General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Losing weight v. losing body fat Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-12-21 1:50 PM

User image

Expert
San Gabriel Valley, California
Subject: Losing weight v. losing body fat

I know the rule of thumb for losing weight - 1-2 pounds per week is considered a good rate.  I have never heard any such rule of thumb for losing body fat.  I have about 20 pounds to lost, but I am at 40% body fat and ought to be around 25% (I think - not really sure).  What is a realistic time frame for going from 40% body fat to 25%?  I imagine that the equation is complicated by the fact that muscle is more dense than fat and so for unit measurement to unit measurement, muscle weighs more than fat. 

Thanks.

Leah 

2008-12-21 2:41 PM
in reply to: #1865908

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Jordan UT
Subject: RE: Losing weight v. losing body fat
Yes, 1-2 lbs a week is pretty good. Though I don't like to see my clients loose more than one a week, just because I don't want them losing any muscle. Yes, 25% bodyfat would be a good goal and the time frame is the same as any other weight loss. 1-2 pounds a week. It is primarily your habits and weight loss methods that will determine whether those pounds are fat or muscle. Here are some basics that I tell my clients.

1. Get 3-4 30-45 min good weight training sessions in a week.
2. Fill in the rest of the recommended 6 hours of workout with cardio of varying intensity.
3. Eat well and eat often. Try to eat a nutrient packed meal every 2-3 hours.
4. Make sure to get 15-20 grams of protein into you within 20 minutes of a workout.
5. Get enough sleep.
6. Take at least one complete rest day each week.

Have fun!
2008-12-21 8:50 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
Leah,   You are killing me with this question.  It is a tough one for dang sure.  It depends on what you are doing to lose the weight.  Are you weight training to gain muscle?  Or are you just dieting?  Dieting will make you lose muscle as well as fat,  but weight training will be building muscle (weight gain) while losing fat weight.  Your weight itself may or may not change due to muscle gain.  The best way IMHO to lose fat is to do cardio as well as weight or body weight exercises.   Clean eating,  cut out junk food and simple carbs, will go a long way to cutting fat and helping to improve muscle.  Let me know if I can be more specific.  The biggest question is what you are willing to commit too?
2008-12-21 9:33 PM

User image

Champion
MA
LeahDD - 2008-12-21 2:50 PM

I know the rule of thumb for losing weight - 1-2 pounds per week is considered a good rate.  I have never heard any such rule of thumb for losing body fat.  I have about 20 pounds to lost, but I am at 40% body fat and ought to be around 25% (I think - not really sure).  What is a realistic time frame for going from 40% body fat to 25%?  I imagine that the equation is complicated by the fact that muscle is more dense than fat and so for unit measurement to unit measurement, muscle weighs more than fat. 

Thanks.

Leah 

Leah,

I think setting a time frame can be dangerous as it can set up the all or nothing thinking. I like to say it is a life style change and that it isn't a diet but a way of life. It takes as long as it does. The faster you lose weight more likely you'll lose more muscle mass than losing it more slowly and gradually.

Also how do you know your body fat %? Many methods aren't to accurate so that is why I asked. I have been pinched, dunked in water tank, electric impedance and all had my lean body mass withing a pound or two and my body fat % within 1%.

I think doing a variety of carido at different intensities as well as strength training (especially for us over 40 women) is the key to keep or build muscle while losing fat. Women really don't put on muscle that easily so I'm not talking body builder type muscle..just healthy muscle mass.

2009-01-01 11:31 AM

User image

Expert
San Gabriel Valley, California

I'm really committed to a program of both cardio (swimming, biking and running, natch, each 2x per week) for the new year, plus strength training (Crossfit 2x per week and 90 minutes of Bikram yoga 2x per week).  I'm now down to about 155 and think I ought to be at 140, so that's "only" about 15 pounds to go.  I am still at (this morning on an impedance scale) 39% body fat.  (I seem to fluctuate between 37-40%, no matter what my weight is.)   I have A LOT of body fat and I sort of suspect that I will need to be a whole lot lighter than 140 to get my body fat down to 25%. 

If I keep strong with Weight Watchers, the No Sugar Challenge and the outrageous workout schedule I have set out for myself, I believe I can be at 140 or 145 by the end of February.  I just don't know what to expect in terms of losing body fat.   I have this dread that I will reach my weight loss goal of 140 and STILL be 39% body fat. 

I have never paid attention to body fat in any of my other weight loss adventures.  This time I am and find that it doesn't seem to make perfect sense.  I guess I will have to just continue and see what happens.

Thanks for the responses.  Sorry I didn't see them earlier.  Have a happy new year!

Leah 

2009-01-02 2:45 AM
in reply to: #1881106

User image

Veteran
Dayton, OH
LeahDD - 2009-01-01 12:31 PM

I'm really committed to a program of both cardio (swimming, biking and running, natch, each 2x per week) for the new year, plus strength training (Crossfit 2x per week and 90 minutes of Bikram yoga 2x per week).  I'm now down to about 155 and think I ought to be at 140, so that's "only" about 15 pounds to go.  I am still at (this morning on an impedance scale) 39% body fat.  (I seem to fluctuate between 37-40%, no matter what my weight is.)   I have A LOT of body fat and I sort of suspect that I will need to be a whole lot lighter than 140 to get my body fat down to 25%. 

If I keep strong with Weight Watchers, the No Sugar Challenge and the outrageous workout schedule I have set out for myself, I believe I can be at 140 or 145 by the end of February.  I just don't know what to expect in terms of losing body fat.   I have this dread that I will reach my weight loss goal of 140 and STILL be 39% body fat. 

I have never paid attention to body fat in any of my other weight loss adventures.  This time I am and find that it doesn't seem to make perfect sense.  I guess I will have to just continue and see what happens.

Thanks for the responses.  Sorry I didn't see them earlier.  Have a happy new year!

Leah 

You know, having fears is ok (with BF percentage), but until you realize that failure is a common occurance, or should I say struggle is common in all athletics, you're just setting yourself up for a bigger disappointment... There are many things to revel in when you consider this journey, sure weightloss, muscle mass, or BF in general are obvious, but how about the lifestyle of becoming a new person psychologically + athletically? There are always rewards if you work hard but they don't all come at the tip of scale needle. For instance, skinny pants! Faster s/b/r times. New friends, and the feeling of accomplishment. If you have fun along the way, I think you'll enjoy the journey a lot more.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Losing weight v. losing body fat Rss Feed