General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Having some trouble Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-02-27 5:07 PM

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
Subject: Having some trouble
Lately on my runs, I have been feeling very fatiged. I have been doing more cycling and started swimming regularly again. I have changed my diet some, but not too much (was eating a cucumber at lunch, started eating a grapefruit instead). I thought maybe I was not getting enough protein, so I started eating tuna for lunch on the days I do a ride after work as well. My times are getting better, between 26 & 29 mins for a 3 mile run. I just feel so BEAT after. My legs are sore feeling during the run and sore after. It is my calves that are sore during and upper/inner thighs after. I thought I needed a rest week, so I did that last week, it helped for the first 3 or so runs, but now I am back were I was-SORE. Today I did a wierd workout/brick (11 mile ride on tri bike, 11 mile ride on road bike, then a 3 mile run in 26 mins), so I kinda understand today. Could it be my shoes need to be replaced? I have only had them for about 4 months. I do almost all my runs on concreat, maybe 1 every 6 weeks on a treadmill. The sole is starting to get worn down. I just dont think I should have to replace my shoes every 4 months. Sorry for babbling on and thanks for listening. I welcome any input from you all.

2005-02-27 5:27 PM
in reply to: #123090

User image

Regular
Kansas (Kansas City area)
Subject: RE: Having some trouble
I think the rule of thumb about buying new running shoes is every 300-500 miles. It usually takes me around 5-6 months to reach that point. After I find a pair I "like," I go back to buy another pair, that way when I get to the event I'm gonna do, I have the same model. As for the soreness, I don't have any suggestions other than to make sure you stretch really well afterwards. I'll stretch up to 10-15 minutes even after a 30 minute run.

P.S. You're right, that does sound like a weird brick workout... tri bike to road bike? What's the purpose of that?
2005-02-27 7:03 PM

Joe,
sounds like your diet may need some fine tuning as well as your work-out regimen. "Tired and run-down' may be your body saying i need a break. Are you getting enough sleep? are you getting the proper amount of fat, protein and carbs in your diet? How many meals a day do you eat? Maybe you are not eating enough. Don't mean to confuse you but you need to pay attention to your diet as much as your training..BODY FOR LIFE by jim philips was a good start for me..easy read and may give you some clues to understanding your body and its nutritional requirements
Pure Vida,
Dave skar
2005-02-27 7:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
In general, the best way to reduce fatique is...

1) rest... by increased recovery time. This may even mean no activity until you feel completely fresh (no particularly number of days - your body will say when to go back).

2) significantly decrease volume and intensity with increase frequency.

One of these two methods or a combination of these will usually work... unless, you are beginning to have medical problems related to either - diet (i.e., allergy, gastro-intestinal in nature, incorrect mix of dietary needs, etc.) or physical (anemic, hormonal/thryroid, hypo-glycemic, etc.) related. Sometimes it takes more than reduced activity and/or rest to help remove the fatiqued like feeling. In those instances, it is wise to get a blood test to help determine the cause.

FWIW

Joe Moya
2005-02-27 7:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Possibly also look at your hydration.
Are you drinking enough water?
2005-02-27 7:53 PM

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
Hey,
Thanks for all the help. I think a few things for me to focus on here will be my diet, shoes and a really big one will be the amount of water. I prolly do not drink enough water every day, not just today. I eat a bagle with a small amount of jelly or 2 packages of instant oatmeal with a handfull of rasins of breakfast, lunch will be a yogart, banana, apple and grapefruit or cucumber, a handfull of prezles or fig bars (no more than 6) for a mid afternoon snack. Dinner will be some type of meat (usually chicken or ground turkey, very little beef) with veggies and maybe a pasta on the side or spaggitti or tacos ect....I try to drink 2 bike type bottles of water at work, but usually do not drink enough before or after my lunch time run!! After work I will swim or do a ride/spin class 3 or 4 nights, also not drinking enough water. I belive the shoes are on the way out, but the water is what I need to really look at. Thanks.

Mike C. There was no real reason behind my odd brick today. My wife was painting a room so I decided to take the tri bike out for the second time. When I got home, she wanted to do a ride, so I went with her on the road bike (BTW, big diff between the two!!), when we were almost home, she said "Hey, lets go for a run", so we did!

2005-02-28 9:28 AM
in reply to: #123150

User image

Extreme Veteran
Freeswimmingfish - 2005-02-27 1:53 AM
I eat a bagle with a small amount of jelly or 2 packages of instant oatmeal with a handfull of rasins of breakfast, lunch will be a yogart, banana, apple and grapefruit or cucumber, a handfull of prezles or fig bars (no more than 6) for a mid afternoon snack.

Hi, Joe!
Only one yoghurt until evening? I would say you are getting seriously small amounts of proteins. And I can't see any fats listed, too. There is some formula for protein needs like 1g (or whatever, not sure) of protein for every pound of body weight, an it shouldn't be consumed in one meal but divided in 4-5 meals. I would be terribly tired eating like that but everyone has different needs. May I ask why you reduced your protein and fat intake?
My 2c are: add a cottage chease and few almonds to your breakfast, mix your lunch banana with a protein powder and a small amount of peanut butter in a shake, and add one egg or 2whites (or string cheese) to your pretzels snack.
I ditto everyone else had said.
Wish you quickly regainning all your strenth!
2005-02-28 9:54 AM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Freeswimmingfish - 2005-02-27 2:07 PM

I do almost all my runs on concreat,

Bingo! Along with the nutrition issues, this may be one of your biggest problems. Concrete is about the hardest running surface you can find. Try running on a local track occasionally, smooth dirt trails or grass is good, and even asphalt is considerably better than concrete. Try some other surfaces, improve your nutrition, and you'll be better in no time I'm betting. Good luck.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Having some trouble Rss Feed