United States
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 26m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

After reading a race report by a dog a couple weeks ago I decided I wanted to do a race with Sara since she is such a great running partner. Sara is my yellow lab that we adopted about 15 months ago and she does about 90% of my runs with me. This race has a safe course and I have run it often so I decided we would give it a shot. Woke up early and discussed strategy with Sara. We set our goal at 28 minutes. We drove over to pick up my niece who wanted to race too. The race actually starts in a friends front yard. Put Sara in the fence and went over to sign up.
Event warmup:

Sara and I jogged for 5 minutes.
Run
  • 26m 30s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

We started in the back as I didn't want to get in the way of the racers. It was a small race, maybe 90 people. They shot off a gun and it got Sara's attention. We crossed the start line 6 seconds after the start. Sara immediately figured out what her job was and immediately begin trying to pass everyone. One minor traffic jam but other than that she was good about giving people space. The first 1.5 miles she was pulling me. We passed alot of folks and everyone cheered for me. I was worried she would stop when we had to make the 180 degree turn but she followed the kid in front of me and made the turn perfect. By 1.6 she had stopped pulling me and was running a loose leash. I felt great and we were able to keep our pace very even all the way through. We made the final turn home and again Sara's instinct was solid and we both pushed the pace in.

Sara was amazing, she never thought about slowing down to sniff or pee, she raced.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe find a better way to start closer to the front. Sara wanted to be leading and she was dragging me for a while!
Post race
Warm down:

Found water for Sara and walked around. My niece found us and we went and turned in our times.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Starting in the back, made the first mile tough, but not sure if there was a better solution. We were lucky it was a small uncrowded race.

Event comments:

This is a nice race with a really good course. The race suffered because of several same day races and I think they lost some there major sponsor because of economic reasons. I donated a couple of nice door prizes but I can't afford title sponsorship.

This is the course where I have my PR 5k. I think it was in this race last year. We were only 25 seconds off of that but I really didn't even think about that. I had a great time with my dog and I was very impressed that she knew how to race.

Oh, my niece beat us by a minute and a half and won her age group. I also won the age group but Sara gets the credit for pulling me so hard!

Last updated: 2008-10-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:30 | 03.1 miles | 08m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
8:24 152 8:35 162 8:40 169 .1 .51 174 162 average
Course: Starts from Franks front yard, out 1.1 mile, back a half mile, then a loop around a pond and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-10-25 8:15 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: Sandman 5k

2008-10-25 8:28 PM
in reply to: #1765998

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Subject: RE: Sandman 5k

So did you win or did Sara?   And what is Sara's age group, by the way???

Actually, I wanted to say -- look at your pace!!!  You did amazing.  Your running has really come around, don't you think?  I'm disappointed that we didn't race against each other last weekend, although there is no doubt that you would have crushed me on the bike.

2008-10-26 9:17 PM
in reply to: #1765998

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Sandman 5k

Did she wear a number?

Sounds like a lot of fun...this is why we do this...great!

Dang you are speedy..I'm going to work hard on my running to get faster than you..it is a little goal.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sandman 5k Rss Feed