General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training while sick... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-06 12:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Thibodaux
Subject: Training while sick...

I had a 90 minute run planned for today & woke up with a scratchy throat & a slight headache. I'm also nursing a sore quad since my speed workout on Wed. Tried to do the run anyway & felt like I was carrying a hundred lb weight on my back. I did 45 min. by the hardest & plan to try again tomorrow for the 90. Did I make a mistake by even going out and did I hurt my chance of being able to finish that 90 tomorrow? It's also 20 degrees warmer here that it has been in 2 weeks.

Cathy

2009-02-06 1:43 PM
in reply to: #1949253

New user

La Jolla
Subject: RE: Training while sick...

I'm not a pro, but I feel you should of used all of your energy to get better and heal that leg.  I wouldn't of gone out.

tom

2009-02-06 2:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota, Florida

For me, the general rule of thumb is that if you have a fever, do not train at all.  Exercise raises your core temp, and with a fever you could be pushing that to dangerous levels.  If you don't have a fever, then train if you feel up to it.  Low intensity, short duration exercise should be fine, but high intensity or high volume training may hinder your immune system's ability to fight an infection and heal other injuries (like your quad).  In other words, it probably won't kill you, but your illness may be prolonged.  It's up to you which is more important.  

In cases like this, I'd recommend someone train to what they can do rather than what a program says they're supposed to do that day.  Coaches and athletes control the program, not the other way around. 

2009-02-06 3:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Thibodaux

Thanks, guys. I think I'll take tomorrow off & see how I feel Sun. Hopefully will ba able to regroup for sure on Mon. My HIM is in April and I'm getting really nervous about the run, so it's hard to think logically at this point.

Cathy

2009-02-25 10:53 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Myers, Florida
From what I understand vigorous exercise depletes the immune system slightly, so if you are already sick and your immune system is slightly compromised already, you aren't helping yourself get better any faster.... 
2009-03-19 9:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Yesterday was an off day for me, which is good, as my head cold hit with full force. Today I had planned a run to the gym for some low impact hamster wheeling and weights. Now I've decided to forgo the weights, drive to the gym, and keep my intensity low.

My question is, what about drugs? Should I wait to take a cold remedy until after my workout? Two hours before?

I took (the last of our) tylenol cold and sinus last night that worked well for sitting on the couch. Today I took dayquil, which has not worked well. Aside from the scanty information I might find on the labels, does anyone have any advice?

2009-03-21 4:01 PM
in reply to: #2027604

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bainbridge Island, Washington
mrheathen - 2009-03-20 8:57 AM

Yesterday was an off day for me, which is good, as my head cold hit with full force. Today I had planned a run to the gym for some low impact hamster wheeling and weights. Now I've decided to forgo the weights, drive to the gym, and keep my intensity low.

My question is, what about drugs? Should I wait to take a cold remedy until after my workout? Two hours before?

I took (the last of our) tylenol cold and sinus last night that worked well for sitting on the couch. Today I took dayquil, which has not worked well. Aside from the scanty information I might find on the labels, does anyone have any advice?

Sounds like you and I got hit with the same thing at the same time! I'm not training at all...lettting the drugs do their job. But, if you insist on training, I'd rather take the drugs than be dripping snot all over the tready lol It may make you slugglish, but at least you'll feel a little better.
2009-04-03 2:14 AM

Bunbury
I have not trained in 11 days eeeeek, what started as bad hay fever one day developed into the flu over the following week then a sinus infection and toothache now I am feeling better but have hay fever again, I am dying to go for a swim and a ride but will wait another day or two, I would feel like crap if I went out and pushed my self to train, I think I must have sneezed 2000 times in the last 10 days and my whole head still feels terrible
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training while sick... Rss Feed