BT Development Mentor Program Archives » stevebradley's Mentor Group FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 264

2011-06-10 6:27 PM
in reply to: #3543283

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: stevebradley's Mentor Group FULL

JESS and LISA -

Don't know where to start, just to say, i guess, that the post you referenced, Lisa, was excellent. I hope she has a terrific race, having taken the time to put things in perspective. Mighty fine assurances, I'd say!

FWIW, I'd love the chance to swim in a spot where there are cow rays, and I also agree that they will be more scared of the swimmers than can be reasonably expected as a vice-versa situation.

As for the jellies, i had never heard of making a clear point to swim more face downward than usual, but it makes wonderful sense. Let them have their way with latex, and see how they like THAT! Ha!

JESS, are you planning to do anything tomorrow, or just lay low and groove on the scene? It's been seven years soince I was last at Eagleman, and I'm missing it lots. A woman from one of my other groups will be doing it, and I told her to look out for you, LISA - I think I referred to you as a pretty blonde sporting a therapeutic boot and lording over the Fexy tent.

My race is just sort of lame, a low-budget sprint where, in all likelihood, my groin/hip/knee continuum will start bothering me before the 23.7km (14.5 miles) of the bike are finished. My bike mileage is ultra-pathetic over the past couple of months, but I feel confident that I can hammer the hell out of the course just by doing what I do. May my Base and Experience make a difference in lieu of decent bike training!

2011-06-16 8:06 PM
in reply to: #1896958

User image

Expert
Bethesda, MD/Northern NJ

Alright - finally time to check in post- Eagleman!

First off - Lisa, you were an amazing cheerleader - thank you soooo much! Seriously! You were everywhere I looked! So, thank you for being out there in the heat

We headed down Friday evening, set up camp.  Saturday morning I left Mark and Eli sleeping, and I headed down to Great Marsh Park. I biked the run course, which went well.  Then, I did a quick swim in the water, and I realized I was having problems with my goggles. I had left them in my car for a while, and I think some of the plastic on them melted because they just would not form a seal with my eyes. Good thing I found that out on Saturday instead of Sunday morning! I bought a new pair of goggles at the expo and all was well.

As for the race itself - it was basically deja vu with last year for me! My bike time was within a minute (I think) of last years bike time, and my run time was just a few minutes faster. Swim time was significantly faster, and transitions were faster, so I cut about 14 minutes off.  My time was still 14 minutes slower than I did last year at HVJ - which I consider to have been a more challenging course - terrain wise - but the weather at HVJ was also much more accomodating

For this years swim, I focused a lot on sighting.  I remember literally swimming in zig-zags last year, which is really easy on that swim course given the way it's set up. So I think my sighting improved. Of course I would have been faster if I had swam in the 3 weeks before the race, haha, but that was basically the theme of the day for me!

I really focused on SUN PROTECTION this year since I was SO SUNBURNED last year. So that took a little time in transition, but wasn't bad.

Bike - I felt like it was windy at the start. Kind of frustrating, because I remember almost flying for the first 20 miles last year.  I was, however, expecting crazy wind on the backside of Egypt road - but thankfully the wind seemed calmer there.

One of the things I noticed is that I'm having a hard time consistently pedaling with this bike - I pedal for about 30 seconds and then just naturally take a break.  I think it has to do with the fact that the saddle is so uncomfortable. I bought a new saddle, I just need to get the bike into the shop so they can put it on for me. Unfortunately I didn't have time to do it before the race. I may do it on Sunday   Anyway, I really enjoyed just being outside and riding. I passed a few people, I think, which is always fun

The run: was hot. Being in the LAST wave again was just NOT helpful.  Riding back into T2, I saw all the runners and realized that it wasn't going to be as bad as last year. Last year I remember people literally passed out on the side of the road.  This year, people were moving slower, but they were still moving.  That's basically what happened for me.  I ran between aid stations, drank and took cups of ice. Ice down the shirt and in the hat, the second cup of ice to munch on as I ran.  Average pace was between 9:30-10:00, but I walked each aid station so that slowed me down considerably.  Towards the back end I was feeling really nauseous.  I remember thinking "if I throw up in front of a volunteer, they will pull me off the course," don't throw up until there are no volunteers around. Those thoughts were unnecessary, because I didn't throw up, I just felt kind of sick until the end.

Finished strong - right as they were announcing that a fierce thunderstorm was about 15 minutes away.  So, Mark and I packed up real quick and we were in the car by the time it started raining.  Thats why I didn't come to say goodbye Lisa!

Driving home - we were tired, but it was a good weekend overall I am pretty much recovered! I was able to go to kickboxing yesterday, and rode my bike today.  I thoroughly enjoyed Eagleman this year, even though it was totally not what I expected at the beginning of the season.  I am developing plans for the rest of the season now, and will post those later

Anyway, thanks again Lisa! It was so good seeing you, and I really appreciated the cheering!

2011-06-19 6:36 AM
in reply to: #3553391

User image

Champion

JESS!

Good to get your report........even though it's taken me a couple of days to get here! Prior to that, it took me a few days to even find the results. I couldn't get them through the Tri Columbia site, and I ffinally remembered the Ironman Tracking option.....and there they were. I wish I had had that on my radar last Sunday, but I guess I'm getting kind of slack........or fogetful!

ANYHOW, you knocked a whoppin' 14 minutes off your last year's time, and that is superb. Tough conditions on an early-season half-iron? WOW!

Even though you refer to your run time being "just a few minutes faster", it was 5:09 faster -- more than "just a few". I guess you strategized it really well in terms of marshalling your energies between aid stations, but for whatever reasons you had smashingly good results.

AndI figured the bike had its challenges (that would be wind..... ), but I didn't count on the fact that you're having saddle problems. I hope you get that resolved pretty soon, just so you can get back to loving your bike and getting the most from its capabilities -- and your own!

As for the swim, your improvement there is also massive -- 8+ minutes. Holy-moly! I take that to mean that you didn't take time to make friends with any cow rays; hope you don't regret that sometime in the future! You mention zig-zags, which I think defined parts of my first Eagleman, especially the return part once past the boat. I probably fixed that somewhat before my return the next year ('04), but you're right -- the course is kind of conducive to weaving, and the current doesn't help much.

It's obvioulsy good that you discovered your goggle problem before the rce! I had my own leakage problems last week at my sprint, and it really threw me for a loop --- and that was just 500m. Had it been 2000m, as it was for you, that would've really undone me! Actually, mine were 97% good for my warm-up swim......and then I stupidly decided that I would tweak it to get closer to 100%.....and mucked it up so I was at about 43% sealage. That teach me to be a greedyguts!

So! What's next for you? Just, um, the wee matters of wedding plans and IMLOO? Nothing else, much, between now and those two happenings?

Stay in touch, eh? Pretty please? And again -- congrats on the massive improvement over last year's Eagleman! (And tend to that saddle issue, asap!)

2011-07-05 6:50 AM
in reply to: #3556153

User image

Champion

ROLL-CALL!

MINDY!
How did Peachtree go for you (and Ivan)?

JESS!
It's now a couple of weeks after Eagleman; are you doing well? Still on target for IMLOO?

LISA!
You and your foot -- in full swing?

NEIL!
Any plans hatched since you appeared here a few weeks ago, directionless?

NATHAN!
Still here?

For that matter, is ANYbody still here?

As for me, I'm somewhere between hither and yon:
-- My cortisone shot three weeks ago has made some improvements, but not 100% I guess beggars can't be choosers....but I was kinda hoping for 100%. Now to decide where to go from here: angle for another injection, go a different route (acupuncture comes to mind), or have an MRI to try and see what's really happening.
-- I have given up on doing the local races, as they are just not very satisfying. I bailed on one (July 25), and didn't sign up for this past Sunday's, and won't sign up for next Sunday's. This will save some money.......but I'm not sure it's working to keep my head in the game.
-- Still thinking about Cayuga Lake on Aug 7 and West Point the following week. I'm signed up for both, but need to make sure (a) my hip can be happy on the drive and (b) my training justifies the travel and accom costs.
-- Training is getting better. Two recent rides have been at 19.7 and 20.3 mph, and with minimal hip/groin discomfort. Runs are still solid, good pace with no real effort. Swim training is very good, lots of time OWS. Still doing a ton of Yoga.
-- The three races I have done all went well --- just emotionally unsatisfying.
-- My thoughts of this being a much-needed "step-back" season are taking a bit of a hit these days, hence the re-focus on Cayuga and West Point.
Struggling with the recent death of a former student, a very troubled kid who we wondered if he would make it to 19; he didn't, succumbing last week at 18 to injuries from a car accident. I just found out, and am trying to piece in all together. Damn.

As always, I look forward to you checking in here whenever you can. I really do think about you often, and hope all is well on all fronts.

Hugs and kisses.

2011-07-05 7:17 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA

hey steve,

first of all, i'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your student.  even though you expected that he might find his way into this position, i'm sure it stil isn't easy.  i'm sure there's a lot of "could i have done anything more" thought.  if you do happen to be thinking that way.  don't.  knowing you, i'm sure there is nothing more you could have done.  I know you did the very best you could.  again, i'm sorry.

also really bummed to hear your hip issues are still nagging at you.  exactly where in the hip are they?  it sounds like you've tried almost everything you can on your own (yoga, ART, etc).  an MRI might be a good idea, steve. 

i've been really struggling a lot recently with what i believe to be a massively inflamed psoas.  it hurts to walk at this point.  i'm actually really looking forward to getting this season done with and spending next year focusing on getting my body healthy and aligned.  i suspect a lot of my issues are with imbalances in my pelvis.  i need to rectify this situation before it turns into a life time issue. 

before i forget, can you send me your address again?  thank YOU!

so, here is my stream of consciousness updates for your reading pleasure, steve

not sure where we left off with the foot, but i went to a new chiro that does graston and ART.  my foot responded really well to graston and he told me he thought i had torn/strained muscles in the bottom of my foot and that it wasn't the plantar fascia at all.  that is great news.  he gave me permission to start running again.  on my first "long" run back, i was running along and babying the muscles (which are on the arch of my foot) and was probably running on the outside of my foot and doing a lot of pronating.  somewhere about an hour in, i just landed wrong off a curb and rolled my ankle, falling in the process.  when back to the chiro who said it seemed like it was just a sprain, but took an xray for safety's sake and it showed a hairline fracture in my fibula   best case was ANOTHER two weeks off of it.  that two weeks just ended.  he told me i could try running again and if i had any pain in the fibula spot to stop immedediately.  i haven't.  i'll likely get another xray this week to be sure before i try to build my volume up again.  at the end of the day, i had to take 6 weeks off from running.  i have 3 weeks to get my body as ready as it can be for a freaking Ironman.  obviously not the IMLP i was hoping for.

BUT, here is the good news.  through it all, i've been cleared to bike and swim.  i've spent a lot of time on my bike and my fitness is off the charts.  i should have a spectacular IM bike.  my hope is that any time i give back on the run and can gain on the bike.  my hope is to still finish sub 12 hours, which if i can do after 6 weeks off from running, i'll be happy with. 

ryan's training is unbelievable.  he is setting himself up for amazing things.  he could have a game changing race at placid.  my fear with him is that he just needs to believe in himself.  he doesn't view himself as a runner and i think he just doesn't push himself to what he's capable of.  i just need him to have one break through performance and then i think it could snowball (in a good way) from there.

on another note, we did the diabolical double ride at the end of june (which was freaking unbelieveable).  i wrote about it in my blog (yes, i have a blog now).  the race report is there, steve! 
www.hooslisa.com

have to run to a doc appt, actually. 

i hope you are all doing well!!!!

lots of love,

lisa

2011-07-05 11:13 AM
in reply to: #3580606

User image

Veteran
It's been many months since I posted (sorry) but since Steve caught one of my Facebook posts and asked for an update, I feel obliged.  Hope everyone is doing well.  Lisa is great about posting her training and race exploits on FB, so I feel caught up with her, but I hope the rest of you are enjoying training and race successes this year!

I ran the Peachtree Road Race yesterday.  It is the largest 10K in the US - 55,000 entrants - although that number includes a lot of walkers.  While my time was slow, even by my standards (just under 1:11) the good news is that it was a lot of fun, and maybe enough to get me wanting to do another race.  I have had the exercise blues for quite a while, and it's time to snap out of it (easier said than done.)  I even did not mind the heat and humidity, which is saying a lot.  Ivan's time was close to 56 minutes.  Looks like we are both slowing down...

Steve, sorry for the loss of your student.  Always hard to lose someone so young.

Mindy

2011-07-05 11:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Still here and lurking when I can. 

Sorry to hear about your student Steve, and for your health troubles. What is it about the local races that isn't working for you? 

I'm still working to get acquainted to the area here, and though I hit the ocean quite a bit, I've yet to find time for a solid swim session. The little one is now 15th months, so it's getting easier, but still not as easy as I'd like. 

Lisa is just killing it, which is awesome. I'm jealous that you and Ryan can train and enjoy the sport together!

And Mindy, congrats on still going strong. Slow is better than DNF

Have a great summer everyone!

2011-07-05 6:40 PM
in reply to: #3581238

User image

Champion

NATHAN -

Lurking is good, and never let anyone tell you otherwise!

The local races are put on by people with hearts of gold, whose motto is "Events for Everyone" -- and therein lies one of the problems. The race I did on June 12, a sprint tri, was one of FOURTEEN races run out of the same site, all starting and finishing within four hours. It was something like:
spriint tri sprint relay
oly tri
oly tri relay
super-sprint tri
try-a-tri
try-a-tri relay
oly duathlon
canoe tri
canoe tri relay
kayak tri
kayak tri relay
swim cycle (aquabike)
8km run
5km run
1km kids run

My swim start was everyone, about 162 I believe, on a narrow course; chaos, choas, CHAOS!! They do this sort of thing just so they can timetable everyone as closely as possible. At some level, it makes sense.

My biggest quibble is that they have only three splits, usually combining T1 and T2 into the bike time. So, it's hard to tell how one's actual bike speed compares to anyone else. Sometimes, though, it wiill be a pure bike time --- but then it'll be swim + T1 and run +T2. Grrr, grrrr, GRRRRR!

I have tried to evolve into one who is fiscally responsible enough to hardly ever again do "C"-priority races, and that would mean eschewing the races in this series. I'm still mulling over this decision....but so far it's feeling wise and appropriate.

I'm glad you're doing the ocean thing occasionally, as I can have some vicarious pleasure that way. I would be trying to live IN the ocean if I lived near it, so I am envious of you.

15 months! That came as a shocker, but then I did the math from and it all added up; imagine that! Time sure flies, eh?

2011-07-05 6:57 PM
in reply to: #3581192

User image

Champion

MINDY -

That was blind luck, as I hadn't been on FB for a few months. Must've been the fates that led me to your post about Peachtree. The lord works in strange ways (says the agmostic....).

I think the key for Peachtree for you is that you enjoyed it and feel a certain hankering for more of the similar. This is good!

It is also good that you were able to be unaffected by the heat and humidity, which puts you a few courage notches higher than where I normally allow myself to hunker. I honestly don't know how you all way south manage to train/compete in the height of summer. Mercy!

Soooo --- anything in your sites that might tempt you? Just checking!

As I've said before, you don't need to be active in terms of trianing and racing to post here. I'm never comforatble with the thought that I may have lost any of you, forever, when lapses occur. Of course, this is just plain selfish of me, as no one owes me anything and each of you, in time, will move irrevocably beyond this group and into some other phase of your life.

For now, though, i'm just glad to know how you're doing, and with this thought firnly in mind I will REALL:Y try to make an effort to keep up with you and Lisa and Jess and Neil on FB. I saw Trevor there the other day, which was also a very sweet blast from the past.

I guess i'm kind of like the old hermit who stays up in his shack in the high hills (BT) , and only comes down to civilization (FB) once in a blue moon. You think?

Edited by stevebradley 2011-07-05 6:59 PM
2011-07-05 7:02 PM
in reply to: #3582089

User image

Champion

LISA -

First, did you get my eamil from last week, last Monday to be exact? Judging from your post here, I think maybe not? Let me know if not, and I will re-send it. Look for it from "bigskies", and the title was something like "two-way updates".

And please check here soon, as I will post more after the T d'F replay. Also check PM and/or Inspire, where my address will be.

LOVE THE BLOGSITE!!!!

2011-07-05 9:11 PM
in reply to: #3580631

User image

Champion

Thanks, you three, for the thoughts about Richard "Dickie" (Wahakehnhoten) Oakes. (The parenthetical name is his Mohawk name.) He was born under a very bad sign, with a monster for a father (currently serving prison time for murder), and a huge accumulation of chips on his shoulder even at a young age; I had him in grade five. He was very intelligent, but generally damned if he was going to use it consistently -- or even sporadically. He was moody and prickly, and just didn't give one much with which to work. I can honestly say I gave it just about my best with him, but the seeds of a bad end were so deep in him that it was just inevitable. He even used to talk about how he would die young, and towards that end he nearly did himself in on a four-wheeler accident about two years ago; the car crash just seemed like finishing the task at hand for him. He would've been 19 on Aug 9.

So it goes.

2011-07-05 9:28 PM
in reply to: #3580631

User image

Champion

LISA again -

This'll be the first of a couple, as I have to shuffle off to sleep fairly soon.

If you missed it, I posted on your FB about maybe not doing the 50-miler. I then felt kind of bad about that, realizing that in spite of your meteoric triathlon rise, at heart you really DO enjoy those distance running challenges.

The I read about your psoas, on top of the other issues you've had/are having, and I agree with your statement that the off-season can't come soon enough in terms of giving you some downtime to allow full recovery and some alignment en route.

I wish I could illuminate you some about the psoas, but my problems in that area were pretty small, as well as many years ago. I think, however, that ART works really well with it, as would Graston. (You are such a bear for being able to tolerate Graston. Holy-moly!!)

As for the other porblems, I think it's fortunate that your foot matter was not PF. I suspect the torn/strained muscles will resolve themselves faster than PF, which as you know can be very persistent; "chronic" comes to mind. It was either here in an earleir post, or in my email to you last week, that I mentioned the timeline for my PF year in '08, and going EVERY run from about march until November with the foot taped -- AND wearing that boot at sleep every night. I kind of liken my experience with my shoulder separation versus my shoulder impingement as maybe similar to your muscle tear/starin versus PF. That is, the more traumatic option is the one that resolves itself more quickly. My separation put me out of swimming for about five weeks, which was far shorter than the 3+ months of the impingement!

As for the fibula --- better that than the tibia. I've read that fibula fractures are pretty quick healers, and even better for you if you got on yours early, which it sounds like you did. And if you have been running without that sickatating ache on the fracture spot, then you are probably okay. I could go back to my logs and find out how I "feathered" my tiem and distnce post-fracture, but at your age and with it affeceting a different bone, there are probably no valid comparisons to be made. But if you want more, just ask!

More later! (And lemme kmnow if you need a re-send of last Monday's email.)

2011-07-24 7:30 AM
in reply to: #3582286

User image

Champion

LISA - You've got this!!!!!!

And the weather seems to be on your side.....although Athlete Tracker isn't in mine. It's about 8:27, and no results are in yet. Wahhhhhhhh!

I will persist, and I WILL be following you. Have a blast!

2011-07-25 2:22 PM

User image

Master

Lisa KQ'd!!!

Not sure if she will be able to go to Kona or not this year, but I saw her post on FB, she's in if she wants it!

2011-07-27 7:15 AM
in reply to: #3613876

User image

Champion

NEIL -

I figure she's going, just because she had to pay the entry fee when she claimed the spot on Monday. Who's knows -- maybe we'll have to have bake sales and car washes in order to contribute to her Kona Fund.

Nothing new in what follows, but the relative injustice of the Kona qualifying comes into play became obvious, yet again, with Ryan's perfrmance at IMLP. His time was 10:57, I think, and he didn't qualify. And yet, the best two times for M60-60 were 12:13 and 14:43, then a 13:08, and one of those guys will go. O focurse, we all know who would have a "better" day at Kona, and that would be Ryan, but becasue of being in THE killer age-group, he doesn't get to race with her there. It just isn't right.

Lisa is a great case dtudy in how it is not necessary to train wall-to-wall for a race. Due to her injuries over the past few months, she had not run over 10 miles since March, i think she told me. But there she was on a demanding IMLP course, knocking off a 3:53 marathon on what on the surface appears to less-than-desirable run training. I guess that shows what Bse, and smarts, and pacing, and nutrition can do for one!

As for you, how are you doing with patching togther a season? Hopefully, you're faring better than I am! I am still struggling to make some sort of silk purse out a sow's ear, going from week-to-week and day-to-day wondering what issue will rear its ugly head next -- and whether or not I get fend it off before my next hoped-for race.

My perfect world, at this point, would be:
Aug 6 -- sprint
Aug 14 -- sprint
Aug 28 -- oly
Sept 11 -- oly
Sept 24 -- oly
Sept 25 -- sprint

Of those, the only ones I'm registered for are Aug 14 (West Point, and planning avengence on the bike course for last year's flat!!!!) and Sept 11 (Nations, in D.C.), and given that I have aleready eaten 2 or 3 race feees this season, I really want to make those two happen. We shall see!

Let us know how you're doing, okay?

2011-07-27 8:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Wow, I'm so excited for her!

Also so glad I've started to take my training more seriously. 

Lisa has really come a long way, and it seems like Fexy and this group have been great helpers. 

Awesome.

2011-07-28 5:08 PM

User image

Master

Well I recently joined a group myself.  Saw some guys one day at the pool (you know, the one so close I walk there...about 300 yds from my front door). Well, I had an IM water bottle and it struck up a conversation.  Turns out there is a brand new tri club in my part of town that actually uses that pool for practice among many other local workout spots.  I showed up to one of the Brick workouts later that week and there were over 50 people.  Wow, pretty good turnout.  The best part...free to join.  So for now I am still getting back into base fitness (meaning I do random stuff depending on how I feel that day) waiting to plan a few races.  I am thinking a repeat of that super hilly Magic Mountain Man tri (Oly) but thats niot till October.  So perhaps something willl pop up before then.  Another good part about this club is they are trying to be the biggest in California and to do that they take on "affiliate" clubs which means they link up with other local clubs and put together races (the free kind) between LA Tri Club, San Diego Tri Club, etc.  So looking forward to one of those.

Only thing set in stone is I am doing IMCA 70.3 again in April...but thats a long ways off.

It sucks to be injured, I know that routine.  Are you able to swim at least?  Trainer for the bike?

here is a link to the club

2011-07-28 7:00 PM
in reply to: #3619712

User image

Champion

NEIL -

Sure you joined a tri club and not a biker gang? That stuff about affiliates makes me think of the great HBO (or Fox) TV series "Sons of Anarchy"! A bike is a bike is a bike....unless it's a "hog"?

ANYHOW, good for doing that, and I hope it works well for you. I think there is a certain temperment that can thrive in a tri club (or run, or bike, or swim, club), and I suspect you have that temperment in spades. I'll be very interested to see how it all works for you.....so that places the onus on your to keep me posted!

As for Lisa, I onl;y learned yesterday that IMLP was wetdsuit-optional, menaing that people aiming to KQ or place in their a.g. couldn't wear one. So, with both of her IMs having been done sans wetsuit, that will not be an issue at all at Kona. And, of course, the swim there will be enhanced by the buoyancy of saltwater, so in theory it should require less work than either Louisville of Placid. Nice roll of the dice for her!!

As for me, I'm doing okay. My bike mileage has been drastically reduced since about march, but to my surprise the speed is still there. Most of the last 8 or so rides have had minimal discomfort, and as long as it doesn't rise above that I can still ride strong, which I guess is a tribute to a decent Base.

The same goes for the run, and that is aided by my lower weight, i am sure. I have been under 170 since mid-Juen, and most commonly at 166-168. Most years I don't hit that until late August, and then only hold it for a week before it creeps back up slightly above 170. But I think my Base is strong there, too.

For the swim, I'm doing lots -- about four OWS a week, each about 1600-1800m. I have done 37 OWS since May 29, and that is probably a record; on some idle day I will course through my logs and do a count, just to anuse myself!

All of that is not to say that I'm doing well, as I have issues that are making me crazy. As I unceremoniously told Lisa last week, I am f'ing fed up with hurting. The biggie is a mysterious deep hip problem that affects how long I can drive comfortably, and sit comfortably, and of course perch on a bike comfortably. I had a cortison shot about 6 weeks ago, and while initially things were better, the past few weeks have shown some wavering. I am trying to manage it while waiting for both my sports doc and the injection specialist to return from vacations!

Finally for me, I haven't ridden over 80 minutes since May, maybe, so any thoughts of a HIM are pretty much gone for this season. In fact, I worry some about olys, but as I posted a few days ago, some are in the works. I'm aiming for another injection --- either cortisone again or something more specilaized and costly (as in $400!).

And getting back to you, Magic Mountain is a good idea, and hopefully the tri club (and its affiliates) will join a race en masse....and you can play, too! Lisa's Fexy team makes a big, intimidating presence at many races, as do many other clubs. So, there should be something for you sooner than later. Here's hoping!

2011-07-28 7:03 PM
in reply to: #3616524

User image

Champion

NATHAN -

Mighty fine to hear that you've begun taking the training more seriously again! Any races in the works, or is it just the gradually process of building everything back up?

Great to have you still in contact here!!!

2011-07-28 7:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Steve, just starting to look into the local circuit. Took a new job here in town, and working on clients in the evening, developing products on the weekends, so I guess you could say I work so much that I need triathlon to keep me sane

I'm going to try a marathon here in Miami, and then find a race in the fall when it's cooler and the rain season has left for the year. We're probably going to move closer to the beach (St Petersburg) so I can swim and bike more, as the trails here are a bit far from my house. 

getting there!

2011-07-29 8:28 AM
in reply to: #3619840

User image

Champion

NATHAN -

I FULLY endorse the plan to move clsoer to the ocean!!!

Which marathon, and which late-season tri. I can't rmemebr the anme of it, but there is one that has several distances and that makes its way through the Miami Zoo on the run. This race got big raves last year in light of the massive mess-ups that plagued the inaugural Miami 70.3. In time, I will remember the name of the race and maybe even its web address.

One race group down that way is Buttar, and I think they have a few late-season races. They tried for a few years to develop some self-proclaimed masters and grandmasters "championships", but they didn't seem to take.

Stay sane with all those commitments you have!

2011-08-04 7:13 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
hey folks!

FIRST OF ALL!!!!........WHEN IS JESS GETTING MARRIED?  is it this weekend?  holy moly!  that is exciting!!  Do we know where she is on the IMLOO thing?  updates!  i need updates!!!   

Neil, that is awesome that you found a tri team right near you.  having FeXY has made a HUGE impact on me, both in triathlon and personally.  it's funny because, Scott, my coach and the founder/president of FeXY, lived in CA and was on the board of a tri team out there (not sure which one).  The team got really big, developed a lot of in-fighting and apparently got pretty messy.  when he came here, he wanted to develop a team that was smaller and more active.  As a result, FeXY actually has pretty high requirements for membership compared to most.  Technically, you have to attend 4 workouts or other events a month.  To get on the team, you have to be endorsed by an existing member and attend a minimum of 2 events before you even get an application.  there's no requirement to be fast.  in fact, some of our members are training for their first tri.  There's even been talk about shutting down new membership for a while because they don't want to get too big.  I think his vision was to create a group of people who were active, all knew each other and developed personal relationships.  so far, it's been a great recipe.  If i got to a workout or an event and see someone I don't know I know they are a brand new member.  otherwise, i know everyone else on the team.  i really like that.  there are a lot of other clubs in our area that are HUGE.  you can be a member of them, go to a workout and hardly know anyone.  There's nothing wrong with either option, but the model of FeXY definitely works for me.  I value relationships over all else ....but, I digress.  That's awesome that you found a team.  I hope it goes well for you.  Did I see in the picture that those blue and yellow kits were the team kit?  i like them a lot.  keep us posted.

nathan, a move to the beach sounds awesome!  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.  it's also cool that your training is starting to pick up again. 

...and so, on the Kona front, thanks for your earlier posts!  Nathan, you are totally right!  This group has had a lot to do with it.  as i mentioned above, i value relationships.  so, having you guys has been amazing over these last few years.  years!!!  seriously.  can you believe it?!

it was so amazing to see steve again at lake placid a few weeks ago.  I always get so excited to meet up with him.

steve, when the whole kona stuff went down, i rang your phone off the hook cause I wanted to tell you before you saw it on facebook, but, alas, that is the one day you actually decided to get on facebook.  bust.   
i was freaking over the moon.  it was a complete surprise and i am so, so happy.
so, yes, i'm totally going.  condo is booked.  have to get our plane tickets in the next day or so.  it's ridiculous.

i know a bunch of you guys have followed it, but i just posted the IM LP race report and the kona story on my blog, www.hooslisa.com.  Steve, you'll want to start with the RR first I think.

i've loved having this blog.  for starters, i was logging in a few different places, so it's nice to have one place where anyone who cares can go.  it will also be a nice record for me of these events for later on.  truthfully, it's also my dream that someday i can use this as a jumping off point for getting my foot in the door for writing for a tri or fitness magazine.  also, if i ever get into coaching myself (which does interest me), it would be good to have a small following to start with.  just setting myself up for the bigger picture.  right now, though, i'm just having a lot of fun writing and getting my thoughts out there for my own use.  I've always loved writing.  it's nice to be doing it again.

steve!  how are you feeling?  did you go back and get that foam roller?  any help?  we bought the trigger point set and I vow I will start using it today.  i actually vowed I would start  using it on august 1st, but today i mean it! 

k, well, have a great days!  i have to run!

xoxoxox
2011-08-04 8:47 AM
in reply to: #3628380

User image

Champion

LISA -

Great to have the updates here! I've ythought several times to phone you just to see how it is all sinking in, and how the post-race recovery went, but I didn't want to be a pest. After getting your "phone me!" email right after LP I tried a couple of times but just got your voice message; I think I left a long one the first time, and then a shorter one the next time. And then I just figured I'd let you enjoy those final couple of days in Placid without any more outside static than was necessary.

VERY excited to hear you are mostly all booked and ready to go, but have this nagging thought eating at me -- you ARE going to pass on Savageman this year, yes? I'm not sure of the date, but guess it's about Sept 18 or 25 maybe, which is about where it's been the past couple of years. I think? On the one hand it would have fine training benefits for Kona, although nothing Kona will throw at you will be topographically what is at Savageman. So, how will you do it? Will Svgmn be Ryan's end-of-season event, and Kona yours? Or will you in fact "double-dip"? If you choose the latter, this will be one very epic season for you!!

Jess is getting married next Saturday, the 13th. I'm sure of that, cuz it's the day before West Point and I'm still trying to think of a way to combine it.

That said, I am now worried about West Point! I am in the middle (I hope it's the middle!!) of a bad back siege, worst one I've had in over a decade, i think. This will probably put me out of running for Fronhofer Tool sprint this Saturday, which I was hoping to do as it's a 2pm start and I could just leave from here at about 9, do the race, and then return. But I will need a massive turnaround with the back to make Fronhofer happen.

It went out last weekend, but was getting abit better until yesterday when I went to go for a bike ride. I went to put my bike in the back of the car, and the low back spasmed, and I dropped to my knees. Literally. It's best when I'm vertical, worst when seated -- which reminds me it's going to hurt like crazy to get up in a few minutes! Well, just another woe to add to the litany of them that have plagued me this season. Is this The Season That Never Really Was? I sure hope not, but.......

No, I didn't go back for the big foam roller. I maybe should've, but that was one of my relatively rare frugal-days. There were a pile of things I passed on that day, but probably the foam roller is the only one I regret not getting. I guess i should just order it, huh?

I may have groused about NAS preferentially stocking the expo with "their" products only, but I gotta tell you -- the new falvors of PowerGel are superb. Kona Punch is off the charts, Tangerine is great, Green Apple evry unique. And the consistency is superb, nice and loose like I like it. So, I will still think that NAS ought to be far more respectful of the many, many hundreds of athletes who choose to fuel other than with "Power-" products, but that stuff does seem to do right by me.

I will get over to your blog right after this; it's something else I forgot about in the past little while, much as I tend to almost always forget about Facebook. DOH! But it's very intriguing about where you might like to go with that, and especially intriguing is the thought about coaching --- about which I fully believe, no questions, you'd be magnificent. Any timeline on that one?

Speaking of timeline, I gotta get outta here and relieve/release my back. This will be neither pretty nor fun. Bugger it! But I'm aiming for a swim in an hour or two, and those often work well on my back even when it's just a tad tight. I like to think it has to do with extending it through the act of swimming. or something like that.

Regards to Ryan --- and thank him for "tagging" those two photos to me! Great ones of you two, but as for me......well, even the Roo's rear end in the one photo looks better than I do in either. Sigh. Out-cuted by a dog's tokhis. Sheesh.

2011-08-04 9:42 AM

User image

Expert
Bethesda, MD/Northern NJ

HEY ALLLLL

Sorry I've been so MIA - things have  been crazy around here IMLoo is out for this year - I processed my refund. Between work, wedding, etc, I just didn't have enough time in the day. And that's ok I have been thoroughly enjoying what training I have been doing - just on my own, when I have time.  I ride my new bike pretty often, and I'm still in love with it I am really having a love affair with the bike this summer - I guess its my third summer of riding, and I'm finally starting to feel more comfortable (and more ambitious) with it.

STEVE - are you coming? I hope you can make it!! If you're able to make it down for Saturday morning, you're in for a treat - Mark and I have planned a "Wedding Day 5k" - complete with t-shirts and mugs to award to age group winners He's been running fast lately - 22 minutes and 21 minutes in his last two 5k outings, and he's looking for some real competition.  I recruited a few runners to challenge him  I'm planning on running with Eli, which will slow me down a little bit, but that's fine with me!

Sorry about Fronhofer - I remember reading about those races when you did them last year and thinking they were very cool.  Take it easy, and I hope you're able to get your redemption at West Point.  Let me know what your plans are - if you need camping space or anything, let me know

LISA - your two blog posts are incredible.  Obviously, I knew that you were going to Kona before I read the second one... but wow. I cannot believe how emotional it must have been - to be close, not get it, and then get that extra spot.   I am so glad you went to roll-down, got that spot, and you're going to live out your dream You are seriously an inspiration ::hugs:: Also, you SHOULD be writing for a tri magazine or website.

Oh! And I echo Steve's questions about Savageman! I was cleaning out my car yesterday (getting ready to have lots of international guests that I'll have to drive around!) and I found a flyer for S-man, that I must have gotten at Eagleman. And I remembered you were registered for that... So, you're not doing the double right? It's too close? You're going to go be Ryan's cheerleader??

As for my iron aspirations, IMLoo is out for this year, so I'm trying to plan ahead for next year. We're not going on a honeymoon right away, but we do have tentative plans to hike the Inca Trail (!!!!) next May or June. I am considering, however, getting a community fund slot to the Ironman NYC.  I hesitated the first day of registration, and obviously it sold out.  So, now it's more expensive BUT - since I live so close, I wouldn't need to get a hotel or transportation to the race, I'd have all my friends and family here, I could train in a similar environment, etc. It's very appealing. I think I'd still come out ahead money-wise than if I just signed up for IMLoo again. I guess I should figure out how many CF slots are left and how soon I'd need to register. 

Thoughts on that?

2011-08-09 3:21 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
i'm definitely NOT doing savageman.  ryan is trying to fall on the sword and say he's not doing it either because he doesn't want to interfere with my training with a trip to mchenry, md for the race.  i made it clear that I am happy to go stand on the westernport wall and cheer for him and that there will be plenty of opportunity for me to swim, bike and run while there.  i further made it clear that if he doesn't want to do it, fine, but that he is NOT to use me as an excuse. 
that shut him up.  i think he really doesn't want to do it and was enjoying using me as his get out of jail free card. 

i don't think so.

JESS!!!!!  OMG, the wedding is almost here!!!!!

i'm sure you have family and friends starting to come into town.  i'm wishing you the most amazing week ever!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » stevebradley's Mentor Group FULL Rss Feed  

of 264