General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I Screwed??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-16 10:50 AM

Rochester New York
Subject: Am I Screwed???
Well I have been working towards my goal of a 1/2 im in July since December 1st. From Dec. to Feb. 14 I was all prep. Just making sure I could start at week one of the 1/2 im plan (on this site). I was going along great. Then I got clipless pedals/shoes. I didn't have them adjusted properly and after almost 2 weeks of riding w/ them my knees were shot (I kept going b/c I thought I was adjusting to them )the dr. said the ligaments were very inflamed. Now I have been off for a week, and my Dr. said I need another 2 more weeks. I ice them 4-5 times a day, and take Advil to reduce swelling. So I can't resume "real training" until April 28. This is about 16 weeks away from my target ½ im . And this first week I was told to go light, so I wont be really back to full tilt until 15 weeks out. I am very sad about this. I have been working very hard. I have lost over 20 lbs, and now i feel like am just gaining it all back (I’m not but I feel that way) by doing nothing. I still swim 3-4x a week, and am going to strength train as well... But does anyone think that i can be prepared for my 1/2? This whole situation has gotten me so worked up... I have never done a 1/2 before (only did some sprints last summer), and was so ready to get this going.
Thanks for any support or suggestions...
Sean

2005-03-16 10:59 AM
in reply to: #130490

Elite
Livingston, MT
Subject: RE: Am I Screwed???
I basically haven't had any real run workouts in the last month because of a foot injury. I know how you feel. It is VERY frustrating to say the least. I'm still going for my 1/2 IM this weekend. You say you'd still have almost three months before the race to train. I wouldn't sweat it as that's plenty of time.
2005-03-16 11:33 AM

User image

Buttercup
Can't offer any advice on workout or healing, but I'll offer you this zen thought. Life isn't linear and your training won't always be linear. Put your emotional energy into something productive rather than getting yourself "worked up." For example:
- Are you reading everything you can about cycling so that when you're back in the saddle, your mind will be ahead of the game?
- Are you putting your additional time into your swim game, perfecting it so that when you're ready to cycle again you can give cycling the majority of your attention?
- Have you checked out any swim therapy exercises you can do to keep your leg muscles strong and supple?

Lemons, meet lemonade.
2005-03-16 11:38 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
My advice to you would be keep up the swimming and strength training. If you can get on a stationary bike and do a short workout, that is non-painful, you should be ok. Even try the stairmaster or eliptical for for additional cardio. But let pain be your guideline.
2005-03-16 11:43 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Maybe run in the pool (deep water, with floatation) to maintain running fitness?
2005-03-16 12:15 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Do whatever training you can that will increase or maintain your fitness while allowing the injury to heal. Evaluate your readiness for the Musselman (I'm assuming) later. Right now it's all speculation. The job at hand is recovering from the injury.

Do a couple of the Tuesday Run Bike Runs in Webster sometime in May to get an idea of your readiness. If you're ok do the half, if not do the Mini-Mussel sprint and maybe the Cayuga Lake Olympic in August.

I'm curious, did you put the pedals and cleats on yourself, or was it done at a local shop?

2005-03-16 12:54 PM

Rochester New York
Oh i put the pedals on myself.....Not my finest idea, i know have an apt. w/ the bike fitter next week...
2005-03-16 1:15 PM

User image

Seattle
I agree, worrying about things that are out of your control will only wreck your head. I too would try to workout in any other form that your body wwill allow you!

sidenote, when I was fitted for my roadbike, I did not get clipless pedals at first. I did add them on my own a few weeks later. Should I have changed anything by using clipless pedals. I have never had a problem!

I suppose the old saying, "don't fix what isn't broke" would apply here, but it would be nice to know if I should be doing something different... for my knees sake!

thanks and hopefully you'll have a speedy recovery.
2005-03-16 2:46 PM
in reply to: #130614

Veteran
Swindon

If your bike was set up properly in the first place (i.e. saddle inthe right place, feet sitting correctly on the pedals) then only change you would need to do would be a very small adjustment to the seat height to allow for the different depth of the shoes with the cleats on. This is notmally only a few mm, so not enough for most people to notice unless you're really fussy.

If you're using pedals with only a small amount of float (or none at all - eg look pedals with black cleats) be VERY careful to check they are set up properly - or they will mess with your knees.  Setting your cleats on your shoes correctly is critical, there's plenty of advice on here about doing it, but to paraphrase:

1 - fore/aft - initially make sure the ball of your foot is directly over the axle (normaly I take the ball of your foot as being the mid point between the bits that stick out by your big toe and little toe)

2 - Angle - you should feel NO sideways force on your legs at all when you pedal, tere's no hard and fast guideline for this as it depends on your leg moion in the pedal stroke

There's more detailed advice in other posts on the forum - just do a search and you'l get plenty of advice. Hope this helps

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I Screwed??? Rss Feed