NW Ultras
37F / 3C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 03m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Early morning oatmeal and coffee, took the dogs out for their morning walk. Whiny little sh##s, saw me wearing running clothes and thought this was their day....ever hear dogs moan?

Realized I was ahead of schedule and could make it up to the start line for the 8am start. Glad I did. 20 minute drive later was up at the cold and windy start line in Birch Bay Park.

Event warmup:

Nothing.
Run
  • 5h 03m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Got to run the first loop and a half with Little Leslie and Stan N. Both MM that make me look like a baby. Stan is going for 300 races next year and LL has done 53 marathon or better this year, plus 40+ last year.

First loop was ok till about around 2 hours, started to looose the pace and slowly went down hill after that. Walked the hills and spent too much time at the aid station. Had a very nice tail wind at the finish but, couldn't break 5 hours.
What would you do differently?:

Not be a LardButt. Not sure what was more of a cause, running a marathon the previous weekend or the cold weather. But than when you meet LL and Stan, just HTFU and get going.....
Post race
Warm down:

Drove home and bought pizza and walked the dogs.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight.

Event comments:

This is for people that like to run marathons. Carry a bottle for 26 miles. Not for the faint of heart that need coddling.

The goodie bag I got from Lenora Dolphin at the finish had more goodies than Las Vegas Marathon or Bellingham Bay. Even got a medal (soccer medal)

Last updated: 2008-10-22 12:00 AM
Running
05:03:00 | 26.2 miles | 11m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
No HRM or mile marker splits.
Course: Birch Bay Marathon course basically, except the start a little farther down the road in the park, so to make up the take a detour down toward Semiahmoo Resort road (killer steep road way, first gear grind on a bike). First loop had patches of slippery ice pavement by the ditch, had to watch the foot placement. Other wise Everything was ok. Next question is keeping cool. The storm didn't hit on friday like the weather man predicted...But it was still freaking cold, mid 30 with a strong gusty wind.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-12-14 12:56 AM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: Birch Bay Ghost Marathon

2008-12-14 2:35 AM
in reply to: #1853050

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Birch Bay Ghost Marathon
You are one tough puppy! Congrats on doing a great job on a difficult course in the COLD!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Birch Bay Ghost Marathon Rss Feed