United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 9h 56m 39s
Overall Rank = 127/2200
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 17/211
Pre-race routine:

up at 3:30 for quick shower, b-fast (3 buckwheat waffles with peanut butter, banana, flaxseed, sliced almonds, honey and granola w/ cup off coffee), did some minor stretching and hit the can before leaving for the race.
Event warmup:

arrived about 5:15, dropped off some xtra items in my transition bags, then dropped my special needs bags and got body marked, and lastly i prepped my bike. after done still had about 30min so amber and i sat down for a few mins where we ran into Paul Terranova from austin. Talked to paul for a few mins and then threw on the wetsuit and ate a gel. on a side note Paul finished 4th in our AG and earned a kona slot with a 9:28 finish.
Swim
  • 1h 00m
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

started the swim in the front row and avoided alot of chaos but still had to fight some to hold my ground. the think about these big time races is the swim field is a battle thru out and you always seem to have people envading your space. after a good start i realized i was far to the right and had problems moving to the left to get an inside track to the turnaround and catch a good pack to draft on. instead i swam mostly in open water and had to expend more energy than i needed to. hit the turnaround at 26:42 on my watch and thought i was flying. on the way back i continued to swim on the outside of the main paceline to my left and again it cost me time. just couldnt seem to get myself to the left. once i neared the mill ave bridge near the end of the swim my left calf started to lock up so i slowed to work it out by flexing my foot. well that didnt work and i had to stop to work it out. at this time it was about 47min into the swim now i am treading water while people swam over me. after about 30-45secs i was able to resume swimming but it was much more conservative pace b/c i tried not to kick what so ever to avoid any further cramping. once i hit the stairs it was 59:30 on my watch and it took another 30secs to get out of the water and cross the timing mat. my swim goal was 57-58min.
What would you do differently?:

i feel i should have definitely forced myself to the inside track quicker to get a better draft. as for the drafting, i just cant seem to avoid these calve and hammy issues on long swims. between the poor lines and the cramps i think it cost me a good 2-3mins.
Transition 1
  • 07m 40s
Comments:

used the wetsuit strippers to get my suit off and while i was on the ground my other calf completely locked up. it hurt so bad the strippers had to help me back to my feet and then i hobbled to the changing tent with ice cold feet. once in the tent i took my time to change into cycling shorts and arm warmers and i was then on my way.

not much. when you are prepping for a 5+ hr bike ride you really need to make sure you got your stuff in order before you head out.
Bike
  • 5h 15m 10s
  • 112 miles
  • 21.32 mile/hr
Comments:

overall bike leg went really well and i slightly increased my pace each lap while holding a 21+ mph avg thru out. the plan was to take the first hour ez and then start to build on my effort the last 4+ hrs. the bike got off to an easy start and i just stayed in the small ring all the way to the top of the beeline which was a little over the first 50mins. once i started to descend back to town on the first loop it was go time. i dont ever use any type of computer on my bike so everything is feel but it felt like i was flying! i wasnt pushing too hard but there was definitely some effort going on. i must say that my softride and a disc wheel make a wonderful team. i was blowing by several cevelos pumping the same as me down the hill. after the first loop i heard amber yelling for me as i headed back out which felt good. once back out on the beeline to climb again i could no longer hold a pee which caused me to lose some ground on the guys i was pacing with. i had hoped to reach the top of the bee line so i could pee going downhill but i just could wait any longer. this little lull on the bike cost me a min or two but damn it felt good. once that was done it was time to focus and get up the hill. before i reached the top i was swallowed by i huge pack of riders (15 or so) drafting each other. i tried to work around them to get back ahead but they were too strong. soon a marshall showed up and hit at least 3 guys with penalties which felt good. once i made the turn i spotted even 2 bigger packs coming up the hill that disgusted me. on a side note i truly hate drafters and when i get caught in that mess i tend to burn up my legs trying to fight to stay off the front. its not smart on my part to do it but i just cant sit in the middle of that crap and feel good about myself. with that said i flew back down the hill to town, i managed to yell one nasty comment at a large pack, and i made a pit stop at the special needs. once back in town i got another energy boost for amber yelling and then i was off for my last loop. nutrition and hydration was going well so was really feeling strong deep into the bike. once out near the beeline i needed to pee again so with that i took care of business a second time on the bike. once i started to climb the beeline for the last time i was passed by an older guy with another person in tow. i say in tow b/c this guy was sucking wheel really bad and even after a marshall warned this guy 2 different times he continued to draft like a champ. wasnt sure why he never got a penalty but oh well. once i hit the turnaround for the last time i was ready to fly but that was a little tougher the 3rd time b/c the wind had changed and it was now in our face going back to town. however i proceeded to grind it out and keep my pace to finish the bike. bike goal was 5:15 to 5:20.

not much. maybe plan my pees on the bike better so i am going when i have a downhill so i dont lose so much momentum. very pleased with bike split. nutrition was great with me taking in close to 2k in cals with lots of water and salt. i did a great job of staying aero almost the entire race. was really surprised to see i lost so many spots in my AG on the bike with a 5:15 split.
Transition 2
  • 04m 35s
Comments:

stopped to hit porta pottie before changing tent and lost 1-2min going pee. changed into run shorts and loaded up all run gear and sunblock before heading out.

get that last pee out on the bike to save time.
Run
  • 3h 29m 16s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

run started off well with a nice pace once my legs felt normal. however, after a few miles i could tell i was going to have some issues with my infinit run formula going down the hatch. once i tried my first sip it was like my stomach said "i dont think so!" with that i worked down so ice and water at aid stations before trying the run drink again. after 4miles i learned from amber i was 34th after the bike so it was going to take a monster to run to make up some spots for kona. i hadnt lost hope but i was pretty sure i was going to crack top 10. still no luck and i was now 6 miles in and starting to slow b/c i needed cals. my HR was fine and even though my legs were slow i was still able to turn them over. after another 2 miles of minimal cal intake i said "F" this stuff and tossed all my drink bottles in the trash. it was now time for plan B which was take what you can get at the aid stations. by mile 10 it was time to rely on coke. by this time i was really starting to slow b/c i was behind on cals so it was coke at every station with ice and sometimes water. it took another 5 miles for stomach to adjust from feeling bloated and on the verge of puking to being able to run a steady pace again w/o an upset stomach. by this time i was also walking each aid station to make sure i got the coke down and to cool off with sponges. before the last lap amber had told me i was now in the 20s in my AG so i knew for sure i wasnt getting top 10 in my AG. i then did some quick math to see what kind of finish i was looking at and made the decision to get under 10 hrs no matter what. i was now on my last lap and i started to put the legs in motion. the stomach was back to normal and i the legs were so sore but my stride was still fully intact. i really started to hammer at this point and i was flying past people. i would still walk the aid stations to get ice and coke down but between them it was full on running. i know for a fact i was moving b/c guys would try to latch on to me and then get dropped. i also heard several comments from spectators about my stride that made me feel really good. as i crossed the last bridge to head towards the finish i skipped the last 2 aid stations to make sure i hit sub 10. as i came to the last 200m both my hammys really tightened up and i was in lots of pain. at this point i was snaked my another guy in my AG. i tried to hang on to him but it was too painful so i shorten the stride and just focused on the finish chute. it felt so good to hear the crowd go nuts and see the clock under 10. as i finished i was so estatic with my effort. i was also in lots of pain from cramping so i proceeded to stand still for 10mins until i felt good enough to walk. goal was 3:15 to 3:20.

i should have made the switch to coke after a few miles b/c i knew immediately the infinit wasnt going to work. i feel the delayed adjustment put me in a hole that took almost 6-7 miles to get out of. i also think i took too long in the aid stations b/c i would stop at the beginning to get sponges and then walk all the way to the end where to ice and coke were. i should have run to the ice and coke and then got going again quickly. next time i will run sub 3:15!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

took in lots of fluids and some pizza. sat for awhile and then hobbled to get my stuff and head home. stopped at fuddruckers on the way home for a burger and fries!!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

craps on the swim and delayed decision making on the run to adjust my nutrition.

Event comments:

once again IM puts on a good race. lots of support which is the most important thing in my book. this was my 2nd IM and both have been IMAZ. i think its time to find a new destination in 2010. i like AZ but with everything that goes into the race prep and race week i want to experience a different location.

Last updated: 2008-01-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:00:00 | 4224 yards | 01m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 19/211
Overall: 207/2200
Performance: Average
avg HR 144
Suit: xterra VP2
Course: single loop in tempe town lake. think we had a current helping us on the way out.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:40
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
05:15:10 | 112 miles | 21.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 37/211
Overall: 227/2200
Performance: Good
avg HR 138
Wind: Some
Course: 3 loop course with some winds that varied at times probably up to 10mph. mainly flat with a long steady climb on each loop up the beeline hwy and then a fast downhill back to town.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:35
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
03:29:16 | 26.2 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/211
Overall: 89/2200
Performance: Good
avg HR 134
Course: 3 loops with some rolling hills
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-11-26 9:10 AM

User image

Regular
austin/tx
Subject: Ironman Arizona

2008-11-26 10:47 AM
in reply to: #1827249

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona

You are a top-notch competitor and triathlete! Awesome and fast job out there!! Best wishes in '09 as you prep for a taking down an IM in '10!! A destination race sounds perfect! Congrats...I know you wanted faster, but you still gave it all you had and are one heck of a triathlete!

2008-11-26 11:48 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
That is a solid effort Todd!  Good to meet you.  I would be happy with that time any day!  Well done.
2008-11-26 12:43 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
That was one incredible effort out there!  Congratulations on a great race!
2008-11-26 3:03 PM

User image

Expert
Todde,

You totally rocked. You did the training and executed on this day. Sub 10 on your 2nd IM, you will reach your goal for sure. I've moved from Austin but when in town will need to hook up for some training, oh and 2010 i'm in for a destination race.... of course you will be waiting for me at the finish. Really nice job out there, you proved to yourself you can adjust when needed and dig deep when needed.

2008-11-26 7:59 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Congrats on your finish.

The really good athletes make adjustments to get it done (be fast) no matter what race day gives them. That's just what you did on the biggest race day of the year: Get it done - fast!

You're in the prime AGs with great athletes and you're one of them.

Continued fast races in the future.

2008-11-27 9:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Leander, Texas
Todde,

Champion effort out there. One of these days, I'll get some running tips from you. I don't know how you guys do those sub 3:30 marathons after a 5:15 bike split. Just unbelievable. I guess you age up next year, which makes me glad I've only got one more year of 35-59! Awesome job. You'll have that Kona slot soon, I know it.
2008-11-27 8:38 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Not sure if you've received the email notification yet, but it's going to be bad news...

The tribal council met last night and you were voted off the BT Island.

Yep,,, anyone who posts a sub-10 IM is NOT a beginner triathlete has to move on to the Advanced Triathlete (AT) site.

Sorry dude, it was fun.
2008-11-28 11:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Great race report!!! You had one hell of a race out there!! Way to adpat and overcome on the nutrition. Congrats on the sub 10 performance!!!! That is awesome. Now its time to kick back and enjoy some r and r.
2008-11-29 10:04 PM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
great fkn race! Nice meeting you!
2008-12-09 8:20 AM

User image

Expert
took another look at your race report todde, very impressive. way to overcome your issues and get the job done. no excuses, you raced your race, didnt try to go above your skill level and you knocked it out. nice job once again

2008-12-10 12:35 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO

An awesome race and nice job adjusting to the circumstances.  Good luck in the future and I hope you make it to Kona.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Arizona Rss Feed