General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race your strength, train your weakness Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-21 2:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Subject: Race your strength, train your weakness

OK, I have a question about this. I think I understand the theory but when thinking about it in a triathlon setting, how would it translate?

For example, I am a relatively strong swimmer (top 15% in the two tris I have done), very average cyclist (middle of pack in both) and OK runner (except that I am usually tired after the bike, so I become a worse runner than I actually am...if that makes any sense). My question is this: If I were to race my strength, that would be swimming as fast as possible,  coasting on the bike (my weakest event) and then trying to get in a solid run. However, going as fast as possible in the first part of a 3 part event seems a little counterintuitive to me (I would never do that in, say, a half marathon). Also, the cycling and running portion are disproportionately long, compared to the swim, so busting my tail on the swim might only gain a minute or two, versus on the bike where upping the pace translates into larger time gains. Thoughts anyone? And obviously, training my weakness would be concentrating on the bike...I got that part :-)

2009-01-21 2:46 PM
in reply to: #1920718

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Race your strength, train your weakness

No, that is not really quite accurate.

Racing your strength means doing as well as you can in the other events to the limit of your abilities while taking advantage of your strength in one or more events.

For a strong swimmer, that does not mean hammering the swim and then being dead on the bike hoping to survive to the run.  It means that you can push a solid pace on the swim and come out of the water toward the front end, allowing you to be more relaxed on the bike and near the pointier end of the field.  Yes, some or many may pass you back, but you have given yourself the opportunity to be in a position where you come out of the water comfortably fresh and in good position.  Get what I'm saying?

The other part of it is "train your weakness."  If you have no trouble easily averaging say 1:30 pace on the swim then it will only take a relatively light maintenance schedule to keep that going through the year.  This then allows you to focus your training on your weakness (say the bike) and less on your strength.

The biggest problem with newer single sport athletes coming over to triathlons  is that they still focus a lot of their effort in training on the primary sport.  Come race day they have a really hard time on the other two and don't get why.

2009-01-21 2:47 PM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
louiskie - 2009-01-21 1:40 PM

OK, I have a question about this. I think I understand the theory but when thinking about it in a triathlon setting, how would it translate?

For example, I am a relatively strong swimmer (top 15% in the two tris I have done), very average cyclist (middle of pack in both) and OK runner (except that I am usually tired after the bike, so I become a worse runner than I actually am...if that makes any sense). My question is this: If I were to race my strength, that would be swimming as fast as possible, coasting on the bike (my weakest event) and then trying to get in a solid run. However, going as fast as possible in the first part of a 3 part event seems a little counterintuitive to me (I would never do that in, say, a half marathon). Also, the cycling and running portion are disproportionately long, compared to the swim, so busting my tail on the swim might only gain a minute or two, versus on the bike where upping the pace translates into larger time gains. Thoughts anyone? And obviously, training my weakness would be concentrating on the bike...I got that part :-)

You're right, the swim (in time) is disproportionately shorter. In your case, is your bike the better leg, or the run? (Pick which one you would be better at as a standalone event.)

If your bike is better, then I would just maintain that top 15% swim, and not worry too much about pounding it for that extra minute. Race the bike, and then try to maintain the run. If the run is better, then maintain a good pace for the bike, then race the run.

John 

2009-01-21 2:47 PM

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
From my limited experience I think I would worry more about training and less about racing strategy. So taking the old adage. Go bike and run more. If your run performance is hinderd by your lack of bike fitness, do more bike.

As far as racing strategy, on the Tritalk podcast, he went through some studies that suggested that swimming at 80% of your TT speed for the swim distance is the best. Any faster and the gains made in the swim will be lost on the bike and/or run. Slower and the loss on the swim is not made up by being fresher on the bike and/or run.

ETA: It's episode 63 of the TriTalk podcast that had the discussion on swim pacing and overall effect on your race.

Edited by graceful_dave 2009-01-21 2:54 PM
2009-01-21 2:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Thanks for the input! I appreciate it. What you say makes sense. I've just been mulling it over and wondering if I missed something. For me I think I need to work on feeling better off the bike to enable a decent run. I imagine that could be achieved by better bike and run fitness. I'll be spending more time on the bike and agree that maintaining the swim seems reasonable (those top 15% swim times were with training 1X/week on the swim, so I think I will keep doing that and spend the bulk of my time on the bike and running to try to improve those).
2009-01-21 5:19 PM

User image

Regular
I think the second part of that statement is the important one. Many triathletes tend to train their strongest event because they like to do that one more because they're good at it. Thne they ignore or shy away from the one they're bad at - I suck at swimming, so it's my least favorite to train, but it's where I will get the greatest return on training time.

2009-01-21 5:41 PM
in reply to: #1921091

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I took it a little more simply.

"race your strengths" means take advantage of what you are good at during a race (but not at the cost of the other legs). 

"train you weaknesses" is sort of obvious.  I need most work in the areas that I'm weak in.

For me, I'm a good swimmer, so at races and training, I know I don't have to worry about that portion.  Minimal training will keep me in shape.

Biking is my weakness, so I make sure all my bike workouts are quality.  If I miss a workout for a rest, it's usually a swim.

2009-01-21 6:12 PM

User image

NoVA
"Race your strength" is hard for us swimmers.   We can't go full out because we have to leave perhaps a lot more than others do who are better bikers, and certainly better runners.   Running is my weakness, I'm decent and enjoy the bike, and I love the swim.    A fair swimmer who is a decent biker and a great runner will sadly kick my butt any day.  Just the way it is.
2009-01-21 8:56 PM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX

In swimming "racing your strength" isn't about swimming harder, but rather smarter or with a clear strategy.

Last year I started swimming smarter by paying attention to where I was in the swim relative to others in my wave, paid more attention to drafting opportunities, and was willing to change pace for short periods to catch up to someone I could draft off of.

This year in larger races I'm going to try starting out faster so I don't lose those really fast swimmers at the start.  I've always just let them go since I felt more comfortable starting at a slower pace and increasing pace later. 

Brian

Edited by famelec 2009-01-21 8:57 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race your strength, train your weakness Rss Feed