General Discussion Race Reports! » NATZ SCHMATZ OPA OPA BEER CROSS Final Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

NATZ SCHMATZ OPA OPA BEER CROSS Final - CycleCyclocross

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
dayville, Connecticut
United States
Danielson Adventure
21F / -6C
Sunny
Total Time = 39m 25s
Overall Rank = 8/8
Age Group = Open Women
Age Group Rank = 8/8
Pre-race routine:

Left home 8am arrived just after 9.
Event warmup:

Registered and rode the course.
Found it mountain bikey with lots of twisty trails with ice and crunchy grass as it had rained and was below freezing.
Got the the run up which was maybe 30 feet tall and nasty gnarly twisty hard down hill that was scary with a 90 degree right turn after.

Rode the tough hill part 4 times in warm up and figured out how to ride it better by riding brakes hard.

Warmed up before first race then went to the car to warm up then went back to do a bit more warm up but the men's race ran late.
Bike
  • 39m 35s
  • 0 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

First open race I've done which means all women of all categories are lumped together so typically you get more competitive women.

After the start I'm in last place right away..Mountain bikey course with lots of twisty turns on slick paths with ice that some melted to mud with wicked steep run up and gnarly downhill with trees, roots, and sharp 90 exit.

I never felt like I got the rhythm of the course which was odd but it was technical and slippery and I was being maybe overly cautious and tired from racing the day before. Men kept jumping onto the course and riding right behind me and talking with each other which was distracting and made me feel self conscience.

My rear tire slipped out once and I didn't fall, bike fell over in slick mud tight corner but I landed upright, ran into a tree on downhill so handlebar on the wrong side on tree but stopped before impact, ran into bushes a few times...made it through sand pit all 5x

Did the hard hill 4x to warm up and 4x in race crazy hard but I figured it out...tree crash with men all lined up behind me and my husband down at bottom taking pictures..nice to screw up for everyone to see.

What would you do differently?:

I did the best I could given what I had today. Not my best day but my husband had a great time taking photos of everyone and loves going to CT.

First cross race I've felt self conscience about being slow. 4 women lapped me and the men following me to preride the course annoyed me. I needed to be mentally stronger and enjoy being out there being like a little kid playing around on my bike. I think not knowing anyone racing played into this..normally there are 4-20 NEBC racers there racing and cheering me and others on.

I did have fun just not feeling as good about how I did as normal. Ice Weasel race was a course more to my liking/skill set and it was only cat 4 race. This race everyone was higher cat than me.
Post race
Warm down:

Rode a little, packed up and headed home sad that cross season is over but also ready for it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Goals for next cross season:
1. Learn to start faster and go for hole shot more aggressively
2. Warm up better as I seem to find my groove after a few laps, need to hammer bit more on warm up rides..one to check it out and next one close to race pace.
3. Improve skill set of cornering, dismounts, and remounts...with some courses 16 dismounts/mounts gaining 5 seconds each is huge.

Event comments:

Low key race and great for beginners as no bike race license is needed. I wish the guys would play by the rules and not ride the course when us women were racing and if they do stay say 50 yds behind don't ride up right behind me chit chatting...annoying as heck. Low key venue, easy to get to, nice facilities, challenging cross course ideal if you have mountain biking background.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-12-13 12:00 AM
Biking
00:39:35 | 00 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/8
Overall: 8/8
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Don't Let the name fool you. There will be plenty of good competition for the serious competitors. This is a grassroots series that that involves good ol' racin' plenty of competition, pain, and beer. Guaranteed to make you suffer. More fun than a barrel of monkeys. Fast, twisty and painful. 2 sets of barriers, a sand pit and a run up that will make you cry. The course is sure to make you grit your teeth and smile at the same time. Plenty of room for passing. Perfect for cross racing.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2008-12-15 1:06 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: NATZ SCHMATZ OPA OPA BEER CROSS Final

2008-12-15 1:46 PM
in reply to: #1854818

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: RE: NATZ SCHMATZ OPA OPA BEER CROSS Final
I wanted to tri X-cross this winter, but never got the bike built, definately on the radar for next winter!! I love reading your reports and keep up the hard work!!
2008-12-15 8:25 PM
in reply to: #1854818

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: NATZ SCHMATZ OPA OPA BEER CROSS Final

All your cross race talk and pictures have me thinking that it's a really fun way to spend a day .  Also looks like it would ultimately help with the bike/run transitions in just learning how to dismount so fast.  I think it's cool to see you give this a whirl and have goals for it in the future.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » NATZ SCHMATZ OPA OPA BEER CROSS Final Rss Feed