Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Statin drugs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-11-14 3:45 PM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
Subject: Statin drugs
Anyone on any form of statin drugs?  Any side effects?  Any problems in daily life or training while using them?  Pros/cons?

2008-11-14 4:53 PM
in reply to: #1809386

User image

Pro
Irvine, California
Subject: RE: Statin drugs

Brock Samson - 2008-11-14 1:45 PM Anyone on any form of statin drugs?  Any side effects?  Any problems in daily life or training while using them?  Pros/cons?

I take lovastatin, to keep my cholesterol in check.  Took my numbers from mid 200's down to low 100's.  No side effects that I've noticed whatsoever.

2008-11-14 5:28 PM
in reply to: #1809507

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Tripolar - 2008-11-14 3:53 PM

I take lovastatin

x2 on Lovastatin (10mg).  No side effects right now, but I did fell a bit fatigued when I first started it.

2008-11-14 6:07 PM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
Thanks for the info.
2008-11-14 7:45 PM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
I take 20mg Lipitor and have dropped from 260 to 140. No issues w/ muscle fatigue, elevated liver enzymes or the like. Everyone can vary though and your doc needs to be cautious when you start.

PS: I work at the Lipitor factory, so buy LOTS of it!!!
2008-11-14 7:46 PM

User image

Expert
Westchester, NY

Doc put me on a low dose (10 mg) of simvastatin after trying everything else to get my cholesterol under control.  I'm one of the lucky ones who just got it via genetics.  ;-)

Levels are down and have not had any side effects at all.

Edited by Fatdoggy 2008-11-14 7:47 PM

2008-11-15 10:29 AM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington

Simvastatin,  my cholesterol levels went down.   No side effects that I can detect.   Although a co worker was telling me once about how he got side effects and quit.

I think I'm in the got in my genes problem, since I really watch the cholesterol intake in foods...

2008-11-15 7:18 PM
in reply to: #1810063

User image

Expert
Westchester, NY
BellinghamSpence - 2008-11-15 11:29 AM

Simvastatin,  my cholesterol levels went down.   No side effects that I can detect.   Although a co worker was telling me once about how he got side effects and quit.

I think I'm in the got in my genes problem, since I really watch the cholesterol intake in foods...

Wondering if the rest of those who are on statins were told by their docs to take at night before bed?  The only thing I noticed at first when I started on mine was about 15-30 minutes after taking I felt a kind of warm, flush feeling.  Not bad, in fact it felt kinda nice.  That faded after a few weeks on the meds.

2008-11-15 7:47 PM

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
I was on Lipitor and it gave me really bad acid reflux. It was awful. I went on to Pravastatin without issues.

2008-11-16 9:39 AM
in reply to: #1810500

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Fatdoggy - 2008-11-15 5:18 PM

Wondering if the rest of those who are on statins were told by their docs to take at night before bed?  The only thing I noticed at first when I started on mine was about 15-30 minutes after taking I felt a kind of warm, flush feeling.  Not bad, in fact it felt kinda nice.  That faded after a few weeks on the meds.

I take it first thing in the morning.  Never felt any flush feeling.      Wife made an interesting comment awhile back,  since the medication worked and the numbers are lower,  why do you need to keep taking them?

Doctor also said that if I took Fish oil capsules, Omega 3 supplment that that would also help lower  Cloreshterol (?)?

2008-11-16 10:43 AM
in reply to: #1810892

User image

Expert
Westchester, NY
BellinghamSpence - 2008-11-16 10:39 AM
Fatdoggy - 2008-11-15 5:18 PM

I take it first thing in the morning.  Never felt any flush feeling.      Wife made an interesting comment awhile back,  since the medication worked and the numbers are lower,  why do you need to keep taking them?

Doctor also said that if I took Fish oil capsules, Omega 3 supplment that that would also help lower  Cloreshterol (?)?

I'd been taking flax, fish oil etc. etc. and nothing got my levels down.  My doc did not rush to put me on meds.  Again, I think it is just hereditary in some people.

2008-11-16 11:35 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by AcesFull 2008-11-16 11:36 AM
2008-11-16 4:09 PM

Extreme Veteran
Colo Springs, CO

My hubby was put on statins after his heart attack.  They got the cholesterol levels down but he had bad side effects (muscle aches/weakness and anxiety) so he had to go off of them.  He had been on Lipitor, Crestor, Pravastatin (Pravacor? can't remember) and one other that I can't remember (not all at once, they just kept trying different ones.) He is now on niacin, omega-3 fish oils, and a mostly vegan diet (I give him some fish to help get protein.)  He's only been on the vegan diet for 2-3 weeks, so no idea if it's working on the cholesterol, but as soon as he went off the statins he dropped 20 lbs without even trying. Plus his strength in cycling (his sport of choice) went way up.  Also, when we started researching statins because of his side effects, we found out that there are a lot of people that experience memory problems/forgetfulness while on statins. But most people don't associate it with the drug.  There are several books out there on the subject, basically they say that if you must take statins, really try to take the LOWEST dose possible.

He's due to go back for more blood work soon, so I'll let you know if the vegan diet is working.

Edited by lodewey 2008-11-16 4:10 PM
2008-11-16 5:33 PM

Elite
Denver, Colorado
My doctor put me on Lipitor. I stopped after the first refill. I had muscle aches, but that also may have been due to a cold virus that was going around, so I'm not sure.

Here's the thing: high cholesterol does not cause heart disease. It's more complicated than that. People with normal cholesterol levels can get heart disease too. Cholesterol, despite being demonized as bad for the heart, is an essential substance needed for proper brain function and hormone levels. I've basically stopped taking Lipitor against medical advice.
2008-11-16 6:16 PM
in reply to: #1811281

Champion

MikeTheBear - 2008-11-16 5:33 PM My doctor put me on Lipitor. I stopped after the first refill. I had muscle aches, but that also may have been due to a cold virus that was going around, so I'm not sure. Here's the thing: high cholesterol does not cause heart disease. It's more complicated than that. People with normal cholesterol levels can get heart disease too. Cholesterol, despite being demonized as bad for the heart, is an essential substance needed for proper brain function and hormone levels. I've basically stopped taking Lipitor against medical advice.

While you may be correct (and I do believe that you are, at least partially), there is substantial correlational evidence between the two.

My personal belief is that most atherosclerotic disease is inflammatory.  Inflammation in the presence of high blood lipid levels means deposition of those lipids to form plaques and blockages.  I think cholesterol isn't THE cause, but it's part of the process.

2008-11-16 8:20 PM

Extreme Veteran
Colo Springs, CO
DerekL -- I think you are right about the inflammation. I have a book called "The Inflammation Cure" by Dr. William Joel Meggs that is very interesting. It basically says that inflammation is the root of many diseases, and that diet and environmental influences can be controlled to reduce inflammation.

2008-11-16 8:21 PM
in reply to: #1811181

Expert
Westchester, NY
lodewey - 2008-11-16 5:09 PM

My hubby was put on statins after his heart attack.  They got the cholesterol levels down but he had bad side effects (muscle aches/weakness and anxiety) so he had to go off of them.  He had been on Lipitor, Crestor, Pravastatin (Pravacor? can't remember) and one other that I can't remember (not all at once, they just kept trying different ones.) He is now on niacin, omega-3 fish oils, and a mostly vegan diet (I give him some fish to help get protein.)  He's only been on the vegan diet for 2-3 weeks, so no idea if it's working on the cholesterol, but as soon as he went off the statins he dropped 20 lbs without even trying. Plus his strength in cycling (his sport of choice) went way up.  Also, when we started researching statins because of his side effects, we found out that there are a lot of people that experience memory problems/forgetfulness while on statins. But most people don't associate it with the drug.  There are several books out there on the subject, basically they say that if you must take statins, really try to take the LOWEST dose possible.

He's due to go back for more blood work soon, so I'll let you know if the vegan diet is working.

Yes, there have been cases where there were bad side effects, such as memory loss, but I think saying that this has happened "alot" is over stating it.  There have also been some recent breakthroughs which allow doctors to tell those who are genetically pre-disposed to these types of side effects which are caused by certain kinds of statins, but not all.  At least that ismy understanding.  With that knowledge hopefully doctors can get those who could benefit from statins on the right type of the drug whilke avoiding the side effects.

2008-11-16 8:23 PM
in reply to: #1811581

Expert
Westchester, NY

lodewey - 2008-11-16 9:20 PM DerekL -- I think you are right about the inflammation. I have a book called "The Inflammation Cure" by Dr. William Joel Meggs that is very interesting. It basically says that inflammation is the root of many diseases, and that diet and environmental influences can be controlled to reduce inflammation.

They usually, but not always, go hand in hand.  I've asked my doctor to get my CRP (c reactive protein) levels checked when he sends out my blood work.  They do not always do this unless you ask.  It is an indicator of inflammation.  IMO, bottom line, get it checked when you're getting your other levels checked.

2008-11-16 10:55 PM
in reply to: #1811328

Elite
Denver, Colorado
DerekL - 2008-11-16 6:16 PM

MikeTheBear - 2008-11-16 5:33 PM My doctor put me on Lipitor. I stopped after the first refill. I had muscle aches, but that also may have been due to a cold virus that was going around, so I'm not sure. Here's the thing: high cholesterol does not cause heart disease. It's more complicated than that. People with normal cholesterol levels can get heart disease too. Cholesterol, despite being demonized as bad for the heart, is an essential substance needed for proper brain function and hormone levels. I've basically stopped taking Lipitor against medical advice.

While you may be correct (and I do believe that you are, at least partially), there is substantial correlational evidence between the two.

My personal belief is that most atherosclerotic disease is inflammatory.  Inflammation in the presence of high blood lipid levels means deposition of those lipids to form plaques and blockages.  I think cholesterol isn't THE cause, but it's part of the process.

I agree, and I also agree that cholesterol levels should not be ignored entirely. I did have my C-reactice protein checked as part of a life insurance screening and it came back on the level side, so I have low levels of inflammation. My triglycerides are also low. This is why I'm not too ied about my cholesterol levels.

There's also the whole issue of the size of the LDL molecule. Current tests don't account for size, and bigger molecules register as a higher level of LDL. So, take two people with an equal number of LDL molecules in their blood, the person with the bigger LDL molecules will register a higher LDL level while the person with the smaller LDL molecules will register a lower LDL level. Here's the kicker: smaller LDL molecules are more dangerous than bigger LDL molecules. The smaller molecules embed themselves into arterial walls more easily and oxidize faster than the bigger molecules.

I'm not trying to bad mouth doctors here or promote some sort of conspiracy theory that big pharma is out there withholding information to get everyone to buy statins. I just think there are some real questions concerning the cholesterol-heart disease link that need to be answered.
2008-11-25 10:32 PM

I also had a bad reaction with statins. As a matter of fact, I got some of the best advise on this blog/forum a year ago. Subject titled "lower my cholesterol" ...in a nut shell, I lowered by cholesterol from 278 to 190 in six weeks by going veggie monday - friday essentially minimizing animal protein consumption.
2008-11-26 9:19 AM
in reply to: #1826796

Expert
Westchester, NY

justmax - 2008-11-25 11:32 PM I also had a bad reaction with statins. As a matter of fact, I got some of the best advise on this blog/forum a year ago. Subject titled "lower my cholesterol" ...in a nut shell, I lowered by cholesterol from 278 to 190 in six weeks by going veggie monday - friday essentially minimizing animal protein consumption.

IMO, and I'd hope most decent doctors would agree, statins should be a last resort.  Always try diet/exercise first.  But as mentioned in many cases it is just hereditary and no amount of dieting or exercise will make a big enough dent.

2008-11-26 9:26 AM

Extreme Veteran

Interesting podcast on this very topic I highly recommend...

http://fitnessrocks.org/2008/11/16/big-money-bad-science-whats-the-best-way-to-prevent-heart-disease/

2008-11-26 5:48 PM

Master
Riverside, IL
Just curious about something...my cholesterol has been slowly rising every year, despite healthy eating habits and daily exercise. I believe I fall into that exclusive "it's hereditary" club. Now, mind you...it's not horrible yet (my last fasting test showed 204), but it does have me a bit concerned that it keeps going up about 10-12 points each year. My doctor doesn't seem at all concerned with my current number, as he never even mentioned it when the results came back. My triglycerides, HDL, LDL, and ratio were all within normal range...it was only my total cholesterol that was slightly out of whack. If this pattern keeps at it's current pace, when should I expect to be put on statins to get it under control? Is there a certain number that doctors generally use to determine when or if statins should be considered?
2008-11-26 8:43 PM
in reply to: #1828044

Elite
Denver, Colorado
nscrbug - 2008-11-26 5:48 PM

Just curious about something...my cholesterol has been slowly rising every year, despite healthy eating habits and daily exercise. I believe I fall into that exclusive "it's hereditary" club. Now, mind you...it's not horrible yet (my last fasting test showed 204), but it does have me a bit concerned that it keeps going up about 10-12 points each year. My doctor doesn't seem at all concerned with my current number, as he never even mentioned it when the results came back. My triglycerides, HDL, LDL, and ratio were all within normal range...it was only my total cholesterol that was slightly out of whack. If this pattern keeps at it's current pace, when should I expect to be put on statins to get it under control? Is there a certain number that doctors generally use to determine when or if statins should be considered?

At one extreme, I have a friend who has normal cholesterol and no other risk factors who voluntarily started taking a low dose of Lipitor, after discussing it with his doctor who recommended it, just to prevent any arterial plaque formation.

At the other extreme is this group of scientist, who feel that cholesterol levels and heart disease are largely irrelevant. http://www.thincs.org/Sure, some think they're crackpots, but one thing that mainstream science agrees with is that cholesterol doesn't cause heart disease. Heart disease is more complicated than that. And the THINCs group is not about eat, drink, and be merry. They strongly recommend exercise and quitting smoking. At best, they feel that cholesterol is a risk factor, but in the absence of other risk factors, is it really a risk factor? The founder of THINCs, Uffe Ravnskov, has a total cholesterol of 280 (he disclosed this in his book) and is not worried about it.

As for myself, my total cholesterol is 260, with an LDL of 185, last time it was checked. My doctor put me on statins but I don't take them. By all accounts I should be dead, right? I'm not worried. Why? Because my C-reactive protein level, which my doctor did not test for but was a test required for my life insurance applicaiton, is low. C-reactive protein is a marker of inflammation and even the mainstream medical community is beginning to realize that it may be at least as important as cholesterol in predicting heart disease. Cholesterol skeptics feel it is even more important than cholesterol. My glucose and triglycerides levels were also low. High glucose are quite inflammatory to the body.

I predict that 20 years from now they way we look at and treat heart disease will be completely different from today's focus on cholesterol. It may take 30 years, depending on when the various patents run out.

In short, get your C-reactive protein levels checked. If my CRP levels had been high, I would still be taking Lipitor. Why? Because statins also have a "side effect" of reducing inflammation. This is why they work. The studies that show that statins reduce heart disease are not lying - they do. However, the mechanism by which this is done is reducing inflammation, not cholesterol. At least that's what the skeptics think. I'm a skeptic. My wife, on the other hand, makes sure that my life insurance premiums are paid. That's okay. I realize that one person's skeptic is another person's crackpot. I don't mind being considered a crackpot.
2008-11-26 9:54 PM

Elite
Denver, Colorado
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Statin drugs Rss Feed  

of 2