BT Development Mentor Program Archives » stevebradley's Mentor Group FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 264

2009-01-09 7:37 AM

User image

Champion
Subject: stevebradley's Mentor Group FULL
NAME: stevebradley/Steve Bradley

STORY: A tibial stress fracture on Jan. 1, '00 (humbug on the Millenium....) forced me away from pure running and into the blissful world of multisport. I did my first three triathlons late in the '00, added five more in '01, another seven in '02......and the count is now 60 triathlons, 8 duathlons, and 7 aquabikes. Of the triathlons, there are 2 irons, 14 half-irons, a handful of oddball hybrid distances, and the rest pretty evenly split between sprints and olympic/international. I love the competitiveness of racing, but of just about equal importance to me is the camaraderie - the people met, the friends made. There are many Sweet Spots in the world, but right at the top of my list would be transition zones in the hours leading up to a race, where the human electricity is palpable.

FAMILY STATUS: I turn 60 in a few days (Jan. 13) -- praise be the new age group to help buffer the shock! I am married (of the 34-years variety), and have two "kids" (24 and 22) and a sweet octogenerian dog. I am retired (since June '07) from a career as a teacher, mostly at the elementary level, so I am now generally footloose and fancy-free. I live in the country, the flat farmlands east of Ottawa, Ontario.

CURRENT TRAINING: Self-trained, although with the HUGE caveat that for 3-plus years I was coached by Erik Cagnina of D3 Multisport. That was the best investment I have ever made, and I still implement into my training any of a number of workouts that Erik posted for me over those years.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2008 found me racing eleven times. There were two obsessive/compulsive events -- DoubleMussel 88.7 (Saturday sprint, Sunday half-iron) and the Triple Challenge (super-sprint Saturday; 6am sprint and 9am olympic Sunday) at the Chicago Triathlon. The rest were three olys and three sprints ---- although the last race of the season was a DNF!! I podiumed at 8 of the 10 completed races, so it was a very solid season.

2009 RACES: Nothing is truly carved in stone, although one of my daughter's xmas presents to me was entry into the NYC Triathlon (did it in '05, keen to return). The week before that will be Musselman half-iron, and the week before THAT will be all three events of the new Black Fly Tri.
I will maybe start the season with the Duathlon Nationals in Richmond. May will see me at Bassman sprint, Harryman oly, and hopefully Fly-By-Night Du, with June slated for Mooseman int'l and Tupper Lake sprint. Plans for August and beyond are still too amoebic to try to define.

WEIGHTLOSS: At 6'2" (and shrinking), I am at 180 this morning. It used to be that I would make it to 168-170 during race season, but this past season I never got under 175. Maybe serious strength training last winter and spring altered my mass, or possibly my metabolism is shifting as I age. I raced well with the extra weight, however, so I'm not too concerned. Getting back closer to the low 170s for the '09 season might be nice, but I'm not going to work very hard at it. (For the record, my peak weight was 198, in May '98.)

GOOD MENTOR?: I've been around the multisport block a few times, and have a wide array of experience and knowledge (I am also a Level One USAT coach, although my technological deficiencies have prevented me from implementing myself as a formal coach). I have also experienced a wide array of injuries, so I understand the pitfalls and pratfalls of over-training, as well as the myriad approaches to recovery that are too often part of my (our) passion. Although I now have just about all the time in the world to train, it wasn't all that long ago that I faced the problems of fitting workouts into the fissures of my other lives - family and work; that is, I understand the need for balance. Running and cycling are my strengths, swimming is a work-in-progress (my own Sistine Chapel, it seems....), and strength-training is an insidiousy delightful pleasure, done for the sake of multisport functionality rather than "simply" bulking-up. Multisport is a joyfully rewarding lifestyle for me, and has been for a long while now.

2009-01-13 12:38 PM
in reply to: #1896958

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Stevebradley's Mentor Group OPEN

Hi Steve,

I have been a borderline couch potato for several years. Back in college I ran a few 5-mile runs and they were fun. I kept in shape for the births of my 4 kids, but a sedentary life has set in. Now the kids are 22, 19, 14, and 10, and I just turned 48. I'm overweight and move around like my 82 year old mother. I want to loose weight and get into shape.

Why a triathalon? I ruptured a disk last summer and the physical therapist encouraged me to try triathalons. Plus I like variety. I registered for a sprint triathalon that is in June so I figured I have a bit of time to get into shape.

Currently I've been walking (high intensity on a treadmill) on and off about twice a week (I know, pretty pitiful). I try to run but can't manage to stay balanced enough to run very long. I just purchased a bike (Giant). It is not for speed and winning, but for comfort. I don't care too much about winning, just about finishing.

I have access to an indoor pool about twice a week but I haven't ventured there yet.

I chose you because you were a teacher, you are older (that is a benefit you know), and you understand the demands of a full time working mom and wife.  My husband and I have been married for 22 years.

I hope we can work together.

Patty Marco

2009-01-13 7:05 PM

User image

Master

Hi Steve...I was hoping I could join your group. I see that you have had a lot of experience with multisport and I like the idea of being held accountable through the logs. 

NAME: sax/Neil

STORY: I have been an athlete my entire life.  My mom say's she had me in the pool since I was a few months old.  I swam all the way up until high school where I eventually made the choice to play football (same practice times).  I also raced BMX bikes from about 8 till 15 when I started driving.  Never much of a long distance runner but playing football, baseball, soccer I got lots of shorter running in.  Then I joined the Navy and became a rescue swimmer.  I got to swim daily there for 5 years before getting a ROTC scholarship.  In college I ran the outdoors club and the SEAL prep program.  I trained for 4 yrs to get my slot at BUD's (Navy SEAL trng), although I never did get there.  After college I joined the Navy again as an officer for 6 more years and now am a Sales rep for Johnson & Johnson living in Los Angeles.

FAMILY STATUS: I will be 33 this year on the same weekend I do my first HIM! IMCA 70.3  I have been married for 5 years and my wife is very supportive of anything I do.  We have no kids right now.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently self trained, but I do have a degree in Sports Administration and have had lots of experience training others when I was in the Navy...BUT...not for Triathlon, so I know I need help there.  This distance stuff is all new to me.  I have been logging since the fall of 08 so you can check there for my current plan.

2008 RACES: For my very first race (at 206lbs) I signed up with a friend for an off road sprint and got my arse handed to me in April.  That was one tuff race done on a mountain bike and on trails. I had to walk several times up the hills and I knew then I needed a real plan...that I couldn't just go ad hoc here.  I then raced a sprint in Jun and a Oly in July.  A 10K road race in Sept and then a half mary in Oct. 

2009 RACES: My first race will be the Carlsbad Marathon (first ever) on Jan 25.  Then I have IMCA70.3 on April 4 and finally IMAZ in November.  I also plan to add in some other races in there somehwere (sprints and Oly's).

WEIGHTLOSS: After getting out of the Navy in 07 I had a Grade 3 hamstring tear and I was sidelined for eight months.  I got up to 206 before I was able to get back into fitness without pain (that was March 08).  I am now back to 180 which is my set point.  Ideally I will drop a little more and get to around 172ish.

I would like to join the group for the accountability and to give in any way I can.  I should also mention my best friend from High School has done every race with me and also lives in LA so thats a huge help.  But neither one of us has done tri's before 08.

For 2009 my fitness goals will all be tailored to IMAZ but I also do yoga and I want to make a committment to eat better.  One of my fringe benefits is lunch and I find myself not eating healthy there...which I want to change.  I currently train on my first and only road bike but I expect to buy a Tri bike soon.

Not a speed demon...but want to be.  I would like to at least move to FOP in the next 2 yrs.  But I will take finishing as a win this year!

Neil

"Sax"

Edited by sax 2009-09-25 6:08 PM
2009-01-14 7:08 PM
in reply to: #1904795

User image

Champion
Patty and Neil, wonderful to have both of you! I see you responded on my birthday, so thanks for the presents -- of your presence(s)!

PATTY -
I think your P.T. is a smart person. I often refer to my tibial stress fracture of 1-1-00 as "the best bad injury" I've ever had, as it got me into triathlons. Not only do I love them, but had I continued to try to crank out the high running miles, I would've just kept injuring myself time and time and time again. Doing all three "biggies', as well as weight-work and rowing and stretching (sporadic at best for that one....) keeps the skeletal-muscular strains spread out in a much more compassionate way. And you are right about the variety - it is wonderful to gradually develop a set of skills that never cease to full of rewards and challenges. Balancing the three disciplines is never boring, to be sure!

No, the treadmill work you are doing now is not the least bit pitiful! In fact, it is a great way to ease back into fitness, and over time (as long as you and the 'mill can maintain a fairly civil relationship) you'll realize how valuable the thing can be to provide variety-with-controls in your running program. It took me several years, literally, to take me first (2005, honest-and-true)step on a 'mill, and I wish I had ventured on to one much, much earlier!

Good for getting the bike! Giant is a worthy company, and easily serviceable just about everywhere. Did you get it at a bike shop in which you feel confident returning for service and fitting concerns?

Finally, for now, you're fortunate to have what sounds like easy access to a pool, and twice a week is a fine number of visits with which to begin. Swimming involves many different degrees of "taking the plunge", with the most important being what you already have in place - finding a workable place.

One more "finally", and that is to not worry too much about balancing triathlon-training with your family. It sounds as if you have very healthy and realistic initial goals for regaining fitness and getting ready for the June sprint. (Which one is it, may I ask?)

I'll bop on over to Neil now, but I shall return soon!

NEIL -
Oh, you're a brave lad to attempt a MTB tri! I have seen some of the courses through which race directors send their off-road participants, and more often than not they are very brutal. I, however, do not own a mountain bike, even though I would like one just to augment my on-road training. A few years ago I broached to idea to my evr-suffering wife, and she gave me one of Those Looks that pretty much ended that discussion then and there. And having to buy a nes tri bike this past July when I realized my seat tube was cracked, well, that put the MTB discussion even further into the future (I'm figuring it might be tenable when I'm, oh, 82 or 83....).

Your schedule for this season sounds great. Getting the 70.3 under your belt early on will give you several months in which to fine-tune your program (especially nutrition) leading up to IMAZ. And getting a few more sprints and olys between the two "longish ones" will refine all of those tricky race-day issues, especially how you orbit in and out of the transition zone. End-of-the-season irons make huge sense to me, simply because in the early and middle parts of a season they just chew up too much time. My first - Lake Placid, '04 - was in late July, and not only did I race but once in early July (a sprint), I also didn't race again until late August. My second - The Canadian (in Ottawa, not to be confused with IMC) - was over Labor Day weekend, and by then I had enjoyed a full season and was happy to make that iron my last race of '05.

It is good to hear you talk favorably about keeping a log. Accountability is a big part of "logging" for me, but beyond that there are the many times I have gone back into my logs to check on the guidelines of a particular workout, or to see if the aches I'm feeling at a given time were similar to those I felt back when. What type of log are you fixing to maintain?

That's it for now - especially as I'm responding from memory rather than having your intro note right below me. (See, I said that I was technologically-challenged, and probaly I could summon up your note, but my fear is too great that in doing so I would send what I've written thus far into some black hole of cyberspace!)

Bye for now!
2009-01-15 8:10 AM
in reply to: #1905752

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: stevebradley's Mentor Group OPEN
NEIL!

I just checked out the details of the imminent (the race clock on the web site has it at 9 days, 22 hours) Carlsbad Marathon, and it looks like a fabulous course. There's the one hill (decent gradient and elevation change) that allows valid bragging rights, but it's there at mile 8 and gone by mile 10 -- perfect!!! The rest of it seems rolling, which is ideal as it forces changes in stride and footstrike which will break up the monotony some - and more importantly, engage different muscle groups.

I am very envious of you for this! Part of that is becuse the logo has a nice sun on it, and the picture shows breaking waves beyond a clutch of shorts-and-t-shirt-wearing runners. Right now, up here, we are in the second of four days of a brutal cold snap, with this morning at -36 Celsius.

I am also envious because a marathon is just sounding good right now. I have not done a stand-alone marathon since Boston '04, and since Boston there were the necessary marathons as part of the two irons, but doing a marathon in that context is a different critter altogether. Prior to Boston I did five of 'em, so I'm not exactly a marathon-maniac -- but right now it is sounding enticing. And, as part of your well-crafted '09 season, it is brilliant to get a marathon in just so you will know roughluy how it feels to keep moving for 26.2 miles, prior to IMAZ.

Have a fine old day, out there in the balmy left coast!
2009-01-16 10:16 PM

User image

Master

thanks for the input.  This will be my first mary so I am a little nervous but I am as ready as I am going to be.  The weather is def nice, I plan on running shorts and a singlet!  Ran at sunset tonight on Santa Monica beach...so weather is great.

Missed some workouts this week as I was out of town for work...ended up going whale watching one day with a bunch of snow birds who just couldn't believe the weather.  Anyway, it was a work thing that turned into dinner and drinks afterwards...so I had some excuses to miss.  Oh well...nothing you can do about it.

I hope to at least get in the 8 miler on Sunday.

My legs are feeling a bit tired...I am thinking a massage before the marathon to lossen them up...looking at my schedule what day do you think would be best?  I was thinking run Wed morning and get it that evening.

Also...suggestions on diet this week going into race day?

2009-01-17 7:01 PM

User image

Veteran

Hi Steve!  I am looking to do my first sprint tri in June and thought the mentor idea might be a good idea.  I have been a spectator at several races as my husband used to compete regularly.  He is getting back into it this year and for some insane reason I thought I would too.  My goal is not to be competitive but just to accomplish it.  I would always leave his races pumped up thinking "I could do that!"  After a few hours it was always "what was I  thinking?"  This time I have actually told a few people I want to do it so there is some motivation to really do it.  We've picked a sprint distance in June (600m/13.4mi/5K) so it should be plenty of time to get in shape.

Since I've made the decision to do this, I am trying to hold onto the enthusiasm.  I've worked out 8 of the last 9 days and have a goal of 6 times a week.  I've been in the pool 3 times and was quite surprised I did as well as I did.  Right now, I can do each individual leg.  The challenge for me will be to be able to do all 3.  The longest exercise I have accomplished was a 10K two years ago.  Since then I run 4 miles 2 or 3 times a week (all indoors although I will venture out once the weather improves.)  I am in the market for a road bike but have access to a stationery one in the meantime.

I work full time so the challenge for me will be finding the time to increase my workouts.  For the next couple of months I plan to ride and run during lunch at the gym at work and swim on the weekends at the YMCA.  At some point I know I need to start increasing that so will need to figure out the best way to do that.

Lastly, I am a 43 year old female, married, 2 kids (8 and 11) and live in Atlanta.  I would love to lose 10-15 pounds although that is a secondary goal that I hope will just come along with the territory.  I am looking forward to just being able to DO this and hopefully my first tri will not be my last.

Would love to join your group. Mindy

2009-01-18 12:33 PM
in reply to: #1913455

User image

Champion
NEIL -

When you can say "...but I am as ready as I am going to be", then that's a pretty good indicator that taper-mode is a good position in which to find oneself. I sense a bit of regret about those missed workouts, but at that point - less than two weeks out from the marathon - you're not going to lose OR gain that much, especially if you've been preparing seriously and conscientiously for Carlsbad all along.

The 8 miler today sounds like a good idea, and probably just lope your way through it. Think about form and just the idea of flowing freely and comfortably. And if your legs are feeling a bit tired, then maybe pretty much shut it down after today; again, you are very unlikely to make any "gains" from here until next Sunday at 6 a.m. I know how hard it is to ignore those little (actually, not so little.....) voices in one's head that clamor for workouts right up until race time, but honestly -- those voices have irreconciliable differences with the legs, and don't speak for them in any way, shape, or form!

As for the massage - great idea! Now THAT is something your legs will love, to be sure! Wednesday is a good time for it, allowing a few days for recovery if your massage therapist tweaks a muscle here and there. Also, get him/her to go over your shoulders as well, and maybe your entire upper body, as those areas will also be working hard on Sunday.

Keep us posted, sax!
2009-01-18 1:03 PM
in reply to: #1914249

User image

Champion
MINDY -
Welcome aboard!
One of the very nifty things about racing is seeing and hearing how many spectators feel inspired to do one. For some, it is as you suggest -- the "I could do that!" turns into a "What was I thinking?" -- but for oh-so-many it begins small and grows into a big old shaggy and loveable beast that consumes one's life. At an extreme, Graham Fraser, the head honcho of Ironman North America events, tells of the number of people he has heard of who spectate at an ironman or two, then volunteer for a year or two and maybe start racing smaller stuff, and then a few years after that do an ironman itself. I really think that the first step is the hardest, but if the distance chosen is within reason and not too terribly daunting, then most first-timers who have prepared themselves adequately love the experience and can't wait to do it all again - preferably tomorrow!

Given your background and what you have chosen for your first, I think that the sprint in June is highly attainable. You sound very pleased with your initial forays into a pool, and you know what it feels like to run 10km, so the thought of 5km in the race should be quite comforting - especially if you are doing 4 miles a couple or so times a week. If you can get on the stationary bike, do so, just to begin getting the idea of what it feels like to keep your legs going in circles for a while!

It sounds like you are doing a grand job of holding onto your enthusiasm; 8 of the last 9 days, and with a goal of 6x a week, has the sweet aroma of enthusiasm wafting all over the place! But, I hear what you're saying about working full-time and with an 8- and 11-year old, and wanting to increase your workouts. What you have going for you now - runs and rides at lunch, swims on the weekends - sounds like a successful plan for keeping balance in your life, and I think you can keep this plan/schedule intact well into the spring. Your goal now is just building fitness (and confidence), and that can be done incrementally for quite a while without getting all stressed or anxious that you aren't doing enough. And, if the work/family priorities don't allow big blocks of time for workouts, then the incremental approach can be taken indefinitely.

Yup, the weight loss should come with the territory, so in the meantime just be careful to keep yourself adequately fueled and hydrated before, during, and after your workouts. One of the most insidious sappers of enthusiasm is fatigue, and that can lay siege on you if you are working hard but not keeper the furnace stoked. (I apologize for mixing metaphors there!)
2009-01-18 1:14 PM
in reply to: #1904795

User image

Champion
PATTY -
Just checkin' in, wondering how you're doing.
Did you get into the pool at all this week? Just curious - what type of pool is it? Does it have regular lane swim times geared to adults, or is it pretty much open to anybody who wants to do pretty much anything, at just about any time they want to do it? The latter is not ideal, of course, but workable - even the dimmest neo-neanderthal can sense the most basic tenets of pool etiquette!
But, I hope it's one that respects the needs of people to feel comfortable when they try to swim seriously, because at those life is generally copacetic for all. People are usually savvy about swimming in the lanes that correspond to their ability level and/or workout goals (I have an inefficient [euphemism for "lousy"?] kick, so when I do kick sets I move over into one of the slower lanes), and as long as that happens, the pool life is sweet.

Glub, glub!

Edited by stevebradley 2009-01-18 1:15 PM
2009-01-18 3:47 PM

User image

Veteran

Thanks Steve.

I got my swim in yesterday (about 45 min) but was shut down today after 10 minutes after the pool was closed due to an unfortunate contamination (yuck.)  My running goal is to add .25 miles to my runs weekly so I will be up to 5 miles in a month and 6 after 2 months.  I figure that will be good for my endurance and still achievable during lunch at work.  Right now it is taking me 55 min to do 13 miles on the stationery bile so probably will not be extending that.  Hopefully I can just get my time down on the bike and then start adding a little running afterwards (maybe in a month or so.)

I'm not really doing any drills in the pool, just working on doing laps at a steady pace and figuring out how to breathe smoothly.  I feel like I'm pretty slow but the goal is just to keep moving...

Thanks for the encouragement.

2009-01-19 2:16 AM

User image

NAME: Patricia

STORY: I have been athletic off and on throughout my life. I played soccer grades 6-12 and again a few years back at one of my assignments (intramural). I am in the Air Force and continued to remain active until I was treated for Hodgkin’s disease. Since then my activity level and weight has yo-yoed. My New Year’s resolution for 2008 was to do the Iron Girl in Atlanta. That was the only resolution I can remember actually following through with. I remember thinking I must be crazy as I was having to walk my bike up a couple of those hills and how I couldn't wait to do another once it was all done.

FAMILY STATUS: I will be turning 30 this year and plan to celebrate in style (and in shape)! I am a newlywed with a wonderful husband that supports my goals fully.
CURRENT TRAINING: I am following a training plan I read in Triathlete's Magazine Training Guide. I am a little behind in training for my first planned tri (under the weather), but I planning on catching up. My weakest point is running.

2008 RACES: My very first tri was the Iron Girl in Atlanta. It was a great event and now I am hooked. It was a women’s triathlon of 1/3 mile swim/18 mile bike/3 mile run. And the hills were crazy.

2009 RACES: My goal this year is to do one triathlon each month Mar-Aug or so. With the longest one being an olympic. I am also pondering doing an Xterra.
Mar-Tynman Triathlon
Apr-Pensacola Beach Tri
May-The Grandman Tri
Jun-Iron Girl Atlanta
Jul-Sunfish Tri and Heart O Dixie Tri
Aug-San Destin Tri

WEIGHTLOSS: Right now I am in the Athena category and need to lose quite a bit. As I said my weight has yo-yoed. I was doing really well last year until I suffered a setback. I was all set to deploy when the doc thought my cancer had returned. It turned out to be nothing but I wasn't able to deploy as scheduled (bummer) and I kind of lost my motivation. So now this year I have a lot to make up for.

I would appreciate all the help I can get and also motivation.

Patricia

2009-01-19 11:30 AM

User image

Name: Becky
Story: I'm turning 24 in Feb. and started training last week for my first triathlon.  My brother and I decided last year we would do one together, but I had a small setback with my knee so had to sit and cheer instead... 3 months later, I'm back to running without pain and we both found a race in Jekyll Island (save the sea turtles!) which is in exactly 17 weeks that we'd like to participate in.  I'm not too worried about a specific event, I swam in High School and have been running (jogging) for a few years now... basically just need advise and someone I can ask questions to. 
Family: I'm single but have amazing friends, and recently moved to N.C. where I found a great running community which has led to my purchase of first official running shoes!  It was really exciting for me to choose a pair of shoes because they were the right fit instead of because they were red....
Current training: I downloaded a 16 week training schedule from beginner triathlete that I have been following but had beginner’s anxiety this morning going over everything, which is why I believe the mentor program would be an amazing benefit for me right now.  I don’t have anyone close to me (geographically or otherwise) that has participated in a multisport race besides my brother.  He lives in Georgia and is just one of those that could work out whenever and do whatever and be able to finish well.  We don’t share those genes.  Good news is that I love having a schedule so that part works really well for me.  The down side is that I do not currently have a bike so I've been going to spin class at the Y for the time being and its really cold! And need the encouragement and accountability to go swim anyway. 
2009: Saturday, May 16 Jekyll Island Turtle Crawl Triathlon.  Probably a 5k or 2 as they come up.  I know of one in Feb. that I'll probably run.
Weightless: I'm definitely using this as a catalyst to lose the weight.  I've been fairly active most of my life, but have definitely plateaued for about 2 years and have basically maintained. 
If the group is still available, I'd love to join, Steve.  Hope to hear from you soon. 

2009-01-19 12:02 PM

Hey Steve...I was hoping I could join your group. You have a wealth of experience with multisports and you have a great group here, I would like the accountability aspect as well.

NAME: Isaiah

STORY: I will be 26 in a few days and have decieded that I need to start this now radther than later. I have a desk job and have recently joined the married club which took a surprising turn with my weight? go figure. I played sports all through highschool with Lacrosse as my main focus and everything else to help with conditioning. I ran CC, played Volleyball and wrestled for a little bit as well. I was originally persuing a career in Firefighting and EMS, before I was married and somehow ended up in sales with my safety background I gained from it.  I was in good shape then, but with the way everything has been lately I have looking for a change. I have been hanging out with some messenger kids and daily commuters in the city and kind of fell into cycling and love it. I figure if I ran in highschool and have stayed somewhat active since why not try out a tri. I would eventually like to go out for an Ironman, but one step at a time.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 3 years this May.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently self trained, but have past experience with team sports. I have also been training in Brazillian JiuJitsu and Muay Thai. Cycling in the city and trying to get back in the habbit of lifting and running again.

2008 RACES: none. This will be a fresh start for me.

2009 RACES: I plan on doing some 5k's and cycling races to help ramp up for my first Tri in June at lake lanier in North Georgia.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I'm currently working with 228lbs coming down from 238lbs with an ambitious goal of getting down to 185 lbs -195lbs range. I'm 6'0 and carry my weight well, but feel I should be a lot leaner.

I would like to join the group for the accountability and will help in any way I can.

Isaiah

2009-01-19 7:35 PM
in reply to: #1915762

User image

Champion
Patricia, Becky, Isaiah.....Yes! Yes! Yes!

Our computer is on our phone line, and I have to clear the track now for an expected incoming call or two. I'll return asap, either later tonight or tomorrow. (Sweet dreams, if it's the latter!)
2009-01-19 11:17 PM

User image

New user

NAME: Jess

STORY: I'm a veterinarian in Whitehorse, Yukon. I'm 26 going on 27 in April and while I've always enjoyed hiking and biking to get places, I've never been the type to pursue physical activity for the sake of being physical. I had a strange Christmas and my house caught fire and partially burned down and then 2 weeks later a guy took a wrong turn at an intersection and totaled my car. I never thought I'd be one of those people who takes something like that as a "message" rather than just bad luck (or good luck, when you considered that I survived both of those with minimal damage) but it made me think that I've been taking my body for granted. I want to go from couch potato to "someone who can finish a triathalon" (I don't have lofty aspirations for how well I'm going to do).

FAMILY STATUS: Been with my partner Gavin for 3 years (people in the Yukon don't tend to get married)

CURRENT TRAINING: I've made it to the gym 5 times in the last week...I'm aiming for 3-4x/week, although I don't really know what's involved in training for a triathalon so I may have to ramp it up. I haven't gone swimming yet but soon! I was going to use one of the sprint training plans on this site to try and get going.

2008 RACES: Ha ha ha ha ha....

2009 RACES: The Whitehorse triathalon is on June 7. I'm hoping to be ready! There's also a bike relay and a road relay later in the summer I'd like to try if I manage to do the triathalon.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm one of those people that other people hate because no matter what I do I don't gain (or lose) weight. I'm 5'8" and 135 pounds, sometimes up to 140. I'm not concerned about my weight but I'm hoping that getting in shape will help me be a healthier person, since being skinny doesn't equal good health.

I hope it's alright if I'm one of your mentees, Steve...I feel like I'm the least experienced of everyone who's posted so far. I'm motivated...I haven't had a goal since I graduated vet school but this feels like a good goal. Vet school was a workout for my brain; it's time for a workout for my body.

2009-01-20 6:58 AM
in reply to: #1915087

User image

Champion
MINDY!

Your plan sounds solid to me - steady distance increases while keeping the rest of your life in balance. As for what you're doing in the pool, the aspect of breathing smoothly is pretty much central to all the rest. The fact that you are describing what you're doing as "laps at a steady pace" sounds like you're pretty comfortable right now. How are you most comfortable breathing (aside from "on land")? One side only, or bilateral? If on one side only, are you breathing every second or fourth stroke? Just curious!
2009-01-20 7:27 AM
in reply to: #1915762

User image

Champion
PATRICIA -

That's a very nice schedule you have there, with one-a-month efforts. I am kind of green with envy right now, looking at those March and April races in view of guts-gripping winter here in eastern Ontario. I am giving some thought to heading to TX for Lonestar in early April, but am not sure I can afford it. But I digress!

It is clear that you loved Iron Girl Atlanta last year, as not only did it springboard you into an aggressive '09 schedule, but there it is again - your June race! I'll bet you're really psyched for that one, now that you know the hills and whatever else the course has to offer. The dimensions of that course are very similar to those of my first tri, although mine was flatflatflat. Is deployment a possibility any time soon, or are you likely going to be around for most of those races?

Don't worry about "catching up" on the training you lost. It is generally advisable NOT to try and make up for lost workouts, as that often leads to one of the many variants of overtraining. I know how hard it is to resist the temptation to try to squeeze into today a workout that was lost yesterday or last week, and even at this stage of the game I can still fall into the "catch-up" trap. (I used to be REALLY bad at it, but after suffering a few heavy-duty injuries I learned that missing a few days is easy compared to missing a few months!) Anyhow, I would say that if (1) you have the energy, (2) you have the time, and (3) the workout is technique-based, as opposed to speed-based or distance-based, then maybe try to fit in one of the "lost" workouts. But definitely just let it/them go if the act of fitting them in is going to compromise other parts of your life - including the current workouts.

Later today I will track down the info for your '09 races. As they are in a different part of the universe from that in which I orbit, I am unfamilar with them. And, I will have to keep my envy in check: Pensacola Beach in April -- lucky lady!!
2009-01-20 8:04 AM
in reply to: #1916236

User image

Champion
BECKY -

My introduction to cycling was also through spin classes! Following my "millenium" stress fracture, my doctor told me that I should spend more time on my bike--- to which I responded that I had not owned a bike since the early 70s. So, I spun (spinned? span?) for a bunch of sessions, realized I could likely be moderately comfortable on a bike, and then a few months later bought a half-decent road bike onto which I attached a few tri-related features. I've since upgraded a couple of times, but my bike-beginnings were equally humble, in spinning classes.

Depending on where you live in N.C., you might have great bike-buying or renting options through either Inside-Out or Final Kick. Inside-Out has its main branch in Cary, I believe, and one or two satellite stores. They are bike-shop-of-choice at Ironman events, and one of their services is to rent bikes for people who can't/won't travel with their own bikes. So, they might be able to allow you to rent-and-try. And now that I think about it, Final Kick is in Virginia Beach, not N.C. at all. Oops.

Well-done on the bonafide running shoes!! It's a pretty cool experience, isn't it, getting those first shoes that actually seem as if they are made for the job. (Speaking of red, I am currently messing around with a pair of Saucony Type A2, which is the first time I have ever worn predominantly red shoes. Looking down at my feet, they don't seem as if they belong to me. I mean, those shoes are REALLY red! Check 'em out on-line. They are REALLY red!)

You give two messages about the schedule - that you love having it, but that there is anxiety about all that is there. Please believe me that what you are experiencing in terms of anxiety is perfectly normal, and even when I was on a tight, serious schedule, given to me by someone I trusted implicitly, I was still intimidated by each three-week block. Like you, I loved having it ----- but that didn't necessarily make it any less daunting. For me, part of it was coming to terms with some of more brutal sessions of the horizon (sort of like knowing a few weeks out when you're scheduled for a root canal....), but mostly it was just looking at the schedule, and looking at the rest of my life, and wondering how I was ever going to fit it all in. But, as I told Patricia just above, don't allow missed workouts to bother you, and, conversely, don't allow the schedule to control your life to the exclusion of just about everyting else. Is this roughly what you're thinking when you say you have beginner's anxiety with the schedule?

Really, at this point the multisport world is your oyster. You - and most of the rest of the mentee crowd at large - are just starting with all of this. There are a zillion things to learn, but THIS IS A WONDERFUL THING!! One of your many resources is the 16-week training schedule, but please realize that even if you miss something there, you can make up for it in other ways. You will make up for it differently, but the progression of knowledge can continue apace, even if you sick, or travelling, and can only learn something through a book or magazine or internet forum.

You're very lucky you swam in high school - all of us non-fish we had done likewise! You have a huge benefit in that regard that you'll begin to realize once you start racing. And take good care of that knee. Listen carefully to any whining your body might start doing, and back off a bit if the knee starts feeling wonky. (Waht was it that ailed it?)

Jekyll Island Turtle Crawl Triathlon -- the t-shirt for that one would be a blast to design!
2009-01-20 8:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Steve, I am very comfortable IN the water, but most comfortable UNDER the water.  (I was a scuba dive instructor in my younger days.)  However, I don't think I am a very good technical swimmer, never having had real lessons.  I have been concentrating on swimming with my head way down or even looking toward my feet.  My husband is a big supporter of total immersion and has given me a couple of pointers.  It is hard to get used to breathing in that position.  I can only breathe on one side - I've tried bi-lateral breathing and almost drown every time.  Right now I breathe every 6 strokes.  Maybe that is not enough??  Stamina in the pool is the big thing for me although I seem to be able to swim my 600m slowly in that position without having to change strokes.  (Of course I know I'm getting a  tiny break every time i hit the wall since I can't do flip turns.)  My goal is just to not use up all my energy in the water and have nothing left for the bike/run.
2009-01-20 8:38 AM
in reply to: #1916299

User image

Champion
ISAIAH -

What a varied athletic background you have! In your spare time, check out www.crossfit.com. They take a few shots at endurance athletes in their cornerstone "What Is Fitness?" article, but some of their basic tenets are pretty interesting - and very challenging. Anyhow, it sounds as if your various pursuits over the years would allow you to fit into any of a number of the fitness niches that crossfit defines. And as for the Brazilian JiuJitsu and Muay Thai training, I gotta tell you that I have colossal repect for the serious MMA guys who must balance all of the technical stuff, along with maintaining strength and having flexibility that is just about off the charts.

The fact that you have fallen in love with cycling, and that you think fondly of running, bode well for multisport, of course. Having the Lake Lanier tri (North Georgia -- do I sense some serious mountains up that way??? I'll have to check the course info on that one!) on your radar for June is very attainable, especially if you are looking to build for it via some running and cycling races. Do you have ready access to a pool, or are you a naturally competent swimmer? If the latter does not apply, then the fact that you live or work in a city means that there will be a few pools from you can choose.

Having Ironman as a possible goal is quite common, and I think you are very wise to be thinking about "one step at a time". Some people more or less jump into Ironman fairly early in their multisport "career", but I think something of that magnitude is best experienced and appreciated when there is a lot of seasoning under one's belt. (Mixed metaphor there? Sorry.) My first iron was my 27th triathlon, preceded by 8 or 9 half-irons, so there was a lot of experience and accumulated knowledge going into it. But I digress a bit, just by way of supportrting your current idea of taking things one step at a time!

At your age, and with your background, I think that your weight goal is quite attainable - especially once you start doing into regular s-b-r training. The lifting you're hoping to get back to will help as well. I love the time I spend in the gym, as the focus and concentration aspects are something I don't experience otherwise. However, I keep my lifting to what I view as "multisport functionality", and I (sadly) shut down my lifting during the race season -- which makes restarting it in the fall MISERY! (Can you relate?)

2009-01-20 8:46 AM
in reply to: #1917464

User image

Champion
JESS -

YES!! (With all of the southern folk in the group, I need someone with whom I can commiserate about brutal northern winters!)
For now, though, I have to start plowing ahead with my day - the gym (rowing, lifting), then a run right adjacent to the St. Lawrence River, then some random errands (ugh), then some serious cooking (yum!) - but I will return this evening.

May the Warmth be with you!
2009-01-20 9:59 AM

User image

Good morning Steve,

Well I guess I won't complain about the cold I just endured to go to the gym (low 30s) since you have it a lot worse.

I totally forgot to mention that I actually do crossfit until I read what you wrote to Isaiah. It is one kick butt class. Some days it can last for a hour or so and others like today can just be a lot of pain, I mean, great exercise packed onto 20 minutes. I try to do one session of Crossfit 5x/week in the mornings after work and do my swim,bike,run training in the evenings before work. It has been tough getting back into it, but well worth it. You leave there knowing you have really done something.

As for me deploying, I should be here all this year. I won't be "in the bucket" for another year or so. I am really looking forward to my first race in Panama City Beach,Fl in March, but I am a little concerned about the water temperatures. I am originally from Florida and usually would not step foot in the water at the beach until about May. But even so, this morning I went ahead and registered for the race and for my USAT membership, so I am set. Now I just need to research wetsuits I suppose.

Hope you have a great day. Since it is my day off I am going to go cook something warm and yummy too. Gotta love a big pot of chili on a cold night.

Patricia

2009-01-20 10:24 AM

User image

Thanks, Steve!

That's truly exactly what I needed to hear... I'm excited about the Y today I'll definitely check out Inside-out store and look forward to trying the rent-to own! The shoe experience was unlike any other, and I'm excited about yours!  I'm from Georgia so anything red is better (Bulldogs, Hawks, Falcons Braves... you catch my drift) actually, while at Trisports I found a pair of Brooks that I loved, and they called around to 4 other stores to send in the only red pair left in the state I think..

As far as my schedule anxiety, you are correct that it is somewhat overwhelming, but mostly I appreciate it and will follow it.  My concern is that I have all these questions, like... I'm starting out this week with my short run day instruction: run 13 minutes.  I know they are starting me out slow, but I want to do more so is it ok if I run for 13 then walk for a few and run for 13 again?  or should I just run the 13 and call it a day, or should I increase the speed and run 13 only?  And ... should I follow the schedule exactly in the way of every Tuesday be the short run day of the week or can I switch it up and do whatever I feel like doing that day, ie taking a bike class that morning instead and doing the short run on Wednesday this week.  To be direct, do I need to do the specific training the same day of every week in that order?

I may owe you a cool design tshirt after all of my questions.  Also, for you and Isaiah, the Lake Lanier tri was the one my brother completed last year.  He did mention that it had a few more hills than expected throughout the course but nothing like a mountain.  It was VERY pretty though! Thanks again!!

2009-01-20 7:17 PM
in reply to: #1917464

User image

Champion
JESS -

Here I was, all anxious to follow through and get back to you this evening --- and then I realized that it's still comfortably in the afternoon for you! My wife, years ago, did her M.Sc. and Ph.D. field work in the Old Crow Basin, and she recollects that you are four hours behind us (maybe 5, conceivably 3). So, it's sometime between 2:52 and 4:52, and so I'm waayyy ahead of schedule!

Yes, stuff such as you experienced over the past month will certainly cause one to reflect on one's potential fragility and inevitability. I have had two car episodes in which I emerged 98% unscathed, and both of them took my breath away when I got to thinking about how things might have gone....

I checked out the Whitehorse Triathlon, and I see there are two distances - sprint and olympic. I'm going to assume for now that it's the sprint you have in mind, and the parameters - 500m swim, 20km bike, 5km run - of that one make it very doable. Many sprints will half an olympic exactly, which would keep the bike and run as above, but make the swim 750m instead of 500m. So, unless you are a "fish" who swims really well, having your first tri start off with a shorter-than-normal swim should be quite appealing - as well, as making it just that more doable!

You say you are going to the gym frequently now, and hope for 3/4 times a week, which will be great. When you are there, though, what are you availing yourself of? Are you using a treadmill at all, or whatever they have by way of stationary bikes? If you tell me what sort of workouts you are doing already, I can give you guidance for what needs to be done between now and June 7. And using one of the sprint plans is wise; even if you don't decide to use it, or simply can't fit it into your schedule, it will give you a good overview of what you should be aiming for as you ramp up to Whitehorse Triathlon. Right now you are at close to 20 weeks before the race, and I think that is ample time to get trained fully adequately.

I like your comparison between vet schoool being the workout for your brain, as opposed to what you now need by way of workouts for your body. The day-to-day shuffling of wishes and responsibilities is kind of micro-balance; what you're talking about is more along the lines of macro-balance.

For about a year in '68/'69 I worked as an orderly/surgical assistant at Angell Memorial Animal Hospital in Boston. At the time it was the premier veterinary teaching hospital in the U.S., and the competition amongst vet school graduates to intern there was fierce. I loved working there, but never really had the aptitude for the kind of science required to follow the vet route myself. What do you specialize in - small animals (cats, dogs, gerbils), or large animals (horses, cows, black flies)? Angell was mostly small animal, but the odd horse would find its way into stalls in the basement.

Returning to the task at hand, please let me know how comfortable you currently are with swimming, cycling, and running, and what sort of ramping-up you've started already, okay?
Bye for now!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » stevebradley's Mentor Group FULL Rss Feed  

of 264