutrients, & long burning energies like complex carbs, lean proteins and the "right" fats in small quantities (15% or so of total calories).

I lost 15 pounds over the past three months by just diet and weights...no aerobics. Now that I'm adding the aerobic stuff in, like running, I'm doing it much more easily than when I tried in December!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training plan question.. Rss Feed