United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 26s
Overall Rank = 6/80
Age Group = Male Open Div
Age Group Rank = 3/9
Pre-race routine:

Met Eric (Relay partner) in Old Town to take the bus to Derby. Found our wrist band, a good ole snap bracelet and headed out toward the start line.
Run
  • 1h 36m 26s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off around a 7:40 pace chatting with some friends for the first mile or so, Met another person doing the relay who was hoping to run under 1:40 and continued to chat with him while I picked up the pace. The pace steadily increased until about mile 8 when I could feel my legs start to reach the edge of their training for that pace so I held things there. About mile 9 the course turned into the strong south wind and I started losing speed quickly. The course entered the Air Force Base and followed a pretty rough dirt road in the cross wind. This was rough on my legs and combined with the lack of training runs longer then about 8 miles I was slowing down. I gutted through the last couple miles and was very happy to hand the race off to Eric.
What would you do differently?:

All in all this was a training run but in prep for a half marathon I definately need to get a 12 miler or two in before hand.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate some food and headed to the bus to the finish line. I knew I hadn't run my fastest time but I also knew based on last years results I left Eric in a good place to finish out and get us some hardware. Turns out most of the relay teams led with the stronger runner but no other team had there 2nd runner run as close a time as Eric and I did, both finishing within 20 sec or each other's times.

Event comments:

Great hometown race that I hope I can keep supporting.

Last updated: 2008-10-20 12:00 AM
Running
01:36:26 | 13.1 miles | 07m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 6/80
Performance:
Course: Through Derby and South Wichita, finishing in Old Town. My Half ended at the Air Force Base.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes