General Discussion Triathlon Talk » endurance nation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-12-01 7:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: endurance nation
Has anybody got a IM training plan from them and how is their feedback? This will be my third Ironman and i'm thinking of dropping my coach. EN has lots of training plans including IMCA. It seem's to have a good support system too.

Thoughts anybody?

Nathalie

2008-12-01 9:38 AM
in reply to: #1831804

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: endurance nation
I've used their Marathon Plan in 2008, 1/2 Ironman Plan 2008, and Ironman Plan 2007. I'm currently using their Outseason Advanced Bike Plan and have already purchased my Advanced Ironman Plan for IMOO this fall.

I can probably write pages and pages about the work Rich and Patrick put into their business and the results speak for themselves.

There are a couple of flavors of investment with EN.

1. You can purchase your IM plan 20wk or Season Plan (Includes outseason 16wk + IM plan 16wk) and walk away. IOW, Your the type of athlete that doesn't want or need guidance. You tell me what to do and I do it....mentality.

2. Pro Member. This unlocks all their forums which have Power/Pace, IM specific forum for each NAS/WTC event. Some really wicked geeky stuff if really want to look under the hood of training and data. In addition to the plans you purchase you pay $15 a month for Pro Forum access. You receive a monthly "gift". This month was the 5 Days of Ironman. A podcast for do/don't for your five days leading up to IM. Each week there is a thread called "I need tweaks/feedback" you can ask any questions you have about that weeks training. You can do it anytime really but they like to keep the thread with Q/A in one spot to avoid answering the same question multiple times. I think December will be the last month for $15, I believe it will be going up next year to around 30. One of the advantages I like is when someone ask a quesiton, everyone has some insight into the question. There are X amount of people on the same plan and can help you unlike a general traithlon forum where people aren't really following your training and you can advice all across the board. The coaches will be at every NAS event as well.

If you have specific questions, PM me. I don't want to talk it up too much since they are after the same Tri training dollar as BT.
2008-12-01 2:19 PM

User image

Champion
MA
I left my coach of 4 years in October. Looked at other coaches and EN. Decided to try out season with them and joined as a member. I always can switch and hire a coach if it doesn't work out.
2008-12-01 4:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sunny San Diego

They have a bunch of podcasts on itunes which I just started listening to- lots of good information.

I just haven't decided if I'm going to utilize any kind of coaching for the upcoming year. 

2008-12-01 4:07 PM

Champion
No excuses!

For those that are with them correct me if i am wrong, but they seem to have a niche in going after the working athlete with not a ton of training time to spare. I have listened to a bunch of their podcasts and checked out the free trial on their website and they seem to preach short and hard vs miles and miles.

Both coaches definatley know there stuff and seem to have  a business model that should be very sucessful. Many clients at x vs limited clients one on one for a higher $.

Not so sold on there "we don't swim over the winter" philosophy though.

2008-12-01 9:24 PM
in reply to: #1833001

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Shermbelle - 2008-12-01 4:07 PM

For those that are with them correct me if i am wrong, but they seem to have a niche in going after the working athlete with not a ton of training time to spare. I have listened to a bunch of their podcasts and checked out the free trial on their website and they seem to preach short and hard vs miles and miles.

Their IM plans will give you plenty of volume, especially the advanced IM..plenty of 5-6 hour rides involved.  The short and hard stuff refers more to their offseason (they call it outseason) plans where they focus on raising FTP in winter and then add distance later on

Both coaches definatley know there stuff and seem to have  a business model that should be very sucessful. Many clients at x vs limited clients one on one for a higher $.

Not so sold on there "we don't swim over the winter" philosophy though.

The "we don't swim over the winter" thing has been blown way out of proportion - especially on some folks over on ST.  EN advocates not investing much (if any) time to swim training in the "outseason" since they feel the return on time invested is small compared to bike and run training, especially for folks with time limitations.  They don't say "don't swim all winter".  Their outseason ends in Jan or Feb (depending on the date of your target IM race), so you will still start swim training in winter.  

I've bought advanced IM plans from them but don't necessarily follow their plans (I borrow from multiple approaches), so I'm somewhat familiar with their philosophy.  They're developing a new coaching paradigm, which is bound to ruffle a few feathers - which is not necessarily a bad thing.

2008-12-02 6:07 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

I am using their HIM season training and also access the forums - if the price doubles I doubt I will continue that.

I had a coach for my first season  which helped me navigate the whole sport.  By the end of the year I was tweaking things myself and felt ready to use a plan on its own - after the discussion on ST of ironguides vs EN I checked both out (as well as the plans here) and like the numbers geeky approach of EN.  I am doing the off season intermediate balanced plan right now - adding strength and swimming on my own (swimming 1-2x  per week with plans of increasing to 3 in January)

I like the approach of intensity vs volume - the science behind it- and you can do it by HR as well: http://www.endurancenation.us/store/resources/webinars_2008_11_hear... - that was a webinar recently that they are offering for free.

I also like the concept of a virtual 'team'.  We have already had things like a virtual marathon relay - there is a lot of support (as there is here).

I get MUCH more feedback than I did with a 1:1 coach - Rich and Patrick are VERY responsive.  The gold membership here has some of the same features though I think EN has a bit more involvement in the virtual world.

2008-12-02 8:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Thank you for all your responses. I joined EN and plan to buy a plan from them. I was inspired to try something new after being with a coach for 2 years. I like their approch to the "out-season" and plan to tweak( add) to their plan with masters swimming 3x week, strenght training 2x, and some yoga.

Nathalie
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » endurance nation Rss Feed