General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post Evening Workout Eating Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-04 9:35 PM

User image

New Haven, CT
Subject: Post Evening Workout Eating

I try not to eat anything after 8 PM since my wife told me that it is bad for me and she is thin and one of those people who are satisfied after eating 2 M&Ms.  Me, the bag is the limit.  However... after a lengthy workout (such as the 1:50 trainer ride I just completed) it seems a recovery shake or something is in order.  Thus, I had a Smoothie (2 scoops of low cal chocolate muscle milk, 1c. blueberries, 1 c. skim milk).  Yes, it VERY yummy and have this concoction when craving something worse. 

Am I harming my weightloss in the hopes of aiding recovery?  Thanks for your thoughts.

2009-01-04 10:10 PM
in reply to: #1886018

User image

Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: Post Evening Workout Eating
Calories in vs. calories out really are the key to weight loss.  Just because your wife is thin doesn't make her the expert in weight loss.  I have very thin friends who gorge on Taco Bell at any hour of the day or night.  Certainly, I wouldn't pig out late at night because it can disrupt your sleep cycles which in itself can sabotage your weight loss efforts (which I understand, I've lost 38 lbs over the last 7 months) because you are more likely to give in to cravings when you are tired but fueling post workout is quite key to your bodies ability to repair and recover.  Your shake sounds great to me! 
2009-01-05 8:59 AM

I usually don't get home until pretty late after working out, and I try to go to bed fairly early, so that means eating late and then having to go to bed maybe an hour or so later. When I'm in full-on training mode, which I'm getting back into now, I'll eat a small snack before I work out and then have a light dinner - protein and some veggies. Eating after 8 pm is sometimes a necessity for those of us who work long hours and train. I don't know that eating ANYTHING after 8 pm "makes you fatter", but I wouldn't necessarily have a huge meal and then go to bed. What I would do, if you have time to eat dinner befor you work out - split up your meal and eat a smaller meal at dinner and then have a light recovery snack after your workout. I don't have time before my workouts, so I flip-flop it, but it's the same idea - some lean protein and carbs after an intense workout.

If you are looking to lose weight, as others said, it's calories in vs calories out. Smoothies and shakes can be deceptionally calorie heavy, esp. if you are drinking a large one, and esp. that close to going to sleep. If you are not losing any weight, you might consider cutting it in half. It also isn't clear what/how you eat during the day. Ideally, smaller meals spread throughout the day are what you want to aim for.

PS - I'm thin and I'm not satisfied after eating 2 M&Ms - that's not normal!! Make sure you don't starve yourself, but it might take some tweaking to get it right.

2009-01-05 9:03 AM

User image

Davenport, IA
jsklarz - 2009-01-04 9:35 PM

I try not to eat anything after 8 PM since my wife told me that it is bad for me and she is thin and one of those people who are satisfied after eating 2 M&Ms.  Me, the bag is the limit.  However... after a lengthy workout (such as the 1:50 trainer ride I just completed) it seems a recovery shake or something is in order.  Thus, I had a Smoothie (2 scoops of low cal chocolate muscle milk, 1c. blueberries, 1 c. skim milk).  Yes, it VERY yummy and have this concoction when craving something worse. 

Am I harming my weightloss in the hopes of aiding recovery?  Thanks for your thoughts.

Even if losing weight is your goal you need those calories, and especially that protein.  Losing weight is good, but losing weight from burning up all your muscle is bad.  And if you do anything slow your recovery you are going to hurt your next workout.  Keep up on the shakes it doesn't sound like there should be all that many calories in what you're drinking anyway, but should be a decent amount of protein.

However, I am no dietician, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

2009-01-05 1:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Traverse City, MI
I agree with what everyone above is saying. I would like to re-emphasize the calories in vs. out fact though. When I started trying to loose weight, I did it wrong. I skipped breakfast, would prolong time between meals (essentially starve myself) and then usually gorge at night - but with healthy foods for the most part. I kept pretty active and still lost weight. I've since learned my lesson and have reversed the intake volume of my meals, however I still have to eat at least 200-300 calories before bed or I get overly hungry at like 4:00 AM. It's usually an piece of fruit, yogurt, and low-fat cottage cheese and the sack. Some might call it a bad idea for weight loss, but as long as you compensating, your fine.
2009-01-05 5:03 PM
in reply to: #1887266

User image

New Haven, CT

Thanks everyone, some helpful points.  To flesh out some points which may further discussion: 

• I agree that calories in/out is the key.  However, there are many studies on the effect of late night eating and that basically a generality is try not to if you can avoid it.
  • I have started logging my food again (doing on my blog in my BT log not using the nutrition function as it takes too long)
  • The shake is about 400 calories (195 c. from muscle milk protein powder, 100 from skim milk, 100 from fruit). 
  • I try to consume 2400-2600 kcal. daily.  If I stay in this range I lose weight.  2800-3000 I don't lose weight. +3000 I gain.
  • I try and eat every 2-3 hours during the day to "stay fueled"
  • If I stay away from dessert I lose weight. 
  • My wife is "healthy thin", would never touch taco bell (she's a vegetarian), does yoga or pilates daily and is just one of those revolting people who has their act together from a nutritional standpoint.

Thanks for the help!

2009-01-05 9:36 PM
in reply to: #1887759

User image

Expert
Weymouth, MA
jsklarz - 2009-01-05 6:03 PM

Thanks everyone, some helpful points.  To flesh out some points which may further discussion: 

• I agree that calories in/out is the key.  However, there are many studies on the effect of late night eating and that basically a generality is try not to if you can avoid it.
  • I have started logging my food again (doing on my blog in my BT log not using the nutrition function as it takes too long)
  • The shake is about 400 calories (195 c. from muscle milk protein powder, 100 from skim milk, 100 from fruit). 
  • I try to consume 2400-2600 kcal. daily.  If I stay in this range I lose weight.  2800-3000 I don't lose weight. +3000 I gain.
  • I try and eat every 2-3 hours during the day to "stay fueled"
  • If I stay away from dessert I lose weight. 
  • My wife is "healthy thin", would never touch taco bell (she's a vegetarian), does yoga or pilates daily and is just one of those revolting people who has their act together from a nutritional standpoint.

Thanks for the help!

Hey my man, congrats on giving it your all towards weight loss.  You'll get there.  One thing I would add is that while a recovery meal is vital 400 calories might be a bit too much.  I would lower that to around 250 or so.  1.5 hours doesn't warrant another full sized meal.  The shake itself is nutritionally sound - just a bit too much.  Cut it all by about half so it'll still have the same taste you like.  Drink a big fat glass of water before it so you feel about the same fullness.  Also, depending on what amount of workout hours you are logging you may be able to get away with 2,000-2,200 calories.  Consciencely (sp?) eating 2,400 is not bad but over the course of a week you will cheat at times so make the daily goal a bit lower.  Just something I found that worked for me when I was getting back in shape.  Again, best of luck!

Edited by rcberto 2009-01-05 9:38 PM
2009-01-06 2:56 AM
in reply to: #1888415

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

First, before we go any farther, we need you to post a pic of your wife...purely for research reasons...you understandWink...anyway I feel your pain about not eating late. It's especially hard when your a firefighter paramedic, who may be up at any / all hours of the night ( as I am right now) but at the same time, expected to maintain normal hours when your off duty / work. Thanks for starting this thread, I'll be following it to see what great advice comes up form our fellow BT brothers and sisters.

2009-01-06 6:19 AM
in reply to: #1888637

User image

New Haven, CT
ditchdoc - 2009-01-06 3:56 AM

First, before we go any farther, we need you to post a pic of your wife...purely for research reasons...you understandWink...anyway I feel your pain about not eating late. It's especially hard when your a firefighter paramedic, who may be up at any / all hours of the night ( as I am right now) but at the same time, expected to maintain normal hours when your off duty / work. Thanks for starting this thread, I'll be following it to see what great advice comes up form our fellow BT brothers and sisters.

My wife would kill me if I started posting pictures of her on BT.  Besides I can't figure out how to shrink picture sizes sufficiently to upload them anyhow (hence why I don't even have an avatar).

2009-01-06 6:22 AM
in reply to: #1888415

User image

New Haven, CT

Hey my man, congrats on giving it your all towards weight loss.  You'll get there.  One thing I would add is that while a recovery meal is vital 400 calories might be a bit too much.  I would lower that to around 250 or so.  1.5 hours doesn't warrant another full sized meal.  The shake itself is nutritionally sound - just a bit too much.  Cut it all by about half so it'll still have the same taste you like.  Drink a big fat glass of water before it so you feel about the same fullness.  Also, depending on what amount of workout hours you are logging you may be able to get away with 2,000-2,200 calories.  Consciencely (sp?) eating 2,400 is not bad but over the course of a week you will cheat at times so make the daily goal a bit lower.  Just something I found that worked for me when I was getting back in shape.  Again, best of luck!

Good idea cutting the shake by half when I have to workout late.  I could also swap out the milk for water, but that would lose the nutrient value of milk.

Edited by jsklarz 2009-01-06 6:22 AM
2009-01-06 1:15 PM

User image

Expert
Weymouth, MA
Yeah, you need those electrolytes and protein for sure.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post Evening Workout Eating Rss Feed