General Discussion Triathlon Talk » M.I.T. - Miami International Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2009-03-13 5:11 AM
in reply to: #1850652

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
Subject: RE: M.I.T. - Miami International Triathlon : Official Thread
Nope....This year will be only Olympic....not like last year....that they included the Sprint....

2009-03-13 6:00 PM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL

See ya tomorrow and Good Luck to everyone who is racing this one...!!!!

Yahooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

2009-03-14 6:25 AM

User image

Expert
Florida
well, the wife and i are heading out in an hour or so.
want to wish everyone goodluck!
swim safe and have a great race!
2009-03-14 6:47 AM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL

We are leaving at noon...we will be there around 1o pm...

Good Luck to Everybody!!!!

2009-03-14 9:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver

FYI...I just got back from riding key biscayne and there was only a slight breeze from the southeast. not much to fight heading east but real fast going west

god luck to you all!!

2009-03-14 3:51 PM

User image

Veteran
South Florida

Wind tomorrow morning looks to be 5-10 MPH, less than this afternoon's 10-15. 

I have a wetsuit question.  This is my first race with the wetsuit (got one from wetsuitrental.com; recommended by the way).  I just realized that I'll probably want my timing chip strategically fastened inside the wetsuit so I can take it off easy.   So the question is: is that right, such that will the timing chip still communicate if its within the wetsuit?  I figure that the wetsuit will pretty much not come off if I have the timing chip outside the wetsuit.

Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow!  Get your rest!

2009-03-14 4:45 PM
in reply to: #2017913

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
rdeclercq - 2009-03-14 4:51 PM

Wind tomorrow morning looks to be 5-10 MPH, less than this afternoon's 10-15. 

I have a wetsuit question.  This is my first race with the wetsuit (got one from wetsuitrental.com; recommended by the way).  I just realized that I'll probably want my timing chip strategically fastened inside the wetsuit so I can take it off easy.   So the question is: is that right, such that will the timing chip still communicate if its within the wetsuit?  I figure that the wetsuit will pretty much not come off if I have the timing chip outside the wetsuit.

Yes....no problem...it still transmite signal...and try to put the wet-suit over chip....in that way when you remove it...it did get stuck with the chip....

Good Luck!!!

Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow!  Get your rest!

2009-03-14 5:39 PM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL

Hey Guys....

Which Bid# did you get????

I got the Bid# 803 and my Buddy Bid# 589.....

Good Luck and See ya tomorrow...!!!!

2009-03-15 1:55 PM

User image

So how'd everybody do? what did you guys think?

I went without wetsuit, temp not an issue. goggles let in lovely saltwater every few strokes so swam left eye shut, no biggie but i swam much more zig zag than normal.

bike felt awesome, climbing the first bridge west not so bad coming back east a minute later with a headwind was brutal. it was fun weaving with traffic on lap 2 down the entrance to the park, not sure what that was about. feel bad for that man and woman that wrecked on the second bridge, hope they're ok. one lady took passing TOO seriously, yelling at everbody "SLOW ON THE RIGHT!". come on now.

run was what it was. didn't mind the unpaved parts. jogged the whole thing decent pace.

my first oly and it went well overall. shold have lubed my pits on the swim but went ok other than that. can i get ready for a HIM by fall? Hmmmmm . . . . . .

2009-03-15 5:22 PM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL

Just got back myself and despite my 4:30 AM start and racing all morning it's my wife that needs to grab a nap as soon as we got home.  She musta got tired watching me race...

My first Oli and I was a little slower than I hoped for, esp. on the run where I ran in to blister trouble early.  Sorry to hear that folks wrecked, and yes there were plenty of impatient racers yelling instructions to anyone that stood in their way.

2009-03-15 5:43 PM

User image

Miami,FL
I just woke up from my nap. The race was very good, my first olympic as well. The swim went incredibly well, no wetsuit, the recent swimming definitely helped. I started out slow and passed a bunch of the people in my age group, and a few from the previous wave, purple caps i think. I got out of the swim feeling really good, not tired at all. The bike was very good, i was a little worried since my knee had been giving me problems and cut my training short, but it wasnt an issue today. I saw the crash on the second bridge it looked really nasty. The run KICKED MY . I started out very good first lap was about 25 min, at the turnaround my legs cramped up baddddddd, barely made it to mile 4 had to walk some and drink fluids, saw a few people fall because of bad cramps. Finished completely spent, i will fill out my race report later.

2009-03-15 6:07 PM

User image

Veteran
South Florida

I'll probably fall asleep watching some TV tonight after dinner.  We hit up Rusty Pelican for brunch afterwards which was GREAT! 

My first olympic like the others also; I did use a wetsuit recently purchased and it worked great.  I'm a swimmer by history and I started the last heat.  Came out of the water feeling great.  Not to brag, but I passed a lot of people on the swim (again, that's my background).  We'll see how I did in the age group when the results are posted.  The bike kicked my butt; going into the bridge was okay, coming back not so much (I REALLY need to work on the biking).  I wanted to pummel the guy driving the Explorer into that side route during the second leg - he completely blocked the riders!  I could have done without the dusty trails, but the run went alright anyway.  I made a decision in the second loop to push it all out after the final u-turn at the end of the park so I pushed that 1.5 miles and felt great coming into the finish!

I was shooting for stretch goal of 2:30 with expectation to clear 2:45...I came in about 2:38/2:39 so I am happy.  My legs aren't so much, even after getting the massage.  Great experience and looking forward to the Nautica South Beach. 

Bib #1245.

2009-03-15 6:41 PM

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
To all ya BTers, esp. the virgins racing MIT - awesome experience, ain't it?  Let this be the fist of many more to come.  Congrats to all the finishers, I was watching and rooting all of ya.
2009-03-15 7:17 PM
in reply to: #2019338

User image

rdeclercq - 2009-03-15 6:07 PM

I'll probably fall asleep watching some TV tonight after dinner.  We hit up Rusty Pelican for brunch afterwards which was GREAT! 

My first olympic like the others also; I did use a wetsuit recently purchased and it worked great.  I'm a swimmer by history and I started the last heat.  Came out of the water feeling great.  Not to brag, but I passed a lot of people on the swim (again, that's my background).  We'll see how I did in the age group when the results are posted.  The bike kicked my butt; going into the bridge was okay, coming back not so much (I REALLY need to work on the biking).  I wanted to pummel the guy driving the Explorer into that side route during the second leg - he completely blocked the riders!  I could have done without the dusty trails, but the run went alright anyway.  I made a decision in the second loop to push it all out after the final u-turn at the end of the park so I pushed that 1.5 miles and felt great coming into the finish!

I was shooting for stretch goal of 2:30 with expectation to clear 2:45...I came in about 2:38/2:39 so I am happy.  My legs aren't so much, even after getting the massage.  Great experience and looking forward to the Nautica South Beach. 

Bib #1245.

Nice time for your first Oly! I talked to a few people that were 70.3ers and using this as "sprint". Obviously none of us.  I saw people cramping too.  I gulped down a quart of water before the bike and before the run and felt fine.

Did anybody else get SMOKED on the bike by one or more of the "disc wheel bad " as my wife called them?  Holy crap, they were flying, even uphill. . . . and that was my best bike ride ever.  My wife was like "we should get you one of those disc wheels!" . . . . . She's so cute, right?  I explained the whole 90% training/10% equipment thing.

2009-03-15 7:35 PM
in reply to: #2019449

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
SMYLGR8 - 2009-03-15 8:17 PM
rdeclercq - 2009-03-15 6:07 PM

Bib #1245.

Nice time for your first Oly! I talked to a few people that were 70.3ers and using this as "sprint". Obviously none of us.  I saw people cramping too.  I gulped down a quart of water before the bike and before the run and felt fine.

Did anybody else get SMOKED on the bike by one or more of the "disc wheel bad " as my wife called them?  Holy crap, they were flying, even uphill. . . . and that was my best bike ride ever.  My wife was like "we should get you one of those disc wheels!" . . . . . She's so cute, right?  I explained the whole 90% training/10% equipment thing.

Actually its 90% equipment/10% training. I'm one of those disc people.

2009-03-15 8:16 PM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
It's 9:15 pm....And Finally!!!! Results were posted!!!!

2009-03-16 10:47 AM

User image

Expert
Florida
overall i was happy with everything.
I passed a bunch of previous waves on the swim, which was great for me considering at my first triathlon(sprint) a few months back i had a huge panic attack, could also have been the fact im much more comfortable in ocean water rather than lakes. anywhoo-had to backtrack once as i went around the last red cone on the left instead of the right. which made me ask "ok, we go around the left twice, then the last one on the right? ummm ok"
Transitions were slow which wrecked my overall time, and my biking was HOOOOOORRRIBLE.
not alot of gear-shifting knowledge and the bridges destroyed me.
Coupled with the fact i overhydrated, led to a "fun" run.
run actually went well, under 9 a mile with cramps the whole time and a quad cramp that came outta nowhere for the last 2 miles of the run.
Final time was 2:52, which wasn't what i wanted, but i know if i focus on the bike more that time couldve easily been around 2:30-2:35.
Since it was my second race, first olympic, I was satisfied with everything.
But this race has allowed me to re-focus my goals for my first year, and instead of doing a HIM,even tho i know i can complete it, id rather do a bunch of sprints and oly's to improve and get faster overall, then I will start working on HIM's and an IM(FL) for next year.
a very njoyable time overall. wife and i slept basically off and on all day yesterday, and i was eating when i wasn't sleeping
2009-03-16 1:15 PM

User image

Elite
Miami

well what can i say....the race was great.  really enjoyed the venue in comparison to the trilogy races last year, where the smell alone can kill you.  the swim was great.

This was my 1st olympic.  My goal was 2:40, came in at 2:33.  I didn't care for the run in the dirt,  rest of the race was great.  my run needs an improvement eventhough my legs were fresh. 

see you all @ nautica

2009-03-16 1:19 PM

User image

Elite
Miami
couple of personal pics my gf took.

Edited by trix 2009-03-16 1:26 PM

(6.JPG)

(2.JPG)

(3.JPG)

(5.JPG)

(1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
6.JPG (22KB - 29 downloads)
2.JPG (45KB - 33 downloads)
3.JPG (49KB - 27 downloads)
5.JPG (79KB - 27 downloads)
1.JPG (48KB - 26 downloads)
2009-03-16 4:28 PM

User image

Miami,FL
Just posted my race report, it looks like the race pics will take a little while to be posted.
2009-03-16 5:16 PM

User image

So check this out.  I'm sitting on the couch yesterday recovering and I'm googling some bike stuff that I saw at the race.  I come across a 61 P2C with zipp 404's etc. that's for sale.  I realized on the race that my Ordu is a little small for me so long story short . . . . they're dropping it off tomorrow!!!!!

So, uh, anybody want a 2007 Ordu 58???? I know, I'll put it in class. section but I hope I don't get this urge to upgrade my bike after EVERY race!

2009-03-16 9:14 PM
in reply to: #2021484

User image

Expert
Near Tampa

a 61 cm bike frame?  Living in Miami?  Is your name Phillip by any chance?  If you're not him, you must know this dude I met while he worked in PRico.  Let me know - though your profile says you are Rob.     ???       Olman

Anyways, I'm working all week in MIA (staying in Pembroke Pines near I-75 and Pines Blvd - any fun riding areas?  I'm hauling my bike along.  Thanks in advace

2009-03-18 8:27 AM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL

Hey Guys...

It's to let you know that I just posted my Race Report....

Good Job to everybody who raced this one!!!!

See at Nautica South Beach Triathlon!!!!

2009-03-18 10:44 AM

User image

Long Island, NY
Well, I'm back in NY with a broadband connection!

The race was a lot of fun, I wasn't looking to break any PRs or anything.

The swim was uneventful, went well (did have to stop once to clear the goggles). I am a MOP swimmer so it was fun passing swimmers from previous waves (I was in one of the last waves, red caps 45-49).

Bike is my weakest leg, but held it sort of together. The Causeway hill was not a big deal. The bike is what kills my times.

The run, usually my strongest leg was just OK, didn't have the zip I usually have. I did like the run course, mostly shaded and the trail part did not bother me - other than making a mess of my shoes. The only issue with the path is that it got tight as people were trying to pass coming and going, and you had to keep your eyes open.

I really enjoyed the race, and would certainly consider coming back next year, should things work out that way.

I was racked right across the Pros, which was cool.

Total time, 2:44:43 bib #715.
2009-03-18 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2025326

User image

Long Island, NY
Ops, bib is 725.

MarioJW - 2009-03-18 11:44 AM

Total time, 2:44:43 bib #715.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » M.I.T. - Miami International Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 6