General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Kansas 70.3 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2009-06-09 11:41 AM
in reply to: #2204883

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman Kansas 70.3 : Official Thread

Tell3131 - 2009-06-09 10:14 AM
xcrunner2010 - 2009-06-09 8:22 AM
Tell3131 - 2009-06-08 2:03 PM

Me, I ride clinchers.  Maybe a few 100 grams more, but not a big enough difference over the long haul.  To each their own I guess. 

Wouldn't the longer races have an even bigger differences

Nope.  If we wanted light weight bikes, then I would ride my 14lb Tarmac SL2 with Hed Ardennes wheels. . .we want aero bikes. .. the few hundered grams that Tubulars weigh less than clinchers can be made up in other areas.  Plus aero trumps weight.  And MOST courses are flatter than they are hillier (sp?). 

I find it funny that we worry about weight of our wheels, when in fact the tons of water bottle/food/gear that we take with us weighs much more than the wheel difference.  Or perhaps if I lost that 5-10 extra pounds around my waist that would make a bigger difference (that reference is to me personally)

I have never changed a tubular.  Is it easier to change?  Maybe. . I don't know.  I know that I am comfortable on clinchers, they ride fine by me and the weight difference isn't enough for me to sell all 4 sets of the clincher wheelsets and switch to tubulars. 

Pros ride tubulars in road races (Giro, Tour, etc), but they also either have teammate that will give them a wheel or a team car or a Mavic Car with wheels all over it. 

Chrissie Wellington uses clinchers. . ..

No, no. Keep the weight on, we don't need you getting any faster. In fact, see previous posts regarding Mexican food and racing/training. If you try hard, you could put on 10-15 lbs by Sunday.

2009-06-09 10:21 PM
in reply to: #1897474

User image

Expert
St. Louis
With everything else the same and your riding 808 clinchers rather than 808 tubulars are you saying that you are gonig to go faster....  Less weight  = faster even if it is only a coupla secs
2009-06-10 7:42 AM

Question for those of you who raced last year....My husband and I are both racing this year and Grandma is keeping our four kids (ages 9,6,4 and 2) overnight.  She would like to bring them down in the morning (at a reasonable time!) but I'm not sure, other then being outside at a campground, if there'll be anything for them to do. Does anyone know if the booths have any "family" things, or should Grandma come prepared with frisbees and balls and the like?
Sorry to break into the conversation with such a non-technical or truly race related question! I do appreciate any insight you can give though. TIA!
2009-06-10 8:11 AM
in reply to: #2206698

User image

Expert
Missouri
xcrunner2010 - 2009-06-09 10:21 PM With everything else the same and your riding 808 clinchers rather than 808 tubulars are you saying that you are gonig to go faster....  Less weight  = faster even if it is only a coupla secs

I am saying it matters more about the person than the equipment.  .but if you have the exact same person and they are on clinchers vs tubulars and the exact same weight bike except the only weight savings is the tubular vs clinchers, then they might save 8-10 seconds overall??  But the main thing here is if they get a flat. 

Question to you:  Have you ever changed a Tubular before?  If not, then go with clinchers, unless you want to learn and practice before race day. 

But, this is your race, and only you can make the best decision for you. 
2009-06-10 8:44 AM
in reply to: #2206957

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
one-hooah-family - 2009-06-10 7:42 AM Question for those of you who raced last year....My husband and I are both racing this year and Grandma is keeping our four kids (ages 9,6,4 and 2) overnight.  She would like to bring them down in the morning (at a reasonable time!) but I'm not sure, other then being outside at a campground, if there'll be anything for them to do. Does anyone know if the booths have any "family" things, or should Grandma come prepared with frisbees and balls and the like?
Sorry to break into the conversation with such a non-technical or truly race related question! I do appreciate any insight you can give though. TIA!

Don't know if you saw, but there is a spectator guide on the web site http://www.ironmankansas.com/09IMKSpecGuide.pdf

It has some coupons for places in Lawrence, which is cool!
I would DEFINITELY recommend that Grandma bring things to entertain the kiddos. Lots of things. I thought that last year's spectator guide had a list of suggested items spectators bring, but I didn't see that in this year's guide. Some stuff I remember is: lawn chairs, sunscreen, bug spray, FOOD, DRINKS, games, football/frisbie, MP3 player, coloring books, UMBRELLA (haha), etc.

One idea would be to bring posterboard and markers and have the kids make you guys a sign you can see as you come into T2 or the finish line. That might keep them busy for a bit...
2009-06-10 9:02 AM
in reply to: #2207137

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
lisac957 - 2009-06-10 9:44 AM

one-hooah-family - 2009-06-10 7:42 AM Question for those of you who raced last year....My husband and I are both racing this year and Grandma is keeping our four kids (ages 9,6,4 and 2) overnight.  She would like to bring them down in the morning (at a reasonable time!) but I'm not sure, other then being outside at a campground, if there'll be anything for them to do. Does anyone know if the booths have any "family" things, or should Grandma come prepared with frisbees and balls and the like?

Don't know if you saw, but there is a spectator guide on the web site http://www.ironmankansas.com/09IMKSpecGuide.pdf

I would DEFINITELY recommend that Grandma bring things to entertain the kiddos. Lots of things. I thought that last year's spectator guide had a list of suggested items spectators bring, but I didn't see that in this year's guide. Some stuff I remember is: lawn chairs, sunscreen, bug spray, FOOD, DRINKS, games, football/frisbie, MP3 player, coloring books, UMBRELLA (haha), etc.

One idea would be to bring posterboard and markers and have the kids make you guys a sign you can see as you come into T2 or the finish line. That might keep them busy for a bit...

x2- races are boring, even for adults (just ask my boyfriend!)

They are going to need to get into the campground VERY early- make sure you check the website for the times that they are allowing cars in, because they will be closing the roads for the race. Also, depending on your kids, they could even try to volunteer at an aid station, or be near one to 'help out'- which could be fun.

Just don't forget sunscreen! It is a long day out there! You could bring a tent to set up at a campsite in case the young ones need a nap.

2009-06-10 12:34 PM
in reply to: #2207214

New user

jazz82482 - 2009-06-10 9:02 AM
lisac957 - 2009-06-10 9:44 AM

x2- races are boring, even for adults (just ask my boyfriend!) They are going to need to get into the campground VERY early- make sure you check the website for the times that they are allowing cars in, because they will be closing the roads for the race. Also, depending on your kids, they could even try to volunteer at an aid station, or be near one to 'help out'- which could be fun. Just don't forget sunscreen! It is a long day out there! You could bring a tent to set up at a campsite in case the young ones need a nap.

I am thinking, if I read it all correctly, that the campsite and athlete parking is closed early.

The spectator/volunteer parking looks to be open all day.  The shuttles are said to run from the spectator/volunteer parking to the campsite from 6am to 3pm anyway.
2009-06-10 1:43 PM
in reply to: #2207035

User image

Expert
St. Louis
Tell3131 - 2009-06-10 8:11 AM
xcrunner2010 - 2009-06-09 10:21 PM With everything else the same and your riding 808 clinchers rather than 808 tubulars are you saying that you are gonig to go faster....  Less weight  = faster even if it is only a coupla secs

I am saying it matters more about the person than the equipment.  .but if you have the exact same person and they are on clinchers vs tubulars and the exact same weight bike except the only weight savings is the tubular vs clinchers, then they might save 8-10 seconds overall??  But the main thing here is if they get a flat. 

Question to you:  Have you ever changed a Tubular before?  If not, then go with clinchers, unless you want to learn and practice before race day. 

But, this is your race, and only you can make the best decision for you. 

I agree totally and so does my mom...She found a deal that I can rent brand new 404 clinchers for this kansas and use the money it costs to rent to pay for a used set(5-7 races) of 404 tubulars.  Clincher for the long race... Tubular for my sprint / olypmic distance tris and all of my road races where i have either a wheel truck or the pits.
2009-06-10 3:15 PM

User image

Veteran

My fiance thought she would get to go to Mass Street for shopping while im out suffering, i mean enjoying the course.  she wasnt too excited when i told her she instead got to spend the whole day in the park.  With my Parents...  I guess i'll ask her if she wants me to bring some markers and cardboard.....Not sure what she would write though!!!!

2009-06-10 5:39 PM
in reply to: #2208422

User image

Expert
St. Louis
kburk09 - 2009-06-10 3:15 PM

My fiance thought she would get to go to Mass Street for shopping while im out suffering, i mean enjoying the course.  she wasnt too excited when i told her she instead got to spend the whole day in the park.  With my Parents...  I guess i'll ask her if she wants me to bring some markers and cardboard.....Not sure what she would write though!!!!

make sure she parks in the right lot
2009-06-10 8:29 PM
in reply to: #2208422

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
kburk09 - 2009-06-10 3:15 PM

Yeah if you look at the spectator guide it looks like spectator parking is accessible and has shuttles running all day so people can come and go, or arrive later, or whatever.

2009-06-10 9:14 PM

User image

Veteran
if its anything like shuttles at airports or amusements parks i'm not to sure how consistent they'll be, but we're camping and my car is going to be right there in the middle of it all, so i dont think shes going to drive her own car, leave it overnight in a totally seperate parking lot,  just so she can sneak away for some urban outfitters or chipolte....

only a few days left though...getting excited who is going to be there early, i'm sure people are already making their way to lawrence, i'll be there friday afternoon....
2009-06-11 6:22 AM
in reply to: #2209123

User image

Expert
work, road, bike, pool
NEW WEATHER FORCAST

Sun Jun 14

Scattered T-Storms
75° HIGH
64° LOW
40%

2009-06-11 9:47 AM
in reply to: #2209442

User image

Expert
St. Louis
tri-dg - 2009-06-11 6:22 AM NEW WEATHER FORCAST Sun Jun 14 Scattered T-Storms 75° HIGH 64° LOW 40%

I looked a coupla days ago and the high was supposed to be 85.

Daily Details for
Lawrence, KS
<script type="text/javascript">[ English | Metric ]

<script type="text/javascript"><form method="post"> <script type="text/javascript">

Weather for your life

<script type="text/javascript">
<form id="dropdownForm">

DayNight

Scattered T-Storms
High
77°F

Precip
40%

Wind:E 9 mph
Max. Humidity:72%
UV Index:6 High

Sunrise:5:55 AM CT
Avg. High:85°F
Record High:97°F (1963)

Showers
Overnight Low
65°F

Precip
40%

Wind:E 6 mph
Max. Humidity:78%

Sunset:8:48 PM CT
Avg. Low:65°F
Record Low:44°F (1942)

Last Updated Thursday, Jun 11, 9:08 AM Central Daylight Time

Only 9mph Wind....WOOT WOOT... the time i rode the course it was upper 20mph winds

Edited by xcrunner2010 2009-06-11 9:51 AM
2009-06-11 3:10 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Don't worry about the weather too much, that is one of the only things we can't control. . . whatever the day gives us we can take.  I remember riding in 28 degree weather with a wind that cut right through you. . . .  Can't be worse than that.   

2009-06-11 10:23 PM
in reply to: #2211402

User image

Expert
work, road, bike, pool
who else is going to be at packet pick up tomorrow? Im going to try to get there around 3.

2009-06-11 10:59 PM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Sorry, Me and FreckleFace won't be there until late tomorrow. Come by and say hello on Saturday... I'll be drinking a few pre-race PBR's at dinner time.
2009-06-12 8:22 AM

Thanks all for the suggestions for the kids. I know my oldest would LOVE to help out - she just did her first tri a month or so ago and thinks the whole thing is pretty neat.  We'll make sure to bring extra markers/poster board/ tents/ bubbles etc. in case any extra kids or fiances want something to do! Laughing Only two more days!! WOOHOO!
2009-08-23 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2212317

I signed up for Lawrence 2010 and looking to connect with other athletes. I live in Leawood.

[email protected]
816-876-9184

Todd Natenberg
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Kansas 70.3 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 14