XTerra
42F / 6C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 12m 19s
Overall Rank = 31/152
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/22
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6AM. Had pb on whole grain bread, with some water and OJ. An hour before, I ate a snickers marathon bar.

Stood in line for a less than 2 minutes to register and get schwag. Nice wicking shirt! At first, I thought it was going to be way too big, but it fit nice and snug after I tried it on. Also, some nice coupons/discounts thrown in there.

I was way overdressed for this run. I put on my DeSoto fleece running tights and arm warmers. I had to get rid of the arm warmers before the race started because it was just too much.

Event warmup:

Slowly jogged the trail head loop twice. Also stretched for a few mins. The weather was cold, but warmed up considerably once the sun popped over the trees.
Run
  • 1h 12m 19s
  • 8 miles
  • 09m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

The start of the run was in the parking lot, maybe about 1/3 mile before the trail head started. I seeded myself about 6 rows back (BIG MISTAKE), not realizing the trouble I'd have trying to pass ppl later.

When the RD signaled the GO, it was a mad dash to get to the cement trail that looped around a (retention) pond. At this point, already hard to get around ppl.

I ran kind of hard at this point, and got on the trail at a decent time. Once the trail started, though, you were running single file up a hilly segment. I would try and dart around ppl as best I could at this point. I would get right on runners, and the second I'd see any kind of opening, I'd run hard and jump in front of them. I hope I didn't piss anyone off!

Between the first and second mile is when I fell. I was very wary running on this rocky, wet, and rooty course. I took a 90 degree corner very well (grabbing onto a tree and swinging around), but hit a rocky patch right after and then, BAM! I landed on top of a bunch of rocks right off the trail. Rolled maybe a few more feet (downhill) and then got up. I was surprised how far I actually rolled. Knee, hands, and back (under left shoulder) got scraped up. The knee received the brunt of the hit (and ripped my new running tights, damnit!), but the adrenaline kept it from hurting. I got up and tried to get back on the trail ASAP. I had to cut through thorny brush (ouch!), but was back at it in no time. I don't think anyone passed me at that point.

There was one section were I was following a single file line of runners and we ended up on the wrong trail. How the heck did that happen? Maybe cost us 3-5 minutes. Had to run across the brush to meet up with the other runners. Running through deep, wet, brushy forest floor is tough!

There were a bunch of bridges and logs piled up high right in the middle of trails. They were fun at first, but after I started to get winded, they were more of a nuisance. At first, I would jump and sail over the logs, but then I started going around them when I could. There were several berms that were really fun to run up on (much like a race car).

The halfway point: I was SHOCKED when I asked for a split and another runner screamed 33 minutes. WHAT? 3.5 miles and I'm already 33 minutes in? What happened? I couldn't be running that slow. This trail run was kicking my arse. On that note, I am sad to admit that I actually ended up walking 3 times the next 3.5 miles. All of the walks were less than 20 seconds and going up steep hills, but darn it, I walked. I'd hit the start of a steep climb and my quads and lungs would be screaming. Was there something wrong with me? Why couldn't I run today? I run hilly routes back at home all the time. What the heck?

The last mile was probably the best I ran. I had a few ppl on my tail and I wasn't going to let them pass me. I picked it up and soon left all of them but one in the dust. At this point a couple of deer ran past me and I was mesmerized. Such grace, such speed...running UPHILL...like nothing...while I'm sucking wind. I hate you, Mr. Deer!!!!

The last half mile and I ran as hard as my legs would go. Later, Greg (the guy on my tail that I met after the run) told me that he was trying to keep up with me until that point, then he said I just "blasted off". I had to chuckle. That was a funny way of putting it.

I finished the run, asking for a time, but didn't get it. Met Mrs. tri_d00d (she ran the 3.5 mile) and then went to get a drink, banana, and two (yes, two) red bulls. I wan't too excited at this point, since she told me she was right at the 1 hour mark...and that I was maybe 15 minutes slower...Egad. My run must have been SLOW! It turns out she ran a little over 50 minutes for the 3.5 mile (since she ran half of the course I ran, it's probably closer to 4 miles, though).

Met Mike Martin (msquared_atl) and talked for maybe 10 mins. It was really nice to talk about the run with him. We had to go, though, as the grandma had things to do and we were a good 50 miles away.
What would you do differently?:

1- I would not start anywhere other than the front next time. Trying to pass on narrow trails is not easy. This is probably the most important advantage you can give yourself in a race where the trails are narrow. If you have to, run hard to the trail head.

2- I'd wear trail running shoes next time. My running shoes were NOT suitable for this type of run. I was slipping, sliding, and didn't have traction over most of the course.

3- Wear either running tights not made of fleece or shorts. I wasn't hot one singe time in them, but I didn't feel the mobility of shorts or some other stretchier material

4- Practice running trails!!! This being my first stand alone trail run, I was VERY wary about running. I was very worried I'd roll an ankle or fall down on that terrain. It was very rocky and a hard fall could probably be the end of running for a little while. Maybe run the trail once or twice before the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank gatorade, water, and red bull. Ate half a marathon bar while waiting for results to post. Got to meet and talk to Mike Martin (msquared_atl) for a little while.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not knowing the terrain, not wearing trail running shoes (or shoes that are sturdier), inexperience running on trails...

I also didn't drink any water during the entire run. I should have drank water at the halfway point and I should have used by GU. I think I would have benefited from the nutrition, as I was running (no pun intended) low on energy during mid point and middle to end of 5th mile.

Event comments:

The volunteers were great. They were out there encouraging us to keep running and stationed throughout the trail. Many thanks!

Schwag was pretty decent. I really like the shirt (and REI coupons). There's an offer to order some free sunglasses in there. I may try it out.

I will learn from this run and hopefully do better at my next race. Lots of little things that I picked up that will benefit future races.

The last point I want to touch on is that this race was 8 miles, not 7. A few runners using Garmins stated that the overall distance was over 8, not to mention that this seemed much longer than 7 miles to me. This trail was also very hard, especially if you're not a trail runner. Lots of hills (some very steep, some not as much) with roots, rocks, and obstacles (bridges, log piles) and very sharp turns.

Last updated: 2008-11-01 12:00 AM
Running
01:12:19 | 08 miles | 09m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/22
Overall: 31/152
Performance: Below average
Course: Course was a hilly, rocky, rooty, leafy MTB trail. There were also MTB obstacles throughout the course (bridges, log piles, berms) and some sharp turns. The trail was very narrow, except in a few places where it opened up. Most of the wider segments were not very long, though. Very tough to pass people without running off trail. There were a few places where you could open up the stride a bit. I liked the fact that the trail winded around and you had a good idea how far back other runners were. Course was 8 miles, not 7. The RD added a "parking lot" start to thin the herd a bit before it hit the trails. I'm glad he did that. I think there were 250-300 runners there. Trying to pass all those people on those trails would have sucked...
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-11-12 6:58 AM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: Xterra Battle at Big Creek

2008-11-12 1:23 PM
in reply to: #1803315

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: Xterra Battle at Big Creek

Great Race, Ron.  You had some pretty significant obstacles yet you still had a great time on a tough course, and 7/22 in this age group looks pretty good to me!  Thanks again to you and the Mrs. for hanging out afterward to wait for me and say hi. 

Later,

MM

2008-11-12 1:47 PM

Veteran
Good race!  You have a very good time considering the course. 
2008-11-12 2:05 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
Great job on the race. Trail running is such a different animal than a road race. I find myself significantly slower even without the crowds
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Xterra Battle at Big Creek Rss Feed