General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Increase Protein w/out Increasing Carbs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-11-28 8:48 AM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Subject: Increase Protein w/out Increasing Carbs

So, I posted on here a while back with a question of what foods are best to increase my protein without having a higher fat ratio.  I got an awesome amount of responses, and since then, I've been very successful at having a higher protein ratio than fat.  I've added chicken, salmon, cottage cheese, oatmeal.  It's still not an ideal ratio, but it is way better.  So thanks so much again to everyone who posted.

That being said, my carb percentage is always around 70-75%.  Any suggestions on foods that can knock the carb percentage down?  Thanks so much!

2008-11-28 10:34 AM
in reply to: #1829365

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Increase Protein w/out Increasing Carbs
Do you have a food log somewhere? 75% carbs does seem mighty high.

One guess might be that you're having a carb-heavy breakfast. Since I can't eat gluten (read: regular cereal, bagels, etc.), I go kinda outside the box and sometimes have meat with a side of fruit. It seems a little bit strange, but I think folks finally got used to me eating tuna, salmon or chicken breast for breakfast.
2008-11-28 11:12 AM
in reply to: #1829453

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

I log it over on Calorie-Count.  I find their system easier to use, they have more food options and I can see at all times my calorie input and output.

I have coffee, fat free liquid creamer and a boal of oatmeal w/ a quarter cup of milk for breakfast.

Yeah, I don't think I could do those meats for breakfasts, but it is certainly commendable that you can. 

Thanks,

Lkagop

2008-12-06 8:26 AM

User image

Master

Egg Whites? I've just started adding egg whites to my nutrition plan. Actually I hate eggs but am making myself eat them to increase my protein intake in the morning. This morning I had an egg white pancake which actually wasn't bad. 

4 egg whites, 1/3 cup uncooked oatmeal, 3 TBS low or no sugar preserves, 3 pkts. splenda, pam cooking spray, Optional:jam, yogurt or low ff syrup.

Mix everything (except Pam) together in a blender. Spray 6 inch non Teflon pan with Pam and place on low/med. heat. Pour in mixture and cover. Cook for 4-5 minutes. Flip over with a spatula and cook 1-2 more minutes til the inside is cooked. Serves 1

* I would cook it 4 minutes and then check the first one I made burned!

Cal: 317, Fat g.1, Chol. 0, Pro. 17gm, Carb 60gm., % fat 3%

There are several varations on the recipe. You can add Cocoa powder, Nesquick no sugar powder, banana, cinnamon, etc.,

2008-12-06 10:38 AM

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
I put protein powder and soy milk in my smoothies to improve the protein/carb ratio.  Staying away from starchy carbs helps a lot -- have green beans w/ the salmon rather than potatoes or pasta.   (Haven't checked your log to see if you're even eating starches, just a general suggestion).
2008-12-30 9:33 AM
in reply to: #1841759

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

Catwoman, that sounds like a great and yummy recipe.  Thanks for sharing.

Skarl, thanks for the suggestion about the protein powder and soy milk.  That's an awesome idea.

2008-12-30 9:41 AM

User image

Expert
Florida
hmmm. 70-75% carbs is very high.
You want to stick with all lean proteins or even entertain the possiblity of using something supplemental such as whey protein with a brand like dymatize elite which has a nice makeup and breaks down easily in your body.

Chicken,fish,eggwhites,tuna,whey protein,lean steak etc... All have a very high protein-carb ratio, the more your diet is made up of these types of foods, the more likely you are to drop your carb ratio and raise your protein intake.

A carb heavy breakfast is a solid thing, breakfast is the MOST improtant meal outside of post workout nutrition, and having a heavy dose of your carbs at that time is actually optimal.
try and ween the carbs down over the course of the day and make sure your meals and snacks are balanced. for instance a carb heavy breakfast such as 1/2-1 cup whole oats mixed with 1/4 cup of raisins supplemented with lean protein such as egg whites and a little fat with somew part-skim cheese is an EXCELLENT breakfast. you get all your necessayr nutrients and your body is burning fuel right away repping your metabolism and stroking the fire.

heres a quick example not taking into account your likes and dislikes and your schedule.
breakfast-oats with fruit, egg whites, part-skim cheese
snack-yogurt and nuts(weighed)
Lunch-brown rice, broccoli, chicken breast
snack-piece of fruit and whey shake
post workout meal-heavy dose of green veggies and tuna or salmon or chicken or lean steak(top round etc...)

carbs are centered around the most appropriate times and everything is more balanced.

Edited by BeginnerMan 2008-12-30 9:44 AM
2008-12-30 10:04 AM
in reply to: #1877634

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

BeginnerMan - 2008-12-30 10:41 AM hmmm. 70-75% carbs is very high. You want to stick with all lean proteins or even entertain the possiblity of using something supplemental such as whey protein with a brand like dymatize elite which has a nice makeup and breaks down easily in your body. Chicken,fish,eggwhites,tuna,whey protein,lean steak etc... All have a very high protein-carb ratio, the more your diet is made up of these types of foods, the more likely you are to drop your carb ratio and raise your protein intake. A carb heavy breakfast is a solid thing, breakfast is the MOST improtant meal outside of post workout nutrition, and having a heavy dose of your carbs at that time is actually optimal. try and ween the carbs down over the course of the day and make sure your meals and snacks are balanced. for instance a carb heavy breakfast such as 1/2-1 cup whole oats mixed with 1/4 cup of raisins supplemented with lean protein such as egg whites and a little fat with somew part-skim cheese is an EXCELLENT breakfast. you get all your necessayr nutrients and your body is burning fuel right away repping your metabolism and stroking the fire. heres a quick example not taking into account your likes and dislikes and your schedule. breakfast-oats with fruit, egg whites, part-skim cheese snack-yogurt and nuts(weighed) Lunch-brown rice, broccoli, chicken breast snack-piece of fruit and whey shake post workout meal-heavy dose of green veggies and tuna or salmon or chicken or lean steak(top round etc...) carbs are centered around the most appropriate times and everything is more balanced.

AWEsommme.  That is soooo helpful.  I like everything you suggested.  Thanks a lot, BeginnerMan!

2008-12-30 10:09 AM
in reply to: #1877678

User image

Expert
Florida
lkagop - 2008-12-30 11:04 AM

BeginnerMan - 2008-12-30 10:41 AM hmmm. 70-75% carbs is very high. You want to stick with all lean proteins or even entertain the possiblity of using something supplemental such as whey protein with a brand like dymatize elite which has a nice makeup and breaks down easily in your body. Chicken,fish,eggwhites,tuna,whey protein,lean steak etc... All have a very high protein-carb ratio, the more your diet is made up of these types of foods, the more likely you are to drop your carb ratio and raise your protein intake. A carb heavy breakfast is a solid thing, breakfast is the MOST improtant meal outside of post workout nutrition, and having a heavy dose of your carbs at that time is actually optimal. try and ween the carbs down over the course of the day and make sure your meals and snacks are balanced. for instance a carb heavy breakfast such as 1/2-1 cup whole oats mixed with 1/4 cup of raisins supplemented with lean protein such as egg whites and a little fat with somew part-skim cheese is an EXCELLENT breakfast. you get all your necessayr nutrients and your body is burning fuel right away repping your metabolism and stroking the fire. heres a quick example not taking into account your likes and dislikes and your schedule. breakfast-oats with fruit, egg whites, part-skim cheese snack-yogurt and nuts(weighed) Lunch-brown rice, broccoli, chicken breast snack-piece of fruit and whey shake post workout meal-heavy dose of green veggies and tuna or salmon or chicken or lean steak(top round etc...) carbs are centered around the most appropriate times and everything is more balanced.

AWEsommme.  That is soooo helpful.  I like everything you suggested.  Thanks a lot, BeginnerMan!

no problemo-trust me-from my Bodybuilding years to the transition to tri's i have tweaked more diets then i care to remember!
just interchange items to fit your needs but keep the compounds the same (i.e. lean protein at meals,carbs at certain important times,getting healthy fat etc) so if you dont want egg whites one morning switch it a shake with oats and fruit and instead of the shake inthe afteroon with your fruit have something else that is a lean protein.

Edited by BeginnerMan 2008-12-30 10:10 AM
2009-01-14 3:05 PM

User image

New user

I am in the same boat as you, I am have started using Jay Robb Whey protein powder. One scoop is 110 calories and 25 g of protein. I put ice in the blender, one scoop, about 6 frozen strawberries, 1 c raw spinach, .25 c of frozen unsweet blueberries, and sometimes peaches or whatever frut I have....mix with water on high and I have an amazing smoothie.

Then, I have a turkey sandwich...another 9g of protein and with fat free cheese a couple more grams of protein. I use the low calorie bread.

I'm not sure if this it helpful, but I have managed to bring my daily amount of protein from 60 g to 137 g.

(I read that you should eat a g of protein for every pound that you are.

2009-01-15 10:31 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Hard to give great advice without seeing what you are eating more.  But if your carbs are consistently 70-75%, then you are probably not getting enough protein OR FAT.  Remember that not all fat is bad.  First off, you might add some eggs to your breakfast.  Yes, not egg whites but the whole thing.  The egg yellows will increase your protein and also provide some other valuable nutrients.  Nuts are a great option for a snack.  You have to control portion size since they are colorie dense, but many have healthy fats and other nutrients.  Just a couple ideas for you.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Increase Protein w/out Increasing Carbs Rss Feed