BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eurydice79 (Magda's) Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2008-12-17 2:26 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Subject: Eurydice79 (Magda's) Group - FULL

NAME: eurydice79/ Magda

STORY: Hi! My name is Magda. I am a 29 year old Aussie girl. I am just coming into my third season of triathlon. I come from a background where I thought good exercise was an occasional walk with the dog! Then I just got fed up with being overweight and really unfit, a few people I knew were doing/ had done triathlons, and I got it into my head that I wanted to do one too because it sounded so cool!!! So here I am 3 years later still doing it. I love it and it has become a lifestyle, now I can't function unless I am exercising almost every day

FAMILY STATUS: I work full time as a vet, I've been married 4+ years to my gorgeous husband Sef, we don't have kids yet, only one dog & one cat & a tank full of tropical fish   

CURRENT TRAINING: At the moment I am trying to do something most days, I aim for 2 sessions in each discipline every week. I swim in a squad totalling about 2.8 miles per week. I also cycle about 35 miles per week and run about 10 miles per week. Soon I will start Half Ironman training so I'll be doing even more.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: At the moment in Australia its summer and we are at the beginning of our racing season. I have just signed up for a Half Ironman which will be in May, it will be my first time over that distance! In the meantime I have done and will be doing sprint distance races, I have signed up for about 1 per month Nov - April.  

WEIGHTLOSS: I don't weigh myself very often and try not to diet or focus on my weight too much. I try to eat clean as much as possible. I have become slimmer since I started triathlon and have gone down a dress size. Triathlon has given me a whole new respect for my body and what I can do with it. I think I am technically an Athena. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I think I would be a good mentor for people just starting out in triathlon, especially for those of you training for sprint distances. I have been there and done that many times and can give lots of good advice and encouragement! I know what it feels like to have zero fitness and no running background. I am also really chirpy and chatty and positive and am frequently on line, so I can check in on the team thread & your logs regularly. I love meeting new people. Come join my team and let the fun & training begin!!! Chattiness is a prerequisite! 

Edited by eurydice79 2008-12-23 10:06 PM

2008-12-19 6:28 PM
in reply to: #1858074

New user

Subject: RE: Eurydice79 (Magda's) Group

Hello, Magda~

I would love to join your group if you will have me.

My name is Laurie and I have never been the athletic type, nor had I ever challenged myself physically. I got my first taste of athleticism this summer when my husband asked me to try at tri training schedule for 6 weeks over summer.  I dedicated myself to the individual days and began to feel amazing and so proud of myself.  I teach, and so when school got back in session I slowly gave up my swim times due to adjusting schedules.  Shortly after, a triathlon seemed too far out of reach for me.

Over the summer, I did run in two 5K's and felt rather successful considering my couch potato status prior to the school year ending.  I also did a tri swim class for 8 weeks that did boost my confidence a little in the pool.  My husband is committed to a minimum of two tri's this year, and he hopes to hear the same from me.  Our 9 year old daughter is excited to race in her 2nd one this year, also.  I'm not nervous about the workouts; I become nervous about the race itself.  I'm comfortable with biking and running (not an expert by any means), but my real weakness is swimming.  I have some water fears that get in my way of being fluid. 

Family - I am married with 2 children, both girls - 9 and nearly 5.  My husband and I want to set examples of healthy living for our girls that includes exercise. 

Current Training - I am kind of back to square 1.  In month four of my training, I got a true shin splint.  Doc recommended I stay off my leg for 6 weeks to allow it to heal.  I have just started running again this week, and it feels great!  

Once I get started back on my training schedule, I feel confident I will see it through.  I think I need a big push in confidence that a tri is within the reach of someone like me.  It still seems so big!  

Thanks for your time, and if you have room in your group, I'd love to be here.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

~*~*~*Laurie

2008-12-20 12:20 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Subject: RE: Eurydice79 (Magda's) Group

Hi Laurie! Nice to meet you. Welcome to the group!

I'm really glad to hear that you've got such great goals. Its fantastic that you want to set a good example for your kids. A triathlon is DEFINITELY something you can do! Absolutely without a doubt. What distance are you aiming for and how much time do you have to train for it? What part of the world are you in? Is it winter where you are, and if so does that affect how much you can get outside?

My first triathlon was a 250m swim, a 10k cycle and a 2.5k run. I had zero fitness and only trained for 1 month before I did it. This is because I told my husband I wanted to do a triathlon and he signed me up for his work one then and there! Anyway I was the slowest person on the bike course (even a young boy was faster than me) and I walked most of the run leg. Don't get too worked up about your first race. Just go out and do one to take the mystery out of it. Then every one you do after that (which you hopefully will because hopefully you'll become hooked!) you'll improve and it will make you feel really good about yourself.

As a goal, in your training aim to be able to complete each distance of the race and a little bit extra, so on the day you know you've done that distance before, on the day when the little negative voices come into your head you'll be able to conquer then because you know you can do the distance.

If swimming is your weakness, try to get some open water swimming practice in. Do you have a coach? I found joining a swim squad really helped me because I've been given a lot of good advice on how to improve my stroke.

Welcome to the team and I am looking fwd to seeing you progress! Make sure you start logging your exercise so I can keep tabs on you

2008-12-20 2:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison
Subject: RE: Eurydice79 (Magda's) Group - OPEN
Hi Magda -

Could I be a part of your team?

Name:  amykmo (Amy)

Story:  I am 30 years old and live in Madison Wisconsin.  I was never an athlete in high school or college and really didn't do much of any sport, except walking, until 5 years ago.  At that time I started running, did a 5k AND 8k, and then went back to school and didn't have time to run.  Since then I have had 3 kids (2 year old twins and a 7 month old) and have just started exercising again. This summer I bought a road bike because I plan on riding in the MS 150 Bike Ride here in Wisconsin to support my husband who has MS.  I am also going to do the Danskin Tri in Chicagoland, which is something I've been wanting to do for years but have always been pregnant or a new mom.  It's about time!!!!

Current Training:  I am riding and running 2 days per week and doing a boot camp type class 2 other times a week. I also love yoga, especially hot yoga, so I am still practicing that as well.  I know it's time to step it up real soon. I need to start a swimming program since I know that is my tri weakness.

Weightloss:  I would love to lose 20-30 lbs of baby weight. But - I know I need to eat a lot better for that to happen.  I've never been good at eating well, so this is definitely something I need to work on.

I am hoping to get some great guidance and hopefully a kick in the arse to do the best that I can in my first tri this summer.

-Amy

2008-12-20 2:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison
Hi Magda -

Story:  I am 30 years old and live in Madison Wisconsin.  I was never an athlete in high school or college and really didn't do much of any sport, except walking, until 5 years ago.  At that time I started running, did a 5k AND 8k, and then went back to school and didn't have time to run.  Since then I have had 3 kids (2 year old twins and a 7 month old) and have just started exercising again. This summer I bought a road bike because I plan on riding in the MS 150 Bike Ride here in Wisconsin to support my husband who has MS.  I am also going to do the Danskin Tri in Chicagoland, which is something I've been wanting to do for years but have always been pregnant or a new mom.  It's about time!!!!

Current Training:  I am riding and running 2 days per week and doing a boot camp type class 2 other times a week. I also love yoga, especially hot yoga, so I am still practicing that as well.  I know it's time to step it up real soon. I need to start a swimming program since I know that is my tri weakness.

Weightloss:  I would love to lose 20-30 lbs of baby weight. But - I know I need to eat a lot better for that to happen.  I've never been good at eating well, so this is definitely something I need to work on.

I am hoping to get some great guidance and hopefully a kick in the arse to do the best that I can in my first tri this summer.

-Amy

2008-12-20 4:12 PM

User image

West Orange NJ

Hi, Eurydice --

I would LOVE to be in this group, as I'm already registered for my first sprint triathlon on May 10.  I re-started walk-jogging about a year ago, and did the  Myrtle Beach Half in 15s, then discovered, after a fall trail-running, that I've got an arthritic left knee...  so lots of PT, exercise, and a decision to do triathlons.  I've been working on the swimming and biking since, with less time on the walk-shuffling (which I think is sort of a write-off).  I did do the Royal Vic 8K in 14's, with the last mile at 12:47, which astounded me.  I'm really jived about this sprint, because I will be 70 in March. 

Mustang Mom

2008-12-20 4:22 PM

Hey Magda

How are you doing, very well I hope!?

I’d like to join up to looks like a great group is beginning to take shape. I’m Neil, 43 years of age from a city called Hull in England. I’m married to Jan and have two ace daughters Bethany 10, Jessie aged 7, both very excited about Christmas!

My story is mainly around running, been racing for about 5 years, I’m a steady club runner and have raced from 10k through to marathon distance. This year I did my first sprint triathlon which was fantastic. I struggled with the swim, my weak part, lost my bike in transition (!) but rode and ran pretty well! I want more of this, the plan this year is more sprints and then an Olympic. I’ve also just qualified as a Level One Coach with the British Triathlon Federation and will be coaching youngsters in 2009 which should be a blast! Here’s our website http://www.3xtri.com/index.php

My training is pretty erratic, good weeks bad weeks no consistency so I need to put that right and hook up with some fellow novices on here under the watchful eye of your good self!

Hope to jump aboard!

Neil
2008-12-20 4:52 PM

User image

HI!  Can I join your group too?

I could sure use some support and insight.  I set finishing a sprint triathlon as a goal for 2009.  Triathlon appealed to me for the variety of training.  I want a plan to get back in shape now that I'm done having kids (I have two - ages 6 and 3).  My current exercise regimen is sporadic at best!  The bummer is that I don't know a single person who does triathlon and can't talk a single one of my friends into trying one with me!  So I'm truly flying solo here!  I'd love to have a mentor in the sport.

Anyway, I'm 36, married, mother of two.  I'm an optometrist working full time (four 10-hour days).  I have some weight  to lose in the process too... 25 pounds or so.  Looking forward to this!!

Jennifer

2008-12-20 5:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Good Afternoon Magda, I would like to train with your group. Currently I am signed up for the Redding Marathon on Jan 18 and then the Wildflower Long Course on 3 May. thanx
2008-12-20 7:12 PM

New user

Hi Magda,

My name is Madeleine and I am in Melbourne - gotta say that it is nice to see some Aussies here!

I would love to have a go at being in your group. The reason I have decided to start tri training is that I have finally quit smoking cigarettes and really want to have a go at seeing what my body can actually do when I am not actively killing it!!!!

I have been doing some basic training in running and swimming (no where near enough) and have just started cycling to work. So I am a total novice. We have a work team that is going to register for the BRW Corporate Tri here in Melbourne and I would love to be in good shape for that. I would also like to to a beginner tri sometime in February ideally. 

I guess it is time to simply start logging what I do in terms of dedicated tri training and go from there???

Thanks,

Madeleine

2008-12-21 6:53 AM
in reply to: #1864871

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

amykmo - 2008-12-21 5:07 AM Hi Magda -

Hi Amy! Welcome to the team! 

It sounds like you have some great goals. What distances are covered in the Danskin tri? Is the MS 150 bike ride 150 miles in length? What is hot yoga - sounds interesting! 

I think its fantastic that you have 3 young kids and are still managing to make time for yourself to exercise. It'll be inspirational for me to see how you get along, my husband and I are probably going to start a family soon and I am dreading what that will do to my "me" time!

Are there any local swim squads or tri clubs you can join to help with your swimming goal?

With regards to the weight loss - make small changes to your diet and try to stick to them and form new good habits. Then once they become ingrained, make some more changes! The weight will come off as you eat better and exercise more I found Weight Watchers was good for me for a time too, until I started training really hard.

Welcome to the team! Let me know how else I can help you. Make sure you log your exercise so I can keep tabs on you

2008-12-21 7:01 AM
in reply to: #1864989

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
sfpowers - 2008-12-21 7:12 AM

Hi, Eurydice --

I would LOVE to be in this group, as I'm already registered for my first sprint triathlon on May 10.  I re-started walk-jogging about a year ago, and did the  Myrtle Beach Half in 15s, then discovered, after a fall trail-running, that I've got an arthritic left knee...  so lots of PT, exercise, and a decision to do triathlons.  I've been working on the swimming and biking since, with less time on the walk-shuffling (which I think is sort of a write-off).  I did do the Royal Vic 8K in 14's, with the last mile at 12:47, which astounded me.  I'm really jived about this sprint, because I will be 70 in March. 

Mustang Mom

Hi! Welcome! Did you mean you'll be 70 years old in March? Thats amazing! You're an inspiration to me. I really hope to still be training when I get to that age!!!

Its great that you're registered for your first tri already, theres nothing like a looming deadline to make you work! I am sorry about your knee. I don't have much experience with injury, but I do take glucosamine, chondroitin and omega 3's and they help with achy joints. Don't worry too much about the walk-jogging, just get out there and do what you can. Start logging your exercise so I can keep an eye on your progress and let me know how I can help you

2008-12-21 7:06 AM
in reply to: #1865001

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
njcavill - 2008-12-21 7:22 AM

Hey Magda

How are you doing, very well I hope!?

I’d like to join up to looks like a great group is beginning to take shape. I’m Neil, 43 years of age from a city called Hull in England. I’m married to Jan and have two ace daughters Bethany 10, Jessie aged 7, both very excited about Christmas!

My story is mainly around running, been racing for about 5 years, I’m a steady club runner and have raced from 10k through to marathon distance. This year I did my first sprint triathlon which was fantastic. I struggled with the swim, my weak part, lost my bike in transition (!) but rode and ran pretty well! I want more of this, the plan this year is more sprints and then an Olympic. I’ve also just qualified as a Level One Coach with the British Triathlon Federation and will be coaching youngsters in 2009 which should be a blast! Here’s our website http://www.3xtri.com/index.php

My training is pretty erratic, good weeks bad weeks no consistency so I need to put that right and hook up with some fellow novices on here under the watchful eye of your good self!

Hope to jump aboard!

Neil

Hi Neil! Great to have you on board!!!

Wow looks like you have a fantastic running background, having done a marathon already, thats great! And you're going to be a coach, thats great, I'm sure we'll all benefit from your input on here!

Swimming is a weak leg for a lot of people. Is there a local squad or club you can join to help you work on your technique? Are there any places you could get some open water swimming practice in? (in summer of course!)

I find the key to consistency is making an appointment with yourself and sticking to it. The more you practice, the better you get at it.

Start logging your exercise and let me know how else I can help you!

2008-12-21 7:11 AM
in reply to: #1865039

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
SweetJLee - 2008-12-21 7:52 AM

HI!  Can I join your group too?

I could sure use some support and insight.  I set finishing a sprint triathlon as a goal for 2009.  Triathlon appealed to me for the variety of training.  I want a plan to get back in shape now that I'm done having kids (I have two - ages 6 and 3).  My current exercise regimen is sporadic at best!  The bummer is that I don't know a single person who does triathlon and can't talk a single one of my friends into trying one with me!  So I'm truly flying solo here!  I'd love to have a mentor in the sport.

Anyway, I'm 36, married, mother of two.  I'm an optometrist working full time (four 10-hour days).  I have some weight  to lose in the process too... 25 pounds or so.  Looking forward to this!!

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer! Welcome! Your work schedule sounds just like mine, I also work 4 X 10 hour days! A sprint triathlon is a great goal to have. Do you have a race in mind? With regards to finding some people to train with you, are there any local clubs you can join? A lot of places will also run training courses with a specific triathlon in mind, especially for women. With regards to consistency, make up a training diary and try to stick to it. You might want to consider one of the training plans on this website. Start logging your exercise and let me know how else I can help you

2008-12-21 7:13 AM
in reply to: #1865075

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

jrcody - 2008-12-21 8:30 AM Good Afternoon Magda, I would like to train with your group. Currently I am signed up for the Redding Marathon on Jan 18 and then the Wildflower Long Course on 3 May. thanx

Hi! Welcome! I've seen you around on the other boards. Great to have you on the team! So, 4 weeks from the marathon how are you feeling? On track? How will you cope with Christmas just around the corner?

2008-12-21 7:19 AM
in reply to: #1865205

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
madagaska - 2008-12-21 10:12 AM

I have been doing some basic training in running and swimming (no where near enough) and have just started cycling to work. So I am a total novice. We have a work team that is going to register for the BRW Corporate Tri here in Melbourne and I would love to be in good shape for that. I would also like to to a beginner tri sometime in February ideally. 

I guess it is time to simply start logging what I do in terms of dedicated tri training and go from there???

Thanks,

Madeleine

Hi Madeleine! Awesome, your name sounds like mine, my full name is Magdalena

Great to have you on the team and great to see some Aussies on here! There are quite a few of us on here

Big congratulations on giving up the cigarettes, what an excellent decision! You'll be amazed at what you can achieve with your body when its fit & healthy. The BRW Corporate Tri is fantastic. I haven't ever done it in Perth because its usually on at the same time as the annual Women's Tri here, but it looks like a lot of fun. And the distance is totally achievable. Is your work going to organise some training sessions? If not, I would try to train so that you can comfortably complete each distance, then then some. Try to train in each displine at least once a week, more if your body will allow. Ease yourself into it and don't do too much too soon.

Welcome to the team!

2008-12-21 7:24 AM
in reply to: #1865598

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
eurydice79 - 2008-12-21 5:13 AM

jrcody - 2008-12-21 8:30 AM Good Afternoon Magda, I would like to train with your group. Currently I am signed up for the Redding Marathon on Jan 18 and then the Wildflower Long Course on 3 May. thanx

Hi! Welcome! I've seen you around on the other boards. Great to have you on the team! So, 4 weeks from the marathon how are you feeling? On track? How will you cope with Christmas just around the corner?

Good Morning, I have a solid base for the run and I think that I am on pace for a solid 5 hour finish. thanx for having me on your team!!
2008-12-21 7:28 PM
in reply to: #1865608

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
jrcody - 2008-12-21 10:24 PM
eurydice79 - 2008-12-21 5:13 AM

Good Morning, I have a solid base for the run and I think that I am on pace for a solid 5 hour finish. thanx for having me on your team!!

5 hours is excellent. A marathon is something on my life to-do list! I will do one, one day, currently need to focus on HIM though! And thats about how long it would take me as well. Best of luck you'll do just brilliant I am sure! Keep us posted

2008-12-21 7:42 PM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Subject: RE: Eurydice79 (Magda's) Group - room for THREE more!

SweetJLee and sfpowers - set up a training log/blog on here so I can keep tabs on you

2008-12-22 9:23 AM
in reply to: #1866380

User image

West Orange NJ

Hi, Magda -

I thiiiiiink  I've got the log so you can see it.  It's outrageously cold in New Jersey at this point.  Overdid with my knee last week between walking and hauling decorations around, so will be easy on the walking this week. 

My middle daughter is a vet also!  She's at the St. Louis Zoo -- wanted to be a vet from the time she was 12.  

2008-12-22 11:51 AM
in reply to: #1867109

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
sfpowers - 2008-12-22 7:23 AM

Hi, Magda -

I thiiiiiink  I've got the log so you can see it.  It's outrageously cold in New Jersey at this point.  Overdid with my knee last week between walking and hauling decorations around, so will be easy on the walking this week. 

My middle daughter is a vet also!  She's at the St. Louis Zoo -- wanted to be a vet from the time she was 12.  

Once you get your log set up if you put the link into your signature line it makes it really easy for everyone to follow your progress

2008-12-22 3:35 PM

Name: Val

Story: Hi, my name is Val. I am a 46y old Pediatric Cardiologist. I do not have much of an athletic background but ran cross country in school. I have had long standing knee problems that limit running. Triathlon (and good shoes) was the answer to most of my knee problems.

My time is limited but I have enjoyed 3 years of triathlon training and racing (sprint tri, 5k 10k and 1/2 mary). My goals are for fitness and maintaining a healthy weight. I would, of course, like to improve my racing times.

Aside from a busy clinical practice with unpredictable hours I have been married for 10y. I am active in training and showing dogs. This is a hobby I share with my aging parents.

As you can see, I have a full life. My biggest problem is consistancy in training.

My goals for 2009: Consistancy and focus. Pick 1 or 2 key races (raced too much last year)

Given my lifestyle I need training plans that allow flexibility and are targeted for sprint distances. I would like to maintain running fitness to do one or two 1/2marathons next year. I find I "tri" better with with a stronger running base (long runs of 8-10mi).

I have joined a running club for company and motivation. I have signed up for a spin class for triathletes for times when riding outside is not an option. A master swin is available at my gym.

I have noticed that I need to build slowly or I am injury prone (age I guess). My last 1/2 mary was last month. I had a bad case of ITB syndome and limped home the last part of the race. I have been somewhat discouraged given the "bad" race. Never the less, the pain is gone and I am ready to start over.

I would enjoy sharing my experience and questions of BT'ers of similar experience, age and time constraints.

2008-12-22 3:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal

Hi Magda and all already in the group!

Name:  Krystyna

Story:  I am 20 years old and started training for my first triathlon by accident just last March. I had surgery on a torn ACL and meniscus from a soccer injury and at first did swimming to strengthen my leg again, then biking, and then I returned to running and soccer. 6 months post surgery and I had run my first triathlon (Olympic distance). I live in Quebec, where the snow piles high in the winter time, so I am very much limited to swimming from November to March, but I am going to try my hardest to layer up and go running outdoors. Indoor running on treadmills or spin classes do not tempt me in the least! By next May-June, my plans are to complete the Muskoka triathlon, which is a longer than Olympic but shorter than half-ironman (I think it is 2km swim, 55km bike, 15km run).

Current Training:  It being winter, I swim 7-9 times a week, min 2000 metres each time. 1-2 of those times are masters swimming programs. Once spring hits, I bike 5 times a week and run 1 maybe 2 times a week (I can't do much more as the stress on my meniscus-free knee prevents me from doing so).

Weightloss:  I have no weight loss goals, as I have always been in good physical condition. I have 2 goals: completing longer and longer triathlon distances and improving my times, and improving my swimming strokes, biking speed and running speed and distance.

2008-12-22 6:38 PM
in reply to: #1867529

User image

West Orange NJ

Test to see if I can link to log in signature.

It's C.O.L.D. in New Jersey!  Good day to be inside at the health club. 

2008-12-23 9:00 AM
in reply to: #1868451

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
sfpowers - 2008-12-22 4:38 PM

Test to see if I can link to log in signature.

It's C.O.L.D. in New Jersey!  Good day to be inside at the health club. 

The link works but it is your main page not your workout log. Let us try it one more time

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eurydice79 (Magda's) Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 15