General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to overcome your blah's unitl spring...motivation! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-07 10:31 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: How to overcome your blah's unitl spring...motivation!
OK, confessional time here. I've noticed lots of posts about being unmotivated, depressed, drinking too much booze, breaking down in tears. I believe most of these are coming from us snowbound, coldbound, winterbound northern winters triathletes. (we're still triathletes no matter how much we're training).

When I get this far down in the dumps, I recall one March about 14 years ago. I was in college and on March 26th, 1991, my boyfriend committed suicide. I was furious at him, and horribly depressed for quite sometime. Of course he was depressed at the time as well, which is why he did it. Anyone looking in on his life would be able to add up a number of awful things that were going on. But I believe that part of the reason he did it had to due with the long, long cold, grey, damp winters we have in pennsylvania (and many other northern states).

That march, so many years ago, continued to be grey and rainy. But guess what happened? Two weeks later, spring came. The sun came out, the birds began singing, tulips and daffodils sprung up. I couldn't believe it. I had come to believe that spring would never happen again. I was certain that if he could have held on just another two weeks... TWO WEEKS!!! That he wouldn't have done it. At least not that winter.

So please, don't post in reply feeling sorry for me. I always think of the hope this time of year that spring is just around the corner, literally! HANG IN THERE! DON'T GIVE UP!!!

Soon, the sun will be out, the grass will start growing, the birds will be greeting on your morning rides & runs!!! Hooray!

2005-03-08 10:06 AM
in reply to: #126644

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eagleville,
Subject: RE: How to overcome your blah's unitl spring...motivation!

I know what you mean, here in PA it can  seem like it takes forever for winter to end.  Or we get a nice day or two here and there only to be hit with more cold and snow, like today. lol  My issue with motivation was that I was sick for a week and half, and I just can't seem to get my a$$ back in gear and train.  It has now been almost 3 weeks since I did any training.  Between the two issues it is really heard to get back to training.  I can't wait for spring to get here this year.  As the winter blues seem to have been really bad this year. 

2005-03-08 11:11 AM

Regular
New York, NY
Thanks for posting this. I have been feeling really down and unmotivated, which is part of why I came to read the forums this morning. It can feel so hard to hold on for the spring, even if its just a few more weeks away. Right now its as dark as night outside my office window, and its snailing (snowing/hailing--can't tell which). And if it snows, my training ride on Sun will be cancelled--the first training ride with a tri group I have been wanting to join. I'm trying to prepare for that (inevitable?) disappointment while still feeling excited and motivated about training in general (and training this weekend specifically). Its hard.
2005-03-08 11:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Albert
Excellent post!
2005-03-08 1:34 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Same thing here in MA. I’d been leaving here for 8 years I am originally from Mexico so I was used to warm weather. For the first few years I spent here it was kind of exciting to have such a long winter, do winter sports, etc. I heard people talking about winter depression but I always thought it was an exaggeration... Now, 8 years later, I don't know if it has to do with my age, my life, etc. but I do get more emotional and of course I get depress around this time. This winter I had experienced mood swings and sometimes I just can’t be constant in many things, such as training. However I keep telling to myself that the summer is coming and in a few weeks I will be swimming/riding outside again! 

2005-03-08 1:51 PM

Elite
Livingston, MT
AdventureBear - 2005-03-07 7:31 PM

I've noticed lots of posts about being unmotivated, depressed, drinking too much booze, breaking down in tears.

Isn't that the truth? Boy, we have been getting alot of folks down and out on this boards lately. I thought we might have to open up a new "Depression" category. Is it limited to us triathletes? What gives?

2005-03-08 2:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
Seasonal Affective Disorder is a very, very real condition.

http://www.nmha.org/infoctr/factsheets/27.cfm

I've dealt with it for a long time and I live in sunny Colorado! It would be really tough if I lived in a place with "real" winters. The things I do for myself, and these may sound a little glib, but they work for me:

1. keep fresh flowers around, right now I have cut daffodils in the kitchen, the living room and the bedroom. And I've got green plants at work...

2. eat oranges, those little clementines are awesome! I can eat like 5 a day.

3. do a little volunteer work

4. don't overload yourself with expectations. I don't really plan my workouts much this time of year. I find that if I "plan" to ride my bike on the weekend and it snows, then I'm dissappointed. Instead I just wake up and figure out what to do then. Less expectations = less dissappointment. I know its not going to win me any triathlon medals, but hey, its only for a little while.

5. this ones a hard one. I try to save up a little money and take a trip this time of year. I don't always get to, don't always have enough money. But every few years I go to Mexico, this year its Costa Rica. Somewhere HOT and sunny. You can get a pretty cheap trip if you look for it.

This is a crazy time of year. This morning I went for a run at 5:30 at the park near my house, there's a really pretty little lake. I saw lots of water fowl, heard robins and another songbird that I couldn't pick out, saw an AMAZING sunrise. Then, about an hour or so ago, it snowed. Eh, oh well....
2005-03-08 3:10 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
thank you for your post. my uncle is battling severe depression right now and we're hoping that spring comes early for him (literally and figuratively). in minnesota, things can get very glum. its easy to get the blahs, especially when its cold but there isn't any snow to play in. training has given me an excuse to get me and my kids outside, even on cold days. we may be chapped and pink, but it keeps us all happy.

last week, with my 18 month old on my back, hand in hand withh my almost 4 year old, we went on a 4 mile 'urban hike'. the sun was shining, and, on some of the trees, my daughter discovered slick green and pink buds. spring is coming.
2005-03-08 5:02 PM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
I totally hear you about the lousy seasonal motivation. Between a killer commute and the world's worst boss I'm having a really hard time finding time to train this spring. It doesn't help that I'm exhausted and pissed off all the time.
2005-03-08 5:09 PM

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY

Thanks for an excellent post. 

Yesterday was a beautiful day in NY.  It was sunny, and in the 50s.  I had a nice run yesterday, and I was thinking, "Ahhhh, spring is coming soon."  Today it's snowing, and the temps went drom 50 down to 28 in no time flat.  It was another day on the computrainer, but it actually went much better then last week's workouts.  I think that little glimpse on spring helped revive me.

I'll hold on to that vision on sunshine and warmth, and before we know it, it will be here for real.

2005-03-08 10:23 PM

How right you are!! I am looking forward to those nice spring days!!

2005-03-08 11:15 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
How right you are! We had a small taste of Spring here in the Chicago area on Sunday. Sunny, lower 60's. Got out and cleaned up the front yard, and lo and behold, the tulips are starting to come up! Spring is just around the corner, so hang on everyone!

Edited by bmax 2005-03-08 11:15 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to overcome your blah's unitl spring...motivation! Rss Feed