General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training fora Half Marathon while using a Winter Maintenance Plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-10-28 3:02 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Training fora Half Marathon while using a Winter Maintenance Plan

I finally made the commitment and signed up as a Silver member yesterday.  I completed my first Half Marathon a week ago.I used the Hal Higdon internediate plan and pretty much laid off my swimming and biking for about 5 weeks.  I am planning on completing another half marathon on April 5, 2009.  At the same time I want to really work on the tri fitness over the winter.

I've played around with dropping both the half-marathon and the 7-10 hour winter maintenance plan into my training plan but I am having trouble figuring out if the run volume from the half will interfere with the winter maintenance.

Can anyone share their experience with what I am trying to do.  One idea I had was to modify the winter maintenance plan to include longer runs Saturday and an additional run on Fridays.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

2008-10-28 3:24 PM
in reply to: #1771229

User image

Boulder, Colorado
Subject: RE: Training fora Half Marathon while using a Winter Maintenance Plan

Hi Mitch,

These are great questions. We get these types of questions often on the Gold Forum - so I thought I'd give you an idea of what we would suggest:
Importing and combining the two plans would be a good idea - the question becomes 'Can you handle the Half Marathon run volume?' - if you can, then you will be fine to use both plans together. If not, then you would need to be cautious on how fast you build up the running volume.

You could modify the current WM plan but its not really built for a half marathon focus so that wouldn't really work. I would stick with using the HM plan and the swim/bike/strength workouts from the WM plan.

I hope this helps - If you have any other questions, let us know.

2008-10-28 3:26 PM

User image

Master
Thanks Mike.  I might look at stripping out the optional runs in the Half Marathon and then opportunisitically replacing some of the more recovery focused runs with the scheduled swimming or biking in the winter maintenance plan.

Edited by dangremond 2008-10-28 3:29 PM
2008-10-28 4:55 PM
in reply to: #1771307

User image

Boulder, Colorado

Try to have one run per week be easy - if you need more easy running than that, then replace with a bike ride.

Running should be quality focused with one long run, one speed run, and one medium distance run with high aerobic efforts (top of Z2).

2008-10-28 5:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan
dangremond - 2008-10-28 4:02 PM

I finally made the commitment and signed up as a Silver member yesterday.  I completed my first Half Marathon a week ago.I used the Hal Higdon internediate plan and pretty much laid off my swimming and biking for about 5 weeks.  I am planning on completing another half marathon on April 5, 2009.  At the same time I want to really work on the tri fitness over the winter.

I've played around with dropping both the half-marathon and the 7-10 hour winter maintenance plan into my training plan but I am having trouble figuring out if the run volume from the half will interfere with the winter maintenance.

Can anyone share their experience with what I am trying to do.  One idea I had was to modify the winter maintenance plan to include longer runs Saturday and an additional run on Fridays.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

I am assuming you're training for the Martian 1/2.  I have run that the past two years and love it!  

I am training for the Martian 1/2 also and am biking and swimming twice a week.  I am following Hal Higdon's Intermediate or Advanced (I think advanced).  I can't remember which I decided on.  I wrote it all down in my date book. 

I am no tri expert but think doing the 1/2 training and cycling and swimming to be okay.  I am doing that and lifting weights four days a week.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training fora Half Marathon while using a Winter Maintenance Plan Rss Feed