General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bilateral breathing- I need help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-18 10:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northeast Ohio
Subject: bilateral breathing- I need help

I've always breathed to the left (every 2 strokes) as I swim.  I had a swim coach/lifeguard give me some pointers on my stroke last year and he encouraged for me to learn bilateral breathing.  Last year I did my first tri and the swimming was really a disaster.  I got there and sure enough all the buoys were to my right and I went quite a bit off course.  As I've upped my distances this year I've noticed that my neck gets pretty tight on the left side- I suppose my body, too, is telling me that it's time to learn bilateral breathing.

Here are the questions that have popped into my mind as I try to get the hang of this:

Do I really need to breathe every 3 strokes, or is it good enough to keep the pace at every 2, just alternating right breathing on one lap, and left breathing on the other?

How much of the time your face is in the water should you be exhaling?  I seem to have the perfect rhythm with every 2 strokes, but when I spread it out to every 3, it feels like I'm not done exhaling before it's time to take another breath.

Do people breathe bilaterally all the time or do they breathe on their preferred side during races?

Thanks,

Debi

2005-03-18 10:24 AM
in reply to: #131357

User image

Expert
Olney, MD
Subject: RE: bilateral breathing- I need help
I won't answer all of your questions, but I will say this. I only breathe on one side. It's what's most comfortable for me. I was a competitive swimmer growing up and this is what I liked. Watch olympic caliber athletes swim. Many breath every two strokes... I don't think that bilateral breathing is going to improve your swimming that greatly. Just my opinion. So I say if your neck is getting sore, breathe one side the way up the pool and the other on the way back.
2005-03-18 10:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Cypress, Tx
I personally breathe every single stroke on the right side only. If my face is in the water I'm exhaling.....actually blowing bubbles.

I noticed that I do it in a rhythm. I start exhaling when my face hits the water and contiue through as my right hand enters. Then I pause....then I continue to eshale whenn my left hand enters the water...so whenmy right hand finishes its sweep and comes out I'm ready for a new breath.

I notice that I never get fatigued like this...probably because I never tax my oxygen supply.

I normally swim a mile.....but I've swam up to 2.5 miles like this and felt fresh when I finished.

I understand that no one "wants" to be slow....but really the swim is just a warm up for the bike and run....I don't want to be tired..I want to be ready.

2005-03-18 10:42 AM

Extreme Veteran
This swim coach/lifeguard was spot on with his advice.

As to breathing every 3 strokes, this is an aquired skill and takes practice. I would make an effort to become proficient at bilateral breathing. Bilateral breathing will balance out your stroke and help you with the tightness in your neck. Another thing that might help with your neck is to look more towards the bottom of the pool rather than ahead. Try to keep your neck in a neutral position, just like it would be if you were standing looking straight ahead.

You should be exhaling the entire time your face is in the water. If you have not fully exhaled by the time you are ready to take your next breath, just forcefully exhale right before you turn to breathe. With time, your breathing will settle into the rhythmn of your stroke.

How to breathe in races is very dependent on the individual. In open water, most swimmers breathe to the side the buoys are on. Since buoys may be on either side, it is important to be comfortable breathing in both directions. In pool races, most swimmers breathe on both sides to keep an eye on the competition. I have seen many swimmers get touched out at the wall because they only breathed on one side and someone snuck up on the other side.

Edited by Hermom 2005-03-18 10:46 AM
2005-03-18 11:01 AM

User image

Buttercup

I advocate bilateral breathing simply because you will gain confidence and be more capable when you have versatility in your stroke and when you can 'switch hit' when the circumstances call for it. When you are prepared for anything during your competition, you will be better able to focus all your mental energy on simply executing your good form.

Aside from that, it also puts equal pressure on each arm when you consistently breathe bilaterally. This will even out your stroke strength and form. I recently discovered that I didn't bi-breathe as capably as I had imagined; while breathing just on my left side (I favor my right) I discovered that my right arm was weaker than my left arm. My left arm never tires like my right arm did so I've added some left breathing distances to my training plan to strengthen my arm and improve my bi-breathing form (and overall stroke).

As far as how often, bear in mind that swimming is a rhythm thing. Find a rhythm that you're comfortable with, then work on perfecting your form.

2005-03-18 11:24 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

I like to bilateral breathe for all the same reasons mentioned above.  But mainly, it keeps one arm from getting too tired :-)

When I start going really fast, I can't wait three strokes to breathe.  One pattern I like is to breathe after three, then do two breaths to one side, go three strokes and take two breaths to the other side.  It gives me slightly more air and doesn't wear out one arm.  When I go even faster I start doing more than two on a side before switching.  Eventually, you get so good at bilateral breathing that you don't even think about it anymore.  You just breath when you need air and the bilateral thing happens on its own.  Maybe try doing some breathing drills...isntead of trying to go the whole length every three, do the side-switching thing I mentioned above...3...2...2...2...3...2...2...2...3 etc.  Then increase to 3...2...2...3....2...2...3....etc.

As for exhaling the whole time...I still don't get that right.  I think I pause a bit before exhaling.  And I have noticed that if I am doing breathing exercises and going five strokes between breaths, I have to wait the first two strokes before I exhale or I get air hunger.  Probably not right, but it's what works for me.

2005-03-18 11:58 AM

User image

I am with Odogg and cmikul on this one. Former competetive (well, I was on the team) swimmer and water polo player (which can really screw up your stroke) I can bilateral breathe, I just don't very often (usually just in drills).  If your "neck" is getting stiff, it would seem to me you are turning your neck rather than rolling your head with your body.  Think of it like your neck is in a brace.  Your neck should not be twiwting to breath.

As far as arms getting tired, and how often to breath, I am of the humble opinion that there is absolutely no need to go anaerobic on the swim (unless you are sprinting all out).  During warmups I start every fourth stroke, after a couple hundred yards I breathe every stroke.  If you are doing hypoxic (?) sets, mixing it up is OK, but I just don't see the need to starve the muscles (I do that enough in flip turns).  Personally, I don't find that one arm gets more tired than the other when I breathe to one side.

YMMV

Chris

2005-03-18 12:00 PM

User image

Expert
Potomac, Maryland
I learned to do bilateral breathing and found that it did not take long to get comfortable with breathing from either side.  However, I  find that it is more difficult to breathe every third stroke for extended periods of time.  I also suspect it's less efficient as you are doing more work with the same amount of air.  Consequently, I don't usually breathe every third stroke unless I have to, and then only for a short period.  More often I alternate my breathing side for a length or two to give my muscles a break and change the scenery.  It's also a confidence builder to know you can do it in an open water swim to help keep mouthfuls of water to a minimum, and to sight buoys, competitors, and congestion.
2005-03-18 12:10 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-03-18 12:11 PM

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
I'd say breath whatever makes you feel comfortable, so if that's breathing only to your left, so be it. But to throw in bilateral laps toward the end of every swimming day, just to know it, so if a day comes like it did on your first tri, you won't be stuck.

In regards to your neck sore, I don't have that problem, so I would suspect you are not rolling your body enough and over exending your neck too much.

Edited by auto208562 2005-03-18 12:12 PM
2005-03-18 12:13 PM

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Don't confuse terms like "bilateral breathing" and "third stroke breathing" with the ability to breath on both sides.

You DO need to learn to breath on both sides for good tri swimmign for the reasons you already mentioned. You DO NOT need to breath every third stroke, either to learn it, in practice, or in competition.

I breath every 2, 4 or sometimes 6th stroke to the same side of the pool every length so that my breathing is balanced when I practice. If it is daytime, I always breath towards the window side of the pool. If it is dark out, I breath towards teh wall side.

2005-03-18 1:02 PM

Truckee, CA
Subject: OW Swimming vs. Pool Swimming
In reading the posts above, I'm not sure if everyone is differentiating Open Water swimming skills from Pool swimming skills.

Full disclosure: Competitive swimmer for 12+ years, 1:01 2.4 mile swim time, occasional coach for friends and others that need help.

As we all know, when we swim in a pool you don't have to worry about direction or sighting a line. You have that nice, black line down below you, and lane lines on either side. Given that environment, you don't need to bilateral breathe. You can breathe every stroke, and exhale every stroke. That's why Ian Thorpe can breate on one side and kick ass.

Open water swimming is a different animal, and I don't think enough triathletes practice in open water, or focus on developing skills in the pool that will translate into open water. And, for open water swimming, bilateral breathing is close to a *must have* skill in order to hold a consistent line, and swim efficiently. Especially during races.

You need three things to breathe bilaterally well: (1) a neutral head position (can't look up and forward, must look down), (2) good neck flexibility, and (3) rhthym.

I like your suggestion of the swimming one lap breathing on the right, and then one lap breathing on the left. That will help you build #2 and #3. I'd also recommend breathing twice on the right, and then switching to twice on the left. Again, looking for balance and rythym than speed. Speed will come with efficiency. Look to exhale slowly and consistently while your head is underwater through your nose to help build this circular breathing pattern while you swim.

Good luck - bilateral breathing is tough thing to learn, but a skill that will take your swimming to the next level in racing.
2005-03-18 2:02 PM

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL

I found that to achieve bilateral breathing you just have to make it a regular part of drilling & work on it until it becomes routine. I breathe 2 laps right side, 2 laps left side which also helps me keep up with lap counts.

Edited by pkingfl 2005-03-18 2:02 PM
2005-03-18 3:11 PM

Elite

I breathe toward the side with the cute girls in the lane.  If I am surrounded by cute girls, I breathe bilaterally.

TW

2005-03-18 3:22 PM

chicago, il
I'm with Chris M & tech geezer - You shouldn't strain your neck as your head should roll with the body to breath - it doesn't turn or lift alone. Any neck straining should be saved for the ladies.
2005-03-18 5:40 PM
in reply to: #131499

tech_geezer - 2005-03-18 1:11 PM

I breathe toward the side with the cute girls in the lane.  If I am surrounded by cute girls, I breathe bilaterally.

TW

LOL, you don't know how true that is....  Our gym's jacuzzi is right next to the pool, so  I try to breath right going out, left coming back, if the situation warrants it

signed

dirty old man

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bilateral breathing- I need help Rss Feed