General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Too much Foam Rolling and Stretching? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-20 6:05 PM

User image

Subject: Too much Foam Rolling and Stretching?

Since ramping up my mileage to quickly to try and train for a marathon in 6 weeks back in late October, I've been battling ITBS and I'm certain the ITBS originated from weakened psoas muscles http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psoas_major_muscle . 

Determined to rehab I have been foam rolling twice a day, doing psoas and IT band stretches religiously for 25 minutes a day and occasionally using the stick (www.thestick.com).  I've been following this regiment for two months, I also started Yoga a few weeks ago, and as silly as it sounds: I think I'm getting sore from too much foam rolling and stretching.  Does anyone know if this is possible?   Too stretch and foam roll to excess? 

I've been running slowly, and keeping the mileage low, for a few weeks with no pain.  Should I stop foam rolling?  Or just cut it down by 50%?  The reason I ask is because I have a few spots on my leg that are sore and they were never sore before, so I'm thinking it's from too much stretching manipulation and pretending my legs muscles have been baker's dough for the last two months. 

2009-01-21 12:24 AM
in reply to: #1919007

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Subject: RE: Too much Foam Rolling and Stretching?

My chiropractor has recommended that I use the stick and the foam roller in addition to stretching my ITB (mine hurts up by my hip).  But, I'm not to rub or massage it more than every other day, as it can make it more inflamed. He really stressed that point.

I can stretch everyday, even several times a day, provided my muscles are warm from either exercise or a hot shower/bath.

2009-01-21 1:27 AM

New user

if your foam roller is pretty hard and your doing 2x serious foam roller session a day for a few weeks you could easily develop a soreness from it for sure.  I don't have a foam roller, but rather one of the "roller balls" (for lack of a better word, I can't recall the name/brand), where you can pump it up and make it harder or softer, I find it softer to handle than a foam roller, and still seems to do the trick.   Lay off the roller for a bit.  Do you still have any pain when running at all?

Dealing with an IT band issue myself, did some stretches and exercises, but what really helped the most, after the inflammation went down, was strength training on my legs: squats, lunges and some of the machines in the gym, as well as core training. 

2009-01-21 6:56 AM

Extreme Veteran
OKC
Foam roller never did a thing for my ITB, but did make my outer quads sore. Good for you for thinking about the cause of your tight ITB. What are you doing to strengthen the psoas?
2009-01-21 7:29 AM

Expert
Southeast
The roller is similar to deep massage in what it does to your muscle.  And yes, too much deep massage is not good, and will make you sore.
2009-01-21 8:14 AM

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland, FL
I was told by my trainer not to foam roll before a hard run, you can do damage.

Edited by flmonkey_gbp 2009-01-21 8:17 AM

2009-01-21 8:25 AM

User image

Expert
The foam roller is childs play compared to this:

http://www.tptherapy.com/

If you want to get better quickly go to the above web site and spend the money on the hip dysfunction kit. It targets the following things:

Psoas
Quads
IT Band
Piriformis
Soleus

Be warned. If you think the foam roller hurts your in for a rude awakening. But the good news is that after about 2-3 weeks of working with this product for no more than 30 minutes a day all of my injuries (Injuries that I had for 7 months) started to turn around and go away completely.

I am for the first time in almost a year 100%. I am almost scared to say it out loud....

BTW.. I have absolutely no vested interest in TP Therapy. I just believe that the product is by far the best out there.

Good luck. Any questions please let me know.

2009-01-21 8:41 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Unfortunately these things take a while to heal. So, I do think you're probably overdoing the stretching by doing it everyday as I assume you're not running every day (IMHO, i am just forumite, and not a pt). I suggest working in some strength in to address the muscle issue.

When I had ITBS stretching and massage were good but my PT also gave me some strength exercises which helped alot too. Targetting those weak areas. The stretches were great but i didn't do them everyday and I don't recall the instruction from my PT were to do it every day. I practised yoga twice a week.  I eased back into mileage slowly (it was really really hard to be patient),  I monitored the pain and built the stretching in for post run only - I built back up to four days a week.

Best of luck!

2009-01-21 8:55 AM
in reply to: #1919541

User image

madkat - 2009-01-21 1:24 AM

My chiropractor has recommended that I use the stick and the foam roller in addition to stretching my ITB (mine hurts up by my hip).  But, I'm not to rub or massage it more than every other day, as it can make it more inflamed. He really stressed that point.

... as much reading as I've done ... I've never read or heard that.  Uh oh.  Thanks for the heads up!!

2009-01-21 8:58 AM
in reply to: #1919560

User image

Eessor - 2009-01-21 2:27 AM

if your foam roller is pretty hard and your doing 2x serious foam roller session a day for a few weeks you could easily develop a soreness from it for sure.  I don't have a foam roller, but rather one of the "roller balls" (for lack of a better word, I can't recall the name/brand), where you can pump it up and make it harder or softer, I find it softer to handle than a foam roller, and still seems to do the trick.   Lay off the roller for a bit.  Do you still have any pain when running at all?

Dealing with an IT band issue myself, did some stretches and exercises, but what really helped the most, after the inflammation went down, was strength training on my legs: squats, lunges and some of the machines in the gym, as well as core training. 

I haven't had any IT Band pain, I've been having pain and soreness in other areas that I've never had problems with.  As usual, I think I've overdone -- this time with the rehabbing. 

I've also been strength training and it's made a big difference already.  The one-legged legg presses seem to work wonders on strenghtening my hips and glutes.

I've foam rolled so much, the usually IT Band rolling is no longer painful.  I think I'll stick with the stretching and seriously cut back on using the foam and the stick. 

2009-01-21 9:00 AM
in reply to: #1919635

User image

What are you doing to strengthen the psoas?

Core work, specific stretches, and weights (leg press and using hip abductor machines).  Oh, and I also started doing Yoga.

2009-01-21 12:23 PM
in reply to: #1919663

Extreme Veteran

mdickson68 - 2009-01-22 12:29 AM The roller is similar to deep massage in what it does to your muscle.  And yes, too much deep massage is not good, and will make you sore.

Why is too much deep massage is not good?

2009-01-21 1:31 PM
in reply to: #1920392

User image

Gerrard - 2009-01-21 1:23 PM

mdickson68 - 2009-01-22 12:29 AM The roller is similar to deep massage in what it does to your muscle.  And yes, too much deep massage is not good, and will make you sore.

Why is too much deep massage is not good?

I would imagine and guess it breaks down the muscle continuously and does not allow it to recover and heal.  Just a guess.

2009-01-21 2:25 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
My massage therapist said to be really careful with the stick. He said when used properly it can really help, but that it is very easy to use too much or go too deep and cause further injury. I never tried the stick, but this is what he told me when I was considering it. He just warned me to be careful if I tried that route.
2009-01-22 8:13 AM
in reply to: #1920672

User image

erin116 - 2009-01-21 3:25 PM My massage therapist said to be really careful with the stick. He said when used properly it can really help, but that it is very easy to use too much or go too deep and cause further injury. I never tried the stick, but this is what he told me when I was considering it. He just warned me to be careful if I tried that route.

This is true.  I used the stick on the back of me knee, where there is little to no meat or muscles, and it caused some tendon soreness that I had not had prior.

Thanks to everyone who responded in this thread.  I have not foam rolled for three days straight and my leg feels hundred times better -- it actually feels about 95% back to normal!     As usual, I do thinks to excess and the extreme

From now on I will make sure to Foam Roller only every other day - at the most.  I will also only very lightly foam roll before a run, as it makes sense now that I don't want to break down and aggravate the IT Band too much right before I run ; rather simply and lightly loosen it up. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Too much Foam Rolling and Stretching? Rss Feed