Piranha Sports
63F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 10m 8s
Overall Rank = 151/171
Age Group = M 45-49
Age Group Rank = 9/9
Event warmup:

Unfortunately, not too much of one. Couldn't practice swim and got a bit rushed in transition as my friend Mike was running a bit behind.
Swim
  • 15m 31s
  • 793 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

3 swim waves here and the Half Lite folks started off a half hour before the first Sprint so they could get their 2 laps around an inverted triangular course. This worked well, but a half hour standing around the wetsuit is a fairly long time with no warmup allowed. The second wave was all Sprint men and the last wave was all Sprint women. As we come down to the beach to get goggles prepared, we’re standing in the sand and it is COLD! Believe it or not, it was warmer walking into the water! This was supposed to be a beach start but they changed it to a wade instead, which was okay by me. The water is very calm all things considered and there is very little wind. Very peaceful setting and nice for opern water swimming. Now we’re waiting until the last minute is counted down….Waiting….and the word “GO!” is shouted and we’re off on this inaugural event!

Thank goodness, no fog here. So sighting at first isn’t a problem. I actually feel like I’m doing okay, but the water is 66 and a bit chilly even in the wetsuit. Plus it’s always feels cold on your face at first until you get warmed up. Well, as I’m sighting around, I see that I’m about mid pack and my sighting goes pretty well this race. I only really remember pausing just once this time. I rounded the first buoy without a problem but then I remember going a bit left to the next one. Not by too much though and I round the second buoy without problems. The water is pleasantly pretty clear for once and I can see feet here and there which I try to stay behind when I can. Problem is that there are a lot of folks without sighting experience and they stop in front of me quite often. On the last leg back, the sun has come out and sighting is a bit of a problem. But, thanks to Piranha, they put a big inflatable arch for the swim exit and this helped sighting to the finish tremendously. And I’m still mid pack for once which was a confidence builder. I did have problems staying relaxed and found myself only breathing to one side more often than not. Something to continue to work on. So I see the bottom appear and after I touch, stand up jogging out of the water. Then shades of Kinetic - can’t pull my wetsuit zipper down. I ask for help from a guy behind and he graciously gets me unstuck, for which I thank him for very much. I gotta have that checked. Second time that’s happened, different suit.

What would you do differently?:

Have to check the zipper on my suit before each race, maybe put some sort of parafin(?) to help it.
Transition 1
  • 02m 14s
Comments:

T1 goes okay without too much incident. I take a little more time getting into my vest and probably too a bit too much getting out of the suit and into shoes. Plus I put on a brace for my left knee for support. But, rather that then forget something. Jogging through transition was a bit cramped and had to avoid folks. Clip in at the mount area and I’m off on this challenging bike course.

I probably didn't need the vest after all, but it was okay. Need to practice more getting out of my suit. But 2:14 is not to bad for me considering it was 3 something at Mussleman.
Bike
  • 2h 10m 22s
  • 21.13 miles
  • 9.72 mile/hr
Comments:

The first challenge is the short but steep 12% hill out of the park. But before that, I’m having some sort of problem getting out of my low chainring. Won’t shift up. But that finally works itself out and I’m able to shift okay again, just in time to go back down to it for this hill. There’s a short descent and then a slight hill coming up to the turn on Route 40. Aaaah - what a rush! A flying downhill to Crystal Falls road. I pass a few people ahead on this which gives me a bit of confidence. This is somewhat short-lived as they pass me as we turn onto Crystal Falls. But, I’m keeping folks in sight somewhat. Come up behind one guy and he’s on the left. I yell “On your left” but he doesn’t move. Now I really yell and he finally moves over but sounded like he might’ve yelled something angrily back. But I didn’t really catch it and just ignored him as I went by. Well, he probably doesn’t know the no blocking rule or the fact that you’re not supposed to pass on the right. Warned one person about drafting too, but I didn’t seem much of that due to other reasons. Didn’t see any refs the whole time, BTW.

As with my practice rides, I’m doing okay and moving a little bit better with my aero helmet and the lighter wheel in the back. There aren’t really any surprises here, even with the chill in the air. The vest was a good decision and it’s keeping me comfortable, even though I am near or above lactate threshold sometimes.

Unfortunately, disaster strikes the second time this season 8 miles into the course. I’m coming up to a second short steep climb and down shift to the small chainring. The shift doesn’t go smoothly and it appears to bunch up. Well, I’m on a hill and I don’t need to fall, so I do get myself unclipped and think backpedaling may work this out. It seems to but then the chain tension releases and I think that it’s fallen off. If only that had been the case. I move to the side and see the chain dragging - it’s broken! I’m really looking at it in disbelief as I walk my bike over to a level drive. Well, I’ve seen Mike use the chain tool a couple of times and think that maybe I can do this. At first, I seem to be getting it. But, after many, many minutes of trying, I’m really not getting anywhere. A few folks stop to ask if I’m okay and I wave them by thinking that I can do this. Many cyclists go by and it’s funny to hear the grunting and voices of dismay climbing that hill. Then a siren from the fire station I passed by earlier goes off and an ambulence goes by. I think “Oh no, someone’s had an accident”. As it turns out, this kinda worked in my favor. Not too long afterwards, a pickup pulls up offering to take me to the fire station where the bike mechanic is. They were carrying the bike of the guy that crashed. Two broken spokes. I now consider myself very lucky. I first think no, but then the possibility of DNF hits me and I’m like “yes, please!” Shame this didn’t happen a bit earlier, well not for the crashed cyclist I mean. We drive a mile or so down the road and the mechanic fixes me up in no time flat. But, the damage is done. My watch says 1:47. If everything had gone okay, I would’ve been on the run now. No way I can hope to place today. But, now I’m out to finish and not come in last. So I set off once again, unfortunately covering some ground I had already.

The Big Bad Wolf climb appears and I use my 30-27 for all its worth. I actually passed a few folks here but these were probably the Half Lite folks on their second lap. The one guy I bet was wishing for a triple at that point. The hill is proving again to be difficult as expected but I’m making my way up it steadily only having to get out of the saddle a few times. After I top the crest, the rest is all gravy as far as I’m concerned. The one downhill on Pleasant Walk is a welcome rush of 46 mph! On these last rollers, I pass folks who I think are Sprint folks which helps my disposition but I know I’m still way behind. Last hill to the park, clear behind, and I zoom through the entrance! Go down the steep hill, onto the flat, get out of my shoes, and smoothly dismount on my one pedal. Well, not so smoothly as one of my shoes comes loose. I yell back to the nice volunteers to just save it and give them my number. No real time to stop as I run into T2.

I need to have those quick chain connectors. Will add that to my gear bag.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Like I said above, got out of my shoes okay and balancing nicely to get off the bike running into T2. My friend, Mike Matney, has finished (no shock here) and worriedly asks if I’m okay. I yell back that I’m okay, ask to him to get my shoe, and yell that my chain broke. T2 goes pretty quick and I’m out onto the run in 1:08, even with putting socks on and the long run in.

Probably need to see about not losing my shoes and what to do about that.
Run
  • 40m 55s
  • 4.91 miles
  • 08m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Well too many bikes in transition told the story. But, I press on anyway determined to finish and also not be last. My running legs are there but they’re complaining a little bit as I tackle this first major climb. I pass a few folks walking and I’m breathing heavily here to almost panting. As I’m coming closer to the top, I see many people running on the other side, some who I recognized from the First Timers meeting. My heart sinks a bit, but I press on. Make it to the top, recompose, and start bounding down the hill. Now, I had been having problems with my left knee but that didn’t reappear today and I really was moving quickly down the hill, passing a few people here and there. Make the turn on Mountain Laurel, heading to the turn around and pass one more person. Turned around, back out to the climb and it’s worse this time. I’m moving very slowly but I’m not walking and I’m really breathing heavily here and panting. Just a bit more to the top… Finally, I reach the aid station at the top and it’s pretty much all downhill from here. Again, bounding down it but passed by a Half Lite guy who was really moving! Still, the parking lot at the bottom is in sight and now I’m on the final stretch where I see the finish. Not too much left but I make the effort and unconsciously throw up my arms that I actually did finish despite the bike problem. Yea!

Maybe practice just a bit more.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched a bit and walked things off. Grabbed food that was provided.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Broken chain, hills, not able to use tri bike.

Event comments:

I rate this as an Average because of the tough hills and the fact that I couldn't use my tri bike here. It really is a tough Sprint distance and really qualifies as a super Sprint. Think I'll do it again next year just so I can finish higher. After knowing my course times during my practice rides along with my swim and run times, I figure I would’ve come in 5th, possibly 4th in my AG if the bike had gone okay. It would’ve been close to 3rd too as there wasn’t much time between 3rd and 4th.

Last updated: 2008-09-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:31 | 793 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 48/171
Performance: Average
Suit: 2XU full Team
Course: Triangular
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:14
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
02:10:22 | 21.13 miles | 9.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/9
Overall: 169/171
Performance: Bad
Wind: None
Course: A loop with mostly rolling hills some steep and one major climb near the halfway point.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:40:55 | 04.91 miles | 08m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 28/171
Performance: Good
Course: An out and back with a major climb/descent both going out and coming back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes