Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Need help feeding 6 year old Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-14 12:07 PM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
Subject: Need help feeding 6 year old

OK, I've got a 6 year old daughter.  I do the cooking for the family.  I get home from work around 5:30 and my daughter goes to bed at 8:00.

My daughter is a picky eater: chicken nuggets, pasta w/ red sauce, bean tacos, no green veggies, although now all of  a sudden she likes broccoli.

Give me some quick suggestions (recipes if applicable) for an easy to prepare, kid friendly, nutritious meal.  I'm at a loss, I'm doing the same meals over and over and over.

2009-01-14 12:15 PM
in reply to: #1907179

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Subject: RE: Need help feeding 6 year old

Whenever I get a request to make pasta and red sauce, I always mix in a lot of veggies.

I layer a small amount of pasta on the bottom of the bowl, then a big layer of sautee or steamed veggies (zucchini, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.) put the red sauce over the top, and sprinkle with cheese.   You could call it lasanga in a bowl or something like that.

Fake chicken pot pie is easy to make too.  Chicken broth, chicken, veggies in a pot to cook.  Add cream and thickener (corn starch or flour) when everything is mostly done cooking.  On the side, take some premade pie crusts and cut circles to fit inside the bowls you plan to serve it in, and cook for 10 minutes, or until done.  Spoon up the "filling" and top with the "crust."

Lazy omellets (aka Frittata) are a big one around here.  Sautee vegetables in a skillet.  When they're close to being done, add beaten eggs to cover and cook on low until almost done.  Top with cheese and stick under the broiler for a few minutes.

2009-01-14 12:29 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA
I have a theory that when a child experiences true hunger, they become increasingly less picky as the hunger intensifies.

My wife never let me test this theory as we also have a picky daughter. I feel your pain.
2009-01-14 12:32 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

There are some days where telling the 6 year old to HTFU and eat their meal, whether or not they had that same meal a few days before, otherwise they can go to bed hungry and they can't have anything else, and, they better not get into the cookies, etc. afterwards.  That works 99% of the time for me.  Not being smarmy here since it happens at my house, but I do not say "HTFU".

2009-01-14 12:40 PM

User image

Master
State of Confusion
I have the same problem with my 8 year old daughter. Food can be used as a source of power, so I do not engage my daughter in power struggles over food. I remember my mom making me sit at the table until I ate my peas. I often fell asleep at the table. It taught me nothing, except I could win if I waited it out long enough. My daughter has the same stubborn streak. The things she does eat are nutritious, so I try not to worry. Her ped. assures me she is healthy and growing just fine. I do give her pediasure as a supplement becuase her anti-seizure med suppresses her appetite. I just try to set a good example, not engage in power struglles and give her nutritous choices so she feels she has a say. I think/hope she will outgrow this, but then again, she is picky like her dad. :-) I've also tried the "sneaky" methods of giving her more veggies (she loves fruit) but she knows. Short of pureeing the vegetables I give her the veggies she will eat often, which at the moment is only carrots. ::sigh::   Yes, I feel your pain too.
2009-01-14 12:44 PM
in reply to: #1907248

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
1stTimeTri - 2009-01-14 1:32 PM

There are some days where telling the 6 year old to HTFU and eat their meal, whether or not they had that same meal a few days before, otherwise they can go to bed hungry and they can't have anything else, and, they better not get into the cookies, etc. afterwards.  That works 99% of the time for me.  Not being smarmy here since it happens at my house, but I do not say "HTFU".

Yah, we do that too.  But honestly, I'm looking for some variety too.  As my wife is too, I'm sure.  She'd eat pasta everyday if I let her, same with chicken. 

2009-01-14 1:49 PM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Brock Samson - 2009-01-14 1:07 PM

OK, I've got a 6 year old daughter.  I do the cooking for the family.  I get home from work around 5:30 and my daughter goes to bed at 8:00.

My daughter is a picky eater: chicken nuggets, pasta w/ red sauce, bean tacos, no green veggies, although now all of  a sudden she likes broccoli.

Give me some quick suggestions (recipes if applicable) for an easy to prepare, kid friendly, nutritious meal.  I'm at a loss, I'm doing the same meals over and over and over.

I have a 6 year old too and I think I'm lucky that she's not picky but everyone has their moments. And when she is super picky, she either eats it or she'll be hungry - her choice.

One of her favorite things I make is a veggie and sausage pasta dish. She might like it because it's sort of like normal pasta but with a bunch of veggies. I use turkey sausage, red and green bell peppers, eggplant, zucchini, diced tomatoes and sometimes fresh tomatoes if I have any. It's a chunky sauce that goes over any kind of pasta.

Does you daughter like quesadillas? I swear my daughter would eat cheese quesadillas everyday if I let her. I make them with different kinds of 2% milk cheese, some chicken and sometimes black beans or pinto beans.

Grilled BBQ chicken is also a staple at our house.

What about pizza? You can do a homemade pizza that's good with chicken, broccoli (and sometimes I do cauliflower too) and cheddar cheese mixed with the mozzarella.

Good luck, it's hard with a picky eater! (I'll try to think of some others too)

2009-01-14 2:33 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Need help feeding 6 year old Rss Feed