Midwest Sports Events
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 16-19
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at about 5:00am. Showered and changed into race gear. Made a piece of whole wheat toast with peanut butter on it for food. Stopped at the gas station on the way out and grabbed a Red Bull too. Drank half of that on the drive to the race.
Event warmup:

Ran the length of the Lambeau Field parking lot twice. About 1/2 to 3/4 mile warmup. Legs felt fantastic and I knew it would be a great day if they stayed like that!
Run
  • 24m 48s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

This is probably the best 5k that I have ever run! I had a plan going into the race. Run it at 8 min pace. Well I hit that right on the nose!

(actual data is coming as soon as I find my watch)
Mile 1: 7:45
Mile 2: 8:00
Mile 3: 8:10

Ran into T1 feeling AWESOME and totally pumped for the bike leg.
What would you do differently?:

Not a single thing!
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

Ok transition. Running shoes came off fast, bike shoes on fast. Put my sunglasses on but they started to fog up reeealy bad. I need to remember to put those in my pocket until I get moving.

Tried to jump on but slipped a bit on the pavement and missed! Recovered and got moving.

Couldn't get my right foot clipped in for the life of me! Probably because I was using Mutri's old SPD's because he borrowed mine for Ironman.

Put sunglasses in pocket.
Get my new shoes back and use the speedplay's to clip in faster.
Bike
  • 1h 15m
  • 26 miles
  • 20.80 mile/hr
Comments:

Again, I had a plan and I was right on it. I wanted to average 20 mph and every 5 miles I checked my watch and saw I was on schedule.

Didn't have the bike computer. Not sure where the heck it is? Had to rely on my watch + markings every 5 miles and a little math to figure out my speed.

Made it to the half way point feeling good still! I just finished my first water bottle of Gatorade as planned and made it to the bottle handoff. Picked a girl and shouted pointed to her that I wanted Gatorade. Flew past her and had a great handoff! She did a great job with the handoff and I didn't have to slow down much at all. Great job girl!!

So I'm past mile 25 bringing it home and thinking about the last mile run and how I reeealy need to push myself. If I continued biking at my current pace and ran the last mile in 8 minutes I could finish under 1:10 and have a really good chance at placing in my AG! So I kicked it up another notch for the last part of the bike until...

So I'm riding down the road and staying about 8 feet away from the curb because there are all sorts of leaves and branches and things you don't want to ride over. Some idiot decides that since I'm riding that far over and he wants to pass me, he's going to do it on my right side. No warning, no call out of "on your right", he just goes for it. I'm a little surprised and move over from the parking lane into the driving lane and let the dummy pass me. As I'm moving over back from the driving lane to the parking lane all of a sudden... OH CRAP THIS IS GONNA HURT!

(Cool picture time!)

Here's the idea of the parking/driving lanes and all the crap on the side of the road.

See that little gap in between them? Yeah it's supposed to be filled with dirt, little weeds, tar, cement... The exact spot where I crossed back into the parking lane the gap was just wide enough for a bike wheel. Not only that, but it had NOTHING in the gap! It is like a 3 inch drop down.

See how nicely it fits!

So from what I can figure out, my front wheel went down in there and my back wheel stayed out. The front wheel got jammed in there and popped the front tire. My back wheel stayed out and when the front stopped it didn't so my whole bike went fishtailing to the right. Did a little tipping/flying and landed on my right side.

Now for the aftermath! Luckily I took most of the fall and the bike got away without much damage. The only thing I managed to kill was the front rim and some nasty scratches on the rear derailleur.

Chunks of metal are missing from the sidewall/braking surface.

Looking back at it today, I'm not as angry about crashing now. I'm really lucky that I didn't get hurt very seriously. I easily could have broken bones or seriously broken my bike but I got away with minimal injuries! Just a bit of road rash, a nice bruise on my hip, hurt hand, and a bruised ego...

What would I do differently: Not crash!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 1.3 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race

Last updated: 2008-10-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:48 | 03.11 miles | 07m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:00
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Bad
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Bad
Biking
01:15:00 | 26 miles | 20.80 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back along the Fox river. 16 miles each way.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 01.3 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-10-13 4:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Green Bay Duathlon

2008-10-13 7:19 PM
in reply to: #1739656

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Green Bay Duathlon
OH MY!!!  I am so glad you didn't get hurt worse.  Where you around in the morning when they announced those wholes in the road?  I was keeping my eye out for them... I'm glad you are okay... you'll do it next time!
2008-10-13 9:38 PM
in reply to: #1740047

User image

Veteran
Nope never heard them mention anything about the roads that morning? Just my luck haha
2008-10-13 9:44 PM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin

Wow...that sucks! You were having an awesome race. Great run to start it off and awesome bike split dood! Glad you are ok!!

2008-10-14 11:07 AM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Bummer. Glad you are ok though. Stupid people on the race course scare me.
2008-10-14 5:18 PM

User image

Regular
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Wow!  I thought the roads were a bit beat up in places, but I NEVER saw that gap...  Glad you aren't hurt!  (and that was a rocking pace, too!)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Green Bay Duathlon Rss Feed