General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Okay, I signed up for my first HIM. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-05 8:19 PM

Master
Charlotte, NC
Subject: Okay, I signed up for my first HIM.

I am so scared if I can do the whole dustance.  I know I can run 13/1 miles.  I am not so sure after swimming 1.2 miles (which I am pretty sure I can do albeit slowly) and biking 56 MILES (which I am terrified about).  I have no idea if I can bike that far.  My HIM is in May so give me your best newbie advice.  (And convince me I can do this.Surprised

2009-01-05 8:43 PM
in reply to: #1888224

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Okay, I signed up for my first HIM.
tricrazy - 2009-01-05 6:19 PM

I am so scared if I can do the whole dustance.  I know I can run 13/1 miles.  I am not so sure after swimming 1.2 miles (which I am pretty sure I can do albeit slowly) and biking 56 MILES (which I am terrified about).  I have no idea if I can bike that far.  My HIM is in May so give me your best newbie advice.  (And convince me I can do this.Surprised

You'll be fine. You have plenty of time to prepare. The main thing is to follow a training plan and MAKE SURE you hit ALL the key bike workouts.

Here's an awful secret I'm sure some will disagree with, but ... you can kind of fake your way through a marathon or a 1/2 IM. Anything beyond that, you're actually going to have to follow the prep pretty close to the letter.

That's just to say, congrats and you can do it! Follow the plan!

2009-01-05 9:08 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

You CAN do this. 

Patience.  Patience with training (so you don't get injured), and patience with the race (so you don't blow-up) and you'll do fine, even if you're "slow." 

Find a training plan (upgrade to BT's Bronze plan for a basic HIM plan) or make your own using the principles of The Triathlete Training Bible. 

If you're worried about the bike, plan on growing your long rides to 3-3.5 hours a month before your race (not sure if you're racing in early May or late May, so I'm staying away from calendar references).  3.5 hours gives you a 16 mph split for the 56 miles, which is certainly within the range of "doable"  If you're a little slower on race day, that's probably not a problem.  Follow at least one or two of the long rides with a 30 minute run. 

Finally, focus on what success will look like.  What would you look like pedaling back into T2 after 56 miles, and use that as motivation to get out and ride (after all, someone getting to T2 of a HIM has to get out and ride some

2009-01-06 9:03 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Thanks for posting this as I'm growing into nervous as well as the days approach to Day ONE of my HIM training plan.  My first HIM is Boise, June 13.

The funny thing is I'm most nervous about the bike.  I guess I have never been speedy and worry it will take me 4 hours and the carpet will be rolled up by the time I get to the finish, so am trying to psych myself up for some serious saddle time these next few months.

I'm following the 20 week HIM plan offered on the BT site ......

2009-01-06 9:11 AM

User image

Expert
Chicago
A. You *can* do this.
B. You *will* do this.

Like you, biking is not my strong suit. At all. I did 2 HIM's last year and my bike time dropped about 40 minutes (although my bike time was still pretty crappy even after the improvement). I'm kind of excited to see what I can hammer out this year. I'm really aiming for a HIM where I can consistently keep my average speed above 15.5.

Are you working with a coach or following an online plan? If it's a coach, talk to them about your concerns and have them tailor the workouts to build up your strength on the bike.

You definitely want to consider a bike-focused plan if you have that option. Getting the time in the saddle makes a world of difference in your confidence and performance. Trust me on this one, sweetie.

I'm not sure what the weather's like in Charlotte this time of year, but the more outdoor rides you can squeeze in now, the better. Some of us in the super cold states have to rely on the trainer, dying to be outside...so if you can, get on the roads.

Remember...at the end of the day, it's just a race. It's not about winning. It's about going out there, HAVING FUN, and getting it done.

My coach gives me two goals in any race...
1. Have fun.
2. Finish.

If finishing becomes the #1 goal, then the miles become a chore. But if I focus on having fun, everything seems to slip by and I'm in transition before I know it. Simple theory, but it works for me.
2009-01-06 11:37 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
I "ditto" what everyone else has said, and have one other thing to add.
If you can, go on a practice ride of the actual bike course you'll be racing on. Go to the website, print off the map, and ride the course! That way, you'll be more confident knowing where the hills are, the turns, the flats, etc. Practice your nutrition on this ride as well. When/what will you eat? Does it sit with your tummy on this long of a ride?

And hey, since you are already at the race site, practice a transition and tag on a run after the bike on the run course. I did this 2x before my first HIM, and 1x before my second HIM, and they made a WORLD of difference, knowing I'd already conquered the bike course!

Good luck, you can do it!

2009-01-07 1:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.

Hey! I am in the same boat as you but doing my first HIM the next weekend (same race as you, different weekend). I am both super excited and a little freaked out. I have nothing constructive to say (having never done this before) other than to let you know that others are out there with similar fears. My big fear is the run. I have done a couple of half marathons before and they were hard. How are you supposed to run one after the swim and the bike! Yikes! Anyway, when I get worried I remind myself to set my run goal time really low and even consider factoring in a minute or two of walking every mile. Once I realize that finishing is more important than finishing fast, it doesn't seem so bad. And we have time to train and get those long training days in. Good luck.

Oh, and if nothing else helps,  you can do what I did in the dream I had the night I signed up- check into a motel for a nap in the middle of the bike when you realize you didn't take any nutrition and drink with you! :-)

2009-01-11 11:24 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
tricrazy - 2009-01-05 8:19 PM

I am so scared if I can do the whole dustance. I know I can run 13/1 miles. I am not so sure after swimming 1.2 miles (which I am pretty sure I can do albeit slowly) and biking 56 MILES (which I am terrified about). I have no idea if I can bike that far. My HIM is in May so give me your best newbie advice. (And convince me I can do this.) Surprised

Train. You can do it if you train. You have a plan you are following? If not, get one and follow it. And don't miss training days.

Good luck!

2009-01-12 8:25 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs

You can do this!

My first HIM (and third tri EVER) was the Savageman Triathlon

The bike course of the SavageMan Half is extreme and is legitimately the toughest 56 mile bike in triathlon with 5800 feet of climbing nearly all gained in the middle 30 miles and 7 climbs with pitches in excess of 15%. It is a course that leaves no one unimpressed and no one unhappy, but it is also a course not to underestimate.

I was not - and still am not! - a cyclist.  My background is in swimming and running.  It was a long day but I FINISHED!

Follow a training plan - BT has a few good ones for HIMs! - and you will be fine... no, better than fine - GREAT!

2009-01-13 11:44 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN

If you follow a reasonable training plan, there is no quesiton in my mind you can do this.  During your training I'm sure you'll be able to find a pace in the swim and bike that you will feel confident you can maintain such that you have something left for the run.  A slower pace will allow you to have fun. 

My first HIM is in August.

2009-01-13 12:30 PM

Master
Good luck with your first HIM!

I reiterate what everyone else has said. Find a good training plan and you will be fine. I did my first Olympic a few years ago and thought that riding 56 miles was insane! Who would want to do that. After doing a HIM and an Iron Distance race, you will eventually work your way up.

Think about when you first started running and the idea of doing 8,10 and 13 miles was crazy but you took the time to work up to that distance. The swimming and the biking are the same thing. Just be patient with your training and you will be great.

The best piece of advice someone gave me about my first HIM was just finish. Afterwards you can think about the areas that you can improve on. The main thing is crossing that finish.

Good luck and we look forward to reading your race report!

2009-01-13 5:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lewisville
Congrats... biggest thing for me was getting the nutrition right. It's a whole new ballgame with a HIM compared to an Oly or Sprint. I took in way too many calories on the bike and cramped up pretty good at the beginning of the run. I'd spend some time trying different things, and making sure you have a nutrition plan in place for the race.
2009-01-17 1:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, New Zealand

Congratulations!!  Now you have a goal to work towards :-)

You can definately do it!!!

2009-01-17 9:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Signing up is the first big step...now you have a goal to work for. I always work better under pressure. I know if the race is paid for I better get my training in. Find a plan and follow it the best you can...don't panic if you need to stray from it a little but get the key workouts in.

You can definitely do this!

2009-01-20 1:59 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-01-26 8:21 AM

Veteran
Rota, Spain
I am in the same boat.  Just signed up for HIM Germany(my first 70.3) in August.  I started my training program early so that I repeat the last month a couple of times for maintenance.  Now it 's just a matter of swimming, biking, running, smiling...

2009-01-26 10:56 AM

Yeah did first half last year  the one mistake I made is nutrition.   I did not practice it enough will not make that mistake this year already working on it now for the season!    The one other thing that I would say is that if biking is your weakness then that should be the focal point in the plan that you choose and be patient and all will turn out peachy! 
2009-01-26 2:09 PM
in reply to: #1929105

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.

dlltfw - 2009-01-26 11:56 AM Yeah did first half last year  the one mistake I made is nutrition.   I did not practice it enough will not make that mistake this year already working on it now for the season!    The one other thing that I would say is that if biking is your weakness then that should be the focal point in the plan that you choose and be patient and all will turn out peachy! 

Not to hijack the thread (well, OK, hijacking it a little but it is still relevant so hopefully its not annoying) I'm very worried about nutrition as well. Do you have any nuggets of wisdom on that front for a HIM?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Okay, I signed up for my first HIM. Rss Feed