34F / 1C
Overcast
Total Time = 40m 56s
Overall Rank = 3/
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 0600.

Ate waffles with syrup, some juice and a big glass of water, and finally a banana.

Took care of bidness, packed up the car, and left at 0700.

Arrived at Clayton State @ 0815, registered, and met Jonathan Daniel (Jon311024). We talked for a few mins, then parted ways to warm up.
Event warmup:

Ran around the hilly parking lot surrounding the registration building a few times. I really wanted to get a good warm up in. Temp was cold, with wind chill bringing it down to high 20s.

Met up with Jon and ran up to the start point. We talked a little about what to expect.

1 minutes before the start, ate/slurped a gel down and seeded myself in the front of the pack. All the really young runners did the same and it was a little crowded. BTW, the 5K and 10K runners started en masse.
Run
  • 40m 56s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 06m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off great. From the very beginning, a runner "peloton" was immediately formed and all the top 5K/10K finishers were there. The sprinters and young kids fell out in the first half mile. Some were huffing and puffing, some were grunting, and there was one kid that was yelling/grunting. My guess is that he was trying to pump himself up. As I passed him, I told him that he was doing great. I wanted to encourage him on the run. I think he won his AG.

After the first mile, there were about 10 (or so) runners in front of me. No way to tell who was a 5K/10K. Top runner was about 1/5 of a mile ahead at this point.

At the start of the third mile, I pulled up into 5th OA. I decided I would attempt to catch the front runners. At the end of the 3rd mile, the 5K runners had to veer off to the right. I saw the front runner (Jon, 1/4 mile ahead)...I was second at this point.

I kept hearing footsteps behind me, but I wasn't looking back. Looking back is a sign of weakness. To me, it signifies you're worried about the runner behind you. It might give him/her the push they need to pass you...

At mile 4.5, the OA Masters winner (and 2nd OA) passed me. He'd been on my tail for a while. I think he used me (rabbit) and then tried to pick off Jon. I commented that he was having a good race and he reciprocated the comment. He proceeded to put distance between us, but I didn't have much left.

Start of 6 mile and I was thinking sub 40. The hills there quickly squashed that goal. I dropped down a gear, but was still running hard.

Hammer time! Last quarter mile I used every single ounce of strength I had left. I was sprinting hard, trying to catch up to the next guy. Didn't happen and I rolled to a finish.

Saw Jon and OA Masters winner at the finish. I was third OA. At the time, I didn't know the Masters winner was over 40, so I thought I had a 2nd AG win.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I ran hard. Stayed in Zone 4 for most of the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, congratulated Jon, and then we walked back to the registration area. Drank gatorade, a fusion drink, and ate a banana.

I knew I had placed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much, other than not training enough.

Event comments:

Good race, event started on time, and swag was ok.

Post race (awards) sucked. Announcer would call out name and they wouldn't wait for awardees to come out and get recognized. They'd pass the awards into the stands.

A bunch of kids were also being really loud in the bleacher areas.

I hope they make it (award ceremony) a little more official next time, maybe include podiums.

Last updated: 2009-01-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:40:56 | 06.2 miles | 06m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 3/
Performance: Good
**Times are not official. Lap Time 1 06m 12s 2 06m 12s 3 07m 01s 4 06m 31s 5 06m 42s 6 07m 17s 7 01m 01s
Course: Course was tough. The RD stated that it was a peachtree qualifier race, and that a lot of ppl race their best times on this course...um, yeah right. Maybe your best time if it's your first race! Course was fairly hilly, especially on the 3rd/6th miles. The course was a 5K loop, so 10K runners had to run it twice. All right turns, running on some big 2 lane roads, then through a neighborhood, and finally on a 2 lane road next to train tracks before turning back into Clayton U. campus.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-01-19 3:15 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: Freedom Run

2009-01-19 8:19 PM
in reply to: #1916701

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Freedom Run
Sounds like a tough race, awesome job!
2009-01-20 9:54 AM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

"I hope they make it (award ceremony) a little more official next time, maybe include podiums. "

You had you speech ready didn't you?  

Great race.  You were really moving.

2009-01-20 11:16 AM
in reply to: #1917919

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
brown_dog_us - 2009-01-20 10:54 AM

"I hope they make it (award ceremony) a little more official next time, maybe include podiums. "

You had you speech ready didn't you?  

Great race.  You were really moving.

it was only 3 pages long!

2009-01-20 9:25 PM

User image

Alpharetta, GA

Congratulations Ron!  Sounds like another great run for you.  BT'ers take first and 3rd overall - great job.  Did you guys try to recruit the masters winner to the site to make it a clean sweep?

-mm 

2009-01-29 6:44 AM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Wow, great race report. I liked your "looking back is a sign of weakness" thing. Interesting, I do that alot at the end of my tris. Have to think about that.

I bet if it was a flatter course, you'd definitely have gotten sub 40! So close - you did great! I'm highly impressed with your pace, can you tell?!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Freedom Run Rss Feed