General Discussion Triathlon Talk » toe numbness Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-21 12:47 AM

User image

Expert
In limbo
Subject: toe numbness
This isn't really a tri-specific question but I thought maybe someone here would have some ideas on it.  Both my big toes have gone completely numb.  I think it's because of my ski boots.  I just got new custom fit ski boots.  They are made to fit my foot exactly, which is great for skiing but was causing a lot of pressure on my toes when standing still or walking in my boots.  I went back to the store and they shaved out a bit of the liner to give my toes more room.  It feels much better now, but weeks later my toes are still numb all the time.  It's not that big of a deal, it's just really strange.  Is this something I should be worried about, or I should just let it go?  I'm a major hypochondriac so this kind of stuff worries me!

2009-01-25 6:21 PM
in reply to: #1919545

User image

Regular
Tampa, Florida
Subject: RE: toe numbness

I am not in the medical field, but I have discussed this recently with my doctor because I had some numbness in my toes while cycling (on my mountain bike, not tri-bike).  It sounds to me that somehow the ski boots may have either pinched a nerve or slowed the blood flow causing the numbness.  The fact that your toes are still numb weeks later may be a sign that you should probably have your doctor check it out.  Before you go, however, you could always try some basic stretching of the foot and calf, foot massaging (especially around the metarsal heads and by rolling the foot over a tennis ball) and the exercise where you pick up a towel with your toes (bare foot).  If that doesn't help I would definitely see your doctor. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » toe numbness Rss Feed