Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Tim Tebow = .... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-01-09 2:50 PM
in reply to: #1897759

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Tim Tebow = ....
there are certain things that guys who make it in the pros have that guys who have fabulous college careers but flop in the pros don't....the "x" factors that are not apparent to all of us arm-chair QB's....Leadership skill has been heaped deservedly on Tebow. You can't teach that. Coming out of college I would compare him more to Larry Bird. Not GREAT physical skills. But an awareness of what is happening at any given moment and how to make that moment a success....IMO he will be a very good NFL qb. He is very different that the 'system' qb's such as Andre Ware, Colt Brennan, or "pick any BYU qb from the 80's" type....

also, greatest college player of all time? Nah, I'd throw my vote to Barry Sanders.

2009-01-09 2:57 PM
in reply to: #1898197

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
colesdad - 2009-01-09 3:39 PM
jdwright56 - 2009-01-09 3:13 PM

While I do admire the things that Mr. Tebow has done through his college career that he didn't necessarily "have to do" and it does seem, from the outside in, that he has a great attitude and a heck of a personality, I am very tired of being clubbed over the head with his "goodness" by ESPN  et al.  I forgive hearing about it again during the game last night, because I assume that, like the Super Bowl, some of the folks watching don't pay attention to the college football world like some of us seem to.  In reality, however, the folks that watch ESPN are people that know who Tim Tebow is and know what he has accomplished.  I think this is a general fault that I have with ESPN.  Brett Favre is another good example of this.  Have you noted the Ed Reed love of late? 

Yesterday, I was driving home from work. listening to ESPN radio, and a college football analyst said that Florida would win last night because "Tim Tebow is the best college football player of all time."  That is a huge - and I think incorrect - statement.  It seems like ESPN tends to get caught up in the moment. 

Now, I could sit here and list, maybe 100 players that were great in college, that for one reason or another, didn't have a great - even good, Pro career.  That doesn't take anything away from their collegiate accomplishments, however.  Some were injured (Grant Hill), some just didn't pan out (Archie Griffin), some were killed (Nile Kinnick).  Good lord, lay off of the guy.

In the same breath, however, someone needs to grab the reigns on these "expert analysts" and take away the energy drinks and the love potion #9.

IMO and it's based on about 25 years of watching College Football I believe Tebow is the greatest college player I've seen. He is an absolute monster and his ability to take over a game that involves athletes of the caliber he plays against and with is absolutely stunning. I was trying to think back to some guys who should/would be in the conversation. I will say Hugh Green was the greatest defensive player I've seen. On offense you have Vince Young in recent years who was just an incredible college player. Other guys who come to mind are Herschel Walker, Bo Jackson and Earl Campbell (what a best he was). I wasn't sure how good Tebow really was but last night clinched it. Minimum top 6 of all time for me and if he comes back will probably be #1.

I agree.  He "may not' be the "Best" ever, but he certainly deserves to be in the conversation of the best ever COLLEGE football players.  As of today: 2 National titles, 1 Heisman, (Finished 3rd this year, but I think he actually had the most first place votes).  I think the kid is going to stay. (God help me!  I want him to go to the pros so FSU doesn't have to see him again next year)  If he stays, UF has a shot at repeating.  Even if they don't he has a shot at being invited to the Downtown athletic club again.  3 times as a finalist for the Heisman? 2 or possible 3 national championships... that's rarified air!

The two best I've ever seen in person were Do Jackson (who ran for something like 280 yards against FSU in 1985) and Charlie Ward (put I'm partial).  I think Tebow is far better than Charlie and is in the same sentence as Bo.

2009-01-09 2:58 PM
in reply to: #1898197

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
colesdad - 2009-01-09 2:39 PM
jdwright56 - 2009-01-09 3:13 PM

While I do admire the things that Mr. Tebow has done through his college career that he didn't necessarily "have to do" and it does seem, from the outside in, that he has a great attitude and a heck of a personality, I am very tired of being clubbed over the head with his "goodness" by ESPN  et al.  I forgive hearing about it again during the game last night, because I assume that, like the Super Bowl, some of the folks watching don't pay attention to the college football world like some of us seem to.  In reality, however, the folks that watch ESPN are people that know who Tim Tebow is and know what he has accomplished.  I think this is a general fault that I have with ESPN.  Brett Favre is another good example of this.  Have you noted the Ed Reed love of late? 

Yesterday, I was driving home from work. listening to ESPN radio, and a college football analyst said that Florida would win last night because "Tim Tebow is the best college football player of all time."  That is a huge - and I think incorrect - statement.  It seems like ESPN tends to get caught up in the moment. 

Now, I could sit here and list, maybe 100 players that were great in college, that for one reason or another, didn't have a great - even good, Pro career.  That doesn't take anything away from their collegiate accomplishments, however.  Some were injured (Grant Hill), some just didn't pan out (Archie Griffin), some were killed (Nile Kinnick).  Good lord, lay off of the guy.

In the same breath, however, someone needs to grab the reigns on these "expert analysts" and take away the energy drinks and the love potion #9.

IMO and it's based on about 25 years of watching College Football I believe Tebow is the greatest college player I've seen. He is an absolute monster and his ability to take over a game that involves athletes of the caliber he plays against and with is absolutely stunning. I was trying to think back to some guys who should/would be in the conversation. I will say Hugh Green was the greatest defensive player I've seen. On offense you have Vince Young in recent years who was just an incredible college player. Other guys who come to mind are Herschel Walker, Bo Jackson and Earl Campbell (what a best he was). I wasn't sure how good Tebow really was but last night clinched it. Minimum top 6 of all time for me and if he comes back will probably be #1.

Don't get me wrong, I would certainly put him in the conversation, but one thing that I think we tend to do is forget about past players of more than 20 years when we have these discussions.  Herchel, Bo, Earl, Barry Sanders, OJ, Eric Dickerson - the list goes on, and that is just running backs.  To your point as well, I think that it is important to note that you said "best player I have ever seen".  OK, but you have, by your statement, only been watching college football for 25 years.  That was what, 1983?  There were a heck of a lot of great college football players pre-1983.  Red Grange, Doak Walker, Tony Dorsett, Jim Thorpe, Glenn Davis, Jim Brown, Bronco Nagurski, Ernie Nevers, Dick Butkus, Charlie Trippi, and all of the guys you mentioned in your post .........

I would not say that Tim Tebow is the best of all of these (Grange or Sanders - though my heart and loyalty go to Hershel).

2009-01-09 2:59 PM
in reply to: #1898239

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,

Rad-Onc PA - 2009-01-09 3:50 PM there are certain things that guys who make it in the pros have that guys who have fabulous college careers but flop in the pros don't....the "x" factors that are not apparent to all of us arm-chair QB's....Leadership skill has been heaped deservedly on Tebow. You can't teach that. Coming out of college I would compare him more to Larry Bird. Not GREAT physical skills. But an awareness of what is happening at any given moment and how to make that moment a success....IMO he will be a very good NFL qb. He is very different that the 'system' qb's such as Andre Ware, Colt Brennan, or "pick any BYU qb from the 80's" type.... .

I hope you're right, I'd love to see the kid succeed in the pros. 

2009-01-09 3:09 PM
in reply to: #1898239

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Rad-Onc PA - 2009-01-09 3:50 PM

there are certain things that guys who make it in the pros have that guys who have fabulous college careers but flop in the pros don't....the "x" factors that are not apparent to all of us arm-chair QB's....Leadership skill has been heaped deservedly on Tebow. You can't teach that. Coming out of college I would compare him more to Larry Bird. Not GREAT physical skills. But an awareness of what is happening at any given moment and how to make that moment a success....IMO he will be a very good NFL qb. He is very different that the 'system' qb's such as Andre Ware, Colt Brennan, or "pick any BYU qb from the 80's" type....

also, greatest college player of all time? Nah, I'd throw my vote to Barry Sanders.

I would say though that Tebow does have great physical skills. He just hasn't played in a system that let's you know how he does dropping back from center, etc. To me he is big, strong, very good arm and quick feet. Plus the X factors that you mention tenacity, knowing when to take over, etc. As far as Sanders, most exciting player ever probably but doesn't get my vote for greatest. For me probably the 5th best RB.
2009-01-09 3:47 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

An athlete with his skills and attitude will be successful in pro football. Maybe at QB, maybe not. He could be a monster TE or H Back.

Great college football players don't always become great Pro players and the converse is true. Plenty of late round and/or undrafted players make the pro bowl and Hall of Fame.

2009-01-09 4:04 PM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida

i might get flamed for this.....but am i the only one that thinks Tebow having scripture on his eye black is inappropriate?

UF is a public university and i think he shouldn't be allowed to display scripture openly like he has.   not everyone is Christian or shares his beliefs.   i'd be interested to see what would happen if someone chose to have something Islamic written on their face and if that would be allowed.

i'm not meaning to stir the pot, but it bothers me.   if he were playing for a private Christian university....i might buy it.

anyone else but might feel that way?   if not, carry on

Edited by xmann1102 2009-01-09 4:05 PM
2009-01-09 4:06 PM
in reply to: #1898511

User image

Champion
xmann1102 - 2009-01-09 4:04 PM

i might get flamed for this.....but am i the only one that thinks Tebow having scripture on his eye black is inappropriate?

UF is a public university and i think he shouldn't be allowed to display scripture openly like he has.   not everyone is Christian or shares his beliefs.   i'd be interested to see what would happen if someone chose to have something Islamic written on their face and if that would be allowed.

i'm not meaning to stir the pot, but it bothers me.   if he were playing for a private Christian university....i might buy it.

It's just you.

2009-01-09 4:12 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-01-09 4:14 PM

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
xmann1102 - 2009-01-09 5:04 PM

Nope, and this is from someone who doesn't read/follow the Bible.

2009-01-09 4:21 PM

Expert
Ocala, Florida

my wife is a Physical Therapist at a public facility and they absolutly cannot read their Bible or have any type of religious studies while working or inside the facility.   because individuals have such strong religious beliefs, can you really not be surprised that policies like these are in place?

if you want to get anyone started in a heated discussion bring up religion, race, or politics.   there is just a time and place for everything and i personally don't think Tebow having scripture on his face is the time nor the place.   again, i gotta believe there are others (maybe not on this site) who feel it's inappropriate. 

it also doesn't help when every commentator talks about Tebow like he is the second coming.    oh i'm sorry, i meant Superman

2009-01-09 4:24 PM

Champion
Can we just get back to how Tebow's tears cure various diseases?
2009-01-09 4:27 PM

Expert
Ocala, Florida

lol, nice

and i'm just gonna stop right now because i honestly don't want to hurt any of my friends here feelings.   just an observation i've made after watching him play this season.

2009-01-09 4:40 PM
in reply to: #1898553

Master
Dothan, Al
xmann1102 - 2009-01-09 4:21 PM

my wife is a Physical Therapist at a public facility and they absolutely cannot read their Bible or have any type of religious studies while working or inside the facility.   because individuals have such strong religious beliefs, can you really not be surprised that policies like these are in place?

if you want to get anyone started in a heated discussion bring up religion, race, or politics.   there is just a time and place for everything and i personally don't think Tebow having scripture on his face is the time nor the place.   again, i gotta believe there are others (maybe not on this site) who feel it's inappropriate. 

it also doesn't help when every commentator talks about Tebow like he is the second coming.    oh i'm sorry, i meant Superman

Yea it's much better to have Reggie Bush with his father's prison number painted in his eye black.Undecided

There are plenty of things I find inappropriate on TV, know what I do? I change the  channel. If you don't like the fact Tim Tebow has Bible Scripture written on his face don't watch the game. If you want to watch the game in spite of him having it there, it must not be that important to you.  Oh yea, what ever you do, don't read my signature. Wink

Edited by ditchdoc 2009-01-09 4:40 PM
2009-01-09 6:49 PM
in reply to: #1897928

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
uclamatt2007 - 2009-01-09 2:29 PM

I 'm thinking that the connection is that they are all players that the media fawns over. All of them were/are great college players, but the media tries to elevate them even more. You could say the same thing about Brett Favre on the professional level. Whether or not this is because they are succesful white athletes is another discussion, but in my opinion, the media got a little carried a way with all of them.

BINGO!!!!! Glad to see you don't have as thin of skin as many other BT'ers seem to have. Thom Brennaman was a perfect example last night. I thought some of the comments were down right embarrassing. I have nothing against Tebow, he seems like a good guy. However, he is not Superman and he can not cure cancer. He's just a kid that happens to be a good quarterback and apparently loves to win.

I understand he has heart, but that and a quarter will get you a job in the Canadian league because it doesn't mean squat in the NFL.
2009-01-09 6:50 PM

Expert
Ocala, Florida

ya because i definitely agree with Reggie Bush....glad you pointed that out.   must have struck a nerve there huh?

and ya, i agree Thom Brennaman is a piece of work.   i like the comment he made that said something to the effect that if you spend 5 minutes with Tebow you are a better person because of it.

Edited by xmann1102 2009-01-09 6:54 PM

2009-01-09 8:49 PM

Champion
Northridge, California
xmann1102 - 2009-01-09 2:04 PM

Just you...sorry. (And I'm a Pagan, so no pro-Scripture bias.) If he was actually an employee of the UF, I suppose that could be different, in certain contexts, but I can't really think of one. Would you tell an employee of a state university they couldn't...say...wear a crucifix (or a Star of David or a pentacle or whatever) on the job?
2009-01-09 9:00 PM
in reply to: #1898791

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
xmann1102 - 2009-01-09 7:50 PM

and ya, i agree Thom Brennaman is a piece of work.  

Game and performance aside, Brennaman was completely out of control. Someone should have ordered a 'hand check' during some of his soliloqies. I think they're married, really.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Tim Tebow = .... Rss Feed  

of 2