General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Doc says stop running.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-12-27 5:42 PM

Subject: Doc says stop running....

Hi,

I was looking for some advice on my injury issue.  I have two doctors.  One is the doctor for the Chargers the other just a regular orthopedic surgeon.  

The regular doc said I need to stop running, walking too far, etc because of my extreme chondromalacia in my left knee and the start of it in my right.  He said if I keep pounding away at them eventually I won't be very well off.  

Now the Chargers doc says do whatever I feel comfortable with.  I used to play football and the thinking is make it through the game or season and deal with everything later.  So yeah I might make it to my first triathlon with his help but I may not be able to wallk very well later.

All that being said...eventually I'm not going to be able to walk great in some years anyway...and will eventually need two new knees.

Has anyone gone through something like this?  Any suggestions?  Any pain relieving techniques besides mass quantities of pain killers, synvisc injections and cortizone injections.

Edited by verbity 2008-12-27 5:44 PM

2008-12-28 11:29 AM
in reply to: #1873785

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
Subject: RE: Doc says stop running....
Sorry about your knees. Mine have taken a similar pounding. Had my first operation 30+ years ago and have gotten to the point where there is no more articular cartilage in the left knee and a little in the right. My orthopedic friends have essentially said that the damage is done, and an eventual knee replacement is inevitable, so they have recommended doing whatever I can do and being limited only by pain.
That said, there are a lot of things you can do to prolong your triathlon career. Quad strengthening is imperative - I like the nautilus type leg extension machine - I find squats way to stressful. I also find that if I plan a run, a short spin on the trainer before will loosen up the joint and decrease the pain. Deep water running is a great way to work on form and gain aerobic fitness without impact. Without opening a can of worms, I will say that the science behind supplements and synvisc/euflexxa injections is at best equivocal. If it works for you, go for it. It does not work for me but I take my glucosamine/chondroitin everyday anyway. I have also had synvisc injection series before IMF 2005. I think the steroid/lidocaine injection helped more, YMMV. If you use nonsteroidals like ibuprofen on race day, be careful to use them during training as well. I also got some knee wraps that the orthos give post-replacement patients and find them a much easier way to ice at night. I used to marvel at the old guys zipping along with their horrendous varus knee deformities til someone told me I had become one of them. I've come to grips with the concept that I enjoy triathlon so much that I'll go til I can't do it any more, then think about aquavelo type trainig.
Hope that helps.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Doc says stop running.... Rss Feed