General Discussion Triathlon Talk » PAcific Coast Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-10-20 5:44 PM

User image

Regular
Rowan University - Health & Exercise Science Major
Subject: PAcific Coast Triathlon

Hello to everyone!

I'm trying to find a few poeple who have competed in this event.  Next year it will host the USAT Sprint National Championships.  My coach wants me to find out as much as i can about the race.

Is it hilly or flat? Fast or slow?

Any and al information would be fantastic, as it will give us a better idea as to the course and whether were going to head out to Cali for this race next season.

Thanks, Kieran

2008-10-20 6:24 PM
in reply to: #1755184

New user
Subject: RE: PAcific Coast Triathlon

I haven't actually competed in this race, but I had a friend who did and also have ridden the PCH bike portion of the course.

PCH in that area of Newport is rolling hills, with one decent climb that will get you out of the saddle.  As for what my buddy told me about the race, apparently there is a pretty good stretch of the run that is on the sand or on unpaved trails.  I guess there are also some good climbs on the run as well.  As for the swim, OWS in socal is all pretty much the same.  I can tell you that the water here rarely, if ever gets about 70 degrees and the swell is usually not much more than a few feet.  For a sprint you may be ok without a westuit, but I would still wear one.

I know that isn't much info, but I hope it helps some.

2008-10-21 2:23 PM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA
Click on "Search Race DB" (above right), and you'll be able to find some past race reports on this event.
2008-11-07 3:37 PM

New user

Homeland
Done the race 2x.

Water is cold. 2 laps in the water. You exit the water and get back in. Exiting to the transition is up hill and on steps.

Transition flat and green grass. Bike out along the coast not hilly you actually ride past beach front homes, the golf course, the coast and turn like you are in a forest back around and then back to the transition area and repeat 4x (I could be off on the number)

The run runs out along a path that will take you to the aquarium almost and turn then up onto the street a couple miles to a turn that you go up a hill over down (n shape) and turn back onto the street you left back to the turnaround and repeat 3x.

It is a beautiful course. Great for people to see you compete. Very organized, clean and fun. A few CAF and TNT groups and a PRO wave that starts later after the general public.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » PAcific Coast Triathlon Rss Feed