General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tell us about your worst "people think you're rude" during a race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-11-14 11:07 AM

Master
Subject: Tell us about your worst "people think you're rude" during a race

On the lines of the "swim over people" thread, it brought back memories of a few moments during racing where fellow racers have yelled at me for rude behavior when I really was trying not to cause any trouble at all.

What has been a moment during a race where a fellow racer has shouted out at your for your "rude" behavior, unintentional or intentional on your part?

Mine happened during a half marathon, which started with a tight roadway, so the front 2-300 people were all packed together literally like sardines with less than a foot between you and the people on all sides. It started opening up after about 0.5 miles, but I felt it was dangerous to immediately swing to the side so I continued my straight course, hoping for more room before doing so. The 50 something year old guy in front of me (who had cut in front of me about 30 seconds before) promptly turns around and yells "run your own damn race!" and his buddy on his right says "people like you make racing look bad." WTF?! In fact, I still had someone "drafting" me from behind at the same distance.

Fortunately, I picked up the pace as planned and dropped them both as soon as it opened up, but despite a big PR that day, I'm still annoyed at 1) how they treated me and 2) why I caused such hate unintentionally, because these guys were clearly veteran runners and it makes me really suspect that my seemingly innocent behavior may have been worse than it seemed.

Edited by agarose2000 2008-11-14 11:08 AM

2008-11-14 11:18 AM
in reply to: #1808638

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
Subject: RE: Tell us about your worst "people think you're rude" during a race
I think a calm but firm, "Hey Buddy, you cut in front of me," was in order.
2008-11-14 11:23 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
promptly turns around and yells "run your own damn race!" and his buddy on his right says "people like you make racing look bad."

Funny, IMHO I would say actions like that make racing look bad.
2008-11-14 11:37 AM
in reply to: #1808676

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I had this in my race report.  Maybe I over reacted...  Not sure.

I had a brief incident on the bike with a runner. There are jerks, even in triathlon. The run and the bike shared a portion of the same route, so I was flying into T2 (about a mile yet to go) and had to pass runners. They were the sprinters finishing up their race. This really was not a problem because they looked out for me and I looked out for them and I would tell them I was comming. However, a couple guys were chatting and running side-by-side about 3' apart and moving from left to right and were going to cut me off. I couldn't go to the right because there were other bikers/runners and couldn't go left into oncomming traffic. The whole time I was yelling "HEAD'S UP!!!! On the left!" - even another runner started to say "look out!" to these two guys for what they were doing. They were just off in la-la-land. So I had to brake and yelled "WHOA, WHOA, WHOA, COME ON GUYS!!!!" and zigged though them at the last possible second.

So, one of them yelled back mockingly "WHOA, WHOA, WHOA, the course is open to us too!".

I was thinking, "Yeah, but you HAVE to look over your shoulder if you are going to run into the middle of the bike lanes". If I would have hit one of them at 20mph because I wasn't sure what they were doing, we could have BOTH, been seriously hurt.

I hate it when someone else pulls off an A-hole move, and I say something and they think/call ME an A-hole! Am I out of line here? I know I need to look out for those in front of me when I pass, but come one, they have SOME responsibility to look before cutting right into the bike lane, no?

2008-11-14 11:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

I get annoyed when runners pass  in the shoot in a race where they collect the strip from the bottom of your number. I called a runner on it once when I was standing in line in the shoot. The girl elbowed me and said leave me alone!! Ha! Neither of us were winning.

The worse thing I've ever done is yell out "roadkill!" to my van mates at RTB the first time I passed someone in the race. The girl said "hey that's not very nice." I apologized and said "sorry its the first roadkill Ive had." I felt so bad I slowed down and let her repass me at the end of my leg.

2008-11-14 11:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Aikidoman - 2008-11-14 11:37 AM

I hate it when someone else pulls off an A-hole move, and I say something and they think/call ME an A-hole! Am I out of line here? I know I need to look out for those in front of me when I pass, but come one, they have SOME responsibility to look before cutting right into the bike lane, no?

You were right, they were wrong and you should be as rude as possible to them as a deterrent against them doing more stupid stuff in the future.  If everyone yells at them they might get the idea that they are being stupid.

2008-11-14 11:57 AM

User image

Champion
MA

I don't recall being yelled at but I have done my fair share of yelling at others. I'm a slow swimmer and relatively fast biker so in sprints I often pass lots and lots of folks.

Often newbies don't follow the rules of riding on the right and passing properly and moving back over to the right. They end up blocking and sometimes there are 3-4 people riding side by side and I'm not going over the yellow line.

I will yell you need to move right or something along those lines.

I recall this one race where each up hill they would pass me, and each down hill I could pass them but they blocked me in so there was no room for me to pass safely. 

I get extremely frustrted when folks don't follow the rules riding and their breaking the rules hurts my race.  I guess I need to become a faster swimmer.

2008-11-14 12:05 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

One of the things that turned me off of ever going in another estrogen fest race - at SheRox PA, I yelled on your left - (like Kathy I am a slow swimmer but fast biker) and yelled it again, and then something a little more like you are blocking -

at the turn she got all snarky with me....

2008-11-14 12:10 PM
in reply to: #1808746

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
trirific10 - 2008-11-14 12:53 PM

I get annoyed when runners pass  in the shoot in a race where they collect the strip from the bottom of your number. I called a runner on it once when I was standing in line in the shoot. The girl elbowed me and said leave me alone!! Ha! Neither of us were winning.

The worse thing I've ever done is yell out "roadkill!" to my van mates at RTB the first time I passed someone in the race. The girl said "hey that's not very nice." I apologized and said "sorry its the first roadkill Ive had." I felt so bad I slowed down and let her repass me at the end of my leg.

I worry that I'm offending people when I pass in the finishing chute, but I'm really not trying to pass, I'm just running my race as fast as I can. After the half way point in the 5K of a sprint I am redlining the whole way.

In this case it sounds like you are talking about after the finish line, I don't do that.

2008-11-14 12:22 PM
in reply to: #1808770

User image

Veteran
TriToy - 2008-11-14 12:05 PM

One of the things that turned me off of ever going in another estrogen fest race - at SheRox PA, I yelled on your left - (like Kathy I am a slow swimmer but fast biker) and yelled it again, and then something a little more like you are blocking -

I noticed that alot of people at that race didn't have much road ettiquette. Some people would get offended if you passed them. Sorry? It's a RACE.

K.
2008-11-14 12:33 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
The end of a road race is the finish line, or the mats. Shoots that start prior to the finish line are fair game for passing, shoots that start after the finish line, to collect tags and such, are not. Anyone that passes me after the finish line in the shoots with no electronic timing, get's moved behind me immediately. They usually don't say anything other than a look as if they didn't really know that what they were doing was wrong.

2008-11-14 12:58 PM
in reply to: #1808832

User image

Master
syracuse

atl_runner - 2008-11-14 12:33 PM The end of a road race is the finish line, or the mats. Shoots that start prior to the finish line are fair game for passing, shoots that start after the finish line, to collect tags and such, are not. Anyone that passes me after the finish line in the shoots with no electronic timing, get's moved behind me immediately. They usually don't say anything other than a look as if they didn't really know that what they were doing was wrong.

forgive me if I should know this,   whats the problem with passing people once the race is over?  At the end of NYC Marathon, it was like the walk of the living dead.  I passed several people to get out of Central Park as I need an ice bath, BAD.  Sould I have just walked at the current pace, not passing anyone?   I do not pass people to get my chiped clip off, or anything like that....just curious

2008-11-14 1:02 PM
in reply to: #1808910

User image

Sensei
Sin City
cusetri - 2008-11-14 10:58 AM

atl_runner - 2008-11-14 12:33 PM The end of a road race is the finish line, or the mats. Shoots that start prior to the finish line are fair game for passing, shoots that start after the finish line, to collect tags and such, are not. Anyone that passes me after the finish line in the shoots with no electronic timing, get's moved behind me immediately. They usually don't say anything other than a look as if they didn't really know that what they were doing was wrong.

forgive me if I should know this,   whats the problem with passing people once the race is over?  At the end of NYC Marathon, it was like the walk of the living dead.  I passed several people to get out of Central Park as I need an ice bath, BAD.  Sould I have just walked at the current pace, not passing anyone?   I do not pass people to get my chiped clip off, or anything like that....just curious

If it's chip timing, it doesn't matter.  But if it's NOT chip timing, as they mentioned, then they would get your time and you get theirs (in some cases) OR, they will move up a spot when you were ahead of them.  That's what they are talking about.

Other than getting the finish times in order, you can sprint to the massage tent, food tent, whatever as far as I care...

2008-11-14 1:05 PM
in reply to: #1808810

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Kimmyt - 2008-11-14 1:22 PM
TriToy - 2008-11-14 12:05 PM

I noticed that alot of people at that race didn't have much road ettiquette. Some people would get offended if you passed them. Sorry? It's a RACE. K.

that was it!!! like all offended!!!

the run had a better feel but the bike just annoyed me....

2008-11-14 1:09 PM
in reply to: #1808832

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

It was a shoot after the finish line; there were about 10 people standing in it waiting to have their numbers collected. The few people behind me said nothing as she was pushing people aside to get to hand off her strip. Im a middle of the packer  but etiquette is etiquette and if you are going to elbow past people, I'm saying something regardless of whether it makes a  huge difference. 

2008-11-14 1:09 PM
in reply to: #1808747

User image

Regular
The Land of Misfit Toys
protoplasm72 - 2008-11-14 11:54 AM

You were right, they were wrong and you should be as rude as possible to them as a deterrent against them doing more stupid stuff in the future.  If everyone yells at them they might get the idea that they are being stupid.

You're joking, right?

2008-11-14 1:22 PM
in reply to: #1808926

User image

Master
syracuse
Aikidoman - 2008-11-14 1:02 PM
cusetri - 2008-11-14 10:58 AM

If it's chip timing, it doesn't matter.  But if it's NOT chip timing, as they mentioned, then they would get your time and you get theirs (in some cases) OR, they will move up a spot when you were ahead of them.  That's what they are talking about.

Other than getting the finish times in order, you can sprint to the massage tent, food tent, whatever as far as I care...

OHHHH....thank Goodenss.  Yeah, that makes sense.   I dont think I could tolerate that, for one second.  however, the offenders probably have no clue what they'er doing

2008-11-14 1:28 PM

User image

Master
syracuse

One time, I was going up an incline.  I'm pretty strong on the hills, but I couldnt get past this guy, so I called on "On your left" several times.   He didnt move, so I shoved him out of the way.  He got an attitude, so I said, "Rubin is Racin."  just kidding...haha.

2008-11-14 2:47 PM
in reply to: #1808947

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Agur - 2008-11-14 1:09 PM
protoplasm72 - 2008-11-14 11:54 AM

You were right, they were wrong and you should be as rude as possible to them as a deterrent against them doing more stupid stuff in the future. If everyone yells at them they might get the idea that they are being stupid.

You're joking, right?

In this case no. They are ignorant of the rules, creating a dangerous situation for everyone, and on top of that are being jerks about it.

I've been kicked, spit on, cut off, elbowed, cups of water thrown at me, you name it... but I brushed all that off with a smile and sometimes a joke cause it's part of racing. If someone steps in front of me when I'm going 20mph that is unacceptable and risking real injury. They deserve to be DQ'ed, I'm not going to be nice to them.

Edited by protoplasm72 2008-11-14 2:48 PM
2008-11-14 3:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westlake, OH

confession time....

Comming into T2, the sprint was finishing up and I'm running with my bike on the rack.  There is a teen(early 20s maybe) kid with his mom standing and talking right by my rack.  I start yelling to move from about 20 yards away.  The don't move.  They finally hear me but instead of moving away from my rack, they move right where I'm to put my bike!!! yikes.  I finally have to stop and wait for them to move until i could rack my bike.  I was so POed that I slammed my bike onto the rack.  The worse part was that the leg of the rack fell off when i did this.  I must have lifted the rack top bar and it feel off the triangle.  I then let out a JC or maybe an F-bomb.  I can't remember, I was pretty hot.   The whole 10K i felt bad how I handled the whole situation....

Awww I feel better now

2008-11-14 3:15 PM

User image

Regular

At the Wilmington, NC sprint this year two racers were sauntering across the T2 entrance just as I had dismounted my bike and begun running it in.  It had been a tough bike split and my adrenaline was pumping, so I began shouting "'EXCUSE ME EXCUSE ME -- MOVE!!!"

Happily, they apologised and probably only cost me a few seconds.  Still, why do people hang out on the course during the race?  I was racing as a novice, so I sorta got the idea that people thought the race was over and only n00bs and the "for fun" crowd were left on the course.

2008-11-14 3:52 PM

User image

Expert
St. Louis

You guys should all see poeple who don't even know when a high school XC race is gonig on and don't realize there walking on a big fat white line.

I also hate the people who can't hold their line gonig up a hill.  I was slow in the swim so I got on bike and basically killed most of the people on the bike.  Some short steep hills and people were swerving all over the place.  IT was hard to pass.  Iw as like 100th out of the swim and 33rd out of the bike.

2008-11-14 3:56 PM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
The one time where I think I was a .. was in a 300m pool swim race.

Somehow instead of starting with the estimated time of 4:50 I got started with the time of 7:00. I passed/swam over 3 people before I figured I was being too much of a , and just sat on the guys heels infront of my for the last 100.

Oh yea! At Captext this year on the bike I got cursed at. I came up on some people ruding side by side leaving me no room to pass on the left. I said on your left and there was no movement or sign of them going to move. So I raised my voice and repeated my self, same thing. So this time I yelled, but still they wouldn't move. Then I yelled once more and put a little bit of attitude behind it and the lady actually turned around and said.. LAY OFF MY F****** A**. She did end up moving over though, I probably mumbled something as I passed her, but I don't remember.

Edited by smilford 2008-11-14 4:00 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tell us about your worst "people think you're rude" during a race Rss Feed