General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training in Palm Desert Week of March 13 -20 for IMC Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-12 11:21 AM

Subject: Training in Palm Desert Week of March 13 -20 for IMC

Hello

My family will be on spring break in Palm Desert and I really want to train during the week. I am looking for a pool with *ideal* a Master/Swim club for swim workouts and some riding ideas. 

Thanks for any help and I can certainly return the favor if  you are coming to Canada any time soon to train for Penticton!

2009-01-14 2:13 PM
in reply to: #1902317

New user
Subject: RE: Training in Palm Desert Week of March 13 -20 for IMC

i can't comment on swimming locations, but i do know that most of the roads in the palm springs area are very wide with plenty of room for cyclists.  they also tend to run in a grid with stop lights that are well spaced out.  i found a route that might work for you http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/map.asp?routeid=48434.

2009-01-14 4:50 PM
in reply to: #1902317

Subject: RE: Training in Palm Desert Week of March 13 -20 for IMC

http://palmsprings.com/active.html#swim

GREAT pool in Palm Springs.  Very close to PD.  My wife and I swim here often.  There IS a Masters' program, but it's hard to find online.  Either way, lane lines stay in all day and it's warm.

I am fairly new to the area, so my riding routes are pretty tame.  However, this one will keep you in easy range of a pickup in case you have issues and doesn't have many stops at all.

From the Palm Springs village area, go north on Palm Canyon drive until you cannot go any further or you'll be on I-10.  Turn around, ride back to the Palm Springs Visitor Center (good stop to pee if necessary).  From there, go east on San Rafael until you hit Indian Canyon Road.  Go north, crossing over I-10, and continue until you hit CA-62.  Turn around, come back.  Detour through Desert Hot Springs if you like.  That's about 50 miles.  I can't remember.

If you want a GOOD hill, go up the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway Road (from Visitor Center mentioned previously).  It's tough.  Little ring, out of the saddle most of the way tough.

If you look for Palm Springs of Google Maps, it's easy to see.  Also note that most "bike routes" you see online in this area are more of the meandering-sidewalk-with-people-on-comfort-bikes kinds of routes.  Not recommended.

Scott Molina used to train here, so it's the real deal.  You can also look up Mitch Gold at Counterpart Coaching.  He's a Palm Springs guy and very friendly.  He mentioned other routes to me, but I'm down for a few weeks post-surgery.

Give me a holler when you get to town!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training in Palm Desert Week of March 13 -20 for IMC Rss Feed